http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:50:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're In the Mood for A Drink. What's Your Pleasure?  (Read 991 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

When I partake, I'm usually a Gin Tom Collins type guy or fancy a rum and Coke.  But I got introduced to this a few weeks back and it was amazing:

TOUR OF THE SOUTH

3 peach slices
2 lemon slices
½ oz honey syrup
2 dashes of bitters
1 ½ oz bourbon
club soda, if desired

First time I'd ever had bourbon and I went ahead and had a second.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »

Baltimore Zoo

1 shot vodka
1 shot light rum
1 shot gin
1 shot triple sec
1 shot Southern Comfort® peach liqueur
1 shot amaretto almond liqueur
1 shot grenadine syrup
1 dash sweet and sour mix
1 splash of Natty Boh

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »

Vodka Martini.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »

With my low-carb life, I end up having either :

a) Canadian 67
b) Canadian 67 Sublime (which is thankfully not the supersweet lime-like additive other brands use)
c) Michelob Ultra

All low carb.  C is very refined and is a smooth beer, but by no means is it terrific. Low sugar intake also means I get drunk very quickly. The Canadian 67 is the closest to real beer, including a bit of the aftertaste. The Sublime is great in the backyard in a hammock.

If I "hop off the wagon for a bit" I love Ginger beer. Not the non-alchoholic crap, and not the sweet kind. The kick-you-in-the-junk-bitter kind. I don't mind IPA's - Alexander Keith's being one of my favorites, as well as dark ales.

Were I to go get drunk, it'd probably be Mount Gay Rum, Glenfiddich, or perhaps Blueberry tea.

I used to drink a lot of shots and shooters in a row ... a buddy of mine and I would do that together and we called it the landing strip. We'd sometimes do this two or three times a night at the bar. I do NOT have the tolerance for it now.

7 shots each + beer chaser. The first and second-last were flaming Sambuca's - a snakebite would be in there somewheres, sometimes a *6/49, and the last shot would always be vodka. The beer chaser was so sweet after the vodka.

As for the 6/49, we have a lottery here called the 6/49. The drink isn't based on a recipe - it's an act of random chances.

6 bottles from the left-side (or of the last bottle of the last order) for the first 1/2oz, 4 back for ~1/3oz, and nine to the right for a splash. No matter the outcome, you still won because you still ended up drunk. biggrin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:36:30 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »

reverse osmosis filtered water neat

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »

If I'm going beer, it's an ale.  lately, it's been my standby, Men's Room Red by Elysian.  I am looking forward to a seasonal winter ale from Silver City soon though. 

I brought back a nice mead from Poland and am looking for a local variant that comes close.  I've also got a French cognac that I'll bring out on family gatherings that's excellent. 

I don't drink hard liquor that often though.  mostly a beer guy.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »

Really, really depends on my mood. I don't really have a go-to drink but I guess the two I drink most often are a Manhattan (typically Makers but if they have a good Rye I'll do that) or a Martini (Gin, preferably Hendricks served up with a twist or blue-cheese olives if available).
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »

99% of the time it's beer. The specifics depend on the season and what's on sale. During the fall (and again in the spring) I'm partial to red ales, brown ales, rye beers, black lagers, etc -- full-bodied beers that still have a strong hop profile. Lately Sierra Nevada's Flipside has been my go-to. When winter sets in I'll drink more stouts and porters. Come summer it's mostly IPA, sometimes wheat beers on very hot days.

The other 1% of the time it's either scotch, neat, or red wine.

I haven't liked sweet or fruity drinks since I was a child. Used to drink rum & coke, black russians, and tequila sunrises when I was a teenager but I outgrew them by my 20s.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »

It's an incredibly wide range for me.

Beer-wise... I've been a hop-head the last several years but I'm beginning to moderate on that, especially since this summer. Pretty much my rule there is "something new over anything I've had before". I've had more good beer experiences out of homebrew kegs and growlers than I have picking up cases or six-packs from a store. The fridge right now has a bunch of Heady Topper Double IPA, some Blue Moon, an Imperial pilsner from Magic Hat, and some limited run stuff from Long Trail - and I just got a fancy new growler this weekend as a gift from my parents, so I'll likely venture out tonight to get that filled (maybe a pilsner or an Octoberfest, or an ESB).

I also keep a pretty stocked bar, though. Top three drinks for 'at home' are gin martinis (Hendricks being the favorite), sweet and often with a little St. Germain for good measure, sidecars, or some variation on an Old-Fashioned. I also have a pretty wide assortment of stuff for having neat, though, and whether I want something smooth or spicy or rough will pretty well dictate what I have. I've experimented with my own margaritas the last couple months as well, to middling-to-pleasing results.

Wine is typically not my thing - I'll generally keep a dry Chilean red for the table just in case the mood takes me, and I got a bottle of Chardonnay and a good pinot noir from a tasting this weekend, but it's not uncommon for me to have next to nothing accessible on hand.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »

I don't drink very often, but love me some Pyramid Apricot Ale when I can get my hands on it.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »

Clanwolfer, are you in VT? Heady Topper supposedly doesn't circulate more than 30 miles from the brewery, or so I've read. I never see it around here, anyway. Thinking about making an overnight pilgrimage to Waterbury this fall.

This summer I drank a lot of Wachusett Light IPA. It's the only light beer I've come across with enough flavor to actually enjoy and at 140 calories a can my waistline appreciated the choice.

In MA it's illegal for a brewer to fill somebody else's growler. Stupid protection racket.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on September 30, 2013, 08:42:18 PM

Clanwolfer, are you in VT? Heady Topper supposedly doesn't circulate more than 30 miles from the brewery, or so I've read. I never see it around here, anyway. Thinking about making an overnight pilgrimage to Waterbury this fall.

This summer I drank a lot of Wachusett Light IPA. It's the only light beer I've come across with enough flavor to actually enjoy and at 140 calories a can my waistline appreciated the choice.

In MA it's illegal for a brewer to fill somebody else's growler. Stupid protection racket.

I am not - I'm in NYC now but I made a pilgrimage up to Alchemist when I was in the area a couple months back on vacation, and came back with two cases that I have been judiciously and carefully going through, as it's absolutely my favorite hoppy beer (that's also where the Long Trail limited stuff came from). Once those are gone I'll likely have a much wider mix of stuff on hand.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »

dbt1949's Original Homebrew Moonshine.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »

Duchess du Borgoine, belgian ale.

Although when I need something strong, it's whiskey speyside, usually around 12 year.

But craft root beer is my favorite.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

Lots and lots of water.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »

I love Manhattans but I'm inept at making them at home.  If I'm in the mood for something that strong, I'll either attempt a Manhattan and fail or just pour the bourbon and have it by itself.  Amazingly, I am able to not screw up straight bourbon.

But more often than not, a beer is what sounds best, and I usually go for IPAs these days. 

If I'm in the mood for wine, it'll be a Cabernet.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:52 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on September 30, 2013, 08:47:53 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on September 30, 2013, 08:42:18 PM

I am not - I'm in NYC now but I made a pilgrimage up to Alchemist when I was in the area a couple months back on vacation, and came back with two cases that I have been judiciously and carefully going through, as it's absolutely my favorite hoppy beer (that's also where the Long Trail limited stuff came from). Once those are gone I'll likely have a much wider mix of stuff on hand.

Long Trail has improved immensely over the past few years, ever since they took over Otter Creek (which also benefited). I've never had Heady Topper but have read that it's one of the three top-rated beers in the world. Also that its brewer recommends drinking it (heresy!) straight from the can. I've gotta make that VT trip one day soon.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 01:52:54 AM »

Gibson, I shouldn't have to say it, but gin. (A martini with an onion)

Scotch, neat. Will drink anything but prefer Chivas Regal 18

A good IPA. We recently got New Belgium's stuff down here in FL. Love Ranger. Fortunately I am moving back to a better beer area soon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:04:40 AM by Lee » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:14 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 30, 2013, 11:29:04 PM

I love Manhattans but I'm inept at making them at home.

The same. That goes for an Old Fashioned as well. Only order in restaurants.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »

Beer mostly.  On occasion, I'll throw some black rum into a glass with a soda, usually Mt. Dew.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:32 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 01, 2013, 01:55:14 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 30, 2013, 11:29:04 PM

I love Manhattans but I'm inept at making them at home.

The same. That goes for an Old Fashioned as well. Only order in restaurants.

I can definitely make a Manhattan at home, but definitely cannot make an Old Fashioned. The latter requires too much effort.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 02:56:39 AM »

Scotch, neat. Single malt. Maybe a dash of water.

When I'm socializing, a seasonal beer.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »

I've been doing a shit ton of rye and coke lately.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

Milk!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 01, 2013, 04:11:49 PM

Milk!

I know it's ignorant to say this, but I didn't realize people still drink milk outside of elementary school. Just something you don't see often anymore. At least I don't.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 02:21:49 AM »

I have a glass of milk with lunch every day. I do not think of that as having a drink, though.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »

I rarely drink so... Roll Eyes

Usually beer. Well duh! IPA, stouts, sours, Belgium's, ciders, to a lesser degree, barley wines, porters, pale ales, umm, I really don't dislike anything made well anymore. Right now having a southern tier live(bottle conditioned pale ale). Probably will have a founders breakfast stout after, maybe followed by a 3 Floyd's dreadnaught(dipa). Last night had a bunch of founders all day IPA and a few lagunitas pale ale. Other than beer I like bourbons and tequila. Woodford reserve is awesome for the price. For tequila, Milagro reposato is killer for the money to sip on.

Lie I said I rarely drink..
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:21 AM »

Quote from: Roman on October 01, 2013, 03:29:39 AM

I love the phrase "shit ton"!!!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:08 AM »

Heady topper! Duchess!!! Jerks here are making me thirsty! icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »

Quote from: Roman on October 01, 2013, 03:29:39 AM

you left some on your nose biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

99% of the time... beer.

The other 1% is probably 80% Canadian or Irish whiskey (maybe a Maker's or Woodford on a rare occasion) on the rocks, with the remainder being vodka martinis, extra clean, extra vermouth... that's probably my favorite drink, but too deadly to have very often.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »

for beers it mainly depends on the season:

spring/summer

late summer/fall

anytime

for the hard stuff I'm a bit more particular:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »

Scotch, typically Aberlour or Lagavulin. Sometimes rum, which I favor El Dorado or Ron Zacapa.

Beer is seasonal, but my go to beers are Harpoon UFO and Cigar City Maduro.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 02, 2013, 01:49:06 AM

Milk!

I know it's ignorant to say this, but I didn't realize people still drink milk outside of elementary school. Just something you don't see often anymore. At least I don't.

Do you not eat cereal?

I used to be a heavy milk drinker but since I've been trying to lose weight I'd say I average 2-3 glasses a week.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2013, 08:40:47 PM

Milk!

Do you not eat cereal?

I used to be a heavy milk drinker but since I've been trying to lose weight I'd say I average 2-3 glasses a week.

I have been through the whole spectrum. Used to buy whole milk with cream on the top in glass bottles. As I got older and my waistline started to grow, I went to 2%, then 1%, and finally skim milk.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »

Milk!

A cup of milk, a few drops of vanilla extract and a spoon of sugar is awfully tasty.  Joke or not, given the high alcohol content in vanilla, it probably does almost quality as a mix drink as much as some other things here.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 01:41:56 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 02, 2013, 10:51:34 PM

Milk!

A cup of milk, a few drops of vanilla extract and a spoon of sugar is awfully tasty.  Joke or not, given the high alcohol content in vanilla, it probably does almost quality as a mix drink as much as some other things here.

Make "a few drops" a shot and maybe we can talk.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 02:09:09 AM »

Home made root beer, much better then anything alcoholic would be.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 04:18:10 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 03, 2013, 01:41:56 AM

Quote from: Lordnine on October 02, 2013, 10:51:34 PM

Milk!

A cup of milk, a few drops of vanilla extract and a spoon of sugar is awfully tasty.  Joke or not, given the high alcohol content in vanilla, it probably does almost quality as a mix drink as much as some other things here.

Make "a few drops" a shot and maybe we can talk.
Alcohol content in vanilla extract is a minimum 35% alcohol.  Most beer is apparently less than 10%.   icon_razz
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: