http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 01:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeehaa! New gaming laptop! Whats your rig?  (Read 867 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:19:37 AM »

I didnt really know where to put this, since its basically just a bit of bragging and showing some of you guys that I share a very particular hobby with, my latest toy for enhancing that hobby.

ahem, yes, compute gaming of course, what did you think? Anyways, my wonderfull GF noticed I was a bit miffed about my old gaming laptop, since it had some serious issues (overheating, DVD drive not working, and of course pure power) so she asked if we should go get a new one, and we immediatly did :-D

Anyways, this is the one I got me:

Acer Aspire 8943G-434G50MN

Intel Core i5-430M (2,26 GHz)   
    18,4" FULL-HD skærm med CrystalBrite (1920x1080)   
    4 GB DDR3 RAM og 500 GB harddisk   
    DVD-brænder   
    100/1000 LAN, trådløst netkort (b/g/n) og Bluetooth   
    ATI Radeon HD5850 med 1024/3067 MB og HDMI   
    Kortlæser, 1.3 MP Crystal Eye Webcam   
    8-Cells batteri, Fingeraftrykslæser   
    Windows 7 Home Premium

And let me tell you, to play Warhammer online with everything on max is great! A whole new game - Dragonage works beautifully as well. The only game so far I've had to turn the settings down from highests so far is Dawn of War 2, crazily enough... 20-40 fps with some settings on ultra is pretty good though, for a laptop in my opinion.

Interestingly enough, battery time is a joke. Up to 3 hours it says, and I'm pretty sure thats with everything set to low energy use.

So, whats new with your gaming rig?

A new one
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »

Woah! 18" screen.  Niiice.  Not portable, but nice.

I got this a couple weeks ago.  It seems to have driver issues with the graphics drivers but those are getting worked out.

ASUS G73JH-RBBX05,

# Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
# 6GB DDR3 memory
# Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
# 17.3" LED-LCD high-definition plus widescreen display
# 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
# ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics
HDMI port for connection to an HDTV.
3D Audio with EAX Advanced HD 4.0 and 2 built-in stereo speakers.

So far is just screams through everything I've thrown at it.  I'm still using the reference drivers from Dec-09 because updating the graphics drivers right now seems to muck things up unless you jump through a lot of hoops.  I have a SSD on the way and once I get that in I'll fiddle with updating the graphics drivers.

The screen resolution is limited to 1600X900 which hasn't been a big issue for me but for $1,200 clams at BB I very happy with my purchase.

Note mine is also not portable.  It's big and not light and the listed battery life is, well, generous.  However, for sitting in my easy chair and playing Eve or League of Legends or Starcraft II and not getting wife aggro because I'm no longer holed up in the computer room is well worth it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »

Aye, thats why I swear to laptops as well - I sit with them in the livingroom, so that I'm with my GF at the same time... Btw, your graphics card is the flagship of ATI these days, as I understand it, where mine arrived a week later, and is to be an affordable version of it, so I can really understand if your rocks the party with every game you throw at it :-)

And no, defintely not that portable - oh re the screen size...it really takes me a while to get used to the new formats of the screen, sooo much wider than what I'm used to, and looks a bit less tall as well, but that could be a trick of the mind, so to speak.

A new one
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »

I have a 7.5-year-old desktop machine. Haven't bought a new game in years.

I intend to replace my gaming machine next month to accommodate Civ 5. I'll get another desktop for upgradability (I have a laptop for business). Planning to spend about $1000.

I configured my past several computers at online white box/screwdriver shops and would like to buy my new machine the same way, but both of the companies I've used in the past have gone out of business. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to shop for a customized desktop machine?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Cortilian on August 16, 2010, 11:30:03 AM

Woah! 18" screen.  Niiice.  Not portable, but nice.

I got this a couple weeks ago.  It seems to have driver issues with the graphics drivers but those are getting worked out.

ASUS G73JH-RBBX05,

I was debating getting one of these too, but model a1 or a2, with blu ray and 1080p, but the length of battery life killed it for me.  some reviews were saying 2 hours on battery power.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 02:15:33 PM

I was debating getting one of these too, but model a1 or a2, with blu ray and 1080p, but the length of battery life killed it for me.  some reviews were saying 2 hours on battery power.

Yeah, battery life on this machine is not long at all.  2 hours is probably right in the area.  On a very good note though is that it is very cool.  There are 2 fans that exhaust out the rear and heat has not been an issue at all.  This isn't a computer I plan on depending on the battery for at all.  It's mostly a 'more portable desktop'.

I would have loved to ge the Blu-Ray and higher rez screen but it just wasn't in the budget. (says the guy who just bought an SSD for a boot drive)
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »

Damn, nice gaming rig. I've been laptop gaming for over 3 years now. Back then, I put together a gateway spread since they had the best value on a laptop with a proper video card and 3 year warrenty that covered EVERYTHING on the cheap. Well... After year 1, the DVD drive crapped out. After doing some reading on the web, that particular model had a working life of less than that. I didn't send it in for repairs, stupidly. Then something else went out on the system. Then something else. So about 2 years into my warrenty, I sent it in to be fixed. They fixed 1/2 of what was on the list. So I sent it in again 6 months later. Great, everything fixed, total downtime without a laptop 2-3 weeks each time. THEN my motherboard fried with about 1 week to go in my warrenty - so I sent it in again - extending my warrenty another 90 days. A week before THAT warrenty is up, the system just completely fries out. After jostling with Gateway for a bit, they agree'd to have it fixed with me only paying for shipping (they farm out their repairs to Acer). 3 weeks pass, no laptop - and I get a call from Acer. I'm scared out of my mind, thinking it's going to cost me money or something. So I call them back - and it turns out that the majority of the parts required are no longer available. At this point, I'm in shock. I had a feeling this could happen...

Then the woman on the other end of the line said: "So, we're just going to send you a brand new laptop, is that ok?"
She rips off the specs:

Acer Aspire 7745G
Intel Core i7 processor 1.6ghz, 6mb L3 cache
ATI Radeon HD 5650 1 gig
17.3 HD+ LED LCD
8GB Memory
500 GB HDD
Blu-ray Disc drive
blah blah blah
Windows 7

I give a dramatic pause and just about pass out!
I couldn't believe it, they sent me the laptop and the thing is 2-10 times as good in every aspect of the hardware compared to what i had!
Wow, I can't believe how lucky I got! Glad I spent as much as I did on warrenties - I got a brand spankin new system!
The thing is great, it runs EXTREMELY cool (shocking, my Gateway could fry eggs), and is quiet as can be.
I have 2 minor complaints, though. I've been using Windows since the beginning - Win 7 ranks up there with ME for LEAST favorite operating systems. It just seems clunky.
Also, I'm not all that pleased with the processor - although that could be a function of the operating system - just doing stupid things definitly the performance is way down versus my dual core chip running Vista.
I shouldn't complain though, I am one lucky S O B. Sun's gotta shine on a dog's arse now and again I figure.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »

wow - thats awesome! Grats on that Mcbain! Thats almost like winning in the lottery!

A new one
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »

Quote from: McBa1n on August 17, 2010, 03:04:33 PM

I have 2 minor complaints, though. I've been using Windows since the beginning - Win 7 ranks up there with ME for LEAST favorite operating systems. It just seems clunky.
Also, I'm not all that pleased with the processor - although that could be a function of the operating system - just doing stupid things definitly the performance is way down versus my dual core chip running Vista.
I shouldn't complain though, I am one lucky S O B. Sun's gotta shine on a dog's arse now and again I figure.

Those complaints seem to make no sense compared to the majority of people with the same things.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »

Nice, Raz!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 17, 2010, 09:07:19 PM

Those complaints seem to make no sense compared to the majority of people with the same things.

I should clarify. I'm splitting hairs. Once something gets going - it smokes, although, some games I'm experiencing 'chokes' on occasion - and it's not accessing the ROM drive or doing anything special - and it's not occuring in points where you'd expect it. It could be compatibility with the OS with the games. Also, just opening simple programs and tabbing around is a bit slower than prior. We're talking a second here, 5 seconds there. Again, minor complaint.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:36:54 AM »

Quote from: McBa1n on August 17, 2010, 10:17:06 PM

I should clarify. I'm splitting hairs. Once something gets going - it smokes, although, some games I'm experiencing 'chokes' on occasion - and it's not accessing the ROM drive or doing anything special - and it's not occuring in points where you'd expect it. It could be compatibility with the OS with the games. Also, just opening simple programs and tabbing around is a bit slower than prior. We're talking a second here, 5 seconds there. Again, minor complaint.

First thing: ROM Drive? Do what now? Couple more things: the apps taking longer to open basically screams 5,400rpm hard drive to me. Laptop makers often stick with those drives to help battery life, but if you're used to a faster drive they can be borderline intolerable. If you *did* get a slower drive, and it sounds like you did, try disabling the Windows search indexing features. That can help with access times and prevent little pauses here and there. The CPU has much less to do with the app opening that first time than your hard drive. The other thing... try and figure out if the BIOS lets you disable speedstep or whatever they're calling it for the i7's. Then look into Windows 7's power options and make sure it's not on the battery saver plan and throttling the CPU to save energy.

I have an i5 based dell with 4gb of ram, a 7,200 rpm drive and the exact same videocard and I have pretty much none of the problems you're describing. The i5 and i7 lines are pretty much king on the processor market. If there's pauses and hitching occuring it's related to something else in your system. In laptops you can almost always trace that hitching and pausing in applications and games to the slow, designed to be quiet and energy efficient, hard drives.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:44:36 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:25:53 AM »

Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials for your antivirus?  Try disabling it and see if the problem goes away.  I switched it out for Avast because of a similar problem.  If you're actively reading or writing to a file MSE wants to scan it.  If it's a big file it chokes the system until it's done.

(HBZ)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 02:13:48 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 17, 2010, 09:07:19 PM

IMHO, it does. He's running a low speed quad processor (never understood the reason to have such a thing anyway) - I'm not surprised he's saying it's acting slow. Heck - my laptop from ~3 years ago has a faster processor but in the dual core variety.

But I do disagree with his thoughts of Windows 7 - it's a great OS and is one of Microsoft's best based on my use of it on my gaming rig (the laptop I'm typing this on here is Vista 64 based).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 18, 2010, 02:13:48 PM

IMHO, it does. He's running a low speed quad processor (never understood the reason to have such a thing anyway) - I'm not surprised he's saying it's acting slow. Heck - my laptop from ~3 years ago has a faster processor but in the dual core variety.

All the i7 mobile chips are clocked at lower default speeds to save battery life. That said, they all also have the built in Turbo mode setup that significantly speeds up the processor whenever it's doing any real activity. I want to say the model he has jumps up a fair amount over 2ghz when it's actually doing something, and then defaults down to the slower speed when it idles to save power. The process has been pretty transparent according to pretty much everyone that tests the chips.

If he's getting delays because of it... he's the only one I've ever heard of with the problem.

*Just checked it. The only i7M that defaults to 1.6ghz at idle is the i7-720QM. The turbo speed is 2.8ghz. At 2.8ghz the i7 is actually faster than most of the core2 or core quad series even when they're clocked over 3ghz. Hell, my i5 is faster at it's stock speed than my Q6600 was at 3.2ghz.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:01:15 PM by Thin_J » Logged

McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »

CRAP. Thanks for the ideas to check.
Thanks J, didn't even consider that it was a 5400 rpm drive - and indeed it is.
SUMBITCH. Well, guess I know what my next purchase is.
Damn, doesn't it seem silly to put all that great hardware in there and then have such a slow drive? Sigh. I can't go crazy, though - it is essentially a pretty nice system regardless and at the right price woo.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:59 PM »

Quote from: razgon

It's danglish!  Yay!

I wonder how much that cost you in DK.  Just an arm, or an arm and a leg? 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 12:43:14 AM »

Quote from: McBa1n on August 18, 2010, 10:33:37 PM

Damn, doesn't it seem silly to put all that great hardware in there and then have such a slow drive? Sigh. I can't go crazy, though - it is essentially a pretty nice system regardless and at the right price woo.

Man, my older Dell 17 inch was the same way. It was just shy of top of the line hardware when I bought it but I didn't spring for the HD upgrade. That HD was always slowing things down. Game loading times were pretty terrible, it took like ten full seconds to open firefox the first time I'd use it after a boot, all that kind of stuff. Basically any time anything accessed the hard drive I got funky delays and hitches. It drove me crazy. I was almost happy when the videocard in it burned itself out. It meant I could look for a new laptop guilt free.

In the meantime though, definitely disable the windows search indexing features. That feature can be really rough on certain systems, especially if a slower hard drive is involved. Should make things a little more livable until you can switch it out for something else.

If it's at all possible to trade it out for an SSD, perhaps one of the 100gb sandforce drives, I'd say do it without any hesitation. Your battery life will improve and your desktop responsiveness will be leagues better than any regular mechanical hard drive. They really are expensive though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:46:49 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 06:20:20 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 18, 2010, 11:39:59 PM

Quote from: razgon

It's danglish!  Yay!

I wonder how much that cost you in DK.  Just an arm, or an arm and a leg? 

it means fingerprintreader :-D And pretty expensive...11.000 kroner = 1890.04410676 US Dollar

I have a feeling things like this is pretty expensive compared to US prices, and I also know it wasnt the best possible price out there, but I didnt want to wait around for a new computer so I guess I pay for that as well :-)

I did look at the new HP Envy machines which are...awesome to say the least, but more expensive than this one, and no-one seemed to have them until sometime in September.

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 06:49:45 AM »

Mine's like a Wooly Mammoth with a Neanderthal riding on it and smacking it on the side of the head with a stone axe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: