http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 09:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y''all remember this guy.  (Read 269 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:55 AM »

I was rooting around in the rabbit hole of the internet when I stumbled upon this;

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3553620/the-redemption-of-derek-smart

Remember him? I lol'd because I was there.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:53:12 AM »

I used to subscribe to several PC gaming news groups on Usenet back in the day when bandwidth was so precious that one downloaded one's messages, read them offline, and then uploaded one's replies. I resented Mr Smart because fully 3/4 of the messages that I downloaded were either people slamming him or him bashing his critics.

Usenet got a lot smaller when I learned how to filter keywords like Derek and Battlecruiser.

But he's rich and I'm not, so what do I know?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:13:48 AM »

gave one of his 15?! games (Universal Combat, iirc) and barely made a dent in it.  it was like training to be an actual starfleet engineer.  I tried the ground portion and it would have been considered state of the art 5 years before UC was launched.  on top of the density of the game mechanics, finding fun things to do was like finding a good book in a foreign language library. 

I remember the last time he used to haunt this place and the back and forth bashing that went on. 

reading that his goals for the next game is similar to what planetside 2 did on a galactic level makes me laugh.  you know what you call a derek smart game with every person who bought it playing simultaneously?  Single player.  getting any number of people to group up in one spot may be difficult when you could just as easily go fly off and have fun without other people to screw up the plan. 

I give the guy luck as his games always seem like something I should enjoy.  he also makes the perfect example in every generation for other projects to look to as why tighter designs are better than everything but the kitchen sink games.  his game design is my biggest fear for Star Citizen.  I'm afraid they might try to bite off more than they can chew. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:29:42 AM »

If his games all suck, how did he make $100 million?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »

The same way cheaters and frauds do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 30, 2013, 03:29:42 AM

If his games all suck, how did he make $100 million?

proper use of punctuation?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:51:16 AM »

I don't see what makes him a cheater or fraud, at least any more or less than someone like Peter Molyneux, who has a similar hype issue. He is someone who obviously has issues reining in his emotions (and ego), but at the end of the day, there are certainly bigger fish to fry.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:20:51 AM »

I read the first part up until I realized how long the article is.  it does seem like he's softened up a bit and is willing to admit his mistakes and how his ego has led to more bad will than anything else.  I also give him credit for continuing to make the game he wants and not giving up like Phil Fish just did.  it takes solid will and thick skin.  if you give him nothing, at least give him the respect of a person who's stuck through and wants the best game possible. 

I don't know how many people play his games these days, but it's got to be a niche game.  even more so than similar games like the evochron and X series. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: