http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:00:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Posted: The Meal/MHS clan in Detroit Saturday May 31st, any takers?  (Read 1083 times)
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:17:26 AM »

So, we'll be in Detroit Saturday late afternoon through Tuesday super early morning.  Sunday is mostly eaten up with family obligations, and Monday is the night of the game we're attending at the Joe Lewis arena, but we would LOVE to get together with any GT/OO/GG/PH/BC'ers in the Detroit area Saturday evening.  Our flight lands at 3:00 pm so I would imagine we'll be a good couple of hours getting settled.  Optimally, a family friendly (we'll have the 15-year old along) place that will have Game 4 on the TV would be the best, especially if there is such a place that is smoke-free.

Hoping we'll get to see some people soon! smile
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:19:35 AM by MHS » Logged

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:41:29 AM »

Oh man!!!!!!!  If I didn't have stuff piled up to my eyeballs I'd love to come see you two (three).  Some day I will get my life somewhat organized so I can do this kind of spontaneous stuff. 
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:16:10 AM »

I will be in Grand Rapids coaching all weekend but depending when you are leaving Tuesday would go out of my way to make a meal (no innuendo intended there) and meet you folks.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »

Would love to say yes but Saturday is ugly.  I'm already sick and I know I have to get up early go to my sister's wedding down at the Toledo Zoo, miss the reception, be back in town before 19:00, meet up with people, make it Tom Petty by 20:00.  I am doomed to fail.  Too many things being dropped that day after other things were already etched in stone.  I can't believe I am going to miss game 4.

Suck.

Finding a "good" place to see the game that is 15 year old friendly and non smoking could be a trick.  Are you staying at a hotel?  If so then the hotel bar might be your best bet if you don't meet up with anyone.  I think BW3's tend to be family friendly and if they aren't non smoking they are mostly non smoking.  They will have the five million TVs going.

Sorry I'll miss ya but Saturday is literally the worst day of the year for me to make plans so far.  Stupid Saturday.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »

Are you guys going to be downtown or in the burbs? If downtown I'd recommend the Hockeytown Cafe. Not so sure how it is during Stanley Cup hockey, but it should be fine for a 15yo. I'd expect the crowd to be similar to the crowd that goes to the games.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »

Departure on Tuesday involves a flight leaving Metro at 8am.  I'm really really hoping for a no-OT game the evening before...

We're also soliciting fun ideas for family time (Sunday afternoon) including a 70-year old father and a 15-year old girl. We're staying in Livonia and don't want to travel too far (otherwise we'd go hang out with other family). The Detroit Institute of Arts ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Institute_of_Arts ) is supposed to be awesome (and I really dug it 15 years ago), so that's on the list. What else should we consider? (If it wasn't for the kiddo, I'd go to a little place in Greektown and see what we could do about relieving a bit more green from the Michigan/Ontario economies, but I don't think the poker room is in our future. If it wasn't for my father, we'd bolt to Cedar Pointe in a heartbeat...)
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 30, 2008, 01:15:17 PM

Are you guys going to be downtown or in the burbs? If downtown I'd recommend the Hockeytown Cafe. Not so sure how it is during Stanley Cup hockey, but it should be fine for a 15yo. I'd expect the crowd to be similar to the crowd that goes to the games.

HockeyTown would be a great place to see Stanley Cup game.  So great that I can only imagine the crowd.  I'd also thing Cheli's downtown or even in Dearborn would be "appropriate."

Too bad it has to be family friendly.  15 years is old enough to want to see the world and to handle most of it.

The Ruiners and the Spag Burlesque show are at Paycheck's in Hamtramck on the 31st:

http://www.paycheckslounge.com/

Catch the game, catch some burlesque, catch a band thats like Iggy Pop fronting the B-52s where they lead singer sets himself on fire and you've got a pretty good Saturday night all in one venue for five bucks.

Quote from: The Meal on May 30, 2008, 02:36:22 PM

We're also soliciting fun ideas for family time (Sunday afternoon) including a 70-year old father and a 15-year old girl. We're staying in Livonia and don't want to travel too far

Luck!  Father is probably happy just to spend to time oot and aboot with his boy, so I'd be looking at appeasing the the 15 year old girl.  What's her thang?

d'the old man and the girl like swing?

Start the day doing "Taste of Ann Arbor" and then round out the evening with a swing band.

http://www.mlive.com/events/annarbor/index.ssf?domain=event&kids=&wday=0&region=2&type=&range=&x=22&y=4

It's all about appeasing interests and that's hard to intuit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:02:13 PM by LordMortis » Logged
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 30, 2008, 02:36:22 PM

I'd go to a little place in Greektown
icon_eek  was MHS aware of this particular plan or was "get her drunk" part of the sneakiness? Tongue

It's how I say Hello - Richard
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »

How is the Detroit Zoo nowadays?  I loved the Polar Bear exhibit last time.  I think it's one of the most advanced outdoot cooling areas for a zoo anywhere.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 06:24:53 PM »

It looks like you'll have a chance to see your team win the Cup on home ice. I'm not a big Red Wings fan, but I'm hoping it happens since moments like that occur so rarely that it would be fantastic to experience. Have fun!
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »

Hope you guys have a great time watching the Wings win the cup at the Joe. Amazing chance to witness history. Datsyuk to get a hat-trick is my prediction!
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »

Quote from: jpinard on May 30, 2008, 08:09:25 PM

How is the Detroit Zoo nowadays?  I loved the Polar Bear exhibit last time.  I think it's one of the most advanced outdoot cooling areas for a zoo anywhere.

Everyone keeps telling me that Toledo Zoo beats it hands down.  So much so that we'll be driving 2 hours to Toledo instead of 1 to Detroit to go to the zoo this summer.

As for The Meal/MHS clan, good luck at the game.  I gotta think the Wings have a very good chance of wrapping this all up for you on Monday night.  Pretty sweet!
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 03:07:02 AM »

Bummed I missed last night's game.  Happy the Tom Petty was a great show.  Hoping you guys had a good time seeing the game.  I read you saw it at the HockeyTown.  Nice.  The Theatre District is a great area too.

Also hoping Sunday went well.

If you guys want the best Italian in Detroit, call the Roma Cafe (on Riopelle, next the Eastern Market).  They will shuttle you too and from the game.  Get the Chicken Parm.  It's heaven.  I'm pretty certain you'd want to make reservations though.  And's not even huge expensive.

Wow.  Everyone has a webpage nowadays.  The IntraWeb is amazing.

http://www.romacafe.com/

Quote from: J.M. Diller on June 01, 2008, 07:48:49 PM

Quote from: jpinard on May 30, 2008, 08:09:25 PM

Everyone keeps telling me that Toledo Zoo beats it hands down.  So much so that we'll be driving 2 hours to Toledo instead of 1 to Detroit to go to the zoo this summer.

As for The Meal/MHS clan, good luck at the game.  I gotta think the Wings have a very good chance of wrapping this all up for you on Monday night.  Pretty sweet!

I was just at the Toledo Zoo on Saturday for my little sister's wedding.  They had all been telling me the same thing for years.  Having finally made the trip, I'd say they're very much wrong (even though I think I might be the first to say it).  What the Toledo Zoo is, though is smaller.  Much smaller.  I think that makes it much easier (and therefore more pleasant) "to do" as it were.  Children will see their animals quickly and in succession and you won't lug around for long periods of time feeling like you are drudging in the heat.

OTOH, I haven't been to the Detroit Zoo in probably three years and it doesn't take long for them to allow it fall into disrepair.  I had a great time the last several times I was there.  I bring a book or a note pad and it makes me wish I were artistically inclined.  If I had a talent for sketching, I'd probably be there a lot.  But as it goes, once in forever ends up being enough for me.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »

Remember that the Zoo is no longer under total control of the city of Detroit now, so there should be less worry about it being in disrepair. I think it was last year that we went and it was pretty nice. We went in the middle of the summer during the afternoon, so it was hot as hell and the animals were just lounging in the heat, but it's still a pretty nice zoo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: