http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:04:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Men:Days Of Future Past  (Read 4296 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 03:51:15 AM »

ALL THE WIN.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

Yes, I am so full of yes on this yes yes yes. biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »

Rogue(Anna Paquin) has been cut completely from the film

The link below describes the scene,as Singer says will probably feature on the DVD somehow,so yeah...spoilers on the cut scene in the link
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65534

“Through the editing process, the sequence became extraneous, it’s a really good sequence and it will probably end up on the DVD so people can see it. But like many things in the editing process, it was an embarrassment of riches and it was just one of the things that had to go. Unfortunately, it was the one and only sequence Anna Paquin was in, the Rogue character was in. Even though she’s in the materials and part of the process of making the film, she won’t appear in it.”

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 12:34:52 AM »

That's kind of disappointing... seems a bit fishy too; just how much time could they possibly have shaved off that it was worth chopping out an actress's entire contribution?  Not to mention someone as (relatively) famous/popular as Anna Paquin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 02:10:39 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 23, 2013, 12:34:52 AM

That's kind of disappointing... seems a bit fishy too; just how much time could they possibly have shaved off that it was worth chopping out an actress's entire contribution?  Not to mention someone as (relatively) famous/popular as Anna Paquin.

I imagine it was a group scene of some sort that they were able to get her for that seemed to be superfluous as they were putting the movie together or a stumble in the flow of the plot.  People wind up on the cutting room floor all the time, even famous people.

I actually applaud them for making the cut despite losing her cameo, as it means they're more focused on making the movie work than forcing a scene in that doesn't really work.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 04:28:25 AM »

Apparently it was a rescue scene. I loved the top comment on the news article:

"I don't know what character she was playing in the first three films, but it sure as hell wasn't Rogue."

I didn't mind her, but she was never Rogue-like.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 04:28:25 AM

"I don't know what character she was playing in the first three films, but it sure as hell wasn't Rogue."

Eh?  They covered the early part of her life pretty well in the first movie.  In the comics she didn't get super strength or the ability to fly until Mystique tricked her into sucking them out of Ms. Marvel.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 23, 2013, 04:55:47 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 04:28:25 AM

Eh?  They covered the early part of her life pretty well in the first movie.  In the comics she didn't get super strength or the ability to fly until Mystique tricked her into sucking them out of Ms. Marvel.

Yeah, this is pretty canon.  The super strength, flight and durability came from stealing Ms. Marvel powers.  Think she killed her in the process if I remember correctly

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »

I'm not talking about her powers, I'm referring to her demeanor. She's very ... timid?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 08:04:25 PM

I'm not talking about her powers, I'm referring to her demeanor. She's very ... timid?
I am almost positive she was this way in the beginning of the comics as well. It wasn't until she became more comfortable with her powers that she was less timid. I "think" something about the way the memories work made her feel off so she was an introvert in the beginning.. However, it has been many years since then, so my memories could be off.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on December 23, 2013, 09:20:03 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2013, 08:04:25 PM

I am almost positive she was this way in the beginning of the comics as well. It wasn't until she became more comfortable with her powers that she was less timid. I "think" something about the way the memories work made her feel off so she was an introvert in the beginning.. However, it has been many years since then, so my memories could be off.

Eh, I don't recall that being the case. Her first appearance she was a cackling villain, and sooooo not timid. She was a little timid for, like, 1 or 2 issues after she joined the X-Men, but that was because she was a reformed villain and nobody trusted her. Once she attained a modicum of acceptance she was way more confident with a touch of "I have to prove myself"

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 10:44:41 PM »

She was timid before Mystique got to her, and in the movies that didn't even happen.  So in effect we're seeing the timid pre-villain 'doesn't know how to deal with her powers so she's withdrawn' timid Rogue that we never really had a chance to see in the comics since she was turned quickly by Mystique.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 07:00:24 AM »

It's Marvel, they're ok with rewrites and retconning.

I just don't like her version of Rogue nearly as much as the one that happened in X-men and Wolverine of the late eighties and into the nineties. She knew how to fight off Remy - she was gutsy and cocksure.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 07:00:54 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 23, 2013, 10:44:41 PM

She was timid before Mystique got to her, and in the movies that didn't even happen.  So in effect we're seeing the timid pre-villain 'doesn't know how to deal with her powers so she's withdrawn' timid Rogue that we never really had a chance to see in the comics since she was turned quickly by Mystique.
this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

Full Trailer.  Looks pretty generic and dull....ah who am I kidding it looks awesome!   Can't wait.

http://youtu.be/6acRHWnfZAE

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wonder if that is nimrod in there..
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »

OMG I don't think I've ever been this excited for a movie in my life.  And I've been pretty damn excited for movies in the past  icon_biggrin
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »

Perhaps even in the future past....

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »

Third and final trailer  Looks great but it has a few spoilers so don't watch if you aren't prepared to have a lot of the plot spelled out.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »

X-Men: Days of Future Past' Has a Clip After 'Amazing Spider-Man 2

We've confirmed with Sony Pictures that this X-Men: Days of Future Past coda will be attached to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in both the United States and the United Kingdom, but it's not clear if it will play in other international territories as well. The scene will be an action sequence following Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Havok (Lucas Till) and Toad (Evan Jonigkeit) taking on William Stryker (Josh Helman) and his military men. We're not sure why this is the scene chosen to hype the film, or why Fox and Sony have decided to team-up like this, but I guess it's cool?

If anything, maybe this is a sign of potential future collaboration that will allow Marvel's comic book characters to crossover into other studio's Marvel franchises eventually. After all, we know that Marvel and Sony tried to collaborate on an easter egg that would have seen the new Oscorp tower in the Manhattan skyline in The Avengers, but scheduling of when the visual effects needed to be done didn't work out. It would be cool if the new Stark Tower (or Avengers Tower now?) popped up in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but we don't know if that's even possible. Anyway, make sure you stay after the credits of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when it hits theaters May 2nd if you want to see this X-Men: Days of Future Past teaser clip.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 16, 2014, 06:34:12 PM

X-Men: Days of Future Past' Has a Clip After 'Amazing Spider-Man 2

We've confirmed with Sony Pictures that this X-Men: Days of Future Past coda will be attached to The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in both the United States and the United Kingdom, but it's not clear if it will play in other international territories as well. The scene will be an action sequence following Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Havok (Lucas Till) and Toad (Evan Jonigkeit) taking on William Stryker (Josh Helman) and his military men. We're not sure why this is the scene chosen to hype the film, or why Fox and Sony have decided to team-up like this, but I guess it's cool?

If anything, maybe this is a sign of potential future collaboration that will allow Marvel's comic book characters to crossover into other studio's Marvel franchises eventually. After all, we know that Marvel and Sony tried to collaborate on an easter egg that would have seen the new Oscorp tower in the Manhattan skyline in The Avengers, but scheduling of when the visual effects needed to be done didn't work out. It would be cool if the new Stark Tower (or Avengers Tower now?) popped up in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but we don't know if that's even possible. Anyway, make sure you stay after the credits of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when it hits theaters May 2nd if you want to see this X-Men: Days of Future Past teaser clip.

Also, helps that Marvel/Disney has been eating Sony/Fox lunch with thier string of movies.   

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »

Surprised no one's commented yet...  I saw it this afternoon and loved it.  Pretty much lived up the hype and was everything I wanted.  Of course I could nitpick certain things and bemoan the lack of coverage for some of my favorites, but all in all it was wonderful.  Best super-hero movie I've seen.  Avengers was awesome but I'm much more emotionally tied to the X-Men, so I'm biased.

Gonna see it again tomorrow!!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »

I saw this earlier today as well. I thought it was great, probably the best X-Men movie and one of the better Marvel movies in general.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »

I saw this today as well and really enjoyed it.  I had avoided all of the trailers and hype so went in pretty much knowing nothing other than there was some time travel involved. 

I would agree it is probably the best X-Men movie, though I wasn't the biggest fan of all the others.  I know I didn't catch who all the side characters were in this one, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2014, 11:52:05 PM »

This is one instance I was glad I wasn't up on my X-Men comic book history. I went in cold (other than having seen the other X-Men movies), and absolutely loved it. I agree that it was probably the best X-Men film, and probably one of the best superhero films, in terms of story, since The Dark Knight.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 02:07:11 AM »

Overall it was good. It's hard to get time travel movies right. I think the first half was great, and it had some inconsistencies/flaws in the second half.

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. What's with Charles being able to talk to his future/past self while reading Wolverine's mind? Made no sense.

2. The ending. WTF. Wolverine just skips, what 50 years and wakes up in his own body in a future he doesn't recognize anymore? There's just no time travel logic in which that makes sense.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »

Quote from: Crux on May 26, 2014, 02:07:11 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
2. The ending. WTF. Wolverine just skips, what 50 years and wakes up in his own body in a future he doesn't recognize anymore? There's just no time travel logic in which that makes sense.

That part was specifically mentioned several times in the movie and was consistent with the whole plot.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The idea is that all of the changes he had been making back in the past were changing the potential future and as soon as he returned to that future timeline the past was now "set" making that alternate timeline having happened and he would be the only one that knew the previous timeline.  They had specifically mentioned this before they put him under and also that was how they used Bishop to avoid the Sentinels time and again.  It would make sense that he didn't know the 50 years in the alternate history because he hadn't actually lived it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2014, 04:43:15 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. What's with Charles being able to talk to his future/past self while reading Wolverine's mind? Made no  sense.

Wolverine's consciousness was sent into the past. However, there is still some link between that consciousness and Wolverine's physical future self (we know this because when he gets agitated in the past his body gets agitated in the future.) His brain is essentially a bridge between the past and future - the conscious in the past, the unconscious in the future, but still one whole. Past Charles simply exploited this link to communicate to future Charles - they were both essentially reading the same "mind."
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 26, 2014, 02:34:21 AM

Quote from: Crux on May 26, 2014, 02:07:11 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

That part was specifically mentioned several times in the movie and was consistent with the whole plot.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The idea is that all of the changes he had been making back in the past were changing the potential future and as soon as he returned to that future timeline the past was now "set" making that alternate timeline having happened and he would be the only one that knew the previous timeline.  They had specifically mentioned this before they put him under and also that was how they used Bishop to avoid the Sentinels time and again.  It would make sense that he didn't know the 50 years in the alternate history because he hadn't actually lived it.

That's not how any of our theoretical understanding of time works though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Let's establish there is two Logans: Logan-1 is the original 1970's Logan. Logan-2 is the Sentinal-Future-Logan whose consciousness is sent back. When Logan-2 goes back and begins changing things, he splits the future into two separate paths - one in which the Sentinals were built, and he's lying on a table trying to fix the past, and another in which the alternate, 'saved' future is the reality. The instant Logan-2 is successful, the future his consciousness got sent back from ceases to exist. Now, you've got two possibilities here.

1. Kitty's consciousness transference is permanent for some reason, and when they pull Logan's body out of the river alternate future that now never happened Logan-2 in it. In this case he wakes up, has the memories of everything from his prior life and continues going from the 1970's OR

2. The moment that future ceased to exist, Logan-2's time-travel ended. Which puts Logan-1 back in control of his body. Now when Logan-2's time travel ends, there's no future timeline for him to go back to - it no longer exists. So he no longer exists. Instead Logan-1 would wake up, have no recollection of the previous few days and live his life seemingly for forever.

What makes absolutely no sense is this idea that Logan-2's consciousness would just... sit out in the ether for 50 years then suddenly at the exact instant appear. Who has been living in Logan's body this whole time? Logan-1? What happens to Logan-1? Does Logan-2 supplant him suddenly? Why? Kitty's not there to transfer his consciousness around. Why would Logan-2's consciousness take precedence?

It just doesn't make sense.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

I believe you are thinking way too much about the time travel aspect. They laid out the rules for how time travel works, and then stuck to those rules throughout the movie.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Let's call Logan's future sentinel world consciousness LC2. His 1973 consciousness is LC1. In reality, they're both the same consciousness, just at different points on the timeline.

When LC2 goes back in time, it displaces LC1 temporarily. Logan stops the sentinels. Future is changed. LC2 is sent "back to the future." As soon as LC2 is sent back, LC1 resumes, this time in a different changed world. LC1 continues to exist up to the point that it turns into LC2 - ie, the instant LC2 snaps back into the future.

That is why Logan is aware of the sentinel future, but not the 50 years prior. He lived as LC1 up to the point LC2 snapped back in. That's my take on it anyway.

The key concept you have to accept is that changing the future changes everything in the universe EXCEPT the consciousness of the individual doing the time traveling. However, this was stated pretty clearly upfront, so I have no problem rolling with it.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »

YK,

I get what they did. I'm saying it is not consistent with any of our understanding of time travel logic.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's just no reason for LC2 to replace LC1 once the future has been changed. It's hand waving to create that final scene with the school and Jean. I get that they 'laid the rules out' and stayed consistent with them. But the rules don't make any sense.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: Crux
There's just no reason for LC2 to replace LC1 once the future has been changed. It's hand waving to create that final scene with the school and Jean. I get that they 'laid the rules out' and stayed consistent with them. But the rules don't make any sense.

They only have to make sense in the context of the universe in which they're set, not our own. Mutants flying around with superhero powers don't make sense with what we know either.  icon_smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »

lol yeah, unless Crux knows something the rest of us don't, there aren't any fixed rules for time travel, which again AFAIK doesn't exist yet.  nod

I do love the whole discussion on it though, and I think YK's explanation is pretty much dead on.

Besides if you want to poke holes:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why the heck didn't they take Quicksilver with them?  He could have stopped Mystique and come back and still had time for another popsicle.  And if QS was really that awesome where the heck was he in the future?  Sentinel could never catch him to duplicate his power smile

P.S.  Evan Peters, I love you!  Even with weirdo silver hair.

P.P.S.  Yes I realize this is on the internet forever even if I ask Ron to remove it later.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »

Loved it, but my only issue was no Nimrod in the future.  I thought that would have been cool

Spoiler for Hiden:
Had to explain to some non comic fans about Apocalypse and the Four Horsemen

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 12:16:48 PM »

As long as a time travel movie is internally consistent they can do whatever the fuck they want with it.  Kinda weird you'd try to maintain a real world logic perspective on it when we know nothing about time
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

Quote from: rittchard
which again AFAIK doesn't exist yet.

It does exist, but unfortunately we can only go forward at a predetermined rate.  icon_biggrin
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »

Saw it yesterday after work. 

Things I loved:

It gives me hope for humanity that Dinklage can be cast in a role that makes zero mention of his height.   It's fantastic that he's being recognized as a truly talented actor first and foremost.

I went in dreading Quicksilver's appearance.  I left wanting him to have his own movie.

The story was fun and interesting.  Of course it had plot holes, but it was so damn entertaining I could overlook them...unlike The Amazing Spiderman 2 which just annoyed me constantly by having even larger plot holes but forgetting to be entertaining enough to even things out.

Things I didn't like that much:

Quicksilver is potentially the most powerful mutant in existence if he can effectively stop time and do whatever he wants.  They should have slowed him down just a bit.  Still, his main fight scene was one of the highlights of the film in spite of this.

More Colossus, damn it!

What was the point of having Havok show up in disconnected scenes that had him essentially just reacting to the news on tv?  He was like Raymond Burr in the American version of Godzilla.

I've read that Rogue was featured in quite a few scenes in the original cut, but that those scenes were removed in post production.  I wonder why?  Supposedly those scenes are going to be in the dvd release in the deleted scenes section.

And finally, I wish Singer wasn't using his position as a famous director to molest teenagers.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 28, 2014, 02:44:53 PM

Saw it yesterday after work. 

Things I loved:

It gives me hope for humanity that Dinklage can be cast in a role that makes zero mention of his height.   It's fantastic that he's being recognized as a truly talented actor first and foremost.

I went in dreading Quicksilver's appearance.  I left wanting him to have his own movie.

The story was fun and interesting.  Of course it had plot holes, but it was so damn entertaining I could overlook them...unlike The Amazing Spiderman 2 which just annoyed me constantly by having even larger plot holes but forgetting to be entertaining enough to even things out.

Things I didn't like that much:

Quicksilver is potentially the most powerful mutant in existence if he can effectively stop time and do whatever he wants.  They should have slowed him down just a bit.  Still, his main fight scene was one of the highlights of the film in spite of this.

More Colossus, damn it!

What was the point of having Havok show up in disconnected scenes that had him essentially just reacting to the news on tv?  He was like Raymond Burr in the American version of Godzilla.

I've read that Rogue was featured in quite a few scenes in the original cut, but that those scenes were removed in post production.  I wonder why?  Supposedly those scenes are going to be in the dvd release in the deleted scenes section.

And finally, I wish Singer wasn't using his position as a famous director to molest teenagers.

I loved Dinklage's performance in this movie.  He just fit the role like no other, regardless of stature. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Quicksilver's scene in the kitchen was one of the highlights of the film, but I love every scene he was in.  Loved the humor in the character's action and personality.  Great choice of music too.

The battles against the Sentinels was a lot more brutal than I expected and each time a mutant died, it really hit home, even knowing the time-travel loop would erase it. 

Old-Magneto was sadly under-used as was Prof X outside of his moment with Young Xavier.  Old Magneto had surprisingly few lines.

I have to question the logic of sending Logan back to free Magneto as even though he plays nice for a while, he almost basically F's up everyone's plans.  I have to assume old Magneto/Prof X knew in advance that Young Magneto would pull a move and let him, so  Mystique and Xavier could then stop him in a grand way and prove to the president that mutants could be a force of good. 

I'm wondering if we should have had a film in between X3 and DoFP with the rise of the Sentinels and the war between humans and mutants to lead up to this.  They could have answered some of the dangling plot holes introduced here, like Prof X's resurrection.  It would have been a very dark movie though. 

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »

Just had a thought:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is it possible that young Magneto was setting himself up to fail in order to achieve what Logan wanted after he himself had screwed up by shooting Mystique earlier?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: