http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:30:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Men Origins: Wolverine  (Read 7935 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

I like him as Wolverine but I have read the plot synopsis on line and....well lets hope his acting is good and the stunts are fun to watch.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »

Will Liza Minnelli have a cameo?  Or will they get someone else to play her par.....oh....this ISN'T about Peter Allen?  Whoops...   icon_redface

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 28, 2009, 03:50:33 PM

So far reviews look to be rather positive.  Granted, films rarely stick around the 100% mark, especially when early reviews are so overwhelmingly positive, but word on the street is that Wolverine is a more mature superhero film intended for a sophisticated audience.  I'm cautiously optimistic and we have plans to catch a matinee on Saturday with a group of friends. 

Hmmm.  Check again ....
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on April 29, 2009, 09:50:39 PM

So far reviews look to be rather positive.  Granted, films rarely stick around the 100% mark, especially when early reviews are so overwhelmingly positive, but word on the street is that Wolverine is a more mature superhero film intended for a sophisticated audience.  I'm cautiously optimistic and we have plans to catch a matinee on Saturday with a group of friends. 

Hmmm.  Check again ....

Christ, that didn't last long.   disgust

At least reviews are more in line with what I expected, which is still disappointing as the film's quality is far from what I had hoped.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2009, 09:59:51 PM

Hmmm.  Check again ....

At least reviews are more in line with what I expected, which is still disappointing as the film's quality is far from what I had hoped.   

Yeah, that's disappointing, though I doubt that's going to stop me from going to the theater this weekend to check it out...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »

I might be going to a 7:00 PM screening tomorrow, so I can try to post impressions on Friday if that works out.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:42 PM »

Checking it out on Friday night. I've not heard great things about it, but I think it should be entertaining enough. We'll see.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 12:23:39 AM »

Hmmm.  Check again ....

I've actually heard people who work in Hollywood that the movie is a bit of a clusterfuck.  To put it mildly.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 01:15:12 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 30, 2009, 12:23:39 AM

Hmmm.  Check again ....

I've actually heard people who work in Hollywood that the movie is a bit of a clusterfuck.  To put it mildly.

Well, I was watching a bit on the Wolverine game where they mentioned that this was originally supposed to come out last summer. That made me wonder why, although I never looked into it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 01:26:58 PM »

I like Roger Ebert's review

Why should I care about this guy? He feels no pain and nothing can kill him, so therefore he's essentially a story device for action sequences.

Such films are assemblies of events. There is little dialogue, except for the snarling of threats, vows and laments, and the recitation of essential plot points. Nothing here about human nature. No personalities beyond those hauled in via typecasting. No lessons to learn. No joy to be experienced. Just mayhem, noise and pretty pictures. I have been powerfully impressed by film versions of Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Iron Man and the Iron Giant. I wouldn't even walk across the street to meet Wolverine.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »

Wolverine feels pain, that's simply not true. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »

ouch.  depending on impressions I may or may not go see this on Sunday, but I'm getting the feeling they may have been better off just doing a new X-Men movie instead of focusing (even more than usual) on Wolverine.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »

My wife is a big Wolverine fan (she has always been a fan even as a kid watching the X-Men cartoon series), and she loves Hugh Jackman but only when he plays the role of Wolverine.  We're going to see it with friends on Saturday despite the bad reviews as it's an excuse to spend time with our friends, see a movie, and go out for dinner.  We don't go out to the movies very often, and since my wife still wants to see it we'll go.  Plus, I'd rather watch a bad Wolverine film than have my wife insist on my attending a Twilight screening. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM

Wolverine feels pain, that's simply not true. Tongue

And if you cut off his head he'd probably die, right? Ripped his heart out of his body, perhaps?

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »

Pretty much impossible to cut off his head if his spine is indestructible…and you would have to remove his heart by reaching up underneath his ribcage. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 30, 2009, 05:30:50 PM

Pretty much impossible to cut off his head if his spine is indestructible…and you would have to remove his heart by reaching up underneath his ribcage. 

Hm...OK. Nuclear bomb? Wait a minute, couldn't you theoretically drown or suffocate him?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2009, 06:22:23 PM

Hm...OK. Nuclear bomb? Wait a minute, couldn't you theoretically drown or suffocate him?

good luck trying to hold 400 pounds of steel, muscle and adamantium claws underwater, friend...

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 30, 2009, 06:44:32 PM

good luck trying to hold 400 pounds of steel, muscle and adamantium claws underwater, friend...

I bet Magneto could do it. Or you could stick an adamantium bag over his head.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »

Actually, if his bones weigh that much he should sink like a rock in water.  Knocking him into the ocean seems a very logical way of getting rid of him.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »

Or use liquid nitrogen to freeze him.
Or drop him into a swimming pool filled with partially solid cement. 
Or since his skeleton is magnetic why not use a big electron magnet to catch him?

Gee, super villains aren’t very creative are they?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:06:40 PM by Lordnine » Logged
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »

At one point in the comics, as long as Wolverine had living cells inside his bones, he could regenerate his entire body.   I'm pretty sure that eventually got changed to something slightly less ridiculous, though.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »

Got a ticket to go with some work people tomorrow night.  We're going to a Mexican place and I'm going to get hammered on margaritas beforehand.  That always increases my enjoyment of these movies by about 100%.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 30, 2009, 07:02:51 PM

Or use liquid nitrogen to freeze him.
Or drop him into a swimming pool filled with partially solid cement. 
Or since his skeleton is magnetic why not use a big electron magnet to catch him?

Gee, super villains aren’t very creative are they?

Good ones...how about dropping him into a volcano? Or shooting him in a rocket to the sun? We can kill this sucker!

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2009, 06:47:59 PM

Quote from: Razgon on April 30, 2009, 06:44:32 PM

I bet Magneto could do it. Or you could stick an adamantium bag over his head.

Magneto doesn't need to hold him underwater to kill him. He could just move a bunch of metal from the rest of Wolverine's body into his skull and not leave room for his brain to heal.

I mean.. he did pull it right through his pores once before and almost killed him in the process, so why not.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »

Have Leech remove his healing ability then Cyclops blast him with a full on eye blast.

Because I can,
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2009, 03:53:22 AM »

Well, I will say that I enjoyed the dynamic between Wolverine and Sabertooth.  Their relationship is a bit more complex and it is explored through most of the movie.

The movie does suffer a bit from having too many characters.  There were a few characters I never found out the names of that were integral to the beginning of the story.  Several of them are underutilized.  While it does focus on Wolverine, some of the other characters could have been explored a bit more.  Some characters barely get five minutes of face time.

I was surprised at the casting of Liev Schreiber as Sabertooth, but he does do a good job.  I think that the other people were well cast, but they aren't quite as memorable.  I was intrigued if what they did with Deadpool is accurate to the comics.  There is a "you've got to be kidding" part that involved him towards the end of the movie, and it really feels kind of cheap what happens with him.

Bone claws are awesome.

I didn't want to include any spoilers, and I'd be willing to answer more questions if anyone has them.  I think that if you like the X-Men movies, you will enjoy Wolverine, but it just doesn't measure up to the greatness of the first two X-Men movies.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2009, 06:14:37 AM »

Does gambit have much screen time? I think the guy is awesome in the series, and from the trailers it looks like theyve captured ham pretty damn well

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 01, 2009, 06:14:37 AM

from the trailers it looks like theyve captured ham pretty damn well

I always liked ham!

(1000 geek points to whoever catches the reference)

Because I can,
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »

Does gambit have much screen time? I think the guy is awesome in the series, and from the trailers it looks like theyve captured ham pretty damn well

The time he gets is awesome, although I really didn't think that he had much of an accent.  I did think he could have used more screen time, or at least I was disappointed I didn't get to see more of him.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2009, 07:27:31 AM

from the trailers it looks like theyve captured ham pretty damn well

I always liked ham!

(1000 geek points to whoever catches the reference)

please, posting a pic of michael ironside on a board full of sci fi/fantasy geeks and asking about a role he once had is like posting a picture of a pizza on the Oprah site and asking who made it...

Ham Tyler - V: The Series

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2009, 06:17:18 AM »

Having just returned from the movie, I have to say this:

1) It's no Iron Man or Batman when it comes to superhero movies.
2) It's not crap, like say X-Men 3 or Emo...er, Spiderman 3.

So, unless you hate superhero films, or hate Wolverine as a character, odds are you'll enjoy this movie. Frankly, I don't know where all the hate for this film came from.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2009, 06:24:52 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2009, 06:17:18 AM

Frankly, I don't know where all the hate for this film came from.

it's the new 'thing'.  you're not cool unless you hate Wolverine.  Next week it'll be Star Trek.

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2009, 06:41:27 AM »

it's the new 'thing'.  you're not cool unless you hate Wolverine.  Next week it'll be Star Trek.

from the 30 seconds ive seen of tv commercials for star trek, i feel pretty comfortable hating it now smile
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2009, 07:24:42 AM »

went and saw it tonight with the family and thought it was okay for a summer action flick.

There have been far superior movies but also a few that were much worse. Just go in with very low expectations and a willingness to not question some weak story-telling and story gaps and it's okay.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Although I absolutely hated their explanation for how wolverine lost his memory. Really? He's such an incredible shot that he was able to perfectly target the area of the brain for memory? And all the other times that Wolverine got shot in war - he never once got a bullet in the head?

All that being said though - the big downfall for me going to see it with my family is that they whine and bitch about me wanting to stay until the very end of the credits to see if there are any last extra scenes. Since the movie was merely okay (and I really needed to use the restroom), I caved and left before the final credits had finished. Could anyone who did stay let me know if there was any extra scenes and what they were.

I left about a minute into the credits right after they showed
Spoiler for Hiden:
Striker still walking and being informed that he was wanted for questioning about the General he had killed
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on May 02, 2009, 07:24:42 AM

went and saw it tonight with the family and thought it was okay for a summer action flick.

There have been far superior movies but also a few that were much worse. Just go in with very low expectations and a willingness to not question some weak story-telling and story gaps and it's okay.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Although I absolutely hated their explanation for how wolverine lost his memory. Really? He's such an incredible shot that he was able to perfectly target the area of the brain for memory? And all the other times that Wolverine got shot in war - he never once got a bullet in the head?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wolverine got shot in the head with an admantium bullet - when Striker loads the gun, there's a conversation that states that while it won't kill him, a shot to the head would screw up his memories.

And as to why Wolverine didn't dodge? He knew a simple gun couldn't hurt him. He didn't care at all. Berserker Rage and all, combined with the knowledge that he was invincible and such.

All that being said though - the big downfall for me going to see it with my family is that they whine and bitch about me wanting to stay until the very end of the credits to see if there are any last extra scenes. Since the movie was merely okay (and I really needed to use the restroom), I caved and left before the final credits had finished. Could anyone who did stay let me know if there was any extra scenes and what they were.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Striker still walking and being informed that he was wanted for questioning about the General he had killed

Spoiler for Hiden:
The 'extra' ending past that point is Wolverine having a drink in what looks to be some Japanese bar (if memory serves, his older origin states he went to Japan to train to be a ninja or something) and he talks about how he drinks to try to remember his past.

Frankly, I thought the little bonus stunk. I would've been impressed had they jumped to how the viewer met Wolverine in the original X-Men movie or something instead.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2009, 04:22:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2009, 02:38:28 PM

Could anyone who did stay let me know if there was any extra scenes and what they were.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The 'extra' ending past that point is Wolverine having a drink in what looks to be some Japanese bar (if memory serves, his older origin states he went to Japan to train to be a ninja or something) and he talks about how he drinks to try to remember his past.

Frankly, I thought the little bonus stunk. I would've been impressed had they jumped to how the viewer met Wolverine in the original X-Men movie or something instead.

Wait, what?  That's not what we got at the end of the credits.  My theater showed
Spoiler for Hiden:
The rubble from the nuclear chimney, then one of Deadpool's sword extensions moving, the rubble moving, and then Deadpool reaching for his disembodied head.  He grabs the head, his eyes open, his mouth is no longer sealed shut, and he looks at the camera and says, "shhhhh."
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2009, 04:22:42 PM

Wait, what?  That's not what we got at the end of the credits.  My theater showed
Spoiler for Hiden:
The rubble from the nuclear chimney, then one of Deadpool's sword extensions moving, the rubble moving, and then Deadpool reaching for his disembodied head.  He grabs the head, his eyes open, his mouth is no longer sealed shut, and he looks at the camera and says, "shhhhh."

This is the annoying part about YouTube.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2009, 06:17:18 AM

Having just returned from the movie, I have to say this:

1) It's no Iron Man or Batman when it comes to superhero movies.
2) It's not crap, like say X-Men 3 or Emo...er, Spiderman 3.

So, unless you hate superhero films, or hate Wolverine as a character, odds are you'll enjoy this movie. Frankly, I don't know where all the hate for this film came from.

Pretty much what I thought of it. Not a total waste, but there were many wasted opportunities in the movie. If you're a Marvel fan, you'll get some enjoyment out of it.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 02, 2009, 02:38:28 PM

Quote from: DarkEL on May 02, 2009, 07:24:42 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wolverine got shot in the head with an admantium bullet - when Striker loads the gun, there's a conversation that states that while it won't kill him, a shot to the head would screw up his memories.

And as to why Wolverine didn't dodge? He knew a simple gun couldn't hurt him. He didn't care at all. Berserker Rage and all, combined with the knowledge that he was invincible and such.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah I picked up on all that - the only major flaw with that logic is:
Spoiler for Hiden:
He only needed the admantium bullet so that he could pierce wolverines admantium skeleton. So before Wolverine had gone through the admantium process, any normal bullet could have gone through his skull and into his brain. The whole thing sounds pretty damn hokey to me. I can't kill him but I can him a very specific form of brain damage that will cause amnesia his body won't be able to heal from. (even though the rest of his brain would be healed perfectly), and I'm so awesome that this is my plan and not some lucky accident. 

I honestly expected something a bit more plausible like stryker somehow making a deal with Professor X to muck up wolverines mind.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2009, 04:22:42 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Damn! that would have been awesome. My wife and I were commenting about how much we liked Ryan Reynolds smart-ass Wade Wilson character and had wished that we could have had more of him in the movie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: