http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 10:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWII Pics  (Read 620 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/

Found these on Shacknews. Some incredible stuff.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:11:33 PM »

Wow!  This one makes the defense of Baghdad look tame.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:52:27 AM »

eek eek eek

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »

Those pictures are just incredible and haunting. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »

The aircraft carrier is the original USS Lexington. I seem to remember it having a very distinctive white paint design to its tower, in history books I read. This Ships blog has a little sumary of the ship:
http://warship-pics.blogspot.com/2009/01/uss-lexington-cv2-aircraft-carrier-pics.html

In 1943, a new carrier received the same name and a different ship number (CV16 I think). I remember reading how the ship managed to survive torpedo and bomb hits, but something ignited the blast presumably shown in that photo.

Some of the photos there I recognize, but in other places/books they're often severely cropped due to space limitations, so it's nice to see them full size.

The Alaskan theater photos are very interesting. It's a topic rarely ever covered much in history books, and while there weren't a huge # of casualties, there were some Medal of Honor winners and some interesting, albeit small, battles.

I got to visit the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Annex/Museum at Dulles again the other day and I never really get tired of taking photos of fighter planes and the like.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:25:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on May 03, 2010, 02:55:30 PM

Those pictures are just incredible and haunting. 

+10000.  Thanks for posting.  Incredible.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

I have a ton of respect for anyone who has sacrificed or served, military and civilian, but there's something about our warriors from WW2 that leaves me in dumbstruck awe.  I served with a lot of really good people during my short 8 years in the Marines, but I remember to this day the few times I had the chance to speak with pacific campaign Marines from WW2.  

My boxing instructor during college was an Iwo Jima vet and retired Marine.  He spoke with us about his experience as a boot 2nd Lt landing on Iwo Jima.  What he talked about in a matter of fact manner left all of us in shock with our jaws on the floor for 60 minutes.  As a boxing coach, he used to grade us based on whether we drew blood or not.  If neither of us drew blood, we both got C's or lower for the match.  If either drew blood or were the leaker of blood, but fought well, you got a B.  Oh man, we've lost most of that generation now.  They're mostly memories and stories.  

I remember one retired Marine Colonel, a really humble and good man, talk about running through defensive lines with his 1st Sgt cracking heads with their shovels (entrenching tool - "e-tool").  For whatever reason, the bad guys didn't have helmets, so anyone without a helmet got an e-tool to the cranium.  He said they did that for a couple of hours...before finally clearing out the lines.  I never looked at my little folding shovel the same way again.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:11:54 PM by Roguetad » Logged
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »

Roguetad - I was thinking the same thing yesterday when looking at all of the photos but I couldn't come up with a good way to say it like you did. 

It just seems like war, while always horrible, was extra-horrible back in those days.  Maybe it's simply a different type of horrible because it was more hand's on with less tech than today.  I am in no way making light of what our Military faces today because I know it's just as terrible. 

Any type of war is never good.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »

It just seems like war, while always horrible, was extra-horrible back in those days.  Maybe it's simply a different type of horrible because it was more hand's on with less tech than today.  I am in no way making light of what our Military faces today because I know it's just as terrible.

I think modern warfare definitely has the capability to desensitize us to the seriousness of it all. After all, killing a target who looks like a little white blob from a predator drone *has* to be less traumatizing than cracking someone in the head with a shovel. On the other hand, the precision of modern warfare allows us to minimize civilian casualties in a way we just couldn't do in WWII so it's probably a fair trade-off.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 09:31:58 PM »

We also haven't had a real slugfest of an attrition fight, and our military does all it can to prevent that.  WW2, without a lot of the high tech targeting and battlefield support, was about sending men right into the maw to get the job done.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

Plus, WW2 captivates us here because it was really the only war that the States has fought that had a clear good guy and bad guy.  I mean, combine the fact that we were on the side of the good guys and all the amazing stuff that the soldiers did when fighting and it just strikes you in a certain way.

Those pictures are all incredible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: