http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WWDC 2011 - Lion, iOs 5, iCloud  (Read 2427 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2011, 05:05:04 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 07, 2011, 05:04:06 AM

Quote from: ravenvii on June 07, 2011, 05:00:02 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 07, 2011, 03:51:09 AM

Quote from: Devil on June 07, 2011, 03:45:20 AM

I have a stupid question that may have already been answered - If apps are updated automatically, how do I know if an app is updated?

Good question, I didn't see anything about that mentioned.

I'm not 100%, but I think it means that if you click "download update" on iTunes for instance, your iPhone and iPad will automatically update. And vice versa.

Nah the new stuff will automatically download updates for you, whether you access them or not (to click that button).  It's going to be transparent to the user. 

I presume apps will let you know the version # and some sort of release notes somewhere online.

Do we want to have to dig through release notes? I hope they just put it in the notificaton thing in OS5.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 07, 2011, 03:18:02 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2011, 05:05:04 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 07, 2011, 05:04:06 AM

Quote from: ravenvii on June 07, 2011, 05:00:02 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 07, 2011, 03:51:09 AM

Quote from: Devil on June 07, 2011, 03:45:20 AM

I have a stupid question that may have already been answered - If apps are updated automatically, how do I know if an app is updated?

Good question, I didn't see anything about that mentioned.

I'm not 100%, but I think it means that if you click "download update" on iTunes for instance, your iPhone and iPad will automatically update. And vice versa.

Nah the new stuff will automatically download updates for you, whether you access them or not (to click that button).  It's going to be transparent to the user. 

I presume apps will let you know the version # and some sort of release notes somewhere online.

Do we want to have to dig through release notes? I hope they just put it in the notificaton thing in OS5.

Why would you care though?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Laner on June 07, 2011, 01:59:32 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2011, 03:56:28 AM

The reason to go Mac is that it's a vastly superior OS for getting work done.  The reasons for going Windows on a work machine are pretty much non existent now.  Windows only advantage is gaming.  For everything else, I'd rather have OSX.

Yawn. I keep hearing this. I don't see it. I have a Mac as my every day machine at work and use a PC at home. I get real work done without difficulty on both. I find nothing magical about OSX. It's a great operating system. So is Windows 7. Go with either, they both rock.

Yeah, this is the kind of "Macolyte" nonsense I thought we got away from half a decade ago.  The business world is chugging away just fine on Windows, and Win 7 in particular is an excellent OS.  Both ecosystems have their own strengths and weaknesses.

- Typed on my MacBook Pro

The problem is, lots businesses are still stuck on XP.  Comparing OSX to XP is completely unfair, yet it's totally valid from a use case standpoint.  I think part of why OSX is doing so well in the Enterprise today - IT departments are letting end users choose between a Windows XP, crap hardware laptop or an Apple OSX laptop.  The choice is obvious at that point.

Now personally, I'll admit I am a more techy user than most, but I haven't seen anything on Windows that matches the following functionality on OSX:
1)  A good launcher.  I'm still using Quicksilver and really, really love it.  The built in Win7 bit does a good approximation, but it's not nearly as good.
2)  A good screen cap/annotation/hosting tool.  I've been searching for a Windows Skitch replacement for years and one just flat out doesn't exist.  Skitch alone makes me do any creative work on my Mac rather than my PC.
3)  Omnigraffle destroys what I can do in Visio. 
4)  I know it's cliche, but Keynote >> Powerpoint.
5)  A good instant messaging application.  Adium owns anything on Windows.
6)  Nix terminal software.  I desperately want someone to make one of these for Windows but it just doesn't seem to exist.  On my Windows machine I'm using Putty to connect to a Linux box just for this basic functionality.  That annoys me.
7)  Spaces/Expose/Hot Corners.  I think this is just a comfort thing but I can 'move around' an OSX environment considerably faster than I can a Windows one.  Win7 got some of this right, but it's still not equivalent.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »

Primary reason we're still on Windows machines?  99.9 percent of our clients are.  I don't see that changing for a very, very long time (utility companies move at a glacier pace when making changes in their IT standards).

That being said, I still prefer Windows.  I would be curious to see how (and if) dba tools on the Mac would hold up to Windows offerings.  If anything, I would push for a change to linux before I went down the mac road for our needs.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »

Man if this iMessage is as good as it's looking, I can't wait to drop our texting plan!

http://www.cultofmac.com/imessage-is-going-to-be-huge-heres-our-hands-on-look-at-how-it-works/99296
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2011, 05:13:03 PM

The reason to go Mac is that it's a vastly superior OS for getting work done.  The reasons for going Windows on a work machine are pretty much non existent now.  Windows only advantage is gaming.  For everything else, I'd rather have OSX.

Yawn. I keep hearing this. I don't see it. I have a Mac as my every day machine at work and use a PC at home. I get real work done without difficulty on both. I find nothing magical about OSX. It's a great operating system. So is Windows 7. Go with either, they both rock.

Yeah, this is the kind of "Macolyte" nonsense I thought we got away from half a decade ago.  The business world is chugging away just fine on Windows, and Win 7 in particular is an excellent OS.  Both ecosystems have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The problem is, lots businesses are still stuck on XP.  Comparing OSX to XP is completely unfair, yet it's totally valid from a use case standpoint.  I think part of why OSX is doing so well in the Enterprise today - IT departments are letting end users choose between a Windows XP, crap hardware laptop or an Apple OSX laptop.  The choice is obvious at that point.

Now personally, I'll admit I am a more techy user than most, but I haven't seen anything on Windows that matches the following functionality on OSX:
1)  A good launcher.  I'm still using Quicksilver and really, really love it.  The built in Win7 bit does a good approximation, but it's not nearly as good.
2)  A good screen cap/annotation/hosting tool.  I've been searching for a Windows Skitch replacement for years and one just flat out doesn't exist.  Skitch alone makes me do any creative work on my Mac rather than my PC.
6)  Nix terminal software.  I desperately want someone to make one of these for Windows but it just doesn't seem to exist.  On my Windows machine I'm using Putty to connect to a Linux box just for this basic functionality.  That annoys me.
7)  Spaces/Expose/Hot Corners.  I think this is just a comfort thing but I can 'move around' an OSX environment considerably faster than I can a Windows one.  Win7 got some of this right, but it's still not equivalent.

Heh. All I can say in response to this is that you are occupying some rare air with respect to your computing needs, my friend. slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on June 07, 2011, 09:21:41 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2011, 05:13:03 PM

Heh. All I can say in response to this is that you are occupying some rare air with respect to your computing needs, my friend. slywink

Basically every Silicon Valley tech dork functions the same way I do.  There are many of us.  slywink
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »

Everyone at my job as well. And we're not a small company...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 02:05:26 AM »

gellar here's an article on calendar improvements:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/08/inside_apples_ios_5_calendar_improvements_help_make_iphone_ipad_pc_free.html
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »

Thanks for posting... doesn't seem to resolve the vast majority of my issues though.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »

Apple announced during their earnings call that OSX Lion is launching tomorrow 7/20/11.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »

The best thing about Lion:

The damn irritating non skippable intro movie is gone!

Finally!

As someone that has to install OSX about once a day, this is a godsend.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

New MBA have been released today too.  Getting Sandy Bridge processors and other updates.  Looks like the white MB has finally been discontinued.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 20, 2011, 02:34:33 PM

New MBA have been released today too.  Getting Sandy Bridge processors and other updates.  Looks like the white MB has finally been discontinued.

ARRRGGHH.  Still won't let me have more than 4GB of RAM in that thing.  DAMMIT.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »

Where's my new phone?!?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 20, 2011, 06:37:29 PM

Where's my new phone?!?

Aug/Sept
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »

Does anyone have one of the new MBA?  I need to update my laptop and I will mainly use it for web, email, iMovie, and iPhoto.  From reviews it sounds like they would be more than powerful enough for that.  Looking for any impressions here.

Thanks!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 27, 2011, 03:56:15 PM

Does anyone have one of the new MBA?  I need to update my laptop and I will mainly use it for web, email, iMovie, and iPhoto.  From reviews it sounds like they would be more than powerful enough for that.  Looking for any impressions here.

Thanks!

It specs out to be faster than my current MBP, so I'm pretty sure it can handle those tasks more than capably. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 27, 2011, 04:14:56 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 27, 2011, 03:56:15 PM

Thanks!

It specs out to be faster than my current MBP, so I'm pretty sure it can handle those tasks more than capably. 

Thanks gellar
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »

I have the 11" Air from January and it's been awesome.  I haven't done anything with iMovie on it, though, so I don't know how it does with video rendering.  Overall, it's been exactly the "power of a laptop, portability of a netbook" computer I was hoping it'd be, and of course the latest revision is even more powerful than what I have.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

of course there are already rumors of the next MacBook Pro biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2011, 07:55:38 PM

I know that killed me.  I figure if I keep waiting though I'll never buy.  The 13" MBA looks (and sounds from reviews) amazing.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »

Just buy it. 
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

I swear apple runs these sites themselves to keep the hype alive.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on July 27, 2011, 08:11:28 PM

I swear apple runs these sites themselves to keep the hype alive.

They should hire Crystal Method to make a new theme song for them: Keep Hype Alive.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »

First rule of Apple Products:  Buy the DAY it comes out so you can maximize the amount of time wherein you have the new shiny.

I'm waiting for the new iMacs for this very reason.  I missed my window of opportunity the last time they refreshed.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 27, 2011, 09:39:35 PM

First rule of Apple Products:  Buy the DAY it comes out so you can maximize the amount of time wherein you have the new shiny.

I'm waiting for the new iMacs for this very reason.  I missed my window of opportunity the last time they refreshed.

They are still pretty darn recent:

Last Release May 03, 2011
Days Since Update 85 (Avg = 229)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 27, 2011, 09:48:17 PM

Quote from: gellar on July 27, 2011, 09:39:35 PM

First rule of Apple Products:  Buy the DAY it comes out so you can maximize the amount of time wherein you have the new shiny.

I'm waiting for the new iMacs for this very reason.  I missed my window of opportunity the last time they refreshed.

They are still pretty darn recent:

Last Release May 03, 2011
Days Since Update 85 (Avg = 229)

Yeah I just missed it.  I'd rather wait the 6 months or so.  I don't really need one now... I just probably will want a new PC by the time Diablo 3 comes out and that timing should be somewhat reasonable.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »

Have been waiting 2 years for a MacBook Pro to replace my old, white MacBook and just gave up and grabbed a 13" Air on Saturday.

I expected it to be old news in less than a week. That's how this works.

Loving it so far.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »

Quote from: Devil on July 28, 2011, 01:33:22 AM

Have been waiting 2 years for a MacBook Pro to replace my old, white MacBook and just gave up and grabbed a 13" Air on Saturday.

I expected it to be old news in less than a week. That's how this works.

Loving it so far.

I'm gonna bite too.  My laptop is 4 years old and needs to be replaced, BADLY!  Stupid Amazon says 2-5 weeks shipping though...I'd go Apple Store, but I have a $500 credit at Amazon that's begging to be used for this.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2011, 02:49:36 AM »

I hear you -  I had some Best Buy gift cards and credit, plus for some reason, it was $100 less there, so that worked out.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »

Wow Amazon ship times for the 256 gb 13" went up to 1-2 months...maybe I'll be waiting after all.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2011, 05:34:47 PM

Wow Amazon ship times for the 256 gb 13" went up to 1-2 months...maybe I'll be waiting after all.

Have you considered Apple.com?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »

I have a $500 credit at Amazon

Somehow I doubt Apple.com will honor that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:58 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 28, 2011, 09:04:25 PM

Yeah as Exodor pointed out, I have a $500 credit at Amazon that I'd like to use for this, otherwise I'd be off to my local Apple Store (or maybe even BB with their inexplicable $100 off sale).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:37:57 PM by leo8877 » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2011, 09:34:58 PM

Yeah as Exodor pointed out, I have a $500 credit at Amazon that I'd like to use for this, otherwise I'd be off to my local Apple Store (or maybe even BB with their inexplicable $100 off sale).

Hot damn, glad I checked like a lunatic.  Amazon got some in stock and I got my order in!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:20 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 29, 2011, 09:45:02 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2011, 09:34:58 PM

Hot damn, glad I checked like a lunatic.  Amazon got some in stock and I got my order in!

Got my Air delivered tonight an hot damn it's the coolest thing ever...I love it!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2011, 04:44:44 AM »

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/29/itunes-match-allows-both-streaming-and-downloading-of-music/

Developer beta of iTunes was released today and it includes iTunes Match for the first time.  They have confirmed that it is not only cloud storage of your iTunes library, but streaming of your entire library as well.  I'm so in for $25 a year.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »

It's hard for me since 3 quarters of all the music I listen to, is on Spotify.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 30, 2011, 02:25:49 PM

It's hard for me since 3 quarters of all the music I listen to, is on Spotify.

Yeah Spotify has pretty much nullified the need for iCloud for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: