http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 01:53:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow, I hated gamespot and EB before but now I really do...  (Read 1588 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:03:27 AM »

I`ve read numerous threads about this before and whatnot...well...

I really HATE the way the these dumbass stores can sell used as new. Once I got a "floor copy" of rallisport for xbox (back in the day :wink: ) and under the lights in the store it looked fine, I get home and look at it, and wow. It was all fucked up. It looked like someone put it on the ground and stepped on it and actually tried to hurt the disc. They were all like, "Oh wow, how did that happen?!?", " that never happens!" etc. etc.

That was years ago, and since then I`ve only purchased MAYBE 2 floor copies of stuff because of this crap. And in the last 2 years or so, I haven`t bought any.

Well, my wife wanted a copy of meteos so we could play together since I have one and she likes it. I found a EB that had two NEW copies or so they said. So we get there and there it is, all opened and whatnot. Both were like this...Well, it looked in really good shape and I left it up to my wife. Either to take this one, or we`d go looking for another. Since it`s kinda hard to come by at this point, she decided just to get this one. She knows I HATE to do this, but it is her copy. So that`s what she did. No biggie.

We just got around to playing it earlier tonight and guess WHAT!?! Since meteos keeps stats...we found out that it was first turned on at 7PM ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT!!! The damn store wasn`t even open then, so they can`t just bullshit me into thinking someone at the store played it. Which IMHO is wrong also. So we payed for a NEW one and got a USED one!!! :evil: .

So since the game and case etc. is really in great shape and it was only used once before, we plan on keeping this copy. Literally it was only turned on once before, I know that also because the stats tell how many times you turned on, when it was first powered on etc. But, wow are they going to have to deal with some shit from me tomarrow! I fucking can`t stand this kind of shit!

I feel better after venting :wink: , but why Oh why can`t anyone do what they are supposed to?

Plus anytime I open something it`s "used" in their eyes, but the other way around...NOPE! :roll: Anywho anyone else just as angered by this bullshit?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:09:38 AM »

Wow - that is pretty jacked up.  I know that they are trying to protect their product from shrink, but that is just shoddy business.  *shakes head*  I think you have a right to be outraged on that one.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 06:33:49 AM »

For me, once that shrinkwrap is off, I consider it used so I'd be pissed if they were trying to convince me otherwise.  Luckily, I haven't had to deal with that yet, but I probably wouldn't buy it if the shrinkwrap wasn't there.  With their reputation for pulling that crap, I'd assume it was an open item.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 06:37:37 AM »

The RAGE won`t let me sleep!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  Just kiddin`. I`m just drinking some beers and playing WOW :wink: . But, it seriously does piss me off.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:36:45 AM »

That's it. You pushed me over the edge. I will never buy from EB or Gamestop again. I feel pretty good about that, too.

The way they incessantly push the used stuff irks me. They are really sticking it to the developers, who don't see a dime from used sales. And passing used stuff off as new? Terrible.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »

What I really love is the line they always give my brother and I when we walk in obviously with nothing in our hands:

"You guys bring in some used games?!"

We've gotten to the point where we have our hands up when we go to the store so we don't have to hear the dummy say that all the time.

But I'll continue to go to those stores.  Luckily, there's a Gamestop that employs some pretty knowledgable employees (though, they just hired a new guy, and he was completely clueless as to what Metal Saga and Steambot Chronicles were) and we usually go there, even when it's a longer drive.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 09:43:50 AM »

Wow, the anger is felt not only by me :!: . I used to know alot of decent EB employees. They all quit, I wonder why :roll: .

I love the "do you have any trades" question also... :roll:

I`ll post back after I deal with this...
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:41:58 PM »

One of the big reasons I quit working at Gamestop fairly quickly.  I hated being required to ask stupid questions of people all of the time.  That and the insane magazine/trade-in/reserve numbers.  I just wanted to help people find games and do the usual customer service stuff.

Unfortunately the usual customer service stuff seemed to consist of things I would not like as a customer <G>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »

Wow, I hated gamespot and EB before but now I really do...

To be fair I think you mean Gamestop not Gamespot.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 03:45:22 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
One of the big reasons I quit working at Gamestop fairly quickly.  I hated being required to ask stupid questions of people all of the time.  That and the insane magazine/trade-in/reserve numbers.  I just wanted to help people find games and do the usual customer service stuff.

Unfortunately the usual customer service stuff seemed to consist of things I would not like as a customer <G>

What's even more annoying is their constant push for pre-orders.  When I went into Gamestop the other day to pick up Brain Age, they immediately sailed on me to pre-order the new Mario game for the DS.  The guy actually told me that if I didn't pre-order one that I probably wouldn't get one...that they would be sold out.  

These Gamestop guys are getting worse than used car salesmen.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 07:03:30 PM »

I like shopping at the local EB despite the hard sell.  Olga (i believe she's latin) is a master seller.  I've seen her get people to buy the 1.00 disc guarantee and pre-order a game that they weren't ready to preorder.

I came up to the counter and she said the first two words of her pitch and I said no thanks.  

She's just doing her job.

Everyone always says they're giving up on EB....
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 09:40:35 PM »

I dont have either of these stores in my city and I dont buy used games, unless they are in perfect condition with manuals, boxes, whatever.

I've boughten 1 used game in my entire life and it still works fine.

I dont often buy new games either. I buy one game and play it until I'm sick of it then switch to a new one. Then go back and play my old ones again smile

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »

Due to the LaPorte effect, I never bought used nor traded for games.

Then I started- now if I can find used games in perfect condition, I'll buy them.  It's how I've filled out my PS2 collection.

Of the dozen or so games I have, I only bought a couple, including  Guitar Hero, new.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 08:14:56 AM »

I recently have given up shopping at gamestop myself.  It was hard to do as it is all of a block away, so it saved time.  But I've noticed they were really ratcheting up the pressure to buy used games.  That and I've noticed the credit they  were giving for used games has been going to pot.  Oh, and whats the point of buying a used game if it's only $5 cheaper than new?  I actually laughed at the clerk when he pushed very hard to get to buy PGR3 used when a 'new' copy was only $5 more.  But the last straw for me was upon buying Oblivion, 'new', for $60 bucks (!), but the damn thing was already opened and sure enough he retreived the dvd from behind the counter.  Damn it, I payed for new, and new means unopened!   Bastards lost my business for good.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »

I just hate how they act like it's nothing when selling you used as new (and me being the shy person that I am, I don't say anything.)  I never give in to stupid "add a dollar for this" or people trying to make you buy more.  But it's uncomfortable.  The only EB that I don't mind doing business in is the one that my Brother-in-law is a Manager at.  But from the way they have been treating him (empty promises and lies about hours) I doubt he will stay there much longer.  

My Wife and I went to the mall this weekend and every story they ask you to open up a credit card, or just bugging you for help.  First off, why would I get a credit card for a store I shop at maybe twice a year, or why would I want to "save 15% off of my purchase" when I'm buying a 5 dollar item?  We learned the only trick to get them to stop talking is to say you have one, you just aren't using it today.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 11:27:10 PM »

I was in a Gamestop today to look for a copy of Diablo II (I shouldn't have been shocked when I found out that they don't carry PC games anymore). While looking around the store I noticed that the clerk was using one of those Game Dr. devices on a CD (DVD?). When he was done, he made the comment to another clerk that the game looked good as new. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually tried to sell it as new.....
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 12:09:34 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
While looking around the store I noticed that the clerk was using one of those Game Dr. devices on a CD (DVD?). When he was done, he made the comment to another clerk that the game looked good as new. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually tried to sell it as new.....

You are shitting me.

I tried using one of those before and it absolutely managled my music CD.  That's some shoddy, shoddy shit.

TheMissingLink on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 05:38:21 AM »

I'll never buy used games over the internet from there.

I ordered a few PS games, and the ones they sent me looked like shit- broken (and printed) jewel cases, the discs had stickers on it, etc.  Just disgusting.

I ordered Shadowbane and Riddick from them last month (new).  I got an email that it was being shipped, but it never showed up.  I emailed them about a week and a half later, and they told me I have to wait ten full business days...  Anyway, I emailed them again after that, and... no reply.  Emailed about a week later... no reply.

So I called them last week, and the guy on the phone told me it was waiting for a refund approval  :roll:  What, does it cost them anything to tell me that the return is being checked into?

I'm going to see if the charges are reversed this week.  If not, I might just call my bank and dispute the charge.

What is the time limit for disputing a charge?
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »

no limit..if you never got the product, always dispute it.  I have people call in at work all the time to dispute charges from 2 years ago.  It's more of a hassle when its that long ago, so I would say try to do it within 6 months (thats when most banks cut off their online files, and put everything on hard copies)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »

The EB near me is always good.  The PC Games have gone down in number but the employees and the manager (I think) still know their shit.  I think it's because this is the EB that the Penny Arcade guys go to.  I think anyway, I've been there at all hours and I've never seen them.  Unless that crazy bearded guy always hogging the stations is one of them.

Just Hiro will do.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 05:16:26 PM »

I miss my old EB near my old office in Marina del Rey.  The folks there were seriously very cool.  Some good things about them:

1)  I remember going to buy a PS2 game and they had only the opened "new" games in stock.  I generally don't have a problem with this.  So long as the game works and the packaging is nice, I don't give a rats as if it's open.  However this time, the manager said "Are you sure you don't want a used copy?  It's going to be the same, since we only have opened new ones left and you're saving yourself some money.  The used copy is in perfect condition."  Now I'm sure they made more on the deal since they sold a used copy vs a new one, but I thought it was cool of them to suggest it.  A true win-win.

2)  They *always* gave me the preorder tchotskis for games, even if I didn't preorder.  Very nice of them.

3)  They stopped asking me stupid questions.  After I became a regular, they never asked if I wanted to preorder something (unless it was relevant and actually a part of our conversation), to add the game "insurance", to ask me if I wanted to trade in any games, or any crap like that.  They knew my answers.

Of course I spent a lot of money there each month, but I liked giving them my money.  They were good people.

The Gamestop near my place now is so bad that I drive 20 mins out of my way to go to a different EB.  I still miss my old one though.

gellar
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 08:24:13 PM »

Since my last dealing with the Sales "Lumps" (tm) from EBGames I will not shop at these stores (that includes gamestops) again.

Fuck them and their pre-order BULLSH*T. It seems like the bastards purposely only get in enough games for the pre-orders and then gleefully tell you when you go in on release day (not to be confused with the shipping day the lumps tell you when you pre-order) that if you didn't get the pre-order you can't have the game.

All I need to do now is go to my local Best Buy now. When Oblivion came out they had 50 copies on the shelf and a blue shirt even came up to me and helpfully asked if I needed any help.

Best Buy isn't always trying to sell used game as new either. Like fucking $5.00 off the new game price really inclines me to buy a game.
Why are we still talking about ebgames and gamespot when Best Buy has decided to treat us correctly and wants our business?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 08:31:36 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Why are we still talking about ebgames and gamespot when Best Buy has decided to treat us correctly and wants our business?

Dude.  Best Buy?  Really?

gellar
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

Yeah, gellar. In my experience, they have the games on release day and have a bigger PC section than any of the EBGames stores that are near where I live.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 10:16:52 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

Yeah, gellar. In my experience, they have the games on release day and have a bigger PC section than any of the EBGames stores that are near where I live.

Yeah but then they try to sell you a magazine subscription on your way out the door slywink

gellar
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 01:07:31 AM »

www.bestbuysux.org

'nuff said

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 02:56:13 AM »

I appreciate people who have had tough times with Best Buy buying electronic equipment and such but I am only talking about PC games and Console games.

Right now Best Buy has a better selection of PC Games when Ebgames and Gamestop (Hell, even Walmart does) and Best Buy is not playing the Pre-order game and Used Game Crap that Ebgame seems to love so much.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: