http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:37:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow..didn't expect to find this entry in Wikipedia...  (Read 1679 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_player

The video game player.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 08:46:03 PM »

I never would have thought that entry to be in there.  I guess it shows how popular video games are getting to be.  That's pretty cool.  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:07:15 PM »

wikipedia is great.  I just click "Random page" over and over learning all sorts of useless stuff.  For example, my last three were Paul-Emile Botta, a list of islands in Panama, and Ross's Gull.  Fascinating!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 12:46:37 AM »

Yup...found the random page item, and I've actually learned some nifty things about mathematics.  Wikipedia is my new favorite addict site. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 03:21:02 AM »

I've written a few articles on there.  Have you guys?  I wrote Impressions Games and French Bulldog, and the stub for Tickle Me Elmo, along with some other stuff...

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 07:57:31 PM »

Pwned!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 07:10:03 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
I've written a few articles on there.  Have you guys?  I wrote Impressions Games and French Bulldog, and the stub for Tickle Me Elmo, along with some other stuff...

Dumb wikipedia question. What keeps people from writing bogus articles? do they have to be approved by a staff first?
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 07:24:11 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "Balshazaar"

Dumb wikipedia question. What keeps people from writing bogus articles? do they have to be approved by a staff first?

No idea, but I just edited the video game player definition and it went in right away!

Don't worry, it was a good edit:

""old school gamers" are gamers who think older era games...are more amusing than current video games..."

to

""Old school gamers" are gamers who think older era games can be just as amusing as current video games."

They were making it sound like there is some turf war between "old schoolo" and "new school".

[/u]

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 07:41:33 PM »

Well, I found my answer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Replies_to_common_objections

Fascinating site. I plan to spend some time there later.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 10:09:53 PM »

People pretty quickly jump in to change crappy information.  Plus, since the history of the pages is saved, if one gets hacked, it is just reverted to its previous state.  

The interesting thing about Wikipedia is that some very controversial topics end up with relatively short articles, since there are always discussion points about what should and shouldn't be included.  Other times, those same topics send up with really detailed information from both sides of the controversy, providing an awesome way to learn about current hot topics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: