http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 04:00:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worlds of Warcraft - An Introspective  (Read 3123 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:20:30 PM »

So, Tim and I got into the Worlds of Warcraft Beta over the weekend.  First off I wanted to see if anyone from CG has made it in so we can adventure together, but second I wanted to really commend Blizzard for making the first MMO that never felt like a treadmill.  I'm level 14, almost 15 and I'm still enjoying it as much as when I started.  With the quest system, the pets, the tradeskills, and the sheer scale of the game I just don't find this to be 'more of the same' as I did with other games in recent memory. (Lineage II comes directly to mind)  

I'm casting my support to Blizzard, congratulations....you've got the formula, and my 12.95 when the game goes retail!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »

KD -

I am not in the beta, but I would love to hear more about it honestly.  Any adventures/impressions you have, I would love to read them.

I watched an 8 minute long video on EverQuest 2 on Sunday that is on Gametrailers.com.   It just looks fantastic.  

So, between these two mega-games, I think MMO fans have alot to look forward to.  

After the way CoH dominated my life for about 3 months, I am hesitant to ever play one again, but if ANY could pull me back in, it is probably one of these two games.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 01:22:41 PM »

It's going to go on the new computer.  I've run the beta from work a few times and it just slogs along because of the crappy integrated graphics card.  Anyway, I do plan on playing this quite a bit, my username is the same as here.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:18:45 PM »

The guy who created SDL is working on this game. He is really cool too, I see him helping people with SDL all the time on the SDL NG.

WoW is the first MMO game I've ever been interested in. Blizzard and its Battle.net have been nearly flawless, so I expect great things from WoW, and judging by this short preview it is going to deliver.

Mr. Burke, do you, by any chance, know what the monthly fee is going to be?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:32:13 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
Mr. Burke, do you, by any chance, know what the monthly fee is going to be?

I actually asked Ron this and the current rumor is $12.95 a month.  There has been no official word yet.  For reference:

City of Heroes: $14.95/mo.
Everquest: $12.95/mo. (other pricing plans as well, no word on EQ2 yet)
Galaxies: $14.99/mo.

I can't think of any others at the moment, others can add to the list.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 07:33:20 PM »

WoW has basically taken over my PC time, as it's absolutely nothing like a level-grind like ALL the other MMOs I've played (EQ, DAoC, AO, SB, SWG), as there's so much to do other than just killing for experience (crafting, herb collecting, fishing, general chatting, wandering).

Sure, you do kill, but the meat of this game are missions. Each town/land you enter has a ton of quests to do (which do mostly revolve around killing, but there are quite a few exceptions), which net a ton of bonus experience on top of doing the quest itself. And each mission has its own story as well, which really draws you in.

The only exception to the above is CoH. That game is so fast paced and so much fun to play that you don't realize that you're just doing a level grind. The ton of missions available (even though they give squat for experience at the end) helps. Although they really need more mission interiors.

But between WoW, CoH, and the two console RPGs I intend to buy in the next two weeks (Tales of Symphonia on the Cube and Sudeki on the Xbox), I suddenly no longer have the free time to do anything. Gotta get my priorities straight though for the site though...

More WoW time!  :twisted:

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »

AgtFox,

Thanks for the info =)

WoW has basically taken over my PC time, as it's absolutely nothing like a level-grind like ALL the other MMOs I've played (EQ, DAoC, AO, SB, SWG), as there's so much to do other than just killing for experience (crafting, herb collecting, fishing, general chatting, wandering).

Man, it is sounding more and more promising. I wish I could have gotten in on the Beta Test =D
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »

/curses impending wedding killing the free time required for CoH and rpg's in general

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 08:52:11 PM »

One last thing about WoW - this game is fun. I haven't had so much absolute *fun* playing a PC game since CoH...

Blasted addicting MMOs...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 09:09:06 PM »

What makes it so much fun? CoH looks like an absolute blast, which is why I'm interested, but SWG just killed me in the long run. Great concept, horrible execution with the most over-developed interface and grinding system I've ever seen. But I never did play EQ. So what sets WoW so far apart, and I'll admit to not being the biggest WC fan around, that it's worth playing?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 01:33:41 PM »

WBS, you probably don't even want to mention WoW and SWG in the same breath.  In regards to grinding, the two are about as far opposite as you can get.  

SWG was nothing but grinding and boring, repetitive missions.  SoE managed to cram in about as many timesinks as they could, and punishment was at an extreme.  You spend way too much time running around (although I imagine this has gotten better with vehicles in), you have to wait for shuttles (always loved getting there with 9:59 to go), mysterious crafting failures (with no indication of what exactly figures in to the failure formula), carpal-tunnel inducing crafting system, vendors that were nothing but a pain to manage, and the whacked out massive amounts of useless stuff you had to craft to get to the good parts.  And let's not even get started on the bugs.  For every feature or patch, SoE would break 10 other existing systems.  At the end I completely lost all faith in SoE to do anything without affecting the game in some negative way.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, WoW has almost no grinding.  You will get way more XP doing quests (and there are a ton of quests) than you ever will grinding on mobs.  The quest types are varied and interesting (although some of the kill x to gather y number of z quests can get a little crazy sometimes).  Travel is fun (I'm riding a bat!) and even though you could call the actual trip a timesink, I'd much rather spend a minute or two flying over the land watching stuff happen below me than goofing off in the starports.  Crafting is about as simple as you can get...you put all the ingredients in your inventory, call up the craft window, select the recipe, click the "create" button and after a few second wait, voila!  your item is ready.  No failures.  No double-clicking to fill slots.  Nada.  Just about as easy as you can get.

As for bugs, while they do exist, when I first started playing a few months ago the game was super-stable.  There are usually a few bugs introduced in each push, but none of them have been even close to what we had to deal with in SWG.  A lot of folks said that they could've released the game a few months ago, and I'd generally agree if it weren't for the lack of some unfinished areas that needed content.

So what's the catch?  Bliz seems to be using a "design-as-you-go" development strategy.  PvP was just introduced about 4 weeks ago or so, and it's nowhere near what it needs to be.  Bliz has said that they just put in a very basic PvP strategy for now so they can start collecting balance info.  Auction houses also just made it in and need a lot of work.  Talents (similar to Diablo 2's skill system) are only in for Warriors and Mages at this point.  A whole class (the Hunter) has yet to be released as well, so it'll need balancing and such.

Still, WoW is hands-down one of the best games I've played and easily the best MMO (although I've only played it, SWG, and CoH, so that's not saying much).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 04:27:18 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
Still, WoW is hands-down one of the best games I've played and easily the best MMO (although I've only played it, SWG, and CoH, so that's not saying much).

It's funny - as amazing as the crafting/tradeskill system is, there is exactly one boring tradeskill - fishing. And even that is interactive, as you need to hit a button at an indicated time to get your catch. And there's lots more to catch than just fish as well... smile

All crafting tradeskills automatically succeed, period. There is none of this 'whoops, I goofed' stuff in the game. Short of fishing, where the fish can get away.

Geez, I keep saying nothing but bad things about fishing. :roll:

What else... The quests you do are based (mostly) around the area you get the quest in. The level of the quest is directly based on the level of the mobs you'll have to hunt. Some quest givers won't give out quests until you gain enough levels, and most quests seem soloable (although a duo makes things much, much easier).

As much fun as CoH is, WoW is going to be the cream of the crop. The game is so far along that it could be released today, and be better than Everquest ever was in my mind.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 05:50:33 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
It's funny - as amazing as the crafting/tradeskill system is, there is exactly one boring tradeskill - fishing. And even that is interactive, as you need to hit a button at an indicated time to get your catch. And there's lots more to catch than just fish as well... smile

I've made an effort to try out almost all the tradeskills this push.  Fishing is boring, but (and it's a big but), I've found myself enjoying it more when use it as a time to relax.  I don't like the interface that much (my finger slips far too many times causing a no-catch), but it is something that can be remarkably peaceful if you do just take a few breaths and listen to the water.

It's also kind of funny some of the stuff you can find.  Someone the other day linked an item in chat that they'd caught called "teamster's head."  Ah, here it is on Thottbot.

I do hope they flesh it out a little more at some time.  It'd be a cool little mini-game if they made it a bit more interactive.

[edit]

And to clarify my earlier statement, there are no failures in crafting, but there can be failed attempts with the harvesting skills, particularly if the item you're trying to harvest (via mining, skinning, herbalism, or fishing) is way about your skill level.  It's nowhere near the negative impact as failed crafting in SWG though.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 06:25:16 PM »

Well, I've done well with just occasionally using my herbology skill.  I can usually find what I need to get by with my enchanting skill.  I like how the skills are complimentary but not mutually required.  You don't HAVE to skin creatures to work on leather, you can buy it cheap enough, but that cuts into your profit margin.  I'm finally at a skill level where I can craft and make money with it.  Good times.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 07:00:41 PM »

Just a tip, I would at least pick up skinning no matter what else I wanted to do in-game.  You're constantly going to be killing things that can be skinned, and to not be able to do so is just wasted money.   It may not sound like much, but each piece of light leather vendors for 13c.  Get 10 of them, and now you're 1s 30c richer than where you were before.

Mining and herbalism are far less useful (and more of a pain to use since you have to activate the power every few minutes), but I've noticed that both sell pretty well (herbs in particular) in the Auction House.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
It's also kind of funny some of the stuff you can find.  Someone the other day linked an item in chat that they'd caught called "teamster's head."  Ah, here it is on Thottbot.

I liked the Dwarven Fishing Pole I saw posted the other day. Yes, folks, this is a gun.  :shock:

Question for the other beta testers - is it worth getting Fishing up to rank 2 (or above)? I've maxed it out at 75 now, and I've found a few interesting items to make it worth fishing from time to time just to make a bit of cash. Either that, or I should get Skinning Rank 2, and keep skinning the mobs I off all over the place.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: