http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:07:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World War Z Movie  (Read 4035 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 16, 2012, 06:22:57 PM

I guess I really need to read wwz.  It's been on my list forever it seems. 

That would require you to learn how to read.  Don't strain yourself.    icon_biggrin

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »

Can we keep the stupid bickering contained to the R&P forum please?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 16, 2012, 11:48:27 PM

+1
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 02:40:34 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 16, 2012, 11:48:27 PM

yes that's a bit uncalled for.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:49 AM »

Maybe I'm not aware of any previous altercations, but I thought the big smilie made it pretty obvious it was a joke or friendly jab.   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 17, 2012, 03:50:49 AM

Maybe I'm not aware of any previous altercations, but I thought the big smilie made it pretty obvious it was a joke or friendly jab.   icon_confused

*ding*

Seriously, some people need to unwad their panties.   Tongue

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »

Well intentioned or not, it's not exactly puppy hugs and unicorn kisses with Eco over in R&P.  Maybe you and Eco are the best of buds and have a weekly poker night, I have no idea, but from where I sit your comment has a good chance of spawning Eco flame war #682.  Yes, even with a smiley emoticon.  I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you avoid fanning the flame wars outside of R&P.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »

This may turn out to be a surprise after all.  Harry over at aintitcool is raving about it.  Now, before you jump down my throat, I trust Harry's review of films almost as much as I trust that the NSA isn't reading this post right now.  He's been a studio shill for whoever pays him for a very long time.  However, his description of how they're treating the zombies in the film is what has me intrigued. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
The movie focuses on zombies as a virus.  The incubation period is seconds and they aren't out to eat people, they're a hive mind virus that wants only to procreate.  So they bite and move on.  When there's no viable hosts around, they go dormant until there is.

Do I wish they'd just drop any all reference to the fantastic book?  Hell yes.  This is NOT Brooks' World War Z.  Not even remotely.  But if they're going to make it, the least I can hope for is that it might be entertaining.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »

My thoughts  on World War Z the movie. To my surprise this has become the most viewed item on my website and in only 3 days.

http://timothywlong.com/world-war-calm-fuck/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:52:21 PM by Crusis » Logged

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on June 10, 2013, 09:50:34 PM

My thoughts  on World War Z the movie. To my surprise this has become the most viewed item on my website and in only 3 days.

I was pretty bummed to get halfway into your article and realize you hadn't seen an early screening of the movie and were instead just hypothesizing.   icon_confused

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 10, 2013, 10:44:23 PM

Quote from: Crusis on June 10, 2013, 09:50:34 PM

I was pretty bummed to get halfway into your article and realize you hadn't seen an early screening of the movie and were instead just hypothesizing.   icon_confused

The technical term is "stirring up shit" for hits.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »

I always new cats were evil.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 10:35:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 11, 2013, 09:34:34 PM

I always old dogs were good?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 11, 2013, 10:35:14 PM

This is how you win contests!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 10:48:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 11, 2013, 10:38:19 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 11, 2013, 10:35:14 PM

This is how you win contests!

Spellcheck I blame.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »

My friend Rhiannon Frater saw a screening and loved it.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »

Was going to see this tonight but I'm seeing this tomorrow afternoon.   Really dislike fast Zombies, but I interested in seeing how they translate the book into the movie no matter how loosely based it appears

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 20, 2013, 01:41:41 PM

Was going to see this tonight but I'm seeing this tomorrow afternoon.   Really dislike fast Zombies, but I interested in seeing how they translate the book into the movie no matter how loosely based it appears

Aren't these more flowing zombies, than fast zombies?

A new one
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 20, 2013, 01:42:48 PM

I read them described as single minded organisms that will run over anything in their path to get to a victim and that's why they flow. It probably sacrilege to the Z purist to see fast zombies. Personally I think slow zombies are about as threatening as a bunch of drunken senior citizens.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »

I am pretty sure that the only translation was with the title.. From what I read previously, it pretty much has nothing to do with the book.. Gonna see it anyway, but what a waste of book rights... They could have named it something different...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on June 20, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 20, 2013, 01:42:48 PM

I read them described as single minded organisms that will run over anything in their path to get to a victim and that's why they flow. It probably sacrilege to the Z purist to see fast zombies. Personally I think slow zombies are about as threatening as a bunch of drunken senior citizens.
Well, with fast zombies, we'd probably all be screwed with close to 0% survival. With slow zombies we at least have a chance.. also with slow zombies, it's about crushing numbers.. yeah, 1V1, no big deal.. Even 1V4 or so... but when you get hordes, it's a lot worse... Just look at multiple Walking Dead episodes...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2013, 04:38:13 AM »

Or watch Zombie University.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 02:45:13 PM »

Watched it last night, based on a fresh meter at rottentomatoes. It was tracking at 70%. My thoughts--the movie's good.. but only as long as you let go of the book.. because it it's not at all the book. It's a thing of it's own creation. Also, it's not a zombie horror film.. It's an action-disaster movie where the disaster happens to be fast-moving zombies. The flick moves fast, ends at decent length and leaves you somewhat satisfied. Nothing more, nothing less. The movie was reportedly saved in the editing room by Brad Pitt and the director Marc Foster. Props must be given to the film editors because this movie was reportedly a huge clusterfuck and you don't see that much when you watch it. A decent summer disaster popcorn film.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »

What was making it a disaster before the cuts/edits?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »

icon_cool

Quote from: hepcat on June 21, 2013, 02:46:13 PM

What was making it a disaster before the cuts/edits?

The movie cost upwards of $200 million to produce. The director, Marc Foster, stepped aside and let Brad Pitt take over the edit. Pitt got feedback from several other filmmakers, including Steven Soderbergh and even George Clooney, on the film. The whole third act of the film was re-written and re-shot. It became very expensive. The movie was slated to open last Christmas.. and all the fixing delayed it by 6 months.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »

Ah, thanks.  I knew it had a bit of a history, but wasn't sure what made up that history.

Was Foster stepping aside and letting Pitt work on things a mutual decision or something forced on him by the studio as a sign of no confidence?

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »

We saw it last night. We both thought it was a really good movie! As PG_GMR said, forget any ties with the book... They really should have came up with their own name and it would have helped for the book fans...
One thing as a take away... Never go anywhere with Brad Pitt... He has the worst luck/timing in a survival scenario!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:04:26 AM by Punisher » Logged
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 21, 2013, 06:37:11 PM

Never go anywhere with Brad Pitt... He has the worst luck/timing in a survival scenario!!

Sounds like this guy. I don't ever want to meet him or see him in person.  icon_biggrin

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2013, 02:59:54 AM »

Saw it this afternoon and thought it was just so-so. There's nothing from the book in this film other than the name. The director seems to have gone to the Michael Bay school of directing with quick cuts and the unrelenting camera movement. The only time the camera stopped going crazy was near the very end which I think was all the reshot footage.

Wasn't big on these types of zombies which seemed a bit superhuman in how they moved. And odd how some of the dialogue was "what are they?", like the people could'nt tell that the zombies looked like humans. The reshot footage at the end did work better adding a few more nuances to their behavior which did work.

I had my hopes up for this one after a few positive reviews but it fell well short of what I would have liked to have seen in a movie with this title.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:54 AM »

I still don't understand the logic of buying the rights to a great story, and then not using it at all.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »

Saw it today, and having never read the book, enjoyed it for what it was. It was engaging, if somewhat cookie-cutter, it at least boasted a great cast, and it laid the clues out nicely, instead of just having them come p with an answer at the last possible second.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 22, 2013, 03:28:54 AM

I still don't understand the logic of buying the rights to a great story, and then not using it at all.

I felt the same way about NBC naming Maria Bello's show Prime Suspect last year. I'm still bitter about that; such a great show that was never given a chance.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 22, 2013, 03:28:54 AM

same here... while a great book, I wouldn't exactly call it mainstream.... ie: they were purely banking on the popularity of the book..
the movie would have done just as well (if not better), with a different title..
people who read the book wouldn't have started with expectations that are dashed and people who never read the book wouldn't care about the title to begin with..
Still, we enjoyed it anyway...
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2013, 12:39:58 AM »

Saw it last night. I will see it again with my sons. Then we will spend an entertaining hour and a half ripping it to shreds for being relentlessly stupid. 
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:08 AM »

I really enjoyed this. At times it felt like the movie that Contagion tried to be a few years ago. I wish there had been more large scale battles with the military fighting off the Z's. Anyway, as far as disaster flicks go it was a lot better than some in the last decade like Deep Impact and Day after Tomorrow.

I guess I am not the only one that liked it because it's made enough money to already start talking sequel. Bring on the zombies.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »

I caught it yesterday and while I'm still very disappointed that it has zero connection to the book from which it took its name, it wasn't a bad film.  If they'd named it something else, it might have received a better reception from the nerd community.

At times it felt like I was watch a sequel to The Andromeda Strain.  I found that aspect interesting.  And I was very pleased with the Dario Argento/Goblin inspired soundtrack.  That actually saved more than a few scenes from tipping over into annoying. 

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2013, 12:47:43 PM

I caught it yesterday and while I'm still very disappointed that it has zero connection to the book from which it took its name, it wasn't a bad film.  If they'd named it something else, it might have received a better reception from the nerd community.

At times it felt like I was watch a sequel to The Andromeda Strain.  I found that aspect interesting.  And I was very pleased with the Dario Argento/Goblin inspired soundtrack.  That actually saved more than a few scenes from tipping over into annoying. 

I think it was Matthew Bellamy, from Muse, who did the soundtrack.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »

Saw it last night and enjoyed it for what it was.
I knew ahead of time that there was no real link to the book so my expectations were managed.
I simply feel that this could have been called '28 Days Later: The Global Story'

I do think they did a great job of portraying a sense of tension throughout the movie.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »

Except that Brad Pitt doesn't really do any zombie shooting.  The folks around him do, sure.  

He did throw a grenade but didn't try to outrun the explosion.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: