http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Cup 2014  (Read 1629 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »

Each one has been at a different league level: Netherlands, EPL, and now direct FIFA. 

Mauro Tassotti got 8 games for a deliberate action that broke the nose of Luis Enrique back in 1994.  I think that getting the full 2-year ban will require a mass murder on the pitch

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »

Seems about right to me. Biting is odd and silly, but a lot worse stuff goes on than that and gets little punishment.

Urequay and Liverpool fans are pissed! Twitter is highly amusing this morning. Supposedly he's off to Barcelona and this ban will not affect that.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »

Rather than ban Suarez, I don't know why FIFA and the leagues he plays in don't just make him wear a mouth guard. He's obviously a repeat offender with no ability to handle his primal/vampiric urge to bite. The minute he doesn't wear his mouth guard in a match, ban him for life or put a wooden stake through his heart.   icon_twisted
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 04:28:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 26, 2014, 03:06:39 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 26, 2014, 02:59:34 PM

Suarez out for 9 games and four months for his third career bite attack on an opposing player.

Seems kind of lenient for a 3rd offense and at the World Cup of all things.
Agreed.  He should be banned from the sport.  No place for that kind of aggression in sports. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 26, 2014, 04:19:52 PM

Rather than ban Suarez, I don't know why FIFA and the leagues he plays in don't just make him wear a mouth guard. He's obviously a repeat offender with no ability to handle his primal/vampiric urge to bite. The minute he doesn't wear his mouth guard in a match, ban him for life or put a wooden stake through his heart.   icon_twisted
I believe they have a shot of this. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 26, 2014, 04:31:02 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 26, 2014, 04:19:52 PM

I believe they have a shot of this. 

Perfect!!!    icon_cool thumbsup
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »

Ghana has now tied up there match with Portugal. Not looking good here for Team USA - they look seriously outclassed in this match. If it wasn't for Howard they'd be down by 2 or more goals. They're going to need some major, lucky brake to walk away from this one with a draw.

[Edit] Portugal has taken the lead (2-1) again - there's hope yet for Team USA.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:39:43 PM by kronovan » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

4 minutes of stoppage time in both games, we have to melt down quickly to not advance.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »

Portugal won over Ghana, so we get to move on.  Whew. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »

Team USA moves on to face Belgium - a team that appears to have returned to their form of the 80's. Going to be a good, but challenging game for team USA.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 26, 2014, 04:28:08 PM

Suarez out for 9 games and four months for his third career bite attack on an opposing player.

Agreed.  He should be banned from the sport.  No place for that kind of aggression in sports. 

I know soccer is thought of as a non-contact sport for some reason in the US, but have you seen the stomping, elbows, cleats up tackles, and portentional leg breaking challenges that often don't get much more than a yellow? There are many players known for this kind of behavior. A lifetime ban would be way out of wack for something that is stupid, but not really that dangerous. Suarez's racial abuse last year was worse than this.

US did not look good today, pretty sloppy and just didn't do much, but it was against a really good German side. Going to watch Belguim today and pay closer attention to who we are up against.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »

If they play like they did against Germany during the next game, the US doesn't have much of a chance.  They weren't horrible, but the certainly weren't aggressive enough.  It was like they were afraid to cross over to Germany's side of the field.  

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 26, 2014, 06:40:49 PM

Quote from: Caine on June 26, 2014, 04:28:08 PM

I know soccer is thought of as a non-contact sport for some reason in the US, but have you seen the stomping, elbows, cleats up tackles, and portentional leg breaking challenges that often don't get much more than a yellow? There are many players known for this kind of behavior. A lifetime ban would be way out of wack for something that is stupid, but not really that dangerous. Suarez's racial abuse last year was worse than this.

US did not look good today, pretty sloppy and just didn't do much, but it was against a really good German side. Going to watch Belguim today and pay closer attention to who we are up against.
I think those attacks are also worthy of a ban if the player has a history of them and has show that they aren't going to change their ways.  Basically, any player that repeatedly oversteps the boundaries of sportsmanship.  Maybe a lifetime ban is too long, but if A-Rod gets a year for juicing and the Saints get busted up for year over the bounties, then multiple biting attacks should warrant a higher punishment than he got. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »

Lol! Belgium plays half the game down a player & still manages to beat Korea.   icon_razz

So very happy that Algeria did the David & Goliath thing & advanced at the expense of Russia. First Russia completely chokes in Olympic hockey and now this.  icon_lol
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »

Mexico played their hearts out yesterday, but just couldn't keep it together for the final 10 minutes against the Netherlands.  The Dutch team was patient.  They let the Mexican players wear themselves out and then capitilized on their late game mistakes.  I don't know how they do that.  I guess it's just experience. 

The Costa Rica and Greece game was a nail biter too. 

Some of the European and South American players are so talented, it's like they were born with a soccer ball at their feet.  I don't know how the US team stands a chance other than to maybe outwork the other teams just through sheer determination.  Some of the things I saw European and South American teams do just moving the ball around were amazing.  Backwards heel flick passes, lots of slick 1 touch passing. 

That said, I hate all of the flopping, fake injuries, and pretend head bumps.  It's insane.  They look like idiots.           
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 30, 2014, 07:32:58 PM

Mexico played their hearts out yesterday, but just couldn't keep it together for the final 10 minutes against the Netherlands.  The Dutch team was patient.  They let the Mexican players wear themselves out and then capitilized on their late game mistakes.  I don't know how they do that.  I guess it's just experience. 

The Costa Rica and Greece game was a nail biter too. 

Some of the European and South American players are so talented, it's like they were born with a soccer ball at their feet.  I don't know how the US team stands a chance other than to maybe outwork the other teams just through sheer determination.  Some of the things I saw European and South American teams do just moving the ball around were amazing.  Backwards heel flick passes, lots of slick 1 touch passing. 

That said, I hate all of the flopping, fake injuries, and pretend head bumps.  It's insane.  They look like idiots.           

The US's passing and ball possession leaves a lot to be desired. This is where Bradley was supposed to help, but he isn't playing up to the level that he has proven that he can. Maybe the MLS move was bad for him?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 30, 2014, 07:44:48 PM

The US's passing and ball possession leaves a lot to be desired. This is where Bradley was supposed to help, but he isn't playing up to the level that he has proven that he can. Maybe the MLS move was bad for him?
The difference in the quality of passing and ball possession really stands out.  It's like watching masterful artists of their craft and then watching novices or journeymen who are working really hard, but just don't have the skill level.  Maybe determinition and good fortune can prevail over skill and experience?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »

That seems harsh. Maybe I am so used to it I don't notice it anymore? Outside of the usuals offenders like Robben and Ronaldo I don't think it's been bad at all. In fact it seems much more physical than the WC usually is. We have seen a broken arm, a couple of black eyes, cleats dragged across shins, and collisions that caused bloodshed on more than one occasion.

So many great games so far, this has been the best WC I remember ,and I haven't missed one since 1986.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 30, 2014, 09:59:00 PM

That seems harsh. Maybe I am so used to it I don't notice it anymore? Outside of the usuals offenders like Robben and Ronaldo I don't think it's been bad at all. In fact it seems much more physical than the WC usually is. We have seen a broken arm, a couple of black eyes, cleats dragged across shins, and collisions that caused bloodshed on more than one occasion.

So many great games so far, this has been the best WC I remember ,and I haven't missed one since 1986.
I like seeing them play more physical, but it seems like a good amount of the collisions result in 1 or more of the players exaggerating what actually happened, sometimes with unintended comical effect.  I understand it's part of the game, it's just detracts from all the good things they're doing.  I like it when the refs ignore it and play on...or issue a yellow card.

I saw the final and runner up matches for the women's world cup in Pasadena and they hardly ever flopped or exaggerated injuries.  They would collide and just keep on playing.  It was cool to watch.  They played tough.  I thought the ladies were great ambassadors for the sport.  Get knocked down, get up and keep playing.       
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2014, 01:56:12 AM »

Seriously, soccer players are the biggest pussies of all time.  I've been into this world cup, but it's painful to watch sometimes. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 01, 2014, 01:56:12 AM

Seriously, soccer players are the biggest pussies of all time.  I've been into this world cup, but it's painful to watch sometimes. 

Oh come on. I admit most of it is pretty embarrassing, but usually it is just to get fouls/cards/influence the refs and/or time waste. Unfortunately it works, so they do it. Nothing to do with being a "pussy". I can also say having played when I was kid and seeing some of the pictures over the years of the injuries the pros get, some of it does hurt like hell. American's like to think it's not a contact sport, but it is. I have seen players get gashes in their head stapled on the sidelines and go back in and play.

It certainly makes the sport look bad, I do agree, but if you watch enough of of it you get used to it. When Arsenal players do it, I am scared that it may be a real injury. When opponents do it I am cursing them for diving/over exaggerating. It's all just part of the game.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »

I wonder if having the time stop every time the whistle is blow would help get rid of these delays. Of course that would make the game a lot longer. They could reduce the halves to 30 minutes to offset that.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 01, 2014, 12:27:15 PM

I wonder if having the time stop every time the whistle is blow would help get rid of these delays. Of course that would make the game a lot longer. They could reduce the halves to 30 minutes to offset that.

NO! I keep hearing this from what I assume are people who don't watch soccer much. The game works fine as is, stopping the clock would kill the flow of the game and introduce tv ads to the game (although there is fear that is already happening with the cool down breaks). The clock does stop, the ref keeps the official clock and stops it for long pauses. The 45 minute haves work fine as is. Luckily there is no chance of this happening. FIFA is against changes unless they can make money off of it.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 01, 2014, 02:57:57 PM

FIFA is against changes unless they can make money off of it.
Don't you think they would make a boat load of money off in game televised advertising?  I hope it never goes in that direction, but I think in game advertising would be much more profitable than adboards at the stadium.

It's so weird as an American trying to understand that there is an entity (FIFA) bigger than the commerical enterprise of a league.  In my mind the Premier League, like the NFL or NBA, should be able to do whatever they want in the interest of their league and sport.  But all of the pro leagues are overseen by FIFA?      
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 01, 2014, 04:45:35 PM

Quote from: Lee on July 01, 2014, 02:57:57 PM

FIFA is against changes unless they can make money off of it.
Don't you think they would make a boat load of money off in game televised advertising?  I hope it never goes in that direction, but I think in game advertising would be much more profitable than adboards at the stadium.

It's so weird as an American trying to understand that there is an entity (FIFA) bigger than the commerical enterprise of a league.  In my mind the Premier League, like the NFL or NBA, should be able to do whatever they want in the interest of their league and sport.  But all of the pro leagues are overseen by FIFA?      

Good point, if FIFA can profit of of ads then it wouldn't be surprising if they are coming. I think there would be quite a bit of backlash though. People were already disgusted with the cool down break ads from what I saw on Twitter and a couple of blogs. FIFA seems to be against any change though, for instance there has been lots of calls to be able to take 30 seconds to review calls and they won't do that. Goal line technology has been around for years and they were reluctant to even adopt that until now. They want to keep the human element to the game.

I believe the structure is FIFA, from there it breaks it down into regions like UEFA, CONCACAF, etc, then to each country's football associations (FA), and then the leagues themselves. The big european leagues threaten to break away from FIFA every few years or to make their own super league but I think there is just too much money involved in it and it would create other problems. Having a governing body is good in that it helps organize all the international cups, tournaments, etc. If the leagues were in charge they wouldn't let their players play in international duty for instance, so it good having something like FIFA providing the rules.

I think the difference between US sports and soccer is that US sports don't compete at a world level so it works for them. In soccer there are just too many competitions between all the countries on a country and club levels so a governing body is need. On international level you have WC every 4 years plus all the qualifying for that. Each continent has a cup, such as the Euros or African Cup of Nations that occur every 1-4 years. Then you have your World Club Cup, Champions League, and then all the tournaments for each countries FA. Arsenal for instance are involved in 4 competitions each season, plus letting their players go off to play what ever international competitions are going on. In other words, it's complicated.  icon_smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »

Yup, Belgium has indeed returned to their form of the 80's.  That was one great game! Howard was truly outstanding; if it wasn't for him the USA could have easily been down 3 by the end of regulation.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

With both Brazil and Argentina now through to the semi-finals, I'm starting to feel more certain that this will again be a cup held in the Americas and won by a team from the Americas. I was very impressed that Brazil got by Columbia, as the latter had been playing so well. Argentina looked very good in their match against Belgium too. Brazil gets Germany, Argentina probably Netherlands, but based on they way they've both played, I'm not convinced either of the European teams are good enough to reach the final.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2014, 09:00:45 PM »

Brazil is down their captain and their star player for them and they haven't really impressed the whole tournament so Germany could take them.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 05, 2014, 09:00:45 PM

Brazil is down their captain and their star player for them and they haven't really impressed the whole tournament so Germany could take them.

I always remember Brazil as having its stars, but also for having a strong team. They weren't about the individual, but the team. That doesn't seem true this year where it was all about Neymar. If Germany get rolling, I think Brazil is going to get beat badly. Of course Germany has been pretty stale themselves.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »

Don't look now...Netherlands and Cost Rica are going to a penalty shootout. Netherlands look like they may have done yet another of their dominate-the-entire-game-but-somehow-manage-to-lose. Sigh...how many times have I watched them do this - deja vu all over again.

[Edit]Phew...Netherlands does it on penalties. There was going to be 1 or 2 breakthroughs there -  a Concacaf team gets to the semi-final for the 1st time since 1930, or the Netherlands finally win a game that goes to extra time. Hard to believe the Dutch had never won a world cup game that went to extra time until today. Next up; a rematch of the 1978 World Cup in a semi-final!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:53:38 PM by kronovan » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »

Unfortunately the Dutch pulled it off. I hate them more and more with each game. Stupid RvP and new United manager.

Predictions: Germany 3:1 over Brazil.

Argentina 2:1 over Holland

Germany 1:0 in the final.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »

I want to say the Netherlands have a chance to go all the way now that they've got the extra time monkey off their back, but I've been very impressed with Argentina. I'm gonna say Argentina wins if they keep the Dutch off the score board. If they let the men in orange get even 1 in the net though, I expect they'l lose. I'll go with Argentina repeating their magic of 78 and pulling off a 1-0.

Even though I've seen the Germans in many a World Cup start slow and finish strong, I"m going to say Brazil gets pumped up by the home crowd and finds a way through. So I'm going with Brazil winning 2-1. With an Argentina Vs Brazil final, I don't even want to venture a prediction, except that it'll be 1 helluva game!  smile
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »

This is amazing, 5-0 as I type this. Complete collapse of Brazil, I almost feel sorry for them.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »

Yep, would never have predicted this - all sorts of records being set in this match! I don't have the audio where I'm watching  it, so I'm curious if the usually very noisy Brazilian crowd is rather silent?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:49:06 PM by kronovan » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »

Crazy town!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 08, 2014, 08:46:01 PM

Yep, would never have predicted this - all sorts of records being set in this match! I don't have the audio where I'm watching  it, so I'm curious if the usually very noisy Brazilian crowd is rather silent?

Very quiet, you can hear the small German contingent singing though. Tears are flowing!

Brazil did seem to get their act together the last 5 minutes. I just don't think this team is good enough to come back from this. Fred as their only striker doesn't instill much hope.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »

Brazil fans booing their own player (Fred) every time he touches the ball. Stay classy soccer fans.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2014, 10:32:39 PM »

Wow...that was...unexpected.   icon_eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2014, 10:48:39 PM »

Never seen an ass-kicking of that magnitude at that level.  Simply amazing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »

Brazil literally had no defense. They just stood there and watched Germany take practice shots. Heck half of their goals came after multiple passes in in the box. That  shouldn't happen at this level. Hell I would be mad if the defense did that on my U9 team.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: