http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 11:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Cup 2014  (Read 1652 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »

I'm trying to remember a world cup when this many top rankned teams took an early exit. Well...I guess in theory Italy is still in, but after that truly suckastic performance against Costa Rica I having a hard time believing they'll beat Uruguay. I'm rooting for Netherlands and Croatia, so I'm not sad to see some top ranked European teams exit before the playoffs.

Anyone else following the cup...

[Edit] Was time to remove the derogatory comments in the Subject line.  smile
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:11:39 PM by kronovan » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »

I'm following.  GO USA!!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

I don't they suck per se'   I think other Federations are catching up in skill level.  I'm impressed by the showing of CONCACAF this world cup.  Hopefully, the USA will come out on top versus Portugal Sunday

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »

Watched every game. Being unemployed is awesome this time of year!

Very glad to see England out of it. I know their team very well since I watch Premier League a lot, so I already despise most of the players on the team (basically I only like Arsenal players). Worse are the British press and fans who act like England is so good, and the US is so bad. For instance, I was listening to an Apple tech podcast this week, where neither the American or the Brit on it follows soccer, yet they were both talking about how bad the US team is and as if the England team was some how much better. Just like four years ago (that was a miserable cup I am glad to forget) when England played the US and all the talk up to the game was about how the US was just a nobody team England would beat easily. So good riddance to them.

Oh, and the thought of Liverpool fans imploding when their star player (Suarez) knocked England out of it, it brings me to giggles.

Spain also happy to see go, they have been dominating for too long. Holland look good, but they have Van Persie so need to lose. Italy have looked like nothing special. Brazil are the favorites, but they really don't look that great. I can see them getting knocked out unless they pick it up a bit.

This looks to be all about CONCACAF. Germany and US are my teams...both still in it and Germany look good.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »

If Team USA can beat Portugal on Sunday they'll no doubt go through - don't see Ghana fairing well against Germany.  Unfortunately my schedule is going to make me miss that game and most of Sundays other matches too. I get Monday though to watch Netherlands Vs Chile and Croatia Vs Mexico. Man am I pumped for those 2 games!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »

Its all about if they can shut down Ronaldo. Watching Portugal, they seem to be a one man team. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but they aren't unbeatable, especially if Ronaldo is off his game or they can contain him. I think we have a chance, but it's going to be tough and I am not sure our back four is strong enough from what I have seen. It's all bout Tim Howard, we need him to be amazing.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »

My French man-crush Giroud is looking amazing. France easily running away with this one.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 08:32:09 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 20, 2014, 07:49:39 PM

My French man-crush Giroud is looking amazing. France easily running away with this one.

It was pretty shocking to see 3 goals in under half the game.  Was France expected to be this good or is Switzerland just that bad?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »

I think it's because France is that good. Last WC they had a manager the players weren't behind and all the egos got out of control. It was a disaster despite all the great players they had. This year they seemed to have gotten it together and are playing like a team. Plus they left baggage like Nasri behind.

The Swiss weren't very good though. Their CBs were both old Arsenal rejects, and I was sad to see they pretty much got ran over and their goalkeeper sucked. Still the Swiss came back late on, but it was too little too late (I missed it, I had to step out at the end).
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 02:57:24 AM »

It seems like it's a standard thing for European announcers and analysts to have a low opinion of Concacaf teams.  It's a nice surprise to see so many of them doing alright for themselves in group play. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »

As to Concacaf teams performing well, I don't really see this being a big break-through world cup for the conference. I'm still of the mind that Croatia will find a way to advance at the expense of Mexico in Group A, and Honduras is out unless you believe in divine/miraculous math. IMO Costa Rica and USA are the only Concacaf teams that will advance to the round of 16. As to teams of the Americas doing well (thinking Columbia and Chile here in additional to the usual Argentina, Brazil) in general, I think that's par for the course for world cup held in the Americas. All World Cups hosted in the Americas, have always been won by a team of the Americas:

Uruguay 1934 - Uruguay
Brazil 1950 - Uruguay
Chile 1962 - Brazil
Mexico 1970 - Brazil
Argentina 1978 - Argentina
Mexico 1986 - Argentina
United States 1994 - Brazil

Now if you were to be talking Women's World Cup - hell yes, both USA and Canada are cup contenders from Concacaf.  slywink thumbsup
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:47:41 PM by kronovan » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »

You really think we will beat Portugal?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 21, 2014, 05:09:39 PM

You really think we will beat Portugal?

There's the possibility that Portugal will prove to not be the chokers they usually are, but my gut feeling says the won't and the USA moves on.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:23:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »

I would feel better about it if we looked a bit stronger against Ghana. We spent a lot of time on the defensive so if we give Ronaldo too many chances, he'll eventually get a couple. Still it's possible, would love to see it, just don't have a lot of hope.

I wish this game would end, very boring. Argentina look very lackluster.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 21, 2014, 05:30:03 PM

I wish this game would end, very boring. Argentina look very lackluster.

I take it you were making your post before Messi's goal  icon_biggrin  - man that was one beautiful goal. Give credit to Iran; their goaltender was outstanding, their defense was solid, and if it wasn't for some excellent saves by the Argentine goaltender they would have a draw.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »

Yep, that was before Messi's goal, which was beautiful. Too bad they waited so long. Credit to Iran for almost making it past the favorites.

Ready for the next game, should be fun. Going to miss the last game of the day unfortunately, but I am ok with that (don't care about either team).
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 08:27:52 PM »

Wow, watching the Germany vs Ghana game and it's not going the way I predicted at all!! Germany looked strong in the 1st half and on the 1st goal, but seemed to have fallen apart after Ghana's 2nd goal.  eek It'll be interesting to see if Germany gets back into the match.

[Edit] Looks like their back in via some good subs.  smile
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:30:23 PM by kronovan » Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »

Wish I could watch right now, instead watching Rio 2 with the kids!  I'm following the cup though and feel the us have a decent chance tomorrow.

Also, I agree about France, they look great so far.  Happy Giroud is playing well.

Sent from my mobile device

Wake up.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 09:07:36 PM »

Disgusted with Germany right now. US better win tomorrow.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »

Did that just happen?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 12:47:24 AM »

If Bradley simply boots the ball out of bounds with 30 seconds left, the US is through.  That guy has been horrible both games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 02:27:05 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 21, 2014, 03:45:02 PM

As to Concacaf teams performing well, I don't really see this being a big break-through world cup for the conference. I'm still of the mind that Croatia will find a way to advance at the expense of Mexico in Group A, and Honduras is out unless you believe in divine/miraculous math. IMO Costa Rica and USA are the only Concacaf teams that will advance to the round of 16. As to teams of the Americas doing well (thinking Columbia and Chile here in additional to the usual Argentina, Brazil) in general, I think that's par for the course for world cup held in the Americas. All World Cups hosted in the Americas, have always been won by a team of the Americas:

Uruguay 1934 - Uruguay
Brazil 1950 - Uruguay
Chile 1962 - Brazil
Mexico 1970 - Brazil
Argentina 1978 - Argentina
Mexico 1986 - Argentina
United States 1994 - Brazil

Now if you were to be talking Women's World Cup - hell yes, both USA and Canada are cup contenders from Concacaf.  slywink thumbsup

Mexico will advance. Concacaf has been tough in this cup and Mexico is playing with a new found confidence.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 02:44:04 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 23, 2014, 02:27:05 AM

Mexico will advance. Concacaf has been tough in this cup and Mexico is playing with a new found confidence.

While I'll admit Mexico has a good team, I don't think it's a slam dunk for them. Croatia looked decent even in their loss to Brazil and would have looked that much better if they hadn't had a bad call go against them.  Meanwhile they absolutely demolished Cameroon - one of the most lopsided results of this tournament yet. It's for sure going to be a good game, and the way things have been panning out at this World Cup so far...who knows.

[Edit] Too bad about Team USA; I figured they'd outplay Portugal, but a miraculous save by a defender and a lapse in the final minute cost them. I won't be surprised if they still make it through, but they're going to need some luck go their way in the last group matches.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:51:32 AM by kronovan » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 05:13:16 AM »

I'd love to root for the U.S. side but they turtle up every time they are tied.  They looked very chippy when down 1 but after the equalizer goal they turn off and wait for the clock to run out, maybe good strategy but boring to watch.  Bradley in the center looked poor on more than one occasion but the one that counted he looked to give that ball to Portugal on a platter.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »

still pissed at this result

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on June 23, 2014, 05:13:16 AM

I'd love to root for the U.S. side but they turtle up every time they are tied.  They looked very chippy when down 1 but after the equalizer goal they turn off and wait for the clock to run out, maybe good strategy but boring to watch.  Bradley in the center looked poor on more than one occasion but the one that counted he looked to give that ball to Portugal on a platter.

That's just about every side, ever, you can't knock the US for trying to kill time by holding the ball up. (Edit: I meant that's every underdog side. They were playing it safe, it wasn't a knockout game. Still I don't think they played that reserved at 1-1 in the game.)

Also thought Bradley did good, he was trying. Yeah he made some mistakes, especially that last one, but I liked his effort. Just that ending...ugh. Exciting game at least.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:12:29 PM by Lee » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »

With both sides only needing a draw to advance, the US/Germany might be the most boring game in the history of World Cup football.  They're both going to play extremely conservative, not wanting to take any chances and give up a stupid goal.  That's what I'm hoping for, anyways.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 23, 2014, 11:59:31 AM

With both sides only needing a draw to advance, the US/Germany might be the most boring game in the history of World Cup football.  They're both going to play extremely conservative, not wanting to take any chances and give up a stupid goal.  That's what I'm hoping for, anyways.

I'm thinking Germany will play really conservative, all they really need is a tie and even if they somehow lose to the US they are +4 on goal differential so the only team that has a chance of squeaking by them is Ghana at -1 and no way is Ghana going to outscore Portugal by that many.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »

I would love a nice, boring 0-0 match on Thursday. Leave the exciting games for the teams I don't care about. In other words every other team except these two.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »

Wow, I knew Netherlands had a good chance to beat Chile, but I really didn't expect them to shut them out! With that win I believe they avoid a round of 16 match up with Brazil.  Go Netherlands!   icon_biggrin thumbsup
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »

Italy officially out, maybe I shouldn't have edited the subject line afterall, as they truly did suck.

I'm bummed about Croatia; their defense played terribly against Mexico and they had an excellent shot miraculously stopped by a Mexican defender. Still Mexico played a very good game -particularly their offense- and got a well deserved win. With Mexico and Costa Rica through, If team USA also advances this world cup really can be claimed ground-breaking for Concacaf.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »

I've never been a soccer fan.   My high school didn't have a team until I was a senior and there was no leagues for kids.  Basketball was king in Indiana at that time.   This is the first world cup that I've really followed closely.  The USA/Portugal game was great.   I can finally start to see why the rest of the world enjoys it so much.   Maybe my interest will stick around and I can follow some other leagues.   A question for all of you fans of the sport.  What leagues do you follow outside the world cup?  Premier league or La Liga?  I gather MLS doesn't have the talent level of the European Leagues.  It seems confusing that the talent is spread out. I guess as an American, I'm used to major sports having one league that stands out.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 11:31:19 PM »

We get better Premier League coverage in the US than they do in England, so it's very easy to follow as long as you are wiling to wake up early weekend mornings (much worse if you are on the West Coast, early games start at 0445 PST). NBC shows every live game they can fit into their multiple channels and the games that aren't on one of the NBC networks are streamed online or on On-Demand. The last day of the league when all 10 games are played at the exact same time they had every game on TV live. Heck, we get better coverage of the Premier League than we do of the MLS.

I just can't get into the MLS, I keep trying to become a Sounders fan and went to a few Rapids games when I lived in WY, but there is just something about it that I can't get into.

LaLiga can be fun, but usually consists of two teams that make a lot more money than the others and they battle it out year after year. Well, except this year when a Atletico Madrid won the league and almost won the Champions League. I don't really follow the league because I have to pay extra to get the channels that show it, and just following the Premier League is already too much soccer to watch. Spain tends to get the best players in the world because Barcelona and Real Madrid are willing to spend millions.

Serie A is the Italian league. I used to follow it, but now it too is on channels I would have to pay extra for. Italian football tends to be very defensive, probing play. They think of it as a game of chess so a lot of people find it too slow.

Bundesliga is the German league, and seems to be pretty exciting, lots of rivalries, big name players (but most of the big names go to Spain or England), and really amazing fans. Again though, you usually have to pay extra for the channels that show it (BeIn Sports and Gol TV).

Champions League would be the best to watch if you don't want to dedicate too much time to it. That's like a best of Europe competition where the top teams from all the leagues compete. Makes for interesting games. Its usually on Tuesdays and Wednesdays afternoons though so can be hard to watch.

My advice would be to watch some Premier League games and see how you like it. It seems like there are guides almost every year for deciding who you should support on websites like ESPN as well. Be prepared though, there are still a lot of boring games, even when the big teams meet up, because often times they are so scared of losing to a rival they will play very defensively. Then other times those rivalries are so strong that they will do anything to win (Arsenal v Tottenham for example is almost always an exciting game).
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to post your recommendations.  I'll have to keep an eye out for Premier League and Champions League games when it starts back up.  We'll see if my interest remains after World Cup fever subsides.   Now that I can recognize some of the players it should prove more interesting.   Maybe a bigger challenge will be finding time to watch as the MLB season winds down and NFL starts up.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »

So apparently my office is setting up a big TV downstairs and grilling out hot dogs and stuff. I guess they figured they were going to lose productivity today either way, so they may as well do it up right.  icon_biggrin
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 26, 2014, 02:51:46 PM

So apparently my office is setting up a big TV downstairs and grilling out hot dogs and stuff. I guess they figured they were going to lose productivity today either way, so they may as well do it up right.  icon_biggrin

thumbsup

Crazy rain at the site of the USA-GER game though!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »

Reports I read that the stadium is flooding, but the pitch is fine and will go on.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »

Suarez out for 9 games and four months for his third career bite attack on an opposing player.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »

Stealing a post from OO, ESPN had a good article on Suarez.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 26, 2014, 02:59:34 PM

Suarez out for 9 games and four months for his third career bite attack on an opposing player.

Seems kind of lenient for a 3rd offense and at the World Cup of all things.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: