http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 11:57:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work Rant  (Read 761 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »

/rant

I've been with this company doing IT work for nearly 3 years now.  There were many 16 hours days, many nights spent in a hotel, etc.  When I started, I thought this would be the job I would stick with until I retired.  Then the company went public and everything changed.  They are slowly outsourcing all our entire IT department, one piece at a time.  All the while our CIO is a complete liar and keeps saying that no more positions will be outsourced.  I heard her say that on one of our first meetings, then heard about how she turned right around the next day and told our netcom guys they were all being outsourced.

So in essence, I am very grateful to have a job when there are so many that don't, but it's driving me to the brink of a nervous breakdown.  When they went public they also split the country in half and moved my counterpart and I to another manager.  This lady, along with her boss, is a micro manger type, which I hate to begin with, and seems like she has way too much on her plate.  I've gotten good reviews the two years before, but this time she got me on just about every little negative thing.  Some of the stuff she put in my year-end review was downright wrong!  I didn't get any chance to sit down and discuss with her, or her manager, so typing out comments to retort was pointless.  What's really strange is my first two reviews were good, the second I even ended up getting a raise.  My mid-year review for 2009 was stellar, with her even rating me higher on some things than I rated myself.  Now I ask you, how can all of that fall apart in a matter of a few months?  I'm doing the same job I've done, the same way it was taught to me when I started.  Now all of the sudden that's just not good enough any more.  I could go on and on, but I won't.

Like the complete and utter idiocy of her supervisor.  As far as IT is concerned, this guy is a complete and total moron.  He makes bad decisions left and right, promises things to our customers before he even knows if it's possible, come up with unrealistic project demands right before they are due, etc.  When I first started, he had just been promoted to a Director level position.  Yeah, that only lasted a little over a year before they realized how worthless he is and bumped him back down to manager.  I think his strongest point is his ability to kiss ass, which he does frequently and does not even try to hide it.  I swear, the guy must have taken some kind of ass kissing class, after almost 15 years in the industry I've never seen anyone do it better.

So now I'm at an impass.  Every bone in my body tells me to resign before I completely lose it and go off on someone, but of course I need the money to pay bills.  I have some money saved, but not that much.  The problem is I still love the people I work with, and the customers I support have always been professional and courteous.  The stress of working for these two assclowns is getting to me, to the point where I don't even want to work for the company anymore.  I'm getting to the point were I don't even want to work in IT either, I'd almost rather sell games at GameStop for minimum wage.

So that's my work rant, had to spill it out somewhere.  Thanks for reading, hopefully your situations is better than mine.  /rant
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:01:26 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »

Don't jump before you've received a parachute.  Channel the rage to dust off the resume and see what else is out there before you ragequit.  It sounds like the winds of change, they are a blowing, and smells like it's coming right off the stockyards.  There are decent jobs out there.  Find one before you jump ship, it that's what you want to do.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »

Your position is bound to be outsourced soon. Get your resume up on dice.com, find a recruiter or two that you can work with, and find something else ASAP.

Not all IT jobs are run by complete morons who don't understand how your job works. Some, yes, but not all. If you've only worked for one IT company you haven't gotten full enough exposure to the full world of IT.

Also, one thing I've noticed about working in IT - the longer you've stayed at a company, the more projects you're now responsible for (maintaining all your old projects + any new assignments) so your workload will always grow and grow and grow at a company. Eventually it will reach a point where all you do is maintain your old projects. Finding somewhere to start fresh every few years is a good idea so that your skillset doesn't stagnate.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 04, 2010, 05:12:45 PM

Your position is bound to be outsourced soon. Get your resume up on dice.com, find a recruiter or two that you can work with, and find something else ASAP.

Yep, we're thinking it's going to be at least another year or two.  With this company though, it could be any time.

Not all IT jobs are run by complete morons who don't understand how your job works. Some, yes, but not all. If you've only worked for one IT company you haven't gotten full enough exposure to the full world of IT.

I've worked full-time for companies, and I've also done several years of contracting work.  Some of the clients I've worked for include Eli Lilly, RCA, DaimlerChrysler, Sensient Technology.  All are world wide companies, so I think I've definitely gotten full exposure to the industry by now.

Also, one thing I've noticed about working in IT - the longer you've stayed at a company, the more projects you're now responsible for (maintaining all your old projects + any new assignments) so your workload will always grow and grow and grow at a company. Eventually it will reach a point where all you do is maintain your old projects. Finding somewhere to start fresh every few years is a good idea so that your skillset doesn't stagnate.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way it's been and I'm not digging it at all.  I've already got my resume out on all the major sites, plus I've got some of my old headhunter buddies looking for me.  Hopefully I can find something soon, if not maybe I'll get lucky and they'll lay me off so I can draw unemployment until I secure a new position.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

I am just trying to figure out why you would sign off on a performance appraisal that you had fundamental issues with? At the very least request a meeting with HR and the manager to go over the issues, bring in prior appraisals and ask questions. If your boss drives you nuts it is a great way to put one to them by having hr come down and start questioning their methodology, especially when you have legitimate reasoning to question them.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »

Its easier to find a job when you already have one - start looking now.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 04, 2010, 05:12:45 PM

I work in IT for a forture 50 corporation and thats not how it works around here. Management actively works to avoid employee stagnation as you describe because they realize that in the long run, its just bad for business. It sucks for the folks that just want to do one thing for the rest of their career, but for most it works out pretty well. Not only does it kinda force the original owner to focus on processes and documenation, it also helps the incoming person by giving them new challenges regularly.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:44:45 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 04, 2010, 06:12:37 PM

I am just trying to figure out why you would sign off on a performance appraisal that you had fundamental issues with? At the very least request a meeting with HR and the manager to go over the issues, bring in prior appraisals and ask questions. If your boss drives you nuts it is a great way to put one to them by having hr come down and start questioning their methodology, especially when you have legitimate reasoning to question them.
This was my thought as well.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:11:03 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on March 04, 2010, 04:52:05 PM

All the while our CIO is a...  I heard her say

Well there's your problem. (we need a half-joking, half-not, little-bit-sexist smiley).
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 04:50:45 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on March 04, 2010, 04:52:05 PM

When I started, I thought this would be the job I would stick with until I retired.  

Wow, really? Been awhile since I've heard from Organization Man.  icon_wink

Honestly, with our economy destroying companies as fast as it creates them (or a little faster, lately), that doesn't seem like a very good bet in any industry. Like it or not, we're all just passing through.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 04, 2010, 06:12:37 PM

Because I really didn't have much choice, deadlines are forced pretty hard.  The way it's supposed to work is that you put your comments in your review, then each person up the chain, including HR, is supposed to sign off.  If there's a problem, HR is supposed to schedule time to sit down and discuss, as of yet I haven't seen that happen.

Quote from: Ironrod on March 05, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Wow, really? Been awhile since I've heard from Organization Man.  icon_wink

Honestly, with our economy destroying companies as fast as it creates them (or a little faster, lately), that doesn't seem like a very good bet in any industry. Like it or not, we're all just passing through.

Well I started in '07, just before the economy went south.  Admittedly, after working in t his business for as long as I have, I was being pretty naive.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on March 05, 2010, 02:15:44 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on March 05, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Wow, really? Been awhile since I've heard from Organization Man.  icon_wink

Well I started in '07, just before the economy went south.  Admittedly, after working in t his business for as long as I have, I was being pretty naive.

My resume looks like this: 1.8 years, 2 years, 1 year, 2.2 years, 1.5 years, 8 years and counting... I'm an IT worker bee. Sometimes you fall into a place that just works. In the 8 years that I've been here my role has shifted a bit along the way, but the past 7 have been pretty stable. Many of the people I work with here have been here for 5-10 years and it's not one of those legacy monolithic places.

As far as the review goes, I wouldn't be waiting for HR to call you. I don't know how big your company is but there should always be a path for you to raise a concern or question to HR.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on March 05, 2010, 02:23:23 PM

My resume looks like this: 1.8 years, 2 years, 1 year, 2.2 years, 1.5 years, 8 years and counting... I'm an IT worker bee. Sometimes you fall into a place that just works. In the 8 years that I've been here my role has shifted a bit along the way, but the past 7 have been pretty stable. Many of the people I work with here have been here for 5-10 years and it's not one of those legacy monolithic places.

As far as the review goes, I wouldn't be waiting for HR to call you. I don't know how big your company is but there should always be a path for you to raise a concern or question to HR.

I hear you there, most of my consulting gigs were usually 6 months to 2 years.  Consultants are prefect to bring in and get things done, then kick out the door once everything is running smoothly.  I'm probably going to hit up HR soon, but I doubt that it goes anywhere.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: