http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 08:30:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolfmother... Oh yessss...  (Read 1053 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:39:23 AM »

Anyone else heard of or listened to Wolfmother?  They are an Australian band that seems to be channeling Sabbath & Zeppelin.  I just got their CD tonight and it's ungodly cool.  It scratches my urge for pure rock in a major way.

If you want a taste of their music you can go to their Myspace site and stream 4 tracks from the album for free.  If you like heavy guitar rock then you should be checking them out!
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:10:27 AM »

It's a stunningly good album.  I first heard Dimension on the radio a few months ago (I had probably heard Woman before that once or twice, but it didn't click right away.  Woman is all over the radio now).  Given the show it was on, I honestly thought they were some old 70s rock/metal band everyone had forgotten about, until their name was revealed and I looked them up online.  It was hard to believe they were a new band.  I downloaded what I could find (which turned out to be what's on the album, which I bought as soon as it came out, minus one song.  It was all available on a couple of EPs previously), and have listened to it frequently ever since.

It's still hard to believe they're a new band, you could play the whole album for someone who hadn't heard them and convince them they were around at the same time as Zeppelin, not 2005/6.  Yet they're not a "rip off" by any stretch of the imagination.  There's a lot of other influences in there, and a lot of originality too.

Can't wait to see where they go from here!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »

I've heard very, very good things about the album too, and have been meaning to pick it up. And as a matter of fact, "Woman" was on the radio alarm this morning, forcing me to wake up to go to work. But I won't hold that against the song.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 01:07:46 AM »

I mentioned at both OO and BC that this is a really good album and only got a couple responses agreeing. Now if they had some big titted women in the band or on the cover I probably could have gotten more people interested but alas it has neither.

To me it's like they made every song a tribute to an influence. One song channels Black Sabbath, another Led Zepplin, another the Beatles, there's even a little Jethro Tull flute in a song, Love Train has a neat little Rolling Stones sounding opening.

This is by far my favorite album of the last 5 years.

tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:36:54 AM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"
I mentioned at both OO and BC that this is a really good album and only got a couple responses agreeing.

I think that was in my thread about them at OO smile
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »

Ooo, ooo, I completely agree too.  From the cover down to the grooves this is a great pure rock 'n' roll album.  Makes me want to pop in Dazed and Confused again.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30:29 PM »

My boss went to their concert they had in Portland last night - he said it rocked.  He REALLY liked it.  And said that everyone else really liked it there too.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:59:33 PM »

heard on the radio that they are coming to Atlanta soon
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 01:23:10 AM »

I am going to buy this cd soon, definately like what I heard on the EP.

In a completely related music note, but in a different style, my wife and I enjoy http://www.thewhitebuffalo.com/ pretty good stuff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:18:31 AM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"
I mentioned at both OO and BC that this is a really good album and only got a couple responses agreeing. Now if they had some big titted women in the band or on the cover I probably could have gotten more people interested but alas it has neither.

To me it's like they made every song a tribute to an influence. One song channels Black Sabbath, another Led Zepplin, another the Beatles, there's even a little Jethro Tull flute in a song, Love Train has a neat little Rolling Stones sounding opening.

This is by far my favorite album of the last 5 years.

Kratz said "nice" and that was all that needed to be said.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 02:23:21 AM »

i'm currently into ooold Sabbath, oooold Grand Funk Railroad, Blue Cheer, MC5, Sir Lord Baltimore... so you would think i'd be into this band (and they're from Australia toooo) - but the guy's vocals really irritate me.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 07:07:10 AM »

Do you like Zepplin?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 07:14:37 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Do you like Zepplin?

they never appealed to me...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 03:52:07 AM »

Oh wow ... I just grabbed the album this morning, and I really like it. Sometimes it takes me a few goes at a disc before I get into it, but I instantly liked almost every song that Wolfmother's churned out. Good stuff. Definitely works for me.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: