http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 09:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woken up by the cops in the middle of the night  (Read 1467 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2004, 01:33:20 PM »

About quarter to 3 this morning, I get woken up by my dog going apeshit, barking and growling at  the front door.  He does that on occasion if he hears something outside, so a half-awake Mrs. Gratch and I try to calm him down.  She thinks she might have heard the doorbell ring, but I figure if it did ring (I was asleep and didn't hear anything), it was probably just kids dorbell ditching.

About 10 minutes later, the phone rings.  We had both fallen back asleep, so we let the answering machine pick it up.  We could hear someone leaving a message, but couldn't make out who it was.  At this point we're both finally awake, and thinking this is all a bit strange.  As soon as the message is over, the phone rings again.  Mrs. Gratch answers it, and it turns out it was the Salt Lake City police.  They were sitting outside our house (we could see them out the front window), and wanted to let us know our garage door was up.  He wanted to make sure no one stole any of our stuff.

While I certainly appreciate his thought, it struck me as a bit strange.  Is it standard police procedure to call people at 3 am to tell them their garage is open?  I'm actually kind of glad I didn't answer the door.  If a cop is standing on your doorstep at 3 am, it usually means someone's dead.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 01:51:10 PM »

Id appreciate it myself...annoyed maybe butappreciative. Might even offer them some coffee...if I drank it. smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 02:38:10 PM »

Wow, that's very cool.  Sure it's annoying to be woken up, but those guys we're actually serving and protecting.  They must be non-jaded rookies. smile
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:47:49 PM »

I don't know if I'd be grateful or mad. Mad at the time and grateful later on when I had my wits about me I suppose.

Ye Olde Farte
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 02:52:53 PM »

I had the exact same thing happen to me, except i left my car door open in my driveway. The funny part of the story is that i sleep, uh in teh buff.

So someone was banging on the door about 2am and the dog starts going crazy. i saw it was the cops so I threw a towel on. I answered the door and it was a female cop who asked me to come outside to look at the car and see if anything was missing. I go outside and see 3 more cops standing in my driveway and i'm clutching my tiny towel for all its worth acting like this was perfectly normal. I think they were as amused as i was embarrased.  :oops:
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 04:09:31 PM »

Hey Jag, I know you're relatively new to this neck of the woods.  But we have this phrase that sounds perfect for that situation.  It's called "Hold on a second, I'll be right out."  Or if you prefer the less subtle "I'm nekkid, lemme put some pants on."  We find that these are pretty effective measures in keeping your neighbors from seeing your nekkidness.  Unless that's what you're going for.  In that case move to South Beach ya pervie.

biggrin  :wink:

:idea:
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »

I know, it would have actually made sense. It's actually worse. We had people sleeping over with both sets of our kids and babies sleeping. My only thought was to stop the noise so the whole house didn't wake up (which it didn't). I only intended to peek my head out the door and my sleep addled brain couldn't really handle any more data at that point.

I've seen Cops, when Florida troopers tell you to move, you go. Plus the female cop was kinda cute.   biggrin
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 04:59:13 PM »

While I certainly appreciate his thought, it struck me as a bit strange. Is it standard police procedure to call people at 3 am to tell them their garage is open? I'm actually kind of glad I didn't answer the door. If a cop is standing on your doorstep at 3 am, it usually means someone's dead.

Maybe he was trying to save himself some work that he'd have to do in writing up the police report on the stolen property that could have gone missing from your garage door being left open?

Preventative Policing?
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 05:22:14 PM »

Same thing happened to me here in Ohio a year or so ago. Apparently a neighbor had reported some things missing out of his garage and they were trying to make sure the same thing didn't happen to me. So I got to in the habit of closing mine.

Then I found out that in a neighboring community they FINE you if you leave your garage door open.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 08:02:28 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
I don't know if I'd be grateful or mad. Mad at the time and grateful later on when I had my wits about me I suppose.

Describes me perfectly.  Irritated at the time (even moreso after I couldn't get back to sleep), but actually grateful now that I sit back and look at it.  I'm actually going to write a letter to the police department and say thanks.  I just wish Mrs. Gratch would have got the cop's name.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Easily Satisfied
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 08:09:41 PM »

When we first bought our house we were horrible about leaving our garage door open.

We are still pretty bad about it, but not as bad. We had some riff - raff across the street a while back so I made sure to close it.

I don't know how I would react if cops came at BCOD to tell me my garage door is open. Couldn't they have just closed it for you?  :lol:
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 12:07:26 AM »

I had a similar strange experience a while back.

I was just returning home from a movie with a friend, she had parked her car in front of my house. I lived across from a church and there is always several big conversion vans parked in their lot. As I was getting out of my car I noticed the nose of a police cruiser peaking around the vans. About the same time my friend called out "My door's locked." She indicated that she didn't usually lock her car doors (bad idea, I lived in the ghetto). The tingle I was getting from that cruiser lurking nearby turned into a full on spidey-sense alarm...

A little background. Earlier the same week three goons had tried to break into my buddies house (which was the other side of our duplex) and rough him up. He manged to lock them out.

Anyhow, the cruiser slides out of it's hiding place and creeps over. The officer gets out and says. "I noticed your dome light was on. I turned it off and locked your door, I've been sitting here watching to make sure no one messed with it."

My friend and I were pleased with the pro-active policing, but I couldn't believe they had time to give everyone that sort of attention.

At that time I was working for another enforcement agency in the same jurisdiction and while I didn't personally know the officer that stopped perhaps he knew who I worked for. Perhaps that status plus the recent unpleasantness got me some special treatment. Or he was terribly bored, who knows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: