http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wizards First Rule dated (Legend of the Seeker for you illiterate cretins :p )  (Read 5507 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »

November 1st.

Sam Raimi's scripted series "Wizard's First Rule" will debut the weekend of Nov. 1 in national syndication, Disney-ABC Domestic Television and ABC Studios said Thursday.

I still cannot wrap my brain around who is going to be carrying the show.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:31:15 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 01:55:04 AM »

Please let it not suck.  Please let it not suck.  Please let it not suck.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:04:46 AM »

Interesting.  The first few books were ok, before it really devolved.  The first book was a very good read, IMHO.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:13:19 AM »

I don't see any possible way this won't absolutely suck donkey balls.  The story will have to be so heavily censored that I can't fathom it making any sense.  And they did a bang-up job on casting too.   Roll Eyes  This is Richard:

(Other picture disappeared.  Let's try again.)

And this is apparently Kahlan (a couple more pictures here:

Also interesting that the series is supposed to debut in a few months, and there is not a single additional actor listed on the IMBD page.  A decent casting of Zedd could possibly help a little bit, but I doubt it. 

But hey, at least I'll finally get to see what I look like!!  slywink
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:28:28 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:18:15 AM »

Hmh, I always pictured Richard to be, uh, a little older looking. Then again, it's been ages since I read the books.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:40:15 AM »

I'm curious how Disney is going to handle the gratuitous S&M torture scenes. Why did they have to pick an author that was already an insufferable prick? At least the film will be classified as "Fantasy" which should piss Goodkind off to no end.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 02:44:24 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on July 19, 2008, 02:04:46 AM

Interesting.  The first few books were ok, before it really devolved.  The first book was a very good read, IMHO.

Agreed. I couldn't push myself to read any of the later books.

And I do think this will suck as a show. When was the last time (short of maybe Stephen King) where a book to TV translation didn't suck?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 02:48:12 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 19, 2008, 02:44:24 AM

And I do think this will suck as a show. When was the last time (short of maybe Stephen King) where a book to TV translation didn't suck?

Just based on the first episode, Generation Kill certainly qualifies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:28:19 AM »

I threw the book across the room after I finished it.  Oddly enough, I did like the short story that was in the Fantasy compilation.

As for the book, I couldn't take being beaten about the head and shoulders with the S&M 'society' and the Evil Communist country.

To make a comparison, The Eye of the World has 7.4% of its review on Amazon at 1 star.  WFR has 12.7%.  (Full disclosure, one of the WFR 1-star reviews is mine, accessible here.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:59:23 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 19, 2008, 02:48:12 AM

Quote from: Destructor on July 19, 2008, 02:44:24 AM

Just based on the first episode, Generation Kill certainly qualifies.

but that's on HBO, and they can get away with murder.  You're right though, the first episode was pretty good.

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:34:17 AM »

Richard (and Kahlan) were in their mid-twenties, at most, when the series started.  Note:  If they're doing one book / season, they needed people who wouldn't LOOK too old by the end, also. 
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:12:33 AM »

So much to pick from in that genre to make a show of and they chose that piece of crap?

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »

Goodkind is anything but. I don't believe in wasting precious time of my life on the works of an arrogant ass who likes to insult his audience. My time's better spent organizing my laundry. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 08:20:42 AM »

Sam Raimi? Of Hercules and Xena fame?

So is this going to be a cheesefest?

Hercules and Xena was awesome, but I can't image that kind of feeling with Wizard's First Rule.

Ah, no matter. Any news about the Song of Ice and Fire series that's supposed to be on HBO?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on July 20, 2008, 08:20:42 AM

Sam Raimi? Of Hercules and Xena fame?

also of Spiderman fame.

and Darkman.

And Evil Dead.

and The Gift and A Simple Plan.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:45:51 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 12:39:10 AM »

the first episodes aired today, but I forgot about them.  luckily they will re-air them tomorrow.   if you're morbidly curious here's the main site so you can find a local station.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 01:55:16 AM »

i forgot all about this, but have to admit being just a little bit curious.  i'll be recording tomorrow's repeat and checking it out, but i don't have much hope for it being any good.  i just don't see how they can really pull off that story on network tv, and the previews make the production look pretty poor.  i'll give it one shot just out of curiosity though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 01:32:47 PM »

I'm not sure at what point in my life I gave up all hope of ever respecting myself, but sitting through the 2 hour premiere of this show only served to reinforce the fact that I truly must hate myself.

In between fight scenes that were obviously made by someone who really, really liked the movie 300, we were forced to sit through naked australian skinny guy, hot chick with one facial expression and the obligatory "Let's introduce our hero by showing him chopping wood shirtless" (seriously, is this the preferred method of displaying your hero on syndicated fantasy based tv shows?).

If I had had a ball peen hammer at the ready, I would've have just planted the thing in the side of my skull at the 15 minute mark to spare myself further pain.  As it was, I was held spellbound by the awfulness of it.  It was like watching a car accident, I couldn't pull myself away (although, unlike a car accident, I honestly didn't care if anyone was hurt during the whole thing).

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:03:55 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »

Thanks for taking that bullet Hep, hope you're none worse for the wear.  I could barely site through the 1 minute trailer, the suck factor was so high.  However, someone does need to post a screenshot of my namesake when (if) he gets introduced...even though I fully expect it's going to be a guy in a rubber mask with some cat hair glued on in random spots.

Quote from: hepcat on November 02, 2008, 01:32:47 PM

In between fight scenes that were obviously made by someone who really, really liked the movie 300, we were forced to sit through naked australian skinny guy, hot chick with one facial expression and the obligatory "Let's introduce our hero by showing him chopping wood shirtless" (seriously, is the preferred method of displaying your hero on syndicated fantasy based tv shows?).

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's how he was introduced in the book as well.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 01:03:30 AM »

OK, I don't think it's as horrible as hepcat put it, but then again he may have just lowered my expectations enough that it couldn't be.  I used to watch Xena and Hercules, so I've come to expect series like this to be on the cheesy side.  I've also only read the first book of the series and never got overly invested in it, so I don't have that whole critical eye aspect going into the TV series.

Because I can,
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »

just watched the first episode...pretty poor acting and cheesy dialog all around, but they do seem to have gotten the basic story right so far (at least what i can remember from reading it 10 years ago).  in fact, it was a little surprising how certain little details jumped back into my mind as soon as a hint popped up...stuff like Zedd reading clouds naked, and the bloodflies that follow garrs around.  that said, the acting, costumes, sets, and camerawork are all pretty bad.  my own curiosity about how they portray the story will probably keep me watching for at least one more episode though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »

I guess I liked it more than some,  but I found it to be pretty entertaining.  It exceeded my low expectations by quite a bit, in any case. 
I haven't read the books so I have no idea what happens, but so far the story and characters seemed pretty cliché (reluctant hero must face growing evil).  I didn't find the acting to be that bad and the special effects were decent.  I'll keep watching for awhile.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »

Maybe its the fact that I have strep throat and am on Meds, but i really enjoyed the show.  I thought the acting was typical fantasy stuff, the effects were good for tv.  The captured the feel of the book well.

-dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »

For the love of God, somebody use the actual, current name of the show:

Legend of the Seeker

so some illiterate cretin like me will know there's already a thread on this.  icon_razz

Author Terry Goodkind's official site has a lot of images from the show:
http://www.terrygoodkind.com/

I totally stumbled onto it by accident yesterday. I think in my area (va.) it runs regularly Saturdays at 9 p.m. on the CW network, and then repeats on Sunday at 4 p.m. (Eastern time).

I liked what I saw of it, and esp. enjoyed the female heroine. It may be Sam Raimi, but other than the occasionally loopy special effect (re the Matrix style slo-mo arrow) it felt pretty gritty and not another Xeena Cheese Fest. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I told my LOTRO kinship about it and they seemed pretty excited, a couple are Goodkind fans. Apparently the book is a lot gorier than the show is going to be able to be as a syndicated show (on HBO/Showtime I imagine Raimi would have limbs and bloodspray flying).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:02:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:37 PM »

It just occurred to me that the syndication market seems to have dropped of from the Herc/Xena days.  Used to be I could count on two/three channels airing them on different days throughout the week.  With the explosion of channels, it seems like more and more shows of this level can find a dedicated home.  Legend of the Seeker seems to be following a distribution model that I haven't seen in years...  Any thoughts on why?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 01:25:55 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 03, 2008, 10:55:59 PM

Apparently the book is a lot gorier than the show is going to be able to be as a syndicated show (on HBO/Showtime I imagine Raimi would have limbs and bloodspray flying).

the books definitely have some gore (like Darken Rahl reading the future from the entrails of little boys that he's molested), but the bigger issue will be seeing how they deal with the sex and BDSM themes that are very prominent once you get past the first book...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2008, 02:25:07 PM

Thanks for taking that bullet Hep, hope you're none worse for the wear.  I could barely site through the 1 minute trailer, the suck factor was so high.  However, someone does need to post a screenshot of my namesake when (if) he gets introduced...even though I fully expect it's going to be a guy in a rubber mask with some cat hair glued on in random spots.

Quote from: hepcat on November 02, 2008, 01:32:47 PM

In between fight scenes that were obviously made by someone who really, really liked the movie 300, we were forced to sit through naked australian skinny guy, hot chick with one facial expression and the obligatory "Let's introduce our hero by showing him chopping wood shirtless" (seriously, is the preferred method of displaying your hero on syndicated fantasy based tv shows?).

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's how he was introduced in the book as well.

No, IIRC he was introduced at the edge of the fringe.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 02:43:43 AM »

Haven't seen it yet, but why is there /so/ much more fighting apparently in this show than in the first book? 

I mean, I can only think of .... a handful of fights in Wizard's First Rule:  The first Quad, the last man of the 2nd quad, the very brutal scene with Rachel (which I can see being heavily edited), and that's about it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 04, 2008, 02:43:43 AM

Haven't seen it yet, but why is there /so/ much more fighting apparently in this show than in the first book? 

I mean, I can only think of .... a handful of fights in Wizard's First Rule:  The first Quad, the last man of the 2nd quad, the very brutal scene with Rachel (which I can see being heavily edited), and that's about it.

Oh come on - you have to have action in order to keep the ADHD generation watching your show week after week. Most books would end up very...boring if you showed them exactly as they were written.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

Zark : his first "marriage" of sorts was in the first book, and he was broken by her (mord sith, if you recall). The sacrifice of the child to enter the netherworld. All of the deaths are brutal and not at all PG13.

There is a significant amount of that book that would rank the TV show as 18+  saywhat
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:28:18 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »

I would rather it be a somewhat more 'mature' show and true to the book than a 'adventure'.  *shrug*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

Oh, I agree. But by the very nature that this isn't on HBO means the edge has been taken right off.

Remember the torture tents and the first time Kahlan sees her home city with the notches in the bedpost with the brutally raped maidens strewn about with limbs hacked off?

Even if they were to do the book justice, it would annoy me that the last 3 episodes would be Richard on some magical pulpit doing nothing but talking. slywink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »

Seeing this man naked on the Wizard's Stone is not something I look forward to:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

I watched this weeks episode, and it involved a magical map that tracked Richards location.  it's been awhile but I don't remember that from the first book, so it looks like they're using the first one as a general outline for the first season, probably with episodes dedicated to the main plot with crisis of the week episodes in between.  I do have to say they're not squeamish about finishing off their enemies:

Spoiler for Hiden:
caving in the entrance of the cave with the guards and the 2 bounty hunters (who were tied up) with that monster was a nice touch.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »

Show is pretty cheesy but I must admit it is growing on me.  Of course I am enjoying the Richard eye candy more than most here.  Having him tied up half the episode was amusing  nod

The one thing that bothers me or makes me laugh I should say is that it constantly seems like someone (generally Kahlan) is running, running, running, running.  Why is she always running?  Where is she running to?  Who knows, but let's show some more running!  It reminds me of a lot of old Chinese martial arts TV shows.  There were limited locations to film at, so often midpoint scenes were just running around the same few spots again and again.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 10, 2008, 09:10:40 PM

The one thing that bothers me or makes me laugh I should say is that it constantly seems like someone (generally Kahlan) is running, running, running, running.  Why is she always running?  Where is she running to?  Who knows, but let's show some more running!  It reminds me of a lot of old Chinese martial arts TV shows.  There were limited locations to film at, so often midpoint scenes were just running around the same few spots again and again.

sounds like she's got herself a Mohican Master 2000

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 10, 2008, 09:10:40 PM

it's a hot girl, in a tight bodice, running.  what isn't there to get?  Tongue  slywink

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 08:05:04 PM »

As a proud illiterate Cretin, I appreciate Ceekay's topic appendage.  bowdown

I finally watched an episode over the weekend. While I liked it, it's just somewhat jarring to keep seeing people slashed and skewered and poked, and there isn't so much as a drop of blood ever spilt. I guess it's not much different than Kevin Sorbo bopping everyone with the handle of his sword, or Lucy Lawless cleanly skewering everyone in sight. I understand it's syndicated TV, it just reminds me of watching a network TV broadcast of Braveheart.  icon_razz

And every sword fight turns into a slo-mo from The Matrix, or an Evil Dead movie. You'll either love the gimmick or find it really tiresome in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:06:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »

Remember Richard Rahl's forms, and that understanding isn't required to appreciate it.

The thing I find most jarring is the fact that he's short and Zeddicus is tall.

I am concerned that this will be a "tales from this era" and not progress the story through the books.

Lastly, Kahlan is hawt. I'd hit it even if especially if I lost my mind. icon_twisted

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoilers don't work now.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »

Have they shown Gratch yet?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: