http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:50:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Phone 7 Series  (Read 4157 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »

Well, the update works great.  Here are some things I like so far:

"scout" from bing maps.  Sort of like "places" from google.  You can pin it to the start screen too. 

I like the "tap" to take picture thing on the camera.
Integrated facebook chat looks cool too, but I turn it off since I dont want to talk to any of them, hah.  But it looks nice.

The new picture stuff is cool, and i love skydrive.  (It auto uploads my pictures to it_  It now changed the background and tile allot more often.  Or at least it seems too. And it pans around the picture in the tile.
The new office got allot better, either that or I figured it out.   I can now get all my cisco switch configs on my phone, work documents, etc.   t also synching to skydrive.

I wish I had a xbox 360 since I got the live account, I want to play around with it more.   Wish it was for playstation 3, lol

So, still simple interface, still looks cool, still the most, ummm..  "fun" OS... 
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »

Well, the force update trick worked for my wife's phone.   I'm not familiar enough with it to notice all the changes.  Are there any new features I should point out?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2011, 03:45:31 AM »

Multitasking is sorta a biggie.

Also, third-party apps can now take full advantage of the home screen blocks... used to be only Microsoft apps can take full advantage of them. No more.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »

Well, the HTC trophy (only win phone on Verizon) has mediocre specs...   The camera kind of sucks,  the rest is nothing to right home about. I have dropped it on concrete about 5 times though and it takes a beating like a champ.

And it flat out smokes my last android phone on speed and response, smooth as silk.

I cannot wait to see a high end Nokia or samsung phone with high end display, etc.   I am not sure it would even need a dual core processor, but I want one anyways.

I grabbed the trophy because I was getting bored with IOS and android, and wanted something different.   
(And it was just $50 bucks on amazon)

Here is to hoping we get a "ass ripping hardware" phone soon on Verizon..   Those Nokia phones look really nice, the ones with the curved screen. 
That fujitsu one looks good too..     I have a upgrade ready.  They need to get off their asses and get some hardware out.  ;-)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »

I'm on a 3gs, and am considering WP7 phone. Any recommendations?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »

Yes, don't get one.  ninja

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »

Insider tip: if you are near a Microsoft retail store, they are running a promo where if you spend $499 or more before tax, you get a free W7 phone with Tmobile (HTC HD7 or Dell Venue) or ATT (I forget which ones), no contract required.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »

After a painful, week-long experience trying to get this update to work on my XP machine (which has ample HDD space for the backup), I finally deleted a crapload of stuff and it all worked fine on my Win7 laptop.  But, man, it was a rough week.

Now I have to move the backup onto a memory stick or something.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 30, 2011, 03:30:27 PM

From what I've seen, the best ones coming out are the Samsung Focus S (based on the Galaxy S II), the HTC Titan (a huge display... if you like that sort of thing), and the Nokia "SeaRay".

Personally I can't wait for the Nokia. It looks amazing - even better than the iPhone.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 01, 2011, 06:53:33 PM

Quote from: Purge on September 30, 2011, 03:30:27 PM

From what I've seen, the best ones coming out are the Samsung Focus S (based on the Galaxy S II), the HTC Titan (a huge display... if you like that sort of thing), and the Nokia "SeaRay".

Personally I can't wait for the Nokia. It looks amazing - even better than the iPhone.

Nokia's event is october 26th...   That samsung focus s is very nice.  Too bad its just for AT and T...

That titan is a fooking tablet...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »

damn, that Titan looks nice.  too bad it's only got 16 gigs of storage, unless I'm missing something on the specs page that is.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »

3.7 to 4 inch is the sweet spot for me.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 05, 2011, 04:58:26 PM

3.7 to 4 inch is the sweet spot for me.

That AIN'T what she said.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2011, 03:42:50 PM

too bad it's only got 16 gigs of storage, unless I'm missing something on the specs page that is.

Have you looked at microsoft skydrive?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 05, 2011, 05:01:46 PM

That AIN'T what she said.

lol
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:05 PM »

Samsung Focus --- anyone have one? Thoughts?

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

The iPhone 4S Is Microsoft’s Chance to Catch up to Apple  At least according to a Gizmodo article.

Right now, Microsoft's awesome Metro user experience is the only real alternative to Apple's dominance. Not in market share—yet—but in terms of technological superiority. FAF, if you will, the Fucking-Awesome Factor. To me, Windows Phone 7.5 feels like the only real challenger to Apple's iOS 5 superiority.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 05, 2011, 06:09:05 PM

It's a great piece of hardware.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

The new Nokia phones look nice.  God knows when Verizon will get one though.   Still 1 phone, the trophy, meh.  

Wonder why its released in 2011 in India, china, Russia, Europe but not the US?  Kind of strange. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:16:55 PM by Morgul » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 26, 2011, 01:12:39 PM

The new Nokia phones look nice.  God knows when Verizon will get one though.   Still 1 phone, the trophy, meh.  

Wonder why its released in 2011 in India, china, Russia, Europe but not the US?  Kind of strange. 

That happens all the time.  The US is way behind on phone technology.  I think it has to do with regulations and testing and whatnot, but the rest of the world usually gets much cooler phones than we do.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »

Yow, the Sea Ray/Lumia 800 looks smoking hot.

*photo is of N9, which is essentially the Lumia 800 running Nokia's Meego software. Still hot.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »

geesh, just seen in UK they giving away free xbox with upgrade to the 800..

Argh, lucky ducks..
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »

Well, I'm starting to get the impression that Microsoft has given up on WP7.  In the last couple of weeks we had Kinectimals come out for the phone and the nifty Xbox Companion App which lets you control the 360 from your phone.  They've also had pretty good integration with Live.

Then, basically right as the Dashboard Update happened, they seemed to cave.  Kinectimals came out for iOS along with an Xbox app.  Also there's a OneNote app, too.   Now, granted the Xbox app is gimped compared to what's on WP7, but it doesn't lend itself to trying to distinguish themselves in the market.

I know there have been indicators that they're not completely done.  I also know that they're sure to make a decent influx of cash doing this, but it feels cheap and undermining.  It's also disheartening to say the least.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:11 PM »

The problem with WP7 from an outsider's perspective is that they have been slow as hell to push out their updates and get these new phones out there.  With as fast as the mobile market moves, the Mango update which had been rumored and talked about since the original launch took them a year to get out the door.  By that time most people consider the hardware to be out of date and have already written it off entirely.

Also, I'm not about to jump on another of their platforms when they let the awesome Zune HD wither on the vine with no promotion or support.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2011, 01:55:56 AM »

I don't know that the general public are even aware of what Mango is.  My wife has no idea that our iPad switched to iOS 5, for example.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 06, 2011, 12:11:46 AM

I agree. Too bad the Samsung Focus S or Flash still aren't in the Canadian market.

As for WP7, I freakin' love it. If MS is going to compete by building a market, they need to get more phones out there (and cheaper than iPhones) as well as coaxing developers to put out the top games from iOS which means helping with a dev conversion kit.

Zune also needs some simpler navigation that falls more in line with Mango, and creating playlists needs to be less complicated. It, along with outlook synching, is just about the only knocks I have against it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 14, 2011, 03:34:11 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 06, 2011, 12:11:46 AM

I agree. Too bad the Samsung Focus S or Flash still aren't in the Canadian market.

As for WP7, I freakin' love it. If MS is going to compete by building a market, they need to get more phones out there (and cheaper than iPhones) as well as coaxing developers to put out the top games from iOS which means helping with a dev conversion kit.

Zune also needs some simpler navigation that falls more in line with Mango, and creating playlists needs to be less complicated. It, along with outlook synching, is just about the only knocks I have against it.

They already have a conversion kit that is, by all accounts, really easy to use.  I've even written to a number of app makers to point this out and beg them to make a WP7 version, but no one seems very interested (apart from Sound Hound who were very responsive and have since put out a WP7 version - unfortunately right as this function was built right into Bing Search).

From what I've gathered in some of these emails and research, it has more to do with the MS app store and the slooow, odd process involved with becoming one of the MS "approved" titles.  And those only get released once a week (actually this week had three releases, so maybe that is starting to change).  If you're buried in the non-approved section, forget it.  It's way to easy to get lost there, and nearly impossible to get any attention or revenue.

There's also the issue of MS app pricing.  At a time when $.99 seems to be the sweet spot, MS apps are still pricing at around $2.99.

And there's some sort of frame rate lock issue, too.  Games can't be 60FPS for some reason.  Or something.  I haven't really looked into this much, as I've only just heard about it.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

The calender on it sucks..

Hope it gets fixed or upgraded sometime.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 14, 2011, 03:59:14 PM

I thought the changes in Mango were really good.  I certainly don't think it sucks.  The only issue I have, really, is that the month view doesn't make the details clear.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 14, 2011, 04:28:59 PM

I thought the changes in Mango were really good.  I certainly don't think it sucks.  The only issue I have, really, is that the month view doesn't make the details clear.

I see the calendar as more of a "jump to date" feature than a "read my tasks" type thing.

I had Android for 10 months or so and got my WP7 almost 2 weeks ago, going from a HTC G2 to a HTC Radar 4G. I love the smoothness and snappiness of the Radar, as well as the slim, no keyboard size of it. The simplicity of Mango is beautiful as well. However, I miss the apps (and the daily free Amazon app) on the Android.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the WP7.

Spoiler for Hiden:
*full disclosure: I work for MS.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »

Exactly.. and for me, that is a prime feature.  IOS and android were much better at allowing me to glance at the calender and see whats going on..

The monthly view in wp7 is almost totally useless.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 15, 2011, 02:51:21 PM

Exactly.. and for me, that is a prime feature.  IOS and android were much better at allowing me to glance at the calender and see whats going on..

The monthly view in wp7 is almost totally useless.

Turning it sideways with a pinch-zoom option would make all the difference. Sideways, yes. Zoom? notsomush.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fW2ZTkTM9L8

lol
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on June 26, 2012, 06:16:06 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I've never felt more like Hitler in my life.  Except for that bit at the end where he'll get the new one anyway.

Best bit was the "Anyone who does not have a Windows Phone leave" and the 3 guys are left.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: