http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Phone 7 Series  (Read 4120 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »

Gracias!  I shall give it a try.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 03:39:58 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 20, 2010, 01:56:07 AM

Quote from: gellar on February 19, 2010, 11:23:14 PM

INDEED.  Why MS chooses not to sell their products to one of the larger growing OS markets is beyond me.

What's your beef with boot camp?  Run Windows 7 on that hardware!

Unless they changed things recently, when in Windows you can't see the OS X partition, which would be where all of my media lives.  Of course if there's a way to get it to sync via VMware Fusion, maybe I'll consider it.  Honestly though I doubt the device would be nice enough for me to jump through hopes to get it to work.  Maybe... but probably not.

Quote from: Chaz on February 20, 2010, 02:22:18 AM

Apple forces me to use itunes to sync with my iphone.  Why is it worse when MS requires that you use their OS to interface with their mobile OS?  I think they're well within their rights to do that, and you're well within your rights to not buy it because of that.

It's worse because it affects me and I am much, much more important than you are.  Duh.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 03:47:40 AM »

crybaby crybaby crybaby

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 04:14:48 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 20, 2010, 03:39:58 AM

Unless they changed things recently, when in Windows you can't see the OS X partition, which would be where all of my media lives.  Of course if there's a way to get it to sync via VMware Fusion, maybe I'll consider it.  Honestly though I doubt the device would be nice enough for me to jump through hopes to get it to work.  Maybe... but probably not.

Actually, with Snow Leopard Boot Camp 3.0 came with a thingy that enables Windows to see your OS X drive(s).

Apple forces me to use itunes to sync with my iphone.  Why is it worse when MS requires that you use their OS to interface with their mobile OS?  I think they're well within their rights to do that, and you're well within your rights to not buy it because of that.

Umm, I don't think anyone is complaining that Microsoft forces you to use their software. They're just complaining that the software is Windows-only.

Last I hear, iTunes is for both Windows and Mac. If Microsoft's software also exists on the Mac, there'll be no complaining anyplace here (well unless we have Linux users amongst us... slywink ). Fail at logic, or fail at reading comprehension? Either way, it's a fail.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2010, 04:20:26 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on February 20, 2010, 04:14:48 AM

Unless they changed things recently, when in Windows you can't see the OS X partition, which would be where all of my media lives.  Of course if there's a way to get it to sync via VMware Fusion, maybe I'll consider it.  Honestly though I doubt the device would be nice enough for me to jump through hopes to get it to work.  Maybe... but probably not.

Actually, with Snow Leopard Boot Camp 3.0 came with a thingy that enables Windows to see your OS X drive(s).

Neato.  I haven't bothered with Boot Camp since Fusion works so well (though I really have no need to run Windows anyway).  Good to know though.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2010, 05:37:27 AM »

Apple forces me to use itunes to sync with my iphone.  Why is it worse when MS requires that you use their OS to interface with their mobile OS?  I think they're well within their rights to do that, and you're well within your rights to not buy it because of that.

Umm, I don't think anyone is complaining that Microsoft forces you to use their software. They're just complaining that the software is Windows-only.

Last I hear, iTunes is for both Windows and Mac. If Microsoft's software also exists on the Mac, there'll be no complaining anyplace here (well unless we have Linux users amongst us... slywink ). Fail at logic, or fail at reading comprehension? Either way, it's a fail.

Well, since the software is Windows-only, if you want the Win7 phone, you need to use a Windows OS.  I'm not sure where my logic or reading comprehension is failing.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 05:44:37 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 20, 2010, 05:37:27 AM

Well, since the software is Windows-only, if you want the Win7 phone, you need to use a Windows OS.  I'm not sure where my logic or reading comprehension is failing.

Right there. If you don't see it, I guess you never will. Alas, good day to you sir, I will say no more of this matter.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on February 20, 2010, 05:44:37 AM

Quote from: Chaz on February 20, 2010, 05:37:27 AM

Right there. If you don't see it, I guess you never will. Alas, good day to you sir, I will say no more of this matter.

Obviously you are the cleverer git.  I'm glad we had this little conversation.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »

I'm really doing my best to hold onto my crappy old phone until one of these comes out.

Apparently, they're developing games that can be played on your phone, your PC or your Xbox and will save your progress in such a way that you can keep going on any of them!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/06/microsoft-shows-off-single-game-running-on-windows-windows-phon/

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »

Unless they changed things recently, when in Windows you can't see the OS X partition, which would be where all of my media lives.  Of course if there's a way to get it to sync via VMware Fusion, maybe I'll consider it.  Honestly though I doubt the device would be nice enough for me to jump through hopes to get it to work.  Maybe... but probably not.

Apple forces me to use itunes to sync with my iphone.  Why is it worse when MS requires that you use their OS to interface with their mobile OS?  I think they're well within their rights to do that, and you're well within your rights to not buy it because of that.

I suspect the reason iTunes is on the PC is because the iPod and iPhone would lose around 85% of their market share if it wasn't. smile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »

At MIX today, they're demo'ing a number of prototype apps built on silverlight/XNA/etc.  cnet has a nice slideshow with screenshots including a couple of games, and a comic book reader.

Oooh - and they showed Netflix streaming:

"Scott Stanfield, CEO of design house Vertigo showing a prototype Netflix app on a Windows Phone. He starts playing "Rescue Me" on his phone. This gets a lot of applause from the crowd and definitely would be a cool feature to have on a phone."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:52:32 PM by Brendan » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »

RWISE FWOM YOUW GWAVE!!!!

Browser wars...GO!
http://gizmodo.com/5620052/mobile-browser-deathmatch-windows-phone-7-vs-nexus-one-vs-iphone

IE Mobile, or whatever they're calling it, is actually looking pretty good...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »

Zombie thread wants your handheld OS space!

They start hitting stores today and Wired has a nice little article about all the work that Microsoft put into getting things to today:

Microsoft would continue its strategy of licensing its OS to manufacturers, but this time it would set the rules: All phones running Windows Phone 7 must meet a criteria of hardware requirements (three physical hardware buttons and a specific CPU, for example), and every device must pass a series of lab tests conducted by robots designed by Microsoft engineers, as Wired.com detailed in a previous story.

These stringent requirements are aimed at ensuring that Windows Phone 7 works consistently across different devices, Belfiore said.

“The team psychology was, ‘Here’s an OEM saying we want to sell a million phones,’” said Belfiore, reflecting on the previous mobile strategy. (OEMs are ‘original equipment manufacturers’ — the makers of computers and phones who have been the backbone of Microsoft’s customer base for over three decades.) “The primary customer was the OEM. Now the target is the person [who owns the phone].”

It ought to be interesting to see if they can gain some traction in the marketplace.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

I was hoping to pick mine up this week.  Looks we're sticking with AT&T for this phone.  Ugh.  I really wanted to go back to Verizon.  But I also really want better phones, and Verizon just doesn't do that well.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 02:04:18 AM »

Well, if you do pick one up be sure to report back here.  I thought the Zune HD was actually a very cool, polished device and I'd be interested to hear if that rubbed off on this as well. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 05:22:51 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 09, 2010, 02:04:18 AM

Well, if you do pick one up be sure to report back here.  I thought the Zune HD was actually a very cool, polished device and I'd be interested to hear if that rubbed off on this as well. 

Looks like I'm clear tomorrow to get a Blackberry Torch for my wife and a Samsung Focus for myself and another two years of AT&T hell for both of us.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »

Has anyone yet to get a Win 7 phone? I'm really tempted to sell my iPhone 4 to a friend and put the difference towards one of these, just not digging the iPhone much at all. Other reviews of the Win 7 phone seem pretty good. My only hesitation is possible bugs, I don't like being an early adopter.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 23, 2010, 05:56:16 AM

Has anyone yet to get a Win 7 phone? I'm really tempted to sell my iPhone 4 to a friend and put the difference towards one of these, just not digging the iPhone much at all. Other reviews of the Win 7 phone seem pretty good. My only hesitation is possible bugs, I don't like being an early adopter.

I got the Samsung Focus, but I'm waiting for the micro SD card issue to be cleared up before I fully commit my love (I don't feel like I own anything on it yet).

However, I can say that the OS is really spectacular and will only get better as app developers learn how to play with it.  It's well organized and sexy.  What more do you want?

The phone part of the phone is pretty good, too.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 23, 2010, 05:56:16 AM

They lost me when they delayed the CDMA phones until 2011 (as well as by not having multitasking or Copy/Paste at launch).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »

I picked up a Tmobile HTC HD7 last Friday. I was interested in that or the new Mytouch 4G. I like Android and the customization is second to none. The 4G was a fine phone with a large vibrant display.

Then I tried the Win 7 phone and had to have one. The interface is brand new and makes the old Windows Mobile 6.5 look like a joke. No more shifting through endless icons looking for a way to configure some obscure crap MS put in the operating system. Why is this one so easy? They took all that stuff out.

Taking a few notes from Apple, the programs are locked down. You can't even drag and drop photos on the phone, from what I have seen. Now you have a 'cloud' to put everything on.

The interface itself is slick, slick, slick. If you have seen a Zune HD then you know what to expect. Everything is designed to look gorgeous. Even the Facebook interface is new, featuring pages that slide rather than selecting tabs at the top. The phone does not lag at all but all the animations mean you are waiting for screens to draw.

Overall I really like the phone. It is one of the simpler smartphones around and it looks great. The hardware itself is already a proven platform since it is basically the same phone as the HD2. With 16 gigs of memory there is plenty of room to store stuff. On the downside you can't access the memory card, just like the way you can't access programs unless they come from the marketplace.

The home screen allows you to 'pin' large graphical icons to it for just about everything on the phone. I have my wife and daughter pinned there and when I turn the phone on I can see their latest FB pic, status, and a click brings up their news page.

The phone is fast and super responsive. But it does come at the cost of loosing a lot of customization. If you love putting new widgets on your Froyo every day, this is not the phone for you. If you love 50 icons ala iPhone, this is not the phone for you.

Since I got it I have sort of retired my ipod touch. The HD7 is bulkier and has a small battery. I get about 24 hours out of it.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »

I am eligable for a new phone in July 2011.   I have a droid now and love it. (original).   I was waiting to possibly jump to a iphone when it comes to verizon..  Or maybe get the next "bigger, newer" android phone, depending on reviews..

And now this comes along.   ugh..     I may go for a phone 7...   Guess we shall see where things stand next summer.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »

Figured this was as good a place as any: how about gameboy games in your phone?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »

Now that you guys have had your Win 7 phones for a couple months, how do you feel about them?  Any regrets on going WP7 instead of Android?  Or any problems with them in general? 

How about apps?  Has their marketplace matured?  Are there a lot of games available?  Have you tried the Netflix or YouTube apps?

I know the new Android phones will be hitting soon, so maybe it isn't even worth considering these anymore.  I hate how quickly these things become "obsolete"...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »

I wouldn't waste my money on a Windows Phone due to Microsoft's anti-gaming (or should I say anti "violent" gaming) stance on it. They are even worse than Apple. Since no game can have enemies pointing guns at you, that pretty much rules out all FPS games.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »

Microsoft is following in Apple's footsteps and has decided to banish any naughty apps from its upcoming Windows Phone 7.

It has published its guidelines for developers looking to create programs for its forthcoming Windows Phone 7 platform. One underlying theme is a stringent focus on banning apps with violent and sexual themes.

In a PDF listing which content was not allowed, it said the following were not acceptable: "Sex / Nudity – Images that are sexually suggestive or provocative (eg sexually provocative touching, bondage, masturbation); provocative images that reveal nipples, genitals, buttocks, or pubic hair".

Other material on the ban list includes:"Content that a reasonable person would consider to be adult or borderline adult content (images, text, or audio)."

Violence is off the agenda too, there will be no: "Decapitation, impaling, blood splatter/blood spurting/blood pooling, or gore. Exploding body parts. Guns/weapons pointed toward user/audience. Strangulation/choking. People or creatures on fire. Cruelty to animals. Audio of humans or animals suffering. Involuntary or physically-resisted sexual interactions with violent or illicit overtones," are not allowed.

http://www.techeye.net/mobile/android-stays-sex-os-as-microsoft-says-no-naughty-apps-please#ixzz1Dz3iKyJC

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 01:55:38 AM »

After 4 months with a Windows 7 phone I dumped it in favor of a Samsung Galaxy S. I really missed Android. Windows 7 is a nice looking OS but it has a LONG way to go. You can't even cut and paste on the phone. Very annoying. The market place is pretty slick. Overall - I felt like my phone was sort of a skeleton of what it could be. Maybe after a few service packs (o whatever they plan to call them) it will be better.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2011, 05:16:17 AM »

Cut & Paste is the first order of business in the first update, due in early March.

I love the phone, myself. 

My only regret is that there's an issue with expanding the Samsung Focus via micro SD.  It reads the memory in a weird way (or may just be juggling the power oddly, as it seems to be turning out, according to some forums), and I've been waiting for the update before expanding it.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »

Nokia is banking on Windows Phone 7, as it is being used to replace their own OS over Android.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »

Well, I like my windows phone 7.   I think I am going to stick with it, I do not think I could go back to android.

Any word on when we will see some "high end hardware" phones on verizon?   I read somewhere that nokia is not releasing in the US this year.   But I seen a sweet fujitsu phone, not sure where they are selling it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »

The Mango update is releasing "in the Fall" but it feels like it's been ready for months now.  I think they're just trying to avoid the fiasco from the last update.

I mention this because Mango phones are ready to go and should release before the update hits, meaning new phones are just over the horizon.

Unfortunately, Verizon is the worst with new phone technology.  I don't know if it's an internal approval proccess or what, but while their network is the best, they're the weakest for the early-adopter tech crowd.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »

Mango in two weeks?

Probably 2 months since I am on verizon grrr

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/09/21/where-s-mango-an-update-on-timing.aspx
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2011, 02:46:36 AM »

Mango is quite cool, especially how everything integrates so well. Look for the groups feature, the new Bing search and the extended apps. I use android and love it but, due to work, will be switching to a W7 phone in the near future.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2011, 03:10:37 AM »

Looks like AT&T is pushing Mango on the 27th!  I've been getting tired of waiting, but knowing it's coming Tuesday certainly lessens the anxiousness.

I don't have the link in fromt of me, but it looks like WPCentral got ahold of some leaked memos.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »

Getting the Mango update now on verizon htc trophy.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »

They've announced that only 10% of users are getting it in the first week and 25% in the first two.  To make sure it works.  Thanks for ginea pigging.

Seriously, I've been waiting for this damned update all day (also for months before that).  Why the he'll wouldn't they announce this plan earlier to cushion the blow?!

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »

That's quite surprising. I've been running it for a couple of months and it's been rock solid -- arguably more solid than NoDo in my experience.

Edit: Bullwinkle, looks like it might only be the notifications of the update that are staggered. Try a sync and it may work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:50:21 PM by zinckiwi » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on September 27, 2011, 07:46:42 PM

That's quite surprising. I've been running it for a couple of months and it's been rock solid -- arguably more solid than NoDo in my experience.

Edit: Bullwinkle, looks like it might only be the notifications of the update that are staggered. Try a sync and it may work.

Sadly, no.  I did that earlier (even tried the "disconnect from the internet trick"), but no dice.  Or no mango, I guess.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »

I just got a WP7 and I love it.  I have no idea when the update will come to Iwireless (a T Mobile affiliate) but I am pretty darn happy with what I see so far regardless of the update.  

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »

Apparently you can force the update if you want.

http://gizmodo.com/5844454/you-can-force-the-windows-phone-75-mango-update-right-now

I may try it tomorrow to see what happens. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on September 27, 2011, 10:44:37 PM

Apparently you can force the update if you want.

http://gizmodo.com/5844454/you-can-force-the-windows-phone-75-mango-update-right-now

I may try it tomorrow to see what happens. 

As I mentioned, I've been trying that.  A lot of people are having success, though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: