http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:38:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 Beta  (Read 20487 times)
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 25, 2009, 04:21:54 PM

I was switching users.  I switched to one, then while switching back to the first the screen went black and never recovered.  I was able to move the still-visible mouse pointer but that was it.

Ah, so no crash at all then, given the mouse movement.

Questions:

Clean install?
What were you doing in the accounts at the time?
Are you running Win 7 certified drivers from WU for video?
100% repro?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 25, 2009, 08:50:36 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 25, 2009, 07:49:50 PM

Ah, so no crash at all then, given the mouse movement.

I don't understand this comment.  Clearly what you call a crash differs from what I call a crash, but the PC was locked up, I couldn't do anything, nothing worked.  I had no choice but to force a reset.  In my book, that's a crash.

Questions:

Clean install?

Yep.

What were you doing in the accounts at the time?

I was literally just checking the user switching (which is very slow I might add, at least compared to Ubuntu).  I probably just had Firefox active on the one account, and nothing on the other.

Are you running Win 7 certified drivers from WU for video?

No idea, but if it helps, the only drivers I've installed have come from Windows Update, so I'd guess yes.

100% repro?

Don't know, I haven't tried it since.  If it happens again I'll let you know.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 25, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 25, 2009, 08:50:36 PM

I don't understand this comment.  Clearly what you call a crash differs from what I call a crash, but the PC was locked up, I couldn't do anything, nothing worked.  I had no choice but to force a reset.  In my book, that's a crash.

Yes, we clearly have different definitions.  It may seem pedantic, but when trying to troubleshoot it's important to be specific about the symptoms.  If you see the mouse cursor moving, the OS didn't crash; services are still running, and it may have been recoverable either automatically, or by pulling up task manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and forcing a logoff, etc.

100% repro?

Don't know, I haven't tried it since.  If it happens again I'll let you know.

If you're able to repro it, there's further steps I can suggest to identify a root cause.  My first impression would be that it's a conflict with something that's being loaded on logon - some apps don't handle fast user switching very well.  One way to troubleshoot it would be to run msconfig and disable everything in the startup tab, the re-enable a couple of things until you're able to track down any possible offenders.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 25, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 25, 2009, 08:59:55 PM

Yes, we clearly have different definitions.  It may seem pedantic, but when trying to troubleshoot it's important to be specific about the symptoms.  If you see the mouse cursor moving, the OS didn't crash; services are still running, and it may have been recoverable either automatically, or by pulling up task manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and forcing a logoff, etc.

Gotcha.  I didn't know about ctrl-shift-esc (was that in XP?) so I'll try it if it happens again.  Thanks.

If you're able to repro it, there's further steps I can suggest to identify a root cause.  My first impression would be that it's a conflict with something that's being loaded on logon - some apps don't handle fast user switching very well.  One way to troubleshoot it would be to run msconfig and disable everything in the startup tab, the re-enable a couple of things until you're able to track down any possible offenders.

Well, I'll try this if it happens again but apart from Firefox I'm really not sure anything was running that didn't come from the clean install.  Could Firefox have been the culprit?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2009, 09:36:23 PM »

Yes, the task manager shortcut was in XP as well.  You can manage apps, processes, services, and users from within it (among other things), so if something misbehaves, you can identify it and kill it from within task manager.

I have no idea what firefox may install; I don't use it, honestly.  Any other app you installed, even if you weren't "running" it, may have added junk to the startup list.  You'll see the full list of stuff enabled if you run msconfig (just type "msconfig" in the search box, and it'll be the first program to appear).
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 24, 2009, 11:25:28 PM

Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, FEAR

I can say those three run fine on my machine, but I don't own the others. I do have AvP2 I could try.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:15 AM »

I had to replace my laptop earlier this year.  The first one ran Vista fine never (UAC was irksome, but I never wanted to turn it off), but the second one was just crop full of irritating as hell problems (screen res resets each boot, big time slowdowns, things taking too long to load, etc).  I have been counting the days to 7, hoping that installing it would magically fix all of my problems.  Of course, I realized that it would almost certainly not fix most of those problems and would probably cause problems of its own.

I installed it Thursday afternoon and had it up and running by Friday morning and damn if it didn't fix all my problems!  I didn't even do a clean install.  There were a couple of problems, of course, but all of them have been fixed already.  The biggest was getting my bluetooth mouse to work.  The most surprising was that OneCare is no longer supported (it may have been causing some of the slowdown, so it's probably for the best, honestly), and I had to pick a new anti-virus program.  I went with Avast (comments?).

There are things I have to get used to, of course.  I actually prefer the libraries, as there were a bunch of folders on my desktop which can be put there, cleaning some clutter.  I don't really like that I'm being forced to use tabs in the browser, though.  I usually have two or three browser windows open, each with multiple tabs.  It helped me compartmentalize my browsing and keep track of what I wanted to read when.  Now I can't really open a new window without jumpig through some hoops, and it's fairly useless anyway, since it looks the same in the IE task bar.  I wish windows would pop more than tabs there and that each click (or even double click) of the IE icon would open a new window.  I didn't think I liked the black and white icons on the right of the bar, but I already appreciate them.  And I love the hidden icons.  I shrank the task bar, but it's still a little too big, IMO.

Overall, though, I'm really in love with 7.  Everything seems to be running more smoothly.  It's different enough to feel fresh, but not so different that I feel lost or have to relearn everything (except for how I browse, of course).  Good job, MS!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 26, 2009, 01:14:04 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 26, 2009, 12:33:38 AM

Quote from: ravenvii on October 24, 2009, 11:25:28 PM

Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, FEAR

I can say those three run fine on my machine, but I don't own the others. I do have AvP2 I could try.

I am running AVP2 on Win7 with no issues.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 26, 2009, 01:19:22 AM »

So before I crack the case on my Home Premium Upgrade preorder would it be better to unload this for a Professional version?

Is that virtual XP going to be needed for things other than gaming (and gaming) or should I just bite the bullet and do it already?  icon_confused

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 26, 2009, 01:28:59 AM »

The Virtual XP will do you no good for any game that uses 3d acceleration, and the ones that don't will likely work fine without Virtual XP.  Don't upgrade for the Virtual XP unless you are a corporation.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 26, 2009, 01:48:58 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 26, 2009, 12:58:15 AM

The most surprising was that OneCare is no longer supported (it may have been causing some of the slowdown, so it's probably for the best, honestly), and I had to pick a new anti-virus program.

Yeah - OneCare's dead. The replacement is Security Essentials (free!).

I don't really like that I'm being forced to use tabs in the browser, though.  I usually have two or three browser windows open, each with multiple tabs.  It helped me compartmentalize my browsing and keep track of what I wanted to read when.  Now I can't really open a new window without jumpig through some hoops, and it's fairly useless anyway, since it looks the same in the IE task bar.  I wish windows would pop more than tabs there and that each click (or even double click) of the IE icon would open a new window.

You have a couple options here - you can launch entire new IE windows (not tabs) using:

• ctrl-N from within IE
  • right-click on the taskbar icon and select "Internet explorer" from the context menu
  • middle-clicking on the taskbar icon

When you mouseover the taskbar icon, each tab shows as a different image, but when you have multiple IE windows open, you can see the taskbar icon tile backwards.  Additionally, each window appears separately in alt-tab or windows-tab.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 26, 2009, 02:12:18 AM »

I don't really like that I'm being forced to use tabs in the browser, though.  I usually have two or three browser windows open, each with multiple tabs.  It helped me compartmentalize my browsing and keep track of what I wanted to read when.  Now I can't really open a new window without jumpig through some hoops, and it's fairly useless anyway, since it looks the same in the IE task bar.

IE has the same shortcuts as Firefox for that, I believe.  

Click to follow a link
CTRL+Click to open link in new tab
SHIFT+Click to open link in new window

And in addition to what Brendan said, if you've already got an application open (like IE) you can also shift click the icon in the taskbar to open another window of said application.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: October 26, 2009, 06:20:31 AM »

The most surprising was that OneCare is no longer supported (it may have been causing some of the slowdown, so it's probably for the best, honestly), and I had to pick a new anti-virus program.  I went with Avast (comments?).

I run Avast! on all my rigs (after not having any sort of protection period on any of them - and also not ever getting infected either) just for piece of mind and whatnot. It's very unobtrusive, takes little resources (it does its full scans whenever you're not touching your PC at all), and releases itself fully whenever you're gaming. Oh, and it's totally free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 26, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 26, 2009, 01:48:58 AM

The most surprising was that OneCare is no longer supported (it may have been causing some of the slowdown, so it's probably for the best, honestly), and I had to pick a new anti-virus program.

Yeah - OneCare's dead. The replacement is Security Essentials (free!).

I don't really like that I'm being forced to use tabs in the browser, though.  I usually have two or three browser windows open, each with multiple tabs.  It helped me compartmentalize my browsing and keep track of what I wanted to read when.  Now I can't really open a new window without jumpig through some hoops, and it's fairly useless anyway, since it looks the same in the IE task bar.  I wish windows would pop more than tabs there and that each click (or even double click) of the IE icon would open a new window.

You have a couple options here - you can launch entire new IE windows (not tabs) using:

• ctrl-N from within IE
  • right-click on the taskbar icon and select "Internet explorer" from the context menu
  • middle-clicking on the taskbar icon

When you mouseover the taskbar icon, each tab shows as a different image, but when you have multiple IE windows open, you can see the taskbar icon tile backwards.  Additionally, each window appears separately in alt-tab or windows-tab.

Does Security Essentials come with W7, or is it a separate entity?  I'm a little surprised that it wasn't listed as one of the choices.  How is it?

As for all the options to get a new IE window open, those are the hoops I was talking about.  Not big hoops, but not as easy as just clicking on the IE icon (which feels like it should still work).  I also get that hovering over the icon brings up the list of tabs and windows, but as I said, tabs and windows all look the same in that list, so it doesn't make much difference.  I probably just need to get used to it, but it's the one thing I don't "love" out of the gate.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »

You should be able to disable tabbed browsing in IE in the General Internet settings under tab settings
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 26, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 26, 2009, 12:41:52 PM

You should be able to disable tabbed browsing in IE in the General Internet settings under tab settings

I do still use tabs, though.

Here's the way I used to browse:  I'd open up two windows, pop open, say Gaming Trend and a news site.  Using tabs, I'd open all the links I was interested in reading from those sites.  Often, something would come up in an article or discussion, or I'd think of something I wanted to check reviews or prices for, and I'd open a new window for that, knowing I would get to it down the road, and it would be on the bottom of my screen as a reminder.  When I got through all of the tabs on a site, I'd go to my favorites and open something else, starting the process again.  It was a great way to organize my browsing.  Now everything is kind of jumbled together.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »

Windows 7 does require those of us with old habits to rethink them. Things like the new taskbar require that we discard our old habits and try to use available features in the way they were meant to. If you're upgrading to Win7 and finding that you're having a hard time doing something the way you're used to, it might be time to try a new way instead of growing increasingly frustrated that it doesn't do things the way you want in the way you want them.

When I first installed Windows 7 I was aware of this and decided to throw away all my preconceptions of how to use the OS and its features. I found it worked out well, and the new way of doing things felt natural within just a few days.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »

I had no idea that Windows Security Essentials was out.  That's great news!   I downloaded it last night and it's up and running.  I sent a link to my parents who got it for their Vista system, so it's not unique to W7.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2009, 01:31:23 PM

Windows 7 does require those of us with old habits to rethink them. Things like the new taskbar require that we discard our old habits and try to use available features in the way they were meant to. If you're upgrading to Win7 and finding that you're having a hard time doing something the way you're used to, it might be time to try a new way instead of growing increasingly frustrated that it doesn't do things the way you want in the way you want them.

When I first installed Windows 7 I was aware of this and decided to throw away all my preconceptions of how to use the OS and its features. I found it worked out well, and the new way of doing things felt natural within just a few days.

Well, that just sounds creepy and cultish.

As I've said, I think W7 is fantastic overall, and I like the libraries system quite a bit.  Forcing me to change the way I use the internet is a grumble, though, and I don't see the enforced method as being better than what I was doing.

It's not changing the fact that I love this new OS, it's just my one gripe.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: