http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:42:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 Beta  (Read 20738 times)
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2009, 04:59:46 PM »

"In theory."  icon_wink

Backup your saved games first!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 08, 2009, 01:31:34 PM

Setup can create new partitions out of unused space,

Quote from: Brendan on May 08, 2009, 02:22:05 PM

No, you'd need to create unpartitioned space first by resizing your existing partition w/in Windows. 

Brendan it sounds like you're contradicting yourself here.  Can I or can I not create a partition when I run the setup?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »

Yes, setup can create a partition, but only from unused space.  Consequently, you can either delete an existing partition and create one from that space, or create a new one from pre-existing unused space.  So, when you use the disk management tools to resize an existing partition, the advantage is that you're doing it non-destructively before you run setup.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:57:52 PM by Brendan » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11:35 AM »

So unused space is different from free space then.  Because I have 40 gigs free on my 80 GB hard drive but it's all one big partition.  How do I go about splitting my hard drive into two different partitions?  I don't have Vista so I can't shrink the size of my partition.  I don't have any partition managers.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »

Well I used EPM to shrink my HD partition and then I created a new 40 GB partition from the unused space.  Installed like a charm.  Unfortunately I'm having trouble with my audio.  I tried installing my realtek drivers which came with my computer but after it installs and the computer reboots I get an error saying that the install failed.  I'm not sure what to do.  I'm pretty sure the drivers I was using previously were AC'97
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »

Windows 7 didn't install drivers for you automatically? And are you sure you're installing correct drivers for your OS version (you can't use 32-bit drivers in a 64-bit OS, for example).
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »

It's ok I fixed it! I think I grabbed the 2.19 drivers for the vista version and it worked.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 09, 2009, 02:06:17 PM

It's ok I fixed it! I think I grabbed the 2.19 drivers for the vista version and it worked.

You should hit Windows Update to see if there's anything more recent, but Realtek stuff is supported pretty well in my experience.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

Hit my first glitch with Win 7.  I've been unable to get City of Heroes to run in any way, shape or form.  That's the only glitch I have found so far.  I'm going to try and re-install CoH and see if that fixes it.  (Note that I did an upgrade, and not a fresh install.)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on May 07, 2009, 01:18:59 AM

Got the virtual XP thing working on my 64-bit box. Cisco installed fine on the XP virtual machine, connected to work fine, but I couldn't hit anything on the inside of my work network. I'll keep poking around.

Any update on this? I was pleasantly surprised that VPN Client installed and worked without issue on 32 bit W7, since from googling it looks like people had to jump through hoops at one point to get it to work. For the foreseeable future, the 64 bit version Cisco makes won't work or be available from my company. It'd be nice to know that my next pc would still be able to connect to work somehow.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on May 09, 2009, 03:12:35 PM

Hit my first glitch with Win 7.  I've been unable to get City of Heroes to run in any way, shape or form.  That's the only glitch I have found so far.  I'm going to try and re-install CoH and see if that fixes it.  (Note that I did an upgrade, and not a fresh install.)

I wouldn't call that a glitch with Win 7, as it's most likely some kind of assumption City of Heroes makes in its code for Vista that no longer applies to Win 7. The devs will probably fix it soon enough.

In related news, LOTRO runs perfectly on Win 7 x64. I can't say the same about Vista x86, where it would crash all the time.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 09, 2009, 03:55:59 PM

Quote from: hentzau on May 09, 2009, 03:12:35 PM

I wouldn't call that a glitch with Win 7, as it's most likely some kind of assumption City of Heroes makes in its code for Vista that no longer applies to Win 7. The devs will probably fix it soon enough.

In related news, LOTRO runs perfectly on Win 7 x64. I can't say the same about Vista x86, where it would crash all the time.

Checking around it seems that most everyone else is fine with x64 Win 7, so I'm thinking it just may need a fresh install, or it'll be an issue with my vid driver.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »

Well, that's annoying.  I just went to use the Vista disk managements utility to shrink my C: partition down, but the maximum it would let me shrink was just under 6GB.  Some poking around makes it sound like Vista's got some system files in the way that it won't allow to be moved.  Further, it looks like the only way to get around that is to either use one of the partition programs (pay only?), or a long string of mucking about. 

Frankly, I just don't have the patience for this kind of crap anymore.  Since Vista isn't really causing me any problems, I don't feel the need to spend half my day mucking around just so I can play with a new OS.  I'll probably just wait until the final release comes out and install on top of Vista.  Why can't anything computer related just be simple?

Edit: I just realized (and probably should have earlier) that I won't be able to install 64 bit Win7 over Vista32 even when it releases.  Which means I'll probably just wait until I get a new PC anyway.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:12:34 PM by Chaz » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2009, 07:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 08, 2009, 04:52:40 PM

Unfortunately, they're separate but equal.  Most games, in Windows, create a bunch of crap on the system that's unique to the particular OS install - for example, they'll store content in the registry about install paths, screen resolution, etc.  So, while you could boot into your secondary OS, navigate to the folder in which you'd installed the game previously in the primary OS, and run the game, I'm not going to guarantee it'll work flawlessly.  It depends on how the developer implemented it.

this i find is completely stupid. WoW can run off a usb stick if you want. Why do we need all these bullshit registry stuff. Just let me actually install the game.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »

Give your feedback to app developers, not me.  They have a choice - squirrel stuff away in the registry (which has advantages, certainly) but be non-portable, or throw junk into their own config files.  Given that no one optimizes for the dual boot case as it's uncommon, they go for the path of least resistance.

Quote from: Chaz on May 09, 2009, 06:02:52 PM

Edit: I just realized (and probably should have earlier) that I won't be able to install 64 bit Win7 over Vista32 even when it releases.

Correct:  you can't upgrade in-place from one arch to another.  You could do a side-by-side install (to another partition) and use USMT, or whatever the Win 7 equivalent is, to suck in all of your data and personal settings.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »

Of course, after I got myself all annoyed, I did one more search and found a free utility that let me partition out a chunk of the C: drive.  Two hours later, and I'm sitting here in Win7.  Was kind of surprised that Chrome didn't work out of the box, but an edit to the shortcut got it working again.  Now I just need to figure out if I can get Steam to use the files on the other partition.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »

Did you use the EAEASUS (or something like that) partition manager?  I stumbled upon that and it worked fantastically.  I would recommend it to anyone who wants to shink and partition their hard drive.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »

Yup, that's what I used.  Worked like a charm.

In other news, I was able to install Steam, and point it at the install folder on the Vista drive, and have all the games be ready to go under Win7.  Going to try with a few others.  The only thing I really had to muck with was downloading the newest Nvidia drivers, plus Adaware and AVG.  Pretty smooth setup so far.

Also, I want to apologize for any bitching and/or moaning I've done in this thread, and to Brendan, who's been very patient.  Computer crap, as I mentioned, tends to get me very annoyed quickly these days.  Everything seems to have worked out okay, so yay!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:46:48 PM by Chaz » Logged

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »

Still working on getting CoH to work in Win 7.  Updated to the latest catalyst drivers for my vid card (ATI Mobility Radeon 4650) and the game would launch, but I had strobing video.  So I wiped out my CoH directory and did a fresh download of the game.  Same issue.  Rolled back the drivers to the default that installed with Win 7, and it would launch again, but still with the strobing video.

So, looks like I may be doing a re-install of Vista.  Shame, I really liked what I saw of the OS, but I want to play CoH.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »

Weird - I thought I read on the forums that CoX works just fine on W7. I'd go post over there and see if the techs (more accurately, the player base) has any suggestions for you.

Keep in mind that CoX is kinda spotty in Vista as it is - either it'll work great, or it'll crash for no apparent reason anywhere between 5 minutes or 4 hours in. I'm personally in the latter (although I'll usually blow up after an hour or two).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 11, 2009, 12:36:48 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 10, 2009, 06:04:50 PM

Weird - I thought I read on the forums that CoX works just fine on W7. I'd go post over there and see if the techs (more accurately, the player base) has any suggestions for you.

Keep in mind that CoX is kinda spotty in Vista as it is - either it'll work great, or it'll crash for no apparent reason anywhere between 5 minutes or 4 hours in. I'm personally in the latter (although I'll usually blow up after an hour or two).

I've never had problem 1 with Vista and CoH.  Ran like a charm from the moment I loaded it up.  So that's why this has me all confused and semi-frustrated.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

Ok a couple of gaming gripes with my new W7 installation... The only game I have installed is Thief Deady Shadows. Hardly a cutting edge game but it did require XP, so it's not like it was designed for Windows 95 or anything. First off, I can't enable hardware acceleration or EAX for sound in the game. Also, a couple times when starting Thief 3, I have seen lots of video artifacts on the screen (occasionally accompanied by odd behavior) almost as if my video card was overheating. I have not overclocked my card and never seen any behavior like this prior to installing W7 last week. I've been able to get by this problem by rebooting Windows.

I think tonight I will try installing Creative's/Nvidia's latest Vista drivers in an attempt to fix this. If these don't work, it may be time to say goodbye to Windows 7.

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2009, 06:08:16 AM »

Well, the EAX layer for sound doesn't work period in Vista due to how Microsoft changed how sound can be called in the OS. Creative worked around that more or less, but I'm not surprised it totally borked up compatibility with XP titles in the process.

Additionally, graphic cards have changed quite a bit since 5 years ago since the game came out. While it should still work graphically (it did require 2K or XP to run after all), glitches can be expected. But once again, it should still work (unless it's on the list in Vista of titles that absolutely will not run in it, like say Freedom Force).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »

Vista won't run Freedom Force? Oh no, that's one I always meant to get back to!  I wonder if the virtual XP mode in 7 would run it.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 12, 2009, 11:52:27 AM

Vista won't run Freedom Force? Oh no, that's one I always meant to get back to!  I wonder if the virtual XP mode in 7 would run it.

Probably not. The Virtual XP mode isn't meant for games.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 12, 2009, 12:45:14 PM

Yup - no/very limited Direct X support for graphics to say the very least. It's basically there for businesses that are running EXTREMELY old software and never got around to making said software run in Vista.

And yeah - I fired up Freedom Force and upon installing I got a notice from Microsoft saying that this game wouldn't run at all. I installed it anyway, and wouldn't you know it - it was right. Thankfully I have a Netbook with XP on it.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 12, 2009, 06:08:16 AM

Well, the EAX layer for sound doesn't work period in Vista due to how Microsoft changed how sound can be called in the OS. Creative worked around that more or less, but I'm not surprised it totally borked up compatibility with XP titles in the process.

Additionally, graphic cards have changed quite a bit since 5 years ago since the game came out. While it should still work graphically (it did require 2K or XP to run after all), glitches can be expected. But once again, it should still work (unless it's on the list in Vista of titles that absolutely will not run in it, like say Freedom Force).

Thanks for the info. I will have to live with no EAX sound for now. I realized last night that the video glitches always seemed to happen after Windows put my monitors to sleep, so I turned off the power saving and will wait and see if the glitches come back. My enthusiasm for running Windows 7 on my 3 year old pc has diminished somewhat, but I am hanging in there for now.

-John

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2009, 04:56:10 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 12, 2009, 03:09:16 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 12, 2009, 06:08:16 AM

Thanks for the info. I will have to live with no EAX sound for now. I realized last night that the video glitches always seemed to happen after Windows put my monitors to sleep, so I turned off the power saving and will wait and see if the glitches come back. My enthusiasm for running Windows 7 on my 3 year old pc has diminished somewhat, but I am hanging in there for now.

Get the Alchemy program from Creative's site for your OS, I can't remember if they had a W7 beta of this or not but I have it (possibly vista version) installed and running on my W7 machine.  Alchemy restores EAX to a lot of old legacy games.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 12, 2009, 01:50:18 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 12, 2009, 12:45:14 PM

Yup - no/very limited Direct X support for graphics to say the very least. It's basically there for businesses that are running EXTREMELY old software and never got around to making said software run in Vista.

And yeah - I fired up Freedom Force and upon installing I got a notice from Microsoft saying that this game wouldn't run at all. I installed it anyway, and wouldn't you know it - it was right. Thankfully I have a Netbook with XP on it.

I'm assuming you've tried the normal things, running it as an admin/putting it into XP compatibility mode and all that?

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 12, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Quote from: Rich on May 12, 2009, 04:56:10 PM

Get the Alchemy program from Creative's site for your OS, I can't remember if they had a W7 beta of this or not but I have it (possibly vista version) installed and running on my W7 machine.  Alchemy restores EAX to a lot of old legacy games.d

I got Alchemy for Vista (I didn't see a W7 version) and installed it. I ran it and added Thief 3 as an "Alchemy supported game", but it's not working. Any time I turn on hardware acceleration the sound goes away and the EAX choices are grayed out. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-John

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

anyone running dual monitors? I just tried and 7 is freaking the fuck out about it. It has hard locked my computer every time. I have the latest cat drivers too. Not sure what's going on here.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »

Don't know what to tell you, my dual monitor setup is running just fine.  It wouldn't recognize the second monitor until I installed the newest Nvidia drivers, but since then no problems. 

The only crash I've had since installing was when I tried to run a RAM type detector program from Crucial.  Bluescreened immediately.  Suffice to say I didn't try that again.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 13, 2009, 08:28:44 AM

anyone running dual monitors? I just tried and 7 is freaking the fuck out about it. It has hard locked my computer every time. I have the latest cat drivers too. Not sure what's going on here.

Probably a stupid question but did you get the latest Cat drivers for W7 or the latest for Vista?  It seems obvious but I know some people have tried the Vista drivers.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 13, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »

I've been pooched by vista drivers so I'd be leary of trying them on any serious hardware. Sound card? Go for it. Video? Eh no. Last time it happened was my sata controller that _only_ my dvdrw was plugged into (hard drives are on an adaptec card) and windows would never boot again.

I've had no issued with dual/triple/quad monitors with either nvidia or ati cards. Did you try another pcie slot?
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 13, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »

Vista won't run Freedom Force? Oh no, that's one I always meant to get back to!

Supposedly it will if you install patch 1.3.  Haven't tried it myself though.

(HBZ)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »

Quote from: ericb on May 13, 2009, 12:08:49 PM

Probably a stupid question but did you get the latest Cat drivers for W7 or the latest for Vista?  It seems obvious but I know some people have tried the Vista drivers.

windows 7. there's WHQL drivers out for it. No need to use vista's
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:46 PM »

I am also running dual monitors with no issue.

-John

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »

Is anyone else having trouble with the computer waking up from sleep mode?  I'm all for saving the power, but within the first week of using Win7, I've had the following happen when coming out of sleep:

-keyboard not working (unplug/replug)
-mouse not working (same)
-twice Windows claiming I had no speakers attached (had to restart to get sound)
-simply wouldn't wake up (had to use the kill switch)

I'd like to use the feature, but not if waking it up is going to cause frequent problems.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

Yeah, in fact I just now finally got my computer started up again after a sleep mode problem.  It would get stuck on a blank screen, the mouse wouldn't turn on, the monitor would stay off.  I'm just going to to turn off sleep mode entirely for now.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 16, 2009, 03:58:05 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with the computer waking up from sleep mode? 

I have always had problems with sleep modes with various pcs dating back to windows 95. I just don't use it. I also was having graphical glitches with Thief Deadly Shadows and Windows 7 until I prevented it from shutting down my monitors for me. Since I disabled that I haven't had to glitches. Turning off my own monitors really isn't much of a hardship.

-John

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: