http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:05:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win a copy of my zombie novel!  (Read 3059 times)
Crusis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »

Hey all - I'm the author of the Zombie-Wilson diaries that some have enjoyed. Many thanks to all of you that stopped by the site. I was asked to post when my book came out, sorry if this reads like spam. I kinda feel like a proud Papa.

To celebrate the release of my first novel, http://bit.ly/TKk1I Among the Living, I am giving away a couple of signed copies. Swing by my new site for details.

Go to http://www.amongthelivingbook.com/

The contest is pretty simple. Complete the sentence "If it's undead ..." and send the answer to me along with your name. Full details are on the site.

-Crusis
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:42:00 PM by Crusis » Logged

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »

Hey you're like the Richard Castle of GT smile Congrats. ill definately try to win one. I enjoyed the stuff I read online. Id like to see how it all started and ends.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »

I hope folks enjoy it!

My favorite parts of post apocalyptic stories are always the beginning. The 'how did this happen', kinda like the early parts of superhero movies. I read a lot of zombie books and most of them take place right at the outbreak or after. It's usually about survivors and I LOVE those books. Wayne Simmons, Eric S. Brown, Dave Dunwoody, J. L. Bourne and of course Max Brooks. These guys have all been inspirations.

Anyway I wrote a book all about the people on the ground, the men and women trying to make it through two days when their entire world is turned upside down. Just everyday people with everyday problems. What sets it apart (I think) is the oddball characters.

I also experimented with 2nd person POV. Before you groan it is a very small part of the book and it starts a little something like this:

The splash of burgundy is shocking against the carpet, red on tan like a tie dyed t-shirt gone wrong. You try to roll over but the pain makes you pay for the effort. Your hand is pressed to your neck so that you can still feel spreading warmth against your palm. It flows in a pulsing rush and if you had a throat you would probably scream.

How long until you pass on? How long until the blood stops pumping through your heart? It's going to sputter to a halt soon. Sure you've had murmurs before but this is going to be the grand-daddy of them all, the last shuddering pulse of the most complicated muscle in your body running on E.

-Crusis

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »

Any chance of Kindle edition? 
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:32:07 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on July 30, 2009, 01:28:10 AM

YES!  icon_biggrin Should be out in a couple of weeks. I have a kindle and I just love that thing so I asked for it to be part of my contract.

-Tim

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »

Congrats, proud papa!  nod

I'll be trying for one of those prizes also, though I have never won a contest based on talent or ability. Not that luck works much better for me, lmao - but I'll still try! 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »

too cool.  did you get it released into old B & M's?  i'd love to hunt down a copy if it's out locally. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 30, 2009, 01:32:07 AM

YES!  icon_biggrin Should be out in a couple of weeks. I have a kindle and I just love that thing so I asked for it to be part of my contract.

-Tim

Whee, I was gonna ask that.  Will definitely pick it up when it's available in Kindle format.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »

Signed up, you will pick mine.   I just know it!

morlac00 on PSN
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »

Had some AWESOME replies, here are a few:

If its undead....do NOT take it to bed!
If its undead, fill it with lead!
If it's undead, I hope it's been fed!
If it's undead, don't hang around to settle the slow versus fast debate. (best one so far - LOL!!)
It it's undead, ask it if it is politically correct to call it a zombie or a living impaired person.

A LOT of these have come from GT, thanks a lot for everyone that sent in a entry AND for checking out the website. You all are great.  thumbsup

-Tim

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:25:10 AM »

Quote from: Caine on July 30, 2009, 07:16:02 PM

too cool.  did you get it released into old B & M's?  i'd love to hunt down a copy if it's out locally. 

Not yet but we are working on it. Permuted Press started out this way and they now have a pretty sizable selection of books in Borders. In fact they just signed a deal to bring 7 zombie novels to Pocketooks. WOW! My publisher literally works out of his basement and is the most driven man I have ever met.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 02:59:53 AM »

Sent like 10 lines, but I also ordered the book from Amazon....
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »

WOW, thanks man! You are my new hero.

-Crusis

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 31, 2009, 01:21:36 AM

If it's undead, don't hang around to settle the slow versus fast debate.

icon_twisted

It killed me that it didn't rhyme.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 31, 2009, 01:16:25 PM

Quote from: Crusis on July 31, 2009, 01:21:36 AM

If it's undead, don't hang around to settle the slow versus fast debate.

icon_twisted

It killed me that it didn't rhyme.

Lol, me too!  Though it IS funny, where is the style? (This from someone who has yet to get a brilliant idea to send as an entry! retard )

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »

I'll have to come up with an entry - I'd like a signed copy for my "GT Collection"
smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »

LOL... Herb and Ruth - perfect!   icon_biggrin

Quick question - if I put in my selection now, but think of another one, is more than one entry allowed?  Probably that's a hypothetical question, since it took me all day to think of one, but just in case...   retard

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »

Tim, just sent mine in. They're coming from [email protected]. I'll also buy it from Amazon when I get my first paycheck from my new job.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »

Crap, I PMed them to you instead of emailing them. Is that Ok? I didn't keep a copy of the PM so that I could email you them.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 30, 2009, 01:32:07 AM

-Tim

Awesome.  I'll be picking it up when it comes out.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »

I just sent my "If it's undead..." reply and then went and checked some of the online bookstores I use. I noticed that both amazon.ca and chapters.ca don't have it listed; is it not going be distributed in Canada? I know other books in the 'A Zombie Novel' series are available on those sites and local Chapters stores.

I'm now crossing my fingers that my name gets drawn on the 14th. slywink
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »

Well it's not really a scientific way to do it but I was going to print each name, put them in a bowl and have my daughter draw them so I will only print one name per person. But feel free to add more. I am planning to put the best up on my site with credits to the ones that sent them in.

-Crusis

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 03:31:38 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 31, 2009, 11:14:05 PM

I just sent my "If it's undead..." reply and then went and checked some of the online bookstores I use. I noticed that both amazon.ca and chapters.ca don't have it listed; is it not going be distributed in Canada? I know other books in the 'A Zombie Novel' series are available on those sites and local Chapters stores.

I'm now crossing my fingers that my name gets drawn on the 14th. slywink

I'll check with my publisher. The book has only been out for a few days so that may have something to do with it.

I am expecting a box of books so maybe I can send it to you if you send the cash to my paypal or something like that. I will be happy to cover shipping. Shoot me a PM if you like.

Actually I'll do that for anyone if you are having trouble. Hell, if you want to read my book I'll do whatever I can to get it in your hand.  icon_biggrin

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 05:23:20 AM »

I'll definitely pick up a copy once I start working again.  Bad combination of too much free time and not enough money to buy books happening with being unemployed.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on August 01, 2009, 03:31:38 AM

Actually I'll do that for anyone if you are having trouble. Hell, if you want to read my book I'll do whatever I can to get it in your hand.  icon_biggrin

I am canceling my Amazon order. Please deliver my copy by hand in a Zombie costume... Thank you... oh, and it has to be a slow zombie costume, not one of those crappy fast ones... (BTW: are your zombies fast or slow?)
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »

Hmm, might be kind of a spoiler. Lets just say they sort of evolve.

BTW the word zombie only appears 2 or 3 times in the book. paranoid

-Crusis

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

i'd actually be happier buying it from you directly.  you get the money up front and get a larger share of the gain.  are you still in the city you so carefully destroy, or did you get uprooted to somewhere safer? 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »

I'll be all over that Kindle edition when it launches.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »

I'm checking on the kindle version today. I think it will be priced around 5 or 6 bucks.

I love the kindle version, I get 50% in royalties from sales.

-Crusis

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 01, 2009, 05:13:42 PM

i'd actually be happier buying it from you directly.  you get the money up front and get a larger share of the gain.  are you still in the city you so carefully destroy, or did you get uprooted to somewhere safer? 

I work in Seattle but live out by Sumner. Once my author copies arrive and I figure out how many I have left I'll see if I can part with a few. If no I think I can order them at cost.

I'm still new to all this stuff ...

-Crusis

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »

I'm all for zombie books, so I'll probably grab it for my new Kindle when it finally goes up.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 01:42:05 AM »

The book will be on Kindle in 2 weeks for $5.99.

Thanks for everyone's interest in the book. I really appreciate it and it makes me want to make my next book that much better (assuming my first one doesn't suck!). My follow up is about a quarter done and it is a horror/urban fantasy.

-Crusis
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:46:55 AM by Crusis » Logged

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 01, 2009, 04:02:33 PM

Quote from: Crusis on August 01, 2009, 03:31:38 AM

I am canceling my Amazon order. Please deliver my copy by hand in a Zombie costume... Thank you... oh, and it has to be a slow zombie costume, not one of those crappy fast ones... (BTW: are your zombies fast or slow?)

Lol, Punisher!  I'd like that hand-delivered copy as well, though it can be by "slow" or "fast" Zombie... I'm not too picky when it comes to the undead, don'tcha know.  Roll Eyes

Crusis - I have a "lot on my plate" right now, medically (both personal, and family-wise), so I may forget I ever said this, or there may be a delay in communications, but I really want to support you by buying the book - and in a way that will benefit you more than the producers, or whomever ... so please, just let me know how to do it!  Right now, direct links to payment options are best for me (PayPall, or w/e), but whatever works for you is fine, too. 

Tnx!   icon_razz

PS -  no rush on answering this, or me... just wanted you to know that you can count me IN!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »

So just how well is it doing selling wise? Smack me if Im too nosy smile I find the whole writing a book being publish thing very interesting Always wanted to have a book published. Watching Castle on tv doesn't help

smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

tell em you have a large 'extended family', and i'll help you mail them out.  i live down the hill from you crusis, so if an undead plague ever hit the region, it's a fair chance that we'd see each other (at least over the sea of dead eyes and blood-stained corpses)

if i could get the damn iphone to sync up to kindle, i'd plan on buying it that way.  i would love to put it on the shelf next the other zombie fiction i have though. 

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 04, 2009, 02:57:36 PM

So just how well is it doing selling wise? Smack me if Im too nosy smile I find the whole writing a book being publish thing very interesting Always wanted to have a book published. Watching Castle on tv doesn't help

smile

That is a good question. I asked on Saturday how it was doing and he said it has sold as much in a week as the first book he released last year sold in the first two months. He is very adamant that I don't even worry about sales for the first few months. Once some reviews are on amazon sales will pick up. Right now, shoppers go to the page and besides the truncated description there are no reviews.

Also, my publisher is barely a blip on the radar as far as the names go. Quite frankly I am just a few steps above self-published but it is all good. He has ads coming out for the books in a few magazines and websites. It will also be at Horror realm this year where he is going to be pushing the whole library.

Thank goodness all I have to do is write and not worry about the publishing side. Oh the other thing that will help is that I have short stories sold now to a good 8 or 9 anthologies which will be released in the next year. So if people like my short work then they may like a book.

Any budding horror writers out there want to test the waters, swing by the LOTLD forum http://libraryofthelivingdead.lefora.com/and check out all the anthologies that are open. The publisher will accept stuff from unknowns (like me) and if it is good and requires only a little bit of editing, he will publish that stuff.

In fact, if anyone wants to send in a story or talk about a potential one please feel free to PM me.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 02:53:58 AM »

I now have my copies of my book and have placed them up for sale on my website via paypal. The cost is a flat $15 and $2 for shipping. This is for US shipping but if you are outside the US just drop me an email and we can work something out. If you purchase from me the book will be signed (and personalized if you like).

http://www.amongthelivingbook.com

You can now do the "look inside" feature on Amazon http://bit.ly/TKk1I if you want to get a look at the layout, fonts and stuff like that. Thanks again for everyone's interest!

-Crusis

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on August 02, 2009, 09:28:25 PM

I'm checking on the kindle version today. I think it will be priced around 5 or 6 bucks.

I love the kindle version, I get 50% in royalties from sales.

-Crusis

Then I will pick up this version

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »

I have finished Day 0 and will soon start Day 1.
Overall I am enjoying it, however, I do think that it needs a second edit. There are several typo's and grammatical errors...Not ton's, but enough to definately notice.
I don't have the book here, but and example would be something like "Billy was looking at hose TV's when the zombie came through the door." hose should have been those....
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Kate character seems the most interesting so far and is different from what I have read before.
Grinder is also interesting because I can't quite think of anywhere I saw that type of character in this type of book.....
Lester seems almost too cookie cutter and I predict he will have some sort of redemeption at some point, but hopefully I'm wrong.
I am currently on the fence with Mike.....

My only "complaint" is that Day 0 seems too cluttered and there seems to be way to much going on in one day.... This may be because it jumps around from character to character, but it did seem like more than was possible was happeneing in one day...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 13, 2009, 06:31:16 PM

I have finished Day 0 and will soon start Day 1.
Overall I am enjoying it, however, I do think that it needs a second edit. There are several typo's and grammatical errors...Not ton's, but enough to definately notice.
I don't have the book here, but and example would be something like "Billy was looking at hose TV's when the zombie came through the door." hose should have been those....

My only "complaint" is that Day 0 seems too cluttered and there seems to be way to much going on in one day.... This may be because it jumps around from character to character, but it did seem like more than was possible was happeneing in one day...

I'll apologize before I hit Post on this, but, erm... I couldn't help myself.  Sorry, sorry, sorry!   icon_wink 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: