http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 05:33:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you buy an iPad Mini Retina?  (Read 247 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »

A question for those who have held off buying an iPad Mini of course. I'm sure those who have already dived in will no doubt do so again. I have a sinking feeling that I will and while I wouldn't call myself an Android fanboy I am an Apple hater. I used to have a 3GS but I chafed under the iOS ecosystem's strict control. I switched to a Galaxy Note and haven't looked back and I don't think I ever will.
The iPhone in my mind has almost nothing that Android can't to just as well in my opinion. It does lack in the games department but I don't really play games on my phone so that doesn't concern me. However when it comes to tablets I do feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick when it comes to ecosystems (especially games!). I'm also really liking the iPad Mini's aspect ratio. I don't mind 16:10 when it comes to the big tablets but on the Nexus 7 that I tried it really felt overly narrow and like I was holding a really big phone. And of course there's the games (mainly boardgames that never get ported over) that I'd really love to play on a tablet. Also living in Japan I find that I'm forced to use the Japanese Android market which means sometimes I can't get apps onto my device (like no Flickr app). With iOS it's tied to your credit card which means even if I buy the tablet in Japan my Canadian iOS account allows me to get the same apps that everyone else is getting. We'll see what the future holds. If the Mini Retina comes out for the same price as it is now (or lower hopefully!) then I can see myself picking it up. If it comes with a price boost (and still only 16GB) then I can see myself sitting out yet another generation. I really hope that Android and Nexus do well enough to keep the pressure on Apple to try to stay competitive. It really looks like the iPad is going to be the best option for myself in the future and I hate myself for even thinking that!
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »

Slightly different viewpoint. I will buy one if they maintain the same size (thinness) and weight. I don't want to go back to a heavy ipad like the 3 or 4. The mini is the perfect size for reading and surfing. I have an LTE mini on AT&T and it's been worth every penny so far.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »

I can't see buying a mini no matter what they do with it. Full size iPad and iPhone are more than enough. I do keep playing with the idea of getting a smaller Kindle Fire, but I hated my Android phone, so not sure.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »

I would have said yes a couple weeks ago, but the rumors are the next full sized iPad will maintain the 9.7" screen and incorporate iPad mini features like the smaller size bezels and the thinner overall shape.  I think the current mini is a way better form factor than the regular iPad, but it's not powerful enough, nor does it have retina. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: