http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:36:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will be joining the motorcycle owners...in a few years  (Read 1453 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

Wife says as soon as we pay off the bills I can get a motorcycle! Wanted one since I was 4 years old and it was a mini bike. I almost got one as a kid but my step father had a wreck on his and almost died. So no motorcycle for me. Then as a teenager they were finally going to get me one and my step father got killed on his. So again FAIL. Now though it's looking better since I will be buying it myself. I offered to go for a used one but she pointed out how safety would be better to buy new. never know whats wrong with a used one.

Anyways I want something non fancy and that i can customize. As of now that means my heart is set on a Harley Davidson Iron 883. The flat black one. Mods would be I'd relocate the mirrors, plates,speedometer and such. I'd also buy a new breather and such. I'm dead set on a Harley though. At least for now. And the 883 is the right size ...maybe a little small...and the right plainness to it.

Opinions? Still have a couple years to think it over.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:14:24 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »

I've a cousin who owned one...... He got killed in a bad wreck in FL about 4 years ago.

Just sayin'.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »

Take the riding course to get your license before you put money in to anything. That will not only give you the experience you need for the license test but allow you to ride bikes in a "safe" environment. It'll also allow you to see if this is what you want to be doing. Beyond your bike cost you'll also want to factor in equipment as it's pretty expensive too.

This will be my third year riding and I've already had a couple close encounters. The worst of the bunch happened on highway where some idiot in the center lane hit the breaks so they could get off at an exit they passed. There were two cars in front of me and I saw them brake hard. I did the same but started feeling my bike skid. So I let off the breaks and swerved in to the left hand lane avoiding the car that was in front of me which was now almost at a stop. Thankfully no one was in the left-hand lane or it could have gotten bad. The other incidents were mainly people not paying attention but I was so no problem.

But hey its also a hell of a lot of fun the majority of the time. Last year I road my bike (a Vespa) from Chicago to Connecticut and back again. It was fun, boring, exilerating, tiring, stupid and freeing all bunched together. Looking at doing another road trip this year.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:11:39 AM »

I have no plans to highway ride or any long trips. Just around town and back country roads.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 22, 2011, 11:28:07 PM

I've a cousin who owned one...... He got killed in a bad wreck in FL about 4 years ago.

ouch, that sucks man.  sorry to hear it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »

I started reading this while sitting on my bike waiting on the ferry to go home.  I bought a Fatboy Lo, matte black, one year ago this month.  I have over 9,000 miles at 200 per week.  I've upgraded mine with the stage one conversion with Vance & Hines pipes and the screaming eagle air intake.  I've also added a rack instead of the stub seat, bags, mirrors, LED headlamp and windscreen.  You'll have no lack of customization!

The Iron is a great looking bike. (I also like the look of the wide fat tire on the 48 (I think it's the 48 with it at least).

I concur with taking the class. I also concur that there are idiots on the road; you have to assume that everybody else is an idiot out to hit you.  Be over aware and you'll do fine.

You'll love the bike!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:52:30 AM »

Ya, from what you've said so far I think the 883 is a smart choice.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:37 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 23, 2011, 12:29:11 AM

This will be my third year riding and I've already had a couple close encounters. The worst of the bunch happened on highway where some idiot in the center lane hit the breaks so they could get off at an exit they passed. There were two cars in front of me and I saw them brake hard. I did the same but started feeling my bike skid. So I let off the breaks and swerved in to the left hand lane avoiding the car that was in front of me which was now almost at a stop. Thankfully no one was in the left-hand lane or it could have gotten bad. The other incidents were mainly people not paying attention but I was so no problem.

But hey its also a hell of a lot of fun the majority of the time. Last year I road my bike (a Vespa) from Chicago to Connecticut and back again. It was fun, boring, exilerating, tiring, stupid and freeing all bunched together. Looking at doing another road trip this year.

Vespas can get up to highway speeds?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:56 AM »

Scooters have come a long way. I had a 250 a couple of years ago, and it would do almost 80mph. And there are 650cc scooters now that easily top 100

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:18 AM »

Here is a pic of the 883 as it comes from the shop....

I really like what this guy has done to his 883....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxAJF5Qtz-4

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 02:36:56 AM

Scooters have come a long way. I had a 250 a couple of years ago, and it would do almost 80mph. And there are 650cc scooters now that easily top 100

yeah, I've seen some on the highways around here.  they look kinda cool.

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 23, 2011, 02:46:18 AM

Here is a pic of the 883 as it comes from the shop....

I really like what this guy has done to his 883....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxAJF5Qtz-4

Great looking bike!  I like most of what the guy did to his in that link - the way he changed the mirrors made them worthless.  I'm generally fine with modifications that make the bike look better, however not when they make it more dangerous to ride.  You may find (I did) that the mirrors the bike comes with don't look past your shoulders, I had to switch out for long stem mirrors.

Also, I like the stage 1 air filter he has, but see if you can sit on a bike both that and the screaming eagle air filter (angles to point forward), I found the screaming eagle to be more comfortable to ride with as my knee is below it instead of having to reach my leg around it.  You can get it in black or chrome.  The water sock on the black one (below) comes with both and does a pretty fantastic job keeping rain out of it.

or

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »

That filter is definitely the one I like best. I was wondering about the rain. problem solved.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:27:33 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 02:36:56 AM

Yeah the Vespa I have is a 250 and will go 85mph before the rev limiter kicks in. I hit that a couple of times on the freeway. But that's pushing it. The bike comfort zone is really around 55mph. There's still plenty of power on hand if you need to accelerate quickly.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2011, 01:14:13 AM

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 22, 2011, 11:28:07 PM

ouch, that sucks man.  sorry to hear it.

Hey, it happens. From time to time, I've wondered what it would be like to ride a motorcycle.. but I want to live a long, happy life.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »

I don't know how many states ban talking on cell phones when driving, but people using them have introduced a new worry for motorcyclists.

Like as if we needed more.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 01:42:06 PM

I don't know how many states ban talking on cell phones when driving, but people using them have introduced a new worry for motorcyclists.

And, you, young man.. Please wear a helmet while riding your motorcycle!  icon_razz
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »

Ha...I sold my bike last fall.

I'm going to take a break from riding, for the first time in 28yrs.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »

Does paying off the bills include fixing the plumbing?
loc-nar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

My balls. Look.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »

Maybe he'll be able to afford the bike once he pays someone to haul off all of his empty cat dog* food cans.

*Edited by Eduardo for clarity

Evidently no one likes a quitter
or an old punk's bitterness
So I'm waiting for a tap on the shoulder
Because we're all getting older, not better
And the laughs are no longer with us
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »

<rant about motorcycles and generalizations removed>

Sorry for the rant but I hear it and have to overcome it every single day.

Ok that said, I would seriously consider renting the bike before you buy it.  For the last 5 years I have ridden my awesome V-Star 650 and I love it...to a point.  The kicker for me was a 1200 mile trip to Reno and back.  A 650 (or the 883 for that matter) is NOT a long distance bike.  Under 50 miles at a time, no problem at all, but going up to say a 1000 or higher will give you a huge boost in comfort.  Point in fact, I went to a '03 Electra Glide HD and the difference is amazing.  My daughter (who is 13 and loves a ride to school on it) said the back seat felt like our sofa.  Yeah it is a bit big but once you get used to it it is a sweet ride, but certainly a different kind of ride.

If you are not planning any long trips, that bike will indeed kick ass.  Oh and take the safety class.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »

The sock for the filter does a great job, however you can overwhelm it, it takes monsoon rains or massive walls of water to do it (and really sucks when the bike sputters at 70mph) Also, if you intend to do any cold weather riding, go check out Gerbings, they make heated gear (which ROCKS!).
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »

I ride a scooter as well,

Not me on that bike but mine is exactly the same and I've put 22,000 miles on it.  Top speed measured by a GPS is 77 mph. 

For those of you who might disparage my choice of steeds I present the backup bike that gets to see the light of day every once in awhile

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 23, 2011, 09:57:52 PM

Not me on that bike but mine is exactly the same and I've put 22,000 miles on it.  Top speed measured by a GPS is 77 mph. 

For those of you who might disparage my choice of steeds I present the backup bike that gets to see the light of day every once in awhile

Anybody who disparages one of those needs to do more research!  The gimbal mechanism for the two front tires is a stroke of genius. There  are a few I've seen on the boat, the added stability let's them ride with the diehards in truly nasty weather.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 01:47:01 AM »

'Death From Drowning Happens Once In A Lifetime'.  icon_lol

Sorry, my dark sense of humor reacting there.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:11 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 24, 2011, 01:47:01 AM

'Death From Drowning Happens Once In A Lifetime'.  icon_lol

Sorry, my dark sense of humor reacting there.

It's no mistake that I took the photo where I did, that is on the north side of Morro Rock in Morro Bay Ca.  I used to jump in the water just beyond that sign and ride the power plant discharge flow out to the waves for surfing.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:05 AM »

Here in Jakarta, some bikers talk on cell phones while riding and not the handfree one, they also can text and ride. But I guess lives are cheaper in third world countries.
Lyno
Gaming Trend Reader

Vroom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 11:15:27 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on March 24, 2011, 05:31:05 AM

Here in Jakarta, some bikers talk on cell phones while riding and not the handfree one, they also can text and ride. But I guess lives are cheaper in third world countries.

How fast are these guys going? I typically do 80-85 mph on my bike. The wind would rip the phone from my hand at that speed.

-Lyno
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »

I've actually tried it on my scooter one time. It didn't work too well due to wind noise, bumpy roads, and hard-to-see screen.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »

Maybe I should start out on a scooter. Not sure that would help me learn to switch to a big bike. Maybe something like a 500cc Piaggio X9 500cc Evolution

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 23, 2011, 09:57:52 PM

that's pretty cool looking.  the two wheels up front threw me at first, I wasn't sure I was seeing it right.  it still looks odd even now that I know it's got 3 wheels.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:13:18 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 24, 2011, 10:10:37 PM

Maybe I should start out on a scooter. Not sure that would help me learn to switch to a big bike. Maybe something like a 500cc Piaggio X9 500cc Evolution

That's a pretty big swing, to go from a Harley to a scooter  icon_razz

Honestly, you should probably stick with the Harley. Chances are you'll still want it even after getting the scooter... because having a motorcycle is born out of passion, not sensibility.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 24, 2011, 10:10:37 PM

Not a lot of benefit.  The Harley you want isn't exactly some high revving hard to ride superbike.  It's pretty mellow.  You'll get into the same amount of trouble with each.

That being said, no one's first bike should be a new bike.  You're going to lay the motherfucker down at some point early on... it's easier to swallow damage on a used learner bike than it is your shiny new toy.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »

Ninja 250? Perhaps Im too old for it. My beard is gray.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 24, 2011, 10:27:22 PM

because having a motorcycle is born out of passion, not sensibility.

that brought a tear to my eye Tongue

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 01:16:01 AM »

Quote from: Lyno on March 24, 2011, 11:15:27 AM

How fast are these guys going? I typically do 80-85 mph on my bike. The wind would rip the phone from my hand at that speed.

-Lyno

They ride slower when using phone, but it is still dangerous to themselves and others around them. Bikers in Jakarta ride much slower than US bikers but they tend to not follow traffic rules, they don't stay in lane, they don't signal before cut in front of you, etc. If there is a space, they'll try to fit their bike in. That is one reason why we have serious traffic jam in Jakarta, cars have to move  slower to anticipate bikers.

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 02:16:01 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on March 25, 2011, 01:16:01 AM

Quote from: Lyno on March 24, 2011, 11:15:27 AM

-Lyno

They ride slower when using phone, but it is still dangerous to themselves and others around them. Bikers in Jakarta ride much slower than US bikers but they tend to not follow traffic rules, they don't stay in lane, they don't signal before cut in front of you, etc. If there is a space, they'll try to fit their bike in. That is one reason why we have serious traffic jam in Jakarta, cars have to move  slower to anticipate bikers.

Not to mention the bikes way outnumber the cars on the road. I read a report that every month, in Jakarta alone, 700k new bikes are sold, but considering $50 - 100 down will get you one to take home on the spot, that number doesn't surprise me. Plus the bikers here ride like they own the road, they have no courtesy and no fear, since in most cases of accidents, the driver/owner of the bigger vehicle is "always at fault" regardless of the traffic laws. If it is clearly the motorcycle's fault, most of the times they will flee the scene of the accident and get away.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 24, 2011, 11:48:04 PM

Might want to look at the Yamaha V-Star or Honda Rebel for 250 cruisers. The class I took used both of those bikes for teaching with. If I didn't have my heart on a getting a scooter I would have got the V-Star as my first bike. 
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »

I had a Ninja 250

Fun little bike, but I would imagine as a first bike it'll leave you wanting more rather quickly.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Lyno
Gaming Trend Reader

Vroom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 25, 2011, 04:32:57 AM

I had a Ninja 250

Fun little bike, but I would imagine as a first bike it'll leave you wanting more rather quickly.

Good thing they're cheap and hold their value pretty well. You can sell it for close to what you paid for it to the next new biker that needs a starter bike.

-Lyno
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: