http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:26:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard for them to honor our rebate requests?  (Read 1670 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:10:01 AM »

Seems like everytime I buy hardware that comes with a mail-in rebate, I never get it.
I last bought an external Acom Data hard drive (160gb usb) and mailed in the rebate (something like $30) month after month, no sign of it.  Finally after about a half year of waiting I emailed Acom Data. They "lost track" of it and their server crashed so they needed my information again.
They sent it out a week later and I finally got it. Never would have got it if I kept waiting.

Now I bought a jump drive 1GB usb thing (whatever it's called) that was $59.99 originally plus the $20 rebate. Mailed it in about 3 months ago. Shame on me since I sent them the original reciept and didn't make a copy of it first.
To this day I'm still waiting and am probably going to have to look them up on the internet.

Just venting I guess but I know that the next time I buy hardware that looks good on paper ($50 after a $30 mail in rebate for X) I'll think twice before buying it.

Anyone else have similiar problems, or still waiting on their rebate like I am?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 02:34:44 AM »

I have a success rate of about 90% when I've taken the chance......but I just don't take that chance very often.

The item has to be at a good price already before any rebates, then i'll buy.

Of course you know these places are 'banking' on people forgetting about them, or giving up trying to get it, right?

It's a sleazy ploy, and I do have a list of companies that i'll never buy anything from them again because of this.....like Verbatim.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 03:47:00 AM »

Best Buy screwed me over twice on mail in rebates, now I don't trust them at all for that, among other reasons.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 04:20:44 AM »

I never buy anything for the mail in rebate. I stick to instants or nothing.

Forgot to ad that if I do buy something that happens to have a mail in rebate I dont mail it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 04:24:57 AM »

I pretty much expect never to see a rebate.  When a rebate comes I often have no idea what it was for!  I got  rebate once for something I had bought over two years ago!

They are slow because they don't care.  They have your money!  What is the incentive to rush?  They are actually giving up profit to give you some money.   Every day they keep your money is a little more interest in the bank.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 05:24:49 AM »

Rebates are a scam, and that industry/practice should be investigated by the FTC, in my opinion. My lifetime success rate is at about 50%, if that.

And how asinine is it for you to buy a product from Dell, and have to send off for the rebate ... to Dell!?  If they can afford to give you the hundred dollars, they can do it at the time of purchase.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 05:31:43 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Rebates are a scam, and that industry/practice should be investigated by the FTC, in my opinion. My lifetime success rate is at about 50%, if that.

And how asinine is it for you to buy a product from Dell, and have to send off for the rebate ... to Dell!?  If they can afford to give you the hundred dollars, they can do it at the time of purchase.

They did get investigated a while back and there were a few reactionary measures taken by some states and the feds as well as some chains.  That's why you see these companies running all the tracking websites.  The rebate industry has improved a great deal and is a lot less scam-filled than it once was.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM »

I got screwed by a Best Buy rebate a couple of years ago for 60 bucks.. That still pisses me off.

Has anyone tried the new "easy" Staples rebates? It looks like nothing needs to be mailed - just type in the UPC code online and a few other things. I hope more stores convert to this type of rebate plan, though I doubt they will since they plan on people not getting in the correct forms.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 02:39:24 PM »

Reminds me when I had a summer job in an insurance department.  A rule was never to work on a claim until someone called twice.  If they only called once and we never heard from them again then problem solved.   Ah, a wonderful lesson in ethics.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 03:26:41 PM »

Granted I don't do rebates all that often, but as far as I can recall I've always gotten them.

Past year, one for TiVo and one for a USB external drive; both successful.

Am I doing something wrong to have a success rate?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »

I have probably sent in a half dozen carefully filled-out rebate forms over the last couple of years.

Number of rebates I have received:   ZERO  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 03:44:07 PM »

I've had more successes than failures with rebates, but if it's not a good deal without the rebate I don't buy the product anyway.

I always include a mailing address sticker (from charities and such) when I fill out the rebate form so they can't claim they couldn't read the address smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 04:25:20 PM »

I generally have had good success with rebates... there have been a couple that haven't ever arrived, but by and large I usually get my check.  Though I rarely buy anything rebateable if the refund is under $50.... it's just not worth the hassle.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 04:45:26 PM »

I rarely have a problem, though I sent in one early last year that I don't think I ever received back.  I keep meaning to check back on it to see if I can get them to come through.

I always keep a copy of all of the stuff I send.  When I built my PC about a year and a half ago, I had so many rebates that I started keeping track of when I sent what in a little Excel spreadsheet.  I ended up with over $100 back on rebates for the hard drives, monitor, soundcard, speakers, etc.

In fact, I just sent one off last weekend for my iRiver mp3 player.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »

I've never NOT recieved a rebate.

And even though the Dell rebates are ANNOYING as hell, I've at least gotten them promptly.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 10:30:48 PM »

Rebates simply suck.

I've gotten most rebates but my new rule is no rebates. Unless the price is fantastic a MIR is just extra.

How does this work again?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 11:12:18 PM »

I've had good luck with rebates.  One I didn't get was for a 9600 pro at compusa.  Now that I think about it, I think Compusa falsely advertised the card as being eligible for the rebate.

I just sent in $60 in rebates from Best Buy, so I hope that it works.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 03:31:23 AM »

i've always had good luck with rebates as well (most from BestBuy)...always gotten everything i was owed without any effort beyond the initial mailing.  maybe i've just been lucky that way...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »

I had a Microsoft rebate for 10 bucks a couple of years ago. I had to mail in the original barcode from the box with a copy of the receipt. After ping-ponging the rebate mail between me and microsoft three or four times (there were about 7 gazillion barcodes on the box smile and then they lost the copy of my receipt) I just gave up.

HELLO!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: