http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:10:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whow this forum is almost dead  (Read 6128 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2005, 08:46:19 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
If we had a system like one that was mentioned above where the front page news was replicated in some fashion in here so you could comment on it, would it be a more compelling forum section?  Answer honestly as it is going to take some work to implement - I don't want to waste anyones time if its not going to get used.

Just to clarify my idea, what I had in mind was only ONE sticky in each forum that is applicable(I'd guess PC Gaming and Console Gaming plus Off Topic).  The contents of that sticky would be very brief snippets of the day's content of the front page, such as:

New BF2 screenshots, click here....new STALKER delay, click here...Mod of the week, Garry's Mod, click here...New reviews, GT4/ Playboy Mansion, click here...

That's it, that's all it would take.  So every day someone like me, popping into the forums to see what's up, could easily check that sticky first. Using the above example, I'd say to myself "I need to check that BF2 update" and click on the link. That would take me to the article, taking me OUT of the forum and maybe I'd be more likely to poke around the front pages more.

The purpose of the sticky would not be to generate more forum discussions(though it might), it would be to provide forum regulars with a 'head's up' about what is going on elsewhere on the site. It's a convenience thing, in other words. Of course, from my perspective, it would be worth it.

If the intention is only to increase forum activity, I'd say no it wouldn't be worth it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »

Let me give that some thought gameoverman.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2005, 10:47:33 PM »

As a rep of OO, I wanted to chime in with a couple things.

Since it seems some people feel like there is, I want to say that we do not want/seek/whatever any sort of competition with CG. I, and many other OOers, regularly browse CG and I certainly enjoy the front page here just as much as the forums. It's great stuff, especially the screen shots slywink.

That said, I wouldn't worry about OO dying. We have a very active community, quite a few of whom joined us from places other the GG. A front page is coming and we hope to offer content that will set up apart from other gaming sites. If it becomes popular (perhaps popular enough to crush a quad Xeon 3ghz slywink ) then great, if not, that's fine. We're just happy to have an audience who enjoys something we've put together.

Anywho, while I understand the urge to compare the two sites we don't look at it that way. I don't think the success of one necessarily means the other will fail. Ron runs a great site here and I wish him only the best of luck.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2005, 11:44:52 PM »

Nice post...

I certainly dont wish Ill will to OO... in fact it is quite the converse.

Its just hard to do more than one forum -FOR ME ANYWAY- and Ron has been very accomodating initially to the refugees... so for that I am loyal.

I think all of this is just frustration over the way it all went down.. Rich only made one misstep in MY OPINION.. I miss his roll calls and hope he is well, I just dont understand why a week before closing he didnt put up a notice for everyone to meet at  either OO or CG life would have been easier..... I guess he didnt want to deal with any more nonsense from people either pleading to keep it open or others offering liverwurst sandwiches... we may never know.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2005, 05:39:41 PM »

I tend to post a lot more on OO, for the simple reason that the overlap of topics that were posted on both boards confused me so much. I was never sure where I posted, and lost track of any topics I was posting on.

Although to be fair both forums are pretty bad for gaming related stuff, in comparison to GG. OO consists of mainly WOW topics, and the PC section of CG doesn't see much action. GG was a great place for rumours about upcoming games, cancelled games, problems with development house and a lot more.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2005, 06:01:27 PM »

I always have the easiest time actually getting into a board and conversing with people when I've actually played games and spoken with the people before.

That's an issue for me at CG, because I can never seem to play a game with any of you guys, no matter how hard I try.

Whereas at OO or GWJ, there's consistent weekly games of something going on all the time. There's NFL2k5 leagues, there's a CS:Source server just for members of the forums, there's Charlie's Raven Sheild and GR servers for the OO crew...  that kind of stuff is where the draw is at for me. Not in the news. Don't get me wrong, I do read the front page at least a couple of times a week and I find it very informative, but the front page info and stories are not what draws me to a website, and especially not to it's forums.

There's not a thing wrong with this place. I like the frontpage, and I like the forums, it's just that my biggest draw to an online forum is multiplayer gaming, and not nearly enough of that goes on here to suit my tastes.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2005, 07:44:29 PM »

th'FOOL wrote:
See, for all of us hard working staff members, the main site actually comes before the forums in importance, and we strive to make it the same way for our readers. Putting the top news in a forum thread not only would give us more work, but totally defeats the purpose.

Don't get me wrong, i love having a good forum to post in, but these forums are just a small fraction of what's going on with this site. Mind you, we do have plans for more compelling and original front page content to complement our in-depth game reviews, but the forum is definitely a small part of a much bigger picture.

You know, it might help if you guys start a forum topic for every news item, and then you guys can have a real "discuss it in the forums" link instead of just linking to the forums... Call me a lazy bastard but many a times I have clicked on the "discuss it in the forums" link after a news story and I have been just too lazy to start the topic according to the news item...

Just a thought
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2005, 05:36:14 AM »

Quote from: "Drazzil"
th'FOOL wrote:
See, for all of us hard working staff members, the main site actually comes before the forums in importance, and we strive to make it the same way for our readers. Putting the top news in a forum thread not only would give us more work, but totally defeats the purpose.

Don't get me wrong, i love having a good forum to post in, but these forums are just a small fraction of what's going on with this site. Mind you, we do have plans for more compelling and original front page content to complement our in-depth game reviews, but the forum is definitely a small part of a much bigger picture.

You know, it might help if you guys start a forum topic for every news item, and then you guys can have a real "discuss it in the forums" link instead of just linking to the forums... Call me a lazy bastard but many a times I have clicked on the "discuss it in the forums" link after a news story and I have been just too lazy to start the topic according to the news item...

Just a thought

Then the forums would be so cluttered with news items, then it would seem that all the posts were about news, and quite frankly not all news posts deserve a forum thread.

People pissed and moaned when Ron posted something about new news items when the GG forums will still up too.

I really don't think that having a thread in the forum for every news item is a real solution, and it defeats the purpose of having the news page in the front.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2005, 03:28:03 PM »

How about you open a "News" forum then, to keep the rest of the forums from getting cluttered.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2005, 06:07:12 AM »

Oh let's just stop ignoring the 800 lb. gorilla in the room and just say it.

You want to give this forum a huge influx of people!?  Then make an "adult only" forum.  You know what I'm saying.

Just Hiro will do.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2005, 06:47:21 AM »

It's wow.   No "h".
unbreakable
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2005, 08:26:35 AM »

Cant post, too busy playing World of Warcraft.  I dont know about anyone else, but thats pretty much all I do with my free time anymore.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »

Tongue

I just saw this old thread from a couple years ago and thought myself the GT forum has caught on pretty well and is a nice place to visit.

Nice job to the GT staff.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2007, 02:19:55 PM »

whatever happened to dbt?

ps nice thread necromancy Purge!   ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2007, 02:46:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 13, 2005, 08:26:07 PM

Know what the best way to fix a 'dead forum' is?  Start a conversation. smile

Honestly I'd like to see more discussions on the work we put into the front page.  We post probably 200 pieces of news a week or more...very little of that is discussed here.  Sometimes there are even duplicate threads that point to other forums and websites on things we posted 3-4 days prior.  I wish I knew what the magic formula is to drive the discussion but I'm open to any ideas.

If you want to get more responses to the stories posted then I say work something up where you can reply directly to the news story (a la Kotaku and many other gaming and non-gaming sites) rather than making a thread about it.  I would love to comment on some of the stories that I read but I'm not going to bother making up an entire thread just to say what I want to say.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

I visit Oo, Gt and QT3, i have about 900 posts in OO, a few here and at QT3. For me i mostly just like to read the topics and enjoy the prose, If there is anything i feel is worth saying i'll say it but that doesn't seem to be too often.

I also admit to not  visiting any of the front pages of the sites, i visit bluesnews for my gaming info, gameranking for a breakdown of reviews.

I know people say they don't have time for more than 1 forum but i find there isn't that many topics in each forum and 20 or 30 mins is enough for me to visit all the sites.

Also gotta say i enjoy all 3 sites, have no favourites so long live em all  icon_biggrin

unbreakable
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2007, 03:31:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2007, 02:19:55 PM

I was wondering that a few weeks ago.  Forgot to post it, and then just forgot entirely.

What were we talking about?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2007, 04:00:29 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 06, 2007, 03:31:53 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2007, 02:19:55 PM

I was wondering that a few weeks ago.  Forgot to post it, and then just forgot entirely.

What were we talking about?

illegal immigration.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 06, 2007, 02:46:13 PM

Honestly I'd like to see more discussions on the work we put into the front page.  We post probably 200 pieces of news a week or more...very little of that is discussed here.  Sometimes there are even duplicate threads that point to other forums and websites on things we posted 3-4 days prior.  I wish I knew what the magic formula is to drive the discussion but I'm open to any ideas.

If you want to get more responses to the stories posted then I say work something up where you can reply directly to the news story (a la Kotaku and many other gaming and non-gaming sites) rather than making a thread about it.  I would love to comment on some of the stories that I read but I'm not going to bother making up an entire thread just to say what I want to say.

This is a feature of the site build.  You'll be able to comment about our news stories as they happen. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2007, 05:54:35 PM »

Holy thread necro batman.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 06, 2007, 05:54:35 PM

I'm waiting for ATB to scorn Ridah for this. Or was it Purge? smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2007, 09:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 06, 2007, 08:22:06 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on October 06, 2007, 05:54:35 PM

I'm waiting for ATB to scorn Ridah for this. Or was it Purge? smile

I blame Austin.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 10:02:32 PM »

Seriously, can we stop this thread revival crap ATB?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 10:06:13 PM »

ATB left his necromancers staff lying around in the off-topic forum. I bumped it and it went off.

Here, ATB, you can have it back.

now can we get this thread   locked  drillsergeant

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2007, 10:48:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on February 22, 2005, 06:47:21 AM

It's wow.   No "h".

2 1/2 years later and still true.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2007, 01:41:35 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I first started writing for the site.  That would be a cool feature, but would have to moderated since some people aren't mature enough to handle that...

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2007, 01:42:12 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 06, 2007, 04:31:19 PM

This is a feature of the site build.  You'll be able to comment about our news stories as they happen. smile

Now I see your thread..sheesh frown Tongue

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2007, 06:35:31 AM »

I'm confused

this is a gaming forum?

Who knew?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2007, 06:58:42 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 07, 2007, 01:41:35 AM

That would be a cool feature, but would have to moderated since some people aren't mature enough to handle that...

s3z yoo m1st3r p00py p4nts!!!!!!!!!  finger ninja ninja2

Because I can,
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2007, 06:58:42 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 07, 2007, 01:41:35 AM

That would be a cool feature, but would have to moderated since some people aren't mature enough to handle that...

s3z yoo m1st3r p00py p4nts!!!!!!!!!  finger ninja ninja2

Hmm, I see one of the problems reared its head Tongue

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2007, 10:53:32 AM »

oh come on, 8100 posts and still trolling

*ducks*

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on October 07, 2007, 10:53:32 AM

*ducks*

wha?  I missed my chance to do a special 8000 post?  crap.

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:29 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 06, 2007, 10:02:32 PM

Seriously, can we stop this thread revival crap ATB?

Uh, I'm hoping that's your attempt at humor. If so, well done!
unbreakable
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2007, 05:24:34 PM

Quote from: Semaj on October 07, 2007, 10:53:32 AM

*ducks*

wha?  I missed my chance to do a special 8000 post?  crap.

I really love when people try to start up "a very special retrospective thread", where they discuss their old discussions.

At some point in the future, they could even discuss their old discussions about their old discussions.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

While this forum isn't dead, this thread is...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: