http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who works long hours?  (Read 1939 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:19:52 AM »

As in 60+ hours a week?

I'm considering picking up a job that goes 12 hours a day 5 days a week. Pays around 39k a year. (Compared to my 25k I'm making now on a standard 40 hour work week - although the offered me 75 cents more an hour if I stayed with them, and got all pissed off when I said no. Almost hit my guilty conciencse with how are trying to get me to stay. Monday is the last day to decide.)
Drive is about 45-60 mins each way, so that would put me at about 10 hours a day of personal time (around 6-8 for sleep) which I'm really wondering, all work and no play, is it going to get you after a while?
I could definitely use the money but if you've seen the movie Office Space, I sware they must have made that movie off of my life.. I could work and do nothing and still be saying work sucks.. Just laying back, relaxing, and watching a movie I enjoy.

Before I make the jump (would be hard to turn back once I do) wanted to get some opinions out there from those of us that work long hours. Do you still have time left for a personal life?
Sure we've got our two days off, but having worked such long hours during the week, come your days off aren't you too tired to do anything anyway?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 07:21:48 AM »

That's just too much for too little.  That's living to work, not working to live.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:11:41 AM »

I don't currently but I've certainly put in some insane hours in the past.  Poor quality of life is one of my primary reasons for leaving the Navy.  I personally would not work that kind of schedule voluntarily, particularly for $39k.  

Do you have a family?  If so, then it will suck for them.  If you don't have a family and want one some day, working those kind of hours won't be condusive to dating anyone.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 08:12:20 AM »

I don't currently but I've certainly put in some insane hours in the past.  Lack of personal time is one of my primary reasons for leaving the Navy.  I personally would not work that kind of schedule voluntarily, particularly for $39k.  

Do you have a family?  If so, then it will suck for them.  If you don't have a family and want one some day, working those kind of hours won't be condusive to dating anyone.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Before I make the jump (would be hard to turn back once I do) wanted to get some opinions out there from those of us that work long hours. Do you still have time left for a personal life?
 Short answer --- no.  Especially with an hour drive, your not going to have much extra time unless you don't need much sleep.  
Last year I was working six days a week for ten hours a day on average for pretty much the whole year.  Luckily once I hit over 8 hours/day and 40 hrs/week, overtime kicks in and I was making some pretty good dough.  For me, it was tiring at first but I did get used to it after awhile (and the fat paycheck!).  Down the road, I started to get a little burnt out and felt while the money was nice, I missed having some free time to do other stuff.  I could handle 9-10 hours/day, but past that and I started to get a little cranky.

There's a couple things to consider :
Do you need the job/money that bad?  If not, I'd say pass and find something less time consuming.

Does the 39K their paying you take OT into account or is that based on a 40 hour work week?  If that includes OT, pass.  That's not enough cash for all that time.  If it doesn't, it may not be so bad.  You could save up and then quit later on.  

Do you have to spend time with a girlfriend or have other non-work commitments?  
If you do, you may want to pass.  Working that many hours, you can kiss your social life goodbye.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:10:24 AM »

$40k a year, 60hrs a week, plus the part time job of going to and from work?  Doesnt seem worth it.

Here is what your day will look like- wake up (probably tired), go to work, work, come home in time to go to bed.  Rince and repeat four more times.

Weekends, you are catching up on sleep you may have missed if you actually tried doing something besides work and sleep (like play a game or something).

I don't know what your last job paid, but is it less than $30k a year?  If not, you sound like you are better off with the other job.  If you need more money, see if you can pick up a part time job somewhere, maybe on weekends, or a few of your days off.

You can always make more money, you can't make more time.  Try to hit a balance between money and free time, and always err on the side of free time if you are making fairly decent money.

Now if the job were, say, $70k or more a year, yeah, I could see it being worth 60hrs a week.  But not $40k.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 11:53:43 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
That's just too much for too little.  That's living to work, not working to live.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO frickin` agree with that!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »

At face value, $39K for five 12s, it doesn't sound worth it to me.  If the benefits are outstanding, there's rapid advancement, or it's a great stepping-stone, I might consider taking the job for a year if I have no other commitments (spouse, family, sports, etc).  The one good thing about a job that takes all your free time is that they're great for saving money.  You don't have time to go spend it. biggrin

With a schedule like that, you'll have to work so hard to maintain non-work relationships that they cease to be fun and become just another job.

I know a guy who is required to work 6 days a week, minimum of 10 hour days.  He's a lawyer with a government job.  His pay and benefits are outstanding - overtime kicks in any hours over 8 he works daily, and all day on the weekends.  He's worked there a few months and has racked up some serious paychecks, though he's so burnt out he's already considering quitting.  Not enough hours in the week for him to feel like he does anything but work.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:22:19 PM »

I'm making less than that and have been drafted at work, along with the rest of the production department, into pulling 12-15 hours days almost every day every week for the last two months. Naturally, no pay increase was given and our boss decided to skip Christmas bonuses this year so we're all real pleasant people about the situtation. Don't do it unless a hell of a lot more money + outstanding benefits are there.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 03:32:23 PM »

A great philosopher or Chinese cookie fortune ( I can't remember ) once said:

Don't trade time for gold.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 05:04:19 PM »

Here's my philosophy: You've got your whole life to make money but time is fleeting.  Once that day/time is gone, you never get it back.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

60+ a week?  Please.  Call me when you get to the big leagues smile
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »

39k for 60 hour weeks is a simple NO!

Even the boost you will see from your current 25k? will not help.

I have had to put in killer hours before and the first thing you learn is how little value money really is compared to life.

This also depends on what you will be doing for the 12 hours also.  I mean if I had to work 12 hours at a place and all I had to do was sit around and keep an eye on stuff maybe play some computer games etc then maybe not so bad.  Or will it be phyical labor and kick the shit out of you for 12 hours?

Pig
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 08:59:07 PM »

$40,000 a year.

$40,000 divided by 52 weeks = $770 a week

$770 a week divided by 60 hours = $12.82 an hour.

$25,000 a year.

$25,000 divided by 52 weeks = $480 a week

$480 a week divided by 40 hours = $12.00 an hour.

Add $.75 an hour = $12.75 an hour.

Having a life = priceless.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 09:55:54 PM »

Can't argue with math!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 10:20:04 PM »

Yeah Stimpy blew that one up. You already make the same so take the extra 75 cents and count your blessings. Of course you aren't giving any good details of the two jobs.

For instance, is there more upward mobility in the other job? Better benefits? Other extras etc. You can't allways consider money, for example, in my company when you get promoted from Assistant to Manager you get roughly a 20% pay raise but also a ten percent increase in hours and a monumental increase in responsibility. On the surface it doesn't look like a good idea to take that promotion because of all the headaches, but in this company if you're not willing to manage a store, you don't normally get promoted to anything else unless you're exceptionally talented at something. On top of that Managers are treated ten times better than assistants, get bigger bonusses and get a lot more respect overall.

So I'd say we need more information, and secondly, if you are looking for a new job, let us help. Tell us what you do now, where you live and what you want and maybe we can help lock you in somewhere better.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 05:10:03 AM »

Wow, am I really getting paid that bad? Having come from state employment and now working in the private sector, I can say my hourly pay is currently set at $8.00/hour. I've only been with this job since the end of december but didn't realize the yearly pay was so much lower than I had thought it was.
The new job is offering $12.00/hour - so you are getting 40 hours at $12 plus 20 hours at time and a half (I rounded it out around to $17) and the yearly pay came to about 39k.
It's a set schedule, 5 days a week 12 hours a day, so your hours won't ever be cut back.

I was expecting the responses to be way on the other side ("Go for it, more hooters wings and more lap dances with all that money") but well, they weren't.  

When my ex ripped my heart out she brought it with her. I have no desire to get into another relationship as my trust is next to zero when it comes to women. I'd rather be single, that way I won't ever have to come home early from work one day and see her making out with the pool boy.
My only real responsibilities (beyond my finances - rent, car, etc.) are the four animals I own, pitbull, pot-bellied pig, ferret, and a savannah monitor.
It'll be interesting to see how I can balance that out.

There's another post I can take at a hospital, one 16 hour day, and two 12 hour shifts for a total of 40 hours a week. (3 days on, 4 days off.)  Same pay at $12.00.

Should also mention this is only temporary, 3 years maximum until I get back into corrections. Goal is to move to North Florida when I get some money put away.

But thanks to comments like this:

I have had to put in killer hours before and the first thing you learn is how little value money really is compared to life.

I'm really beginning to second thought the new job opportunity. Sometimes it feels so much better when you get to appreciate life knowing full well just how short it is.
On the other hand, bringing home a fat pay check can help ease any financial stress you may be having.

Thanks for all the comments.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 05:20:44 AM »

Another thing that comes to mind is the type of work you'd be doing.  Is it hard back-breaking work where you come home exhausted or is it a kick back stress-free job?  
It's not really so bad if your spending time at work, but not really working if you know what I mean.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 07:23:26 AM »

There's another post I can take at a hospital, one 16 hour day, and two 12 hour shifts for a total of 40 hours a week. (3 days on, 4 days off.) Same pay at $12.00.

Three days a week?  That sounds like the winner.

I've always viewed it this way- once I'm AT work, I could care less how long I stay.  The day is essentially done; work days are centered on work.

So a job that gives you FOUR days off, well, that's just a winner right there.  If you need more money, you can either see about picking up more hours, or get a second job (although I think second jobs play hell with your taxes to the point of not being worth it).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 07:24:59 AM »

Lately I've been doing the 60 hours a week at a base pay of 15 bucks (22.50 OT), but with only about an hours travel time roundtrip.  That gets me a bit over 700 per week after taxes.  One one hand I have no real life, but on the other I don't know anyone else in Baltimore (friends I had here moved south and I don't like to socialize with co-workers (besides, they're all 40+ with families)) and I am trying to raise enough to get out of here myself while covering $1500 a month in expenses, so in the end I think it's going to be worth it.

I pretty much sit behind a PC for the 12 hours and I get to listen to my iPod (as long as I only use 1 earbud I can hear the phone or if someone asks me something).  I think I am going to start picking up some audio books as well-  I killed 6 hours the other day listening to one and it went by pretty quickly.

I guess it all comes down to what you want and what you need.  I can stand working 5 12 hour days or 6 10 hour days  (or any other combination with at least 1 day off) to get what I want

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 08:52:37 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
There's another post I can take at a hospital, one 16 hour day, and two 12 hour shifts for a total of 40 hours a week. (3 days on, 4 days off.) Same pay at $12.00.

Three days a week?  That sounds like the winner.

I've always viewed it this way- once I'm AT work, I could care less how long I stay.  The day is essentially done; work days are centered on work.

So a job that gives you FOUR days off, well, that's just a winner right there.  If you need more money, you can either see about picking up more hours, or get a second job (although I think second jobs play hell with your taxes to the point of not being worth it).

See, I'm with unbreakable on this one.

Right now I'm working 4 10 hour days and then I get three days off, every week and always the same days.

I have never been happier. Yes, it's pretty much wake up, eat, go to work, get home, sleep, and then repeat the process, but it's only four days. Then I get three whole days to just do whatever the hell I want. And should I schedule a vacation for one set of four days I'm actually not at work for ten days straight. So, so awesome.

Longer days are easily worth it if you only have to work three or four.

My one worry now is whether the Pilot's union screws me out of a job at the beginning of next month frown

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
A great philosopher or Chinese cookie fortune ( I can't remember ) once said:

Don't trade time for gold.

Nnonono....it was a Chinese gold farmer that said "You buy gold!"

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Wow, am I really getting paid that bad? Having come from state employment and now working in the private sector, I can say my hourly pay is currently set at $8.00/hour. I've only been with this job since the end of december but didn't realize the yearly pay was so much lower than I had thought it was.

$8.00/hour = roughly $16,000/year

The new job is offering $12.00/hour - so you are getting 40 hours at $12 plus 20 hours at time and a half (I rounded it out around to $17) and the yearly pay came to about 39k.

Roughly $42,000/year and 98 hours free time

There's another post I can take at a hospital, one 16 hour day, and two 12 hour shifts for a total of 40 hours a week. (3 days on, 4 days off.)  Same pay at $12.00.

Roughly $24,000/year and 122 hours free time (assuming no shift differential and 1 hour drive time both ways)

Should also mention this is only temporary, 3 years maximum until I get back into corrections. Goal is to move to North Florida when I get some money put away.

If you're just looking to save money as fast as you can, go for the 60-hours-a-week job.  You'll be making significantly more cash, and you won't really have the time to spend it.  

If you have a goal, and it appears that you do, take whichever route will get you to that goal fast enough.  Tough situations are easier to weather if you know where they end.

On paper, it appears that the 60-hours-a-week job will get you to your goal of money saved and moved to Florida far faster than any of the other jobs.  You'll be making significantly more cash and you won't really have much free time to spend it.

If there are shift differentials at the hospital job, you might want to factor those in and see where that puts you before making your decision.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 09:45:57 PM »

Last year I was pulling 70+ hours a week for greater than 50% of the time. I got a great rating through. This year I've dialed back to 40 to 45 hours a week. I imagine my rating next year will reflect this decrease in performance.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 09:49:32 PM »

I will never, EVER, work a job that requires more than 50 hours a week occassionally. I live to....live and have fun and enjoy myself. Spending my life at work does not achieve any of those goals, and in fact would make me an unhappy person. Right now I am working just about on the dot 40 hours a week. Its not a hard job at all, and I still find it almost unbearable. I will never, ever be a workaholic.
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 11:09:07 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I will never, EVER, work a job that requires more than 50 hours a week occassionally. I live to....live and have fun and enjoy myself. Spending my life at work does not achieve any of those goals, and in fact would make me an unhappy person. Right now I am working just about on the dot 40 hours a week. Its not a hard job at all, and I still find it almost unbearable. I will never, ever be a workaholic.

I'm the same way.  I work in IT, with a salary that doesn't change based on the number of hours worked (i.e., no overtime pay).  Most of my coworkers work 50+ hours routinely, and there are a few who have worked 100-hour weeks in the past.  I think that's insane, though...my personal life is far more important to me than any worklife could ever be.  I don't care about having a career.  So, I generally work 42-46 hours a week.  As long as I'm making money enough to support my lifestyle, I'll stick with that job and work the minimum number of hours necessary to keep it.  I'm pretty good about getting everything done that I need to in the hours I work...I just don't go "above and beyond" very often, due to my refusal to work longer.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 11:22:45 PM »

Quote from: "Gwar21"

I'm the same way.  I work in IT, with a salary that doesn't change based on the number of hours worked (i.e., no overtime pay).  Most of my coworkers work 50+ hours routinely, and there are a few who have worked 100-hour weeks in the past.  I think that's insane, though...my personal life is far more important to me than any worklife could ever be.  I don't care about having a career.  So, I generally work 42-46 hours a week.  As long as I'm making money enough to support my lifestyle, I'll stick with that job and work the minimum number of hours necessary to keep it.  I'm pretty good about getting everything done that I need to in the hours I work...I just don't go "above and beyond" very often, due to my refusal to work longer.

Bingo.  I refuse to sacrifice the whole point of making good money - having the time and means to keep my family comfortable and happy.  What good does it do to work so much that you never see your family?  You'll just have more money to split when you divorce.  There is a guy at work that is supposed to get off at 7:00pm and I can't think of a time that I've ever seen him leave earlier than 8:30pm.  Seriously - if you can't get your work done in your normal shift you need to look at how you are doing things and make improvements or hire more people. (or stop screwing around on the job)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 11:54:50 PM »

Quote from: "Gwar21"

Bingo.  I refuse to sacrifice the whole point of making good money - having the time and means to keep my family comfortable and happy.  What good does it do to work so much that you never see your family?  You'll just have more money to split when you divorce.  There is a guy at work that is supposed to get off at 7:00pm and I can't think of a time that I've ever seen him leave earlier than 8:30pm.  Seriously - if you can't get your work done in your normal shift you need to look at how you are doing things and make improvements or hire more people. (or stop screwing around on the job)

Really this is absolutely true. In the future I want a family and I want to be around them. Now I want to play games and go to the gym and have fun this way. I get paid no overtime, and until and unless I find a job that I am passionate about, I am not working any more than necessary.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 05:12:42 AM »

There is a guy at work that is supposed to get off at 7:00pm and I can't think of a time that I've ever seen him leave earlier than 8:30pm. Seriously - if you can't get your work done in your normal shift you need to look at how you are doing things and make improvements or hire more people. (or stop screwing around on the job)

I see people like that all of the time.  The thing is, they are at work because they want to.  Even the ones that protest the loudest how much they hate their job- many work environment thrive on a masochistic culture based around the equiivalent of dick measuring contests: "Oh yeah, you think you got it bad?  I come in at 5am and don't leave until after 8pm" "That's nothing, I come in..."

A buddy of mine in the Navy used to tell everyone how bad he was being screwed, how awful it was, how miserable, etc.  You think he stayed in?  You betcha.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 04:25:39 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
There is a guy at work that is supposed to get off at 7:00pm and I can't think of a time that I've ever seen him leave earlier than 8:30pm. Seriously - if you can't get your work done in your normal shift you need to look at how you are doing things and make improvements or hire more people. (or stop screwing around on the job)

I see people like that all of the time.  The thing is, they are at work because they want to.  Even the ones that protest the loudest how much they hate their job- many work environment thrive on a masochistic culture based around the equiivalent of dick measuring contests: "Oh yeah, you think you got it bad?  I come in at 5am and don't leave until after 8pm" "That's nothing, I come in..."

A buddy of mine in the Navy used to tell everyone how bad he was being screwed, how awful it was, how miserable, etc.  You think he stayed in?  You betcha.

Yep, this is so completely true. It is a dick measuring contest. If you can't afford a Corvette, do this instead, prove your "superiority" over your other workers. Its like the dilbert cartoon with all the gadgets hanging on their belts-whatever it takes to look better than your coworkers.
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »

At my first salaried IT job, my boss would kick everyone in our department out of the office when he was leaving.  He was a good influence; I'm inclined to just stay at work, but on a salary it just isnt worth it.

Also, a while after high school, I met some German guy who ran a construction company.  He told me that, unlike most people here are used to, he never lets his guys work more than 8 hours a day.  At first they were complaining, saying they could never get enough done, blah blah blah, since construction guys are used to putting in a lot of overtime.  However, he said that eventually cut down on the slacking around, and they would also start wrapping things up about an hour before they had to go.  Germans aren't big on overtime  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: