http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 12:33:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Killed 3D?  (Read 711 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »

Looks like this article is a few weeks old, but I don't remember seeing it:
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2011/09/who_killed_3d.html

A lot of encouragement there for those people underwhelmed by 3D movies. I found this article via a report on NPR that stated that studios would now require you to buy your own 3D glasses, on top of the already higher price to see a 3D movie.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »

I am not sure after reading the article who did it, but I will say I am glad they did.  I hate 3D crap being forced on me for a higher price. 

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »

I viewed 3D as another way of saying "10 dollar surcharge for this movie for no reason at all other than we are greedy". I had to see Tangled in 3D when I took my daughter-it was the only option- and after that I vowed NEVER to see a 3D movie again.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »

I will say that I think 3d for games is a good thing (when it makes sense).  You always have a choice to have it on or off as well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

I don't care "who did it", I just say it is about goddamn time.  I've been saying since the beginning that 3D was just another bad gimmick and I can't believe it took most people this long to figure that out.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »

I just blame it all on Avatar's record-breaking success at the box office. The fact that it truly was filmed in 3-D (not converted in post-production) seemed entirely lost on all the studios that wanted to be greedy. What worries me - if Cameron ever gets his Avatar 2/3 projects done - is if Avatar goes back into theaters and makes a zillion bucks in 3D again, guess what the studios will go back to thinking?  disgust

Pretty much every movie this summer that had a 3-D version available had reviews that all but screamed "don't waste your money on the 3-D version" or "the 3-D version is so dark you can't see what's going on." So imho, if Hollywood's not going to invest in "real" 3D cameras to give you an actual 3-D experience, they're a whole lot better off ditching the concept altogether in favor of having more IMAX screens and really good, 2-D theaters. Esp. in a recession and given our nation's unemployment rate, charging more for crappy looking 3D is awful -- it's "piling on."

I did have to sit in the back of a theater to watch Thor in 3-D (my mom's farsighted), and honestly, it really did help make the screen seem closer in that respect. Other than that, and seeing Captain America once in 3-D (it was OK, but not worth the extra cost imho), I actively avoided 3-D this summer.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »

Whaaaah 3D is evil! Whaaaah!  crybaby

Seems like the cool thing to bitch about now.

Just don't go. Easy solution.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »

Or just stick with movies that are shot in 3D, like Avatar, Tron: Legacy, and Transformers 3.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »

3D can be an enhancement when the film is shot with an eye towards deployment as a 3D experience.  However, most of the 3D films we've seen beyond Avatar have simply been retro engineered for 3D.  That can end up making the quality of the film suffer (the darkness, etc.).   I'm not a big fan of the format primarily because of this. 

I posted something on OO a while ago in which I predicted it would eventually fade away.  While we're still seeing about 2 a month being released throughout 2012, it's still far less than folks initially speculated.  I really do think it's on the decline.

...oh...and

Whaaaaaah 3D is evil!  Waaaaah  crybaby

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:40:49 PM »

Thanks, hep!  icon_biggrin

That's it, if you stop going, they'll stop making them. Nobody is putting a gun to your head.

I find it hard to believe this is a big problem.

One more...Whaaaaaaah crybaby
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:42:59 PM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 05, 2011, 06:09:02 PM

Don't know if it's still happening, but in some theaters 3d movies screwed over even people who opted for a 2d viewing.  They used 3d projectors for the 2d showings (since it was too annoying to swap them) resulting in a low-brightness substandard image.

Personally, I've liked 3d in movies that have done it properly, and I hate that I have to do independent research on each new movie to see if it was done properly or not.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 05, 2011, 07:45:10 PM

Don't know if it's still happening, but in some theaters 3d movies screwed over even people who opted for a 2d viewing.  They used 3d projectors for the 2d showings (since it was too annoying to swap them) resulting in a low-brightness substandard image.

Personally, I've liked 3d in movies that have done it properly, and I hate that I have to do independent research on each new movie to see if it was done properly or not.

This.  

Also, while Devil believes it's as simple as just not buying a ticket to a 3D movie, oftentimes the theaters won't offer a 2D alternative.  Case in point:  I wanted to see Fright Night recently.  When it opened it was offered only once per day at around 2pm in 2D in the closest theater to me.  The next furthest had zero 2D showings.  This left me with the options of driving at least a half hour through Chicago traffic if I wanted to see it in 2D, trying to get out of work early to see it on a weekday or paying full pricing since movies after the first matinee on weekends aren't available at the reduced pricing.  Since I'd already read that the 3D version was a bit too dark for most critics and I hate to spend more than regular matinee prices if I can avoid it, this left me with no option but to wait.  After about 3 weeks, they started offering 2D versions (I would like to think because folks complained) at better times.

So while it's easy to advise others to "just don't go", it's also an uninformed piece of advice.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 05, 2011, 07:55:35 PM

So while it's easy to advise others to "just don't go", it's also an uninformed piece of advice.

Then again, maybe they will get the hint and either dump the crappy 3D or show more 2D showings.  Like I said, I may not count for much in the way of movie tickets but I am not giving them a 10 dollar surcharge again for a 2D movie pawned off as a 3D movie.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 05, 2011, 07:26:41 PM

3D can be an enhancement when the film is shot with an eye towards deployment as a 3D experience.  However, most of the 3D films we've seen beyond Avatar have simply been retro engineered for 3D.  That can end up making the quality of the film suffer (the darkness, etc.).   I'm not a big fan of the format primarily because of this.  

I posted something on OO a while ago in which I predicted it would eventually fade away.  While we're still seeing about 2 a month being released throughout 2012, it's still far less than folks initially speculated.  I really do think it's on the decline.

...oh...and

Whaaaaaah 3D is evil!  Waaaaah  crybaby

Please, you know you're waiting for a 3d version of Terra Nova to come out so you can see the main character's son in all his hot, sweaty glory up close while man-handling dinosaurs.

With the news that sony would no longer be providing 3d glasses to theaters for their films, you know theaters are just going to pass that cost on to consumers, thus raising the costs of seeing a 3d movie even more.
While I actually do enjoy 3d, I'm not willing to spend more than a couple bucks more for it as I still find seeing the 'regular' version almost as good. Maybe when 3d sales really start to sink due to the increased costs to consumers, Sony will reverse their decision. (And other studios won't be as tempted to be greedy and follow Sony's lead.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:12:17 PM by corruptrelic » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »

For some reason, starting a dig with the word "please" always makes me chuckle.   icon_lol

.....ah crap.  the floodgates are open now, aren't they?

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »

Please girl, don't even go there! *Snaps fingers*

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »

Bingo. I haven't been to a theater in over 6 months. I can't even remember the last movie we saw and it used to be that we'd go almost every weekend.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact there hasn't been a movie worth seeing this year.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 05, 2011, 08:16:42 PM

Bingo. I haven't been to a theater in over 6 months. I can't even remember the last movie we saw and it used to be that we'd go almost every weekend.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact there hasn't been a movie worth seeing this year.

So you're actually against movies in general?   icon_confused

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »

I don't think it's dying out so much as finding its niche. Too many theaters have invested too much money in conversions to just turn their backs on it. Some segment of their customers will always prefer it, and some fraction of movies will benefit from it (particularly animation and special effects movies). It's just not going to take the industry by storm, as it seemed after Avatar updated the technology. But I do hope that the fad of releasing every comedy and romance in 3D has run its course.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: