http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:28:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which show on DVD should we watch next?  (Voting closed: April 01, 2005, 01:59:21 AM)
Babylon 5 - 12 (42.9%)
Deadwood (season 1) - 8 (28.6%)
Farscape - 2 (7.1%)
La Femme Nikita (seasons 1&2) - 1 (3.6%)
The Sopranos - 3 (10.7%)
Enterprise - 2 (7.1%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which TV series on DVD should I watch next?  (Read 1752 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:59:21 AM »

My wife and I have been on a rip watching TV shows on DVD.  We rent them from Netflix.  So far we've watched all of Stargate, Firefly and are finishing Deep Space Nine.  What should we watch next?

Some of the shows only have a season or two released so far.  That's ok.  Some are several seasons long and that's ok too.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 02:24:16 AM »

Enterprise isn't out yet, and the first season kinda sucked.

Farscape seems to be the choice out of those, though I've heard good things about Deadwood.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 02:59:01 AM »

If you want to stay on the sci-fi kick, I would recommend (oddly enough) B5 first then Farscape, even though I think Farscape is the superior show. I'd say in that order because I think Farscape is still ongoing with future mini-series. I haven't seen the Peacekeeper Wars series though, so I might be totally wrong.

Deadwood if you want a serious change of pace and some stellar television.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 03:09:32 AM »

I've been looking at getting Farscape through Netflix.  I just need to ask 1 question:  were the people in charge of the First Seasons DVD's on crack?

Disc 1:  episodes 1 &7?
Disc 2: episodes 2 & 4
Disc 3: episodes 3 & 6
Disc 4: episodes 5 & 8
Disc 5: episode 9 & 10
Disc 6: episodes 11&13
Disc 7: episodes 12 & 14

wtf?  Basically I need to get the first 7 discs at the same time to see the more than half of the first season in order?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:45:20 AM »

Bab 5.  Then if you have Netflix, Smallville.  MAN that show's good biggrin
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 04:39:05 AM »

yeah, absolutely - Bab 5, then Farscape.  just bear in mind that you have to live through the beginning of Bab 5 with the wooden-acting Captain (or Admiral or whatever he was to begin with).  watch them all so you can catch all the character dev from the beginning - the rest of the characters, and the stories, will make up for it.  and stock up on popcorn, if they've released them all, there are a ton of episodes.

i can't say enough about both series - really, really great!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 04:44:57 AM »

I just finished my way through the first DVD of Deadwood and I'm about to watch the second.  Absolutely fantastic stuff.  The acting is some of the best on TV.  Ian McShane and Brad Dorif are great.  Awesome stuff.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 04:58:36 AM »

I liked the Babylon 5 series myself.Mainly the part that dealt with the Shadow Wars.What is that,seasons 4&5?
I bought the two seasons but am too lazy to go look.  :?

Ye Olde Farte
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 05:23:22 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Enterprise isn't out yet, and the first season kinda sucked.

Hmm.  I thought it was.  Oh well.  I saw parts of season one and that's why I stopped watching it.

If we go for Babylon 5 should we start with Season One or wasn't there a pilot released before the series started?  Should we watch that first?

She's interested in La Femme Nikita because she heard it was developed by the same guy(s) who do 24 which we both love.

Farscape is one of those series that didn't leave a good impression.  The aliens reminded me of bad Saturday morning Power Rangers episodes but I admit I only saw two or three episodes.  Everyone who's watched it loves it so I'll need to give it a fair shake sometime.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 07:22:10 AM »

With regards to Farscape - yes, yes you do. I know this because the first few times I saw an episode of Farscape here and there, I thought the exact same thing.

Take my word for it, though. The meat might look kinda freaky at first, but the taste's quite like none other.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 02:38:50 PM »

Farscape is pretty... out there for the most part. The good thing about the DVDs is you're catching a lot of stuff that was cut from the US broadcast due to commercials. Non-essential stuff like plot points or character development. I swear watching on disc I'm seeing new stuff all the time and things are better explained. Most episodes still feel like they just started in the middle, but you get used to it. Get past the first six episodes or so and it'll take hold, especially when they start revving up towards the end. Each season has a three or four episode arc leading into a jaw-dropper of a cliff-hanger, so be warned - you'll have to know how they get out of it. biggrin

B5- I would think you can start towards the end of season 1 and you'll be fine. DBT - the Shadow War was seasons 3 and 4, but Season 2 was all build-up for it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 03:51:37 PM »

Carnival Season 1

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 04:49:13 PM »

Oh....please....release....EMERGENCY!....on....DVD!

Sorry to derail.  Any talk of TV on DVD gets me depressed until I can have EMERGENCY! on DVD. :cry:

Thankyou.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 06:53:32 PM »

Babylon 5.  Although the first season was weaker than the next three, it was still very good.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 06:59:40 PM »

For what it's worth, I've been planning on renting Babylon 5, Carnivale, and Wonderfalls at some point. Any of those interest ya?

Oh, and rent the first season of Arrested Development.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 06:19:26 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

Oh, and rent the first season of Arrested Development.

If that had been on the list, I would've voted for it for sure. That was one of the funniest TV seasons I've ever seen.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 08:42:36 PM »

Babylon 5- one of my all time favorite shows.  Saw it for the first time last year and went on a bender with the DVD sets.  

I'd pick up the Pilot move- "The Gathering."  Its a bit weaker than the rest of the series but I still found it enjoyable and it sets the stage nicely.  You'll notice a few cast changes between the pilot and the first episode of Season One.  One of the characters "missing" will make a return appearance later in the series so its nice to have the background.

BE FOREWARNED- If you rent the disk that has both "The Gathering" and a TV movie titled "In the Beginning" do not watch "In the Beginning" contrary to its title.  ItB was actually produced after the end of Season Four and its a prequel that shows the backstory of what happened during the Earth-Minbari that occured prior to show starting.  Mysteries about this war drive much of the plot of Seasons 1-3 and ItB will spoil many of these mysteries for you.

I would not recommend skipping Season One.  Its weaker than the other but still has some very stellar episodes.  Plus, the shows creator was working on a pre-defined five year plan and there is a TON of foreshadowing in that first season that would not be payed off for quite a while.  

If you are struggling with the First Season, the following episodes are "must watches" for the greater story:

"Midnight on the Firing Line"
"Mind War"
"And the Sky Full of Stars"
"Signs and Portents"
"Voice in the Wilderness" 1 & 2
"Babylon Squared"
"Chrysalis"

I think the show makes a pretty big jump in quality with Season Two and is pretty much firing on all cylinders after that.

B5 is also host to my all-time favorite episode of television- Season Three's "Severed Dreams" which won the Hugo Award.

EDITED TO ADD:  After enjoying the series so much, I found the background behind the shows production equally fascinating.  B5 is the template for how all long form series shows should be run in my opinion.  Its pretty amazing how fluid and natural JMS was able to make some of the behind the scenes production issues on the screen, including the loss of some of the main cast.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 12:46:02 AM »

I just got back from Circuit City where I picked up the original pilot episode ("The Gathering") for $4.99.  They are in a thin cardboard sleeve, but they had them displayed along with the series boxed sets.  Not a bad way to get a taste of the show, and $5 for 89-minutes sounds like a nice deal to me.

I'm quite interested in the show, having read so many glowing reviews of it.  It sounds like it has a lot of political intrigue and is very well thought out.  Looking forward to picking up the boxed sets some day.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: