http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which camera should I get?  (Read 372 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:58:24 PM »

My 2003 camera is getting a little long in the tooth.  I basically want to have an SLR in a point and shoot body.  I know you have to make compromises.  Right now I'm stuck between the Canon SX 200 and the Panasonic Lumix ZS3.

First my requirements:
  • portable/pocketable
    good zoom
    capable of recording in HD
    capable of zooming during recording
    panaromic pictures

So at first I found the CanonSX 200(review) and it seemed to have everything I wanted except for the zooming during movies.  I was willing to make that sacrifice because I like Canon but then I found the Panasonic Lumix ZS3(review) which seems to to be just as good or better in the most cases (longer battery life, apparently better quality shots, zoom during videos).  I like the looks of both of them a lot. I like the fact that the Panasonic has stereo audio recording whereas the Sony only has mono.  Anybody have experience with these two cameras?  Looks like the Panny would cost me about $50 more than the Canon.

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »

The Fuji F70EXR is another 10x zoom P&S worth looking at.  This blog had a series if posts comparing the F70EXR to the ZS3.  Skip past the Rascal Flatts concert shoot to see the comparison posts.  I couldn't find a search that listed all the comparisons that didn't include that one.  One good thing, those concert shots were all done with the F70 so it gives you some idea of what it's capable of.

(HBZ)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:11:17 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 17, 2010, 11:58:24 PM

I basically want to have an SLR in a point and shoot body. 

First, have you considered the new micro four thirds cameras by Olympus and Panasonic?  "SLR in P&S body" is basically their entire premise.

Second, I highly recommend you take a look at the reviews on dpreview.com in addition to that review site you linked to.

Finally, if the Micro 4/3 cameras aren't for you, I'd advise adding to the consideration list the Canon G11, Canon S90, and Lumix LX3.   
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 17, 2010, 11:58:24 PM

Panasonic Lumix ZS3.

We got this recently. The poor low light performance is not exaggerated.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »

I got a Panasonic Lumix TS1 for a recent trip and it works pretty well.

You can drop it and drown it too!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

Wow cameras have sure evolved in the scant few years since my wife got me my Canon A75. Same size really but a huge improvement in lens and zoomable video? damn. Mine only does 10 sec videos at 640x480 I think...30 sec in i lower it lol. I'd love to have one of those. I'd settle for one that did the 3 auto set and shoot pics for HDR combining. having to do 3 shots manual never works because I have to manually set each one then shoot it. Ugh.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:37 PM »

I just recently got myself a Sony Cyber shot DSC-H20 and I really like it.  It does all of the things on your list with the exception of the panaromic pictures.  The picture quality is really good if you control the settings and the picture quality is not too bad if you use it in Auto. 

The one thing I am really happy with is the video quality of this camera.  720p at 30fps makes for some really nice quality HD home movies!  smile

Little movie sample for you here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBoeygnG-pc

Picture samples here from the recent Mardi Gras celebrations:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shad-o/sets/72157623326661417/

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:19:02 PM »

A friend has the Lumix GF-1 and is in love with it. Here are some shots of his: link.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: