http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:18:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is OO?  (Read 5246 times)
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004, 05:00:07 AM »

I hear OO mentioned here a few times and on QT3.

I know it's Octopus Overlord, the last place where all the GGers went. What I want to know is: the link? Please pretty please? Or is ia secret society? :cry:
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 05:07:31 AM »

all gger's went?

That's a bit of an overstatment.

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/index.php
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 05:44:00 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
all gger's went?

That's a bit of an overstatment.

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/index.php

Thanks! I mean the last place after CG and OT3.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 06:08:58 AM »

all gger's went?

All the one's who couldn't HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
[/jack nicholson]

Seriously - it's a good site and I go there every day or two. Check it out and feel free to hang out here as well.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 03:53:11 PM »

He means all the real GGers.

Disclaimer (for the humor impaired): that's a joke.  Hahah, funny.  Not a statement of elitism.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 04:57:03 PM »

I used to split my time b/t CG and OO, but since the evil IT admins put in websense, CG is blocked as a gaming site. So i mostly hang there now. Except for the 5 minutes i'm actually not at work!
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »

I still hang out in both. smile
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 08:31:57 PM »

I post over there more because I am not a console gamer and the Off Topic is a bit more active on OO, but I visit both. The double posts do get old though. I wish the community would have moved as a whole instead of splitting.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 08:38:43 PM »

Quote from: "Lee"
I wish the community would have moved as a whole instead of splitting.

Yeah, it would certainly have been nice, but the other group wanted to start their own thing and many people chose sides (or did double -- or in the case of QT3 triple -- duty).  This forum was around before GG went under, while OO was created because GG went under.  I wish Off-Topic was more busy in this forum than it is, maybe it is because it isn't named "Everything But Gaming" or something...heh biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 09:23:25 PM »

I post over there more because I am not a console gamer and the Off Topic is a bit more active on OO, but I visit both. The double posts do get old though. I wish the community would have moved as a whole instead of splitting.

I'd say 90% of my posts are on OO.  Their R&P and EBG section has some very interesting folk and there is a lot of content.  I'm also primarily a PC gamer, so those forums make the most sense for me.  I do stop in over here to visit the gaming sections, but I've found that most of the posts are just duplicated and thus spend more time at OO.

That and there are some folk that are welcome here (and not there) that honestly... drive me to a murderous rage.  It's best I just avoid them altogether smile

gellar
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 09:26:13 PM »

I still like and post and both.Both are good sites.

Ye Olde Farte
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 09:33:44 PM »

I post over there more because I am not a console gamer...

Our site name seems to be a problem for some people (not to pick on you specifically Lee.  It's a comment I've heard several times).  One could easily say that they didn't want to post at Octopus Overlords because they were neither an octoupus nor an overlord.  It's just a name.  I'm assuming ConsoleGold was chosen as a counterpart to GoneGold.  I can't imagine any other reason to choose that particular name.  What's odd is that, while GoneGold has faded away, ConsoleGold has started to embrace PC gaming.  Heck we even had the first Vampire: Bloodlines review up on the net!

While I enjoy my PS2 I wouldn't describe myself as a console gamer any more than I would describe myself as a meat-eater just because I happen to enjoy a steak or cheeseburger occasionally.  I'm omnivorous when it comes to gaming.

Please note that we have 9740 posts in our console gaming section right now compared to 6054 in our PC gaming section and 2905 in our Massive Multiplayer section.  It becomes inaccurate to characterize us as console boards anymore.

All that said, I'm not sure there'd be much point in changing the name of this site now.  It is what it is.  It offers a somewhat different experience from either Octopus Overlords or Quarter to Three and I like diversity.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 09:47:34 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Please note that we have 9740 posts in our console gaming section right now compared to 6054 in our PC gaming section and 2905 in our Massive Multiplayer section.  It becomes inaccurate to characterize us as console boards anymore.

By that same token, OO has 11,804 posts in its PC Gaming sections, which is why I think more PC gamers hang out there.  More quantity of discussion.

gellar
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 09:52:42 PM »

I'm assuming ConsoleGold was chosen as a counterpart to GoneGold.  I can't imagine any other reason to choose that particular name.

You are correct.  CG started off being part of the Gone Gold network and created by Rich.  Rich handed the day-to-day stuff to Ron years ago and we've grown from there.  Yes, it is tough to be pigeonholed with the name, but we have started to slowly pick up the slack with PC games whether anyone has noticed or not.

To say this is a console site only is hugely mistaken outside of the site name.  warning forgot to add all the PC gaming stuff together.  Road to Gold (PC only now), MMO Forum and PC Gaming Forum account for 11,254 posts versus the 9,742 in Console Gaming Forum.  Granted, some of those RtG posts are from console games before we restructured the forums, but you can see that PC gaming talk does outdo console talk on this forum.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 10:11:41 PM »

I went over to OO a few weeks ago and clicked on a seemingly innocent thread in Everything But Gaming. Within ten posts it had devolved into religion bashing and name calling. I'll never go back.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 10:23:13 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I went over to OO a few weeks ago and clicked on a seemingly innocent thread in Everything But Gaming. Within ten posts it had devolved into religion bashing and name calling. I'll never go back.

It does seem to be more laid-back here.....despite LE being around

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 10:24:50 PM »

In their defense that sort of thing can and does happen anywhere.  Even here.  Please stay away from the smoking remains of Drazzil's autobiography thread.  The poor thread never had a chance.   crybaby
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 10:38:44 PM »

Which thread was this?

Oh, and OO should be frequented on the fact that I post there a lot.

Just Hiro will do.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 10:49:17 PM »

CG rules, OO drools!

slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 11:22:13 PM »

I check in every couple or days or so there but haven't bothered to register and don't plan to anytime soon.  I find the group here far more agreeable and laid back.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 11:41:40 PM »

retard  ninja  smoke

Oh yea....we got the cool smileys too.  As for not being a PC site, meh...we held the only review on the entire Internet of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines for several days.  I'd not call that a small feat...hell, IGN was almost a week behind us.  We do plenty of PC gaming round these parts...

If it makes you console haters any more comfy, you can think of a console more along these terms. Linky cuz its huge.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 01:08:04 AM »

well, at one point everyone liked CG and thought of it as their new home., but GG mods didn't like the fact that they were powerless, started their own forum.  Many people wanted R&P and left. and the rest is history smile

I split my time at both.  At first I didn't like the idea, but I ended up missing a lot of people.  So I just visit both sites
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 02:23:24 AM »

Don't forget the not-so-small fact that there's a well maintained news site here, too.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 02:25:33 AM »

Nothing good can come of this... paranoid

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 02:52:15 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 08:39:31 AM »

This thread magnifies the split in the community even more so and is exactly what I was talking about. Even if we always didn't agree on GG, we still hung out together. Now people seem bitter.
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 09:14:42 AM »

This thread magnifies the split in the community even more so and is exactly what I was talking about. Even if we always didn't agree on GG, we still hung out together. Now people seem bitter.

All I really wanted to do was to know where OO was. Now however, I feel like a kid who accidently set a fire to his house.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 12:25:08 PM »

You know,me and my best friend did that once when we were kids. Fortunately it was his house.

Ye Olde Farte
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 12:34:53 PM »

Really?  I don't see bitterness here at all.  Just differences and (perhaps) some friendly rivalry going on.  Gone Gold was dead for a long time... it was inevitable the plug would eventually be pulled.  It's also inevitable that people would go in different directions.  It's life.  It happens.  Ain't no bad or good thing.

Threads like this exist both here and at OO and serve a purpose: they help each community define themselves.  Sometimes we define ourselves by comparing and contrasting to someone or something else.  No harm done.

As I said earlier in this thread:
Seriously - it's a good site and I go there every day or two. Check it out and feel free to hang out here as well.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 01:33:39 PM »

I'm too busy to be bitter.  My only pain is that I don't feel very welcome when I go to OO.  The few times I've been over there it hasn't been pleasant so I don't go anymore.  It has more to do with the readership than the leadership, although there are pains there too.

As for us all hanging out together, I wish that was the case, but as somebody who had to straddle both sides of the fence, I am going to completely disagree that we had that kind of relationship between CG and GG once we moved into our own home.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 02:49:15 PM »

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »

well, at one point everyone liked CG and thought of it as their new home., but GG mods didn't like the fact that they were powerless, started their own forum.  Many people wanted R&P and left. and the rest is history smile

I split my time at both.  At first I didn't like the idea, but I ended up missing a lot of people.  So I just visit both sites

I'm sure that was in jest, but just to clarify OO was not started because we felt "powerless". The ideas that are going into OO were around long before GG went down. However, since any changes to GG would have to have gone through Rich we were not able to put them into action.

Once it became clear that GG was not going to come back, we chose to start a site where we could take our experiences at GG and the ideas we had and put them in place.

It had nothing to do with power and it had nothing to do with CG.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 07:22:26 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm too busy to be bitter.  My only pain is that I don't feel very welcome when I go to OO.  The few times I've been over there it hasn't been pleasant so I don't go anymore.  It has more to do with the readership than the leadership, although there are pains there too.

Interesting - I feel the same way about CG.  I check the MMORPG forum a few times a week, but I feel much more welcome at OO than here at CG.  The "off-topic" forums at OO are much more active than here, while there seems to be more gaming discussion on this site.  However, when I visit CG, I feel like an outsider who has joined a party full of close friends that seem more intent on discussing things among themselves than welcoming new points of view.

Different strokes and such, right?   Tongue
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 08:09:18 PM »

This is really a well done site. I rarely post here but I do read it and click on the banners.

I'm sorry if there is discord- there shouldn't be even if it is natural.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 10:31:53 PM »

I came here, felt very welcome, and made it my new home.

I didn't feel the need to register at 2 forums, so I didn't.

I do check OO from time to time, but not with the regularity that I do here.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2004, 10:44:43 PM »

I was wondering where you were Don.

Formerly SJSharks
Arowyn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2004, 01:51:11 AM »

In their defense that sort of thing can and does happen anywhere.  Even here.  Please stay away from the smoking remains of Drazzil's autobiography thread.  The poor thread never had a chance.   crybaby

That's odd.  I had read it a couple days ago and it seemed very supportive and amicable.  I just went back and reread it and I can't say I found anything objectionable or offensive.  

As to the subject at hand, I enjoy both sites.  This one being more slick and professional, obviously going for a shot at a commercial venture, "OO" kind of just in the toddling stage, growing as it goes. I hope both thrive and survive as I like most of the folks at both places.  And Qt3 as well, though I rarely visit there.
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2004, 06:49:22 PM »

I read Drazzils autobiography on both sites since he cross posted it and it really did take two different directions.  At OO it seemed more supportive and helpful than it did here IMO.

Formerly SJSharks
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2005, 05:09:28 AM »

Quote from: "Jag"
I used to split my time b/t CG and OO, but since the evil IT admins put in websense, CG is blocked as a gaming site. So i mostly hang there now. Except for the 5 minutes i'm actually not at work!

Ooh.  Is my site big enough to be blocked? http://www.talkstrategy.com

On topic, I was here and comfortable before GG died.  I don't have much time to check in on one site, let alone two, but both seem friendly enough.  I'm sure there are cliques on both, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sure it would have been nice if the whole GGF crowd could have stuck together.  It would have been nice if Rich had been able to keep updating GG.  It would have been nice if Joel never left or Bill didn't retire (move).  Time rolls on.

I'm just happy old GGFs have options to find some of what they enjoyed about GG.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
Quote from: "Jag"

Ooh.  Is my site big enough to be blocked? http://www.talkstrategy.com

On topic, I was here and comfortable before GG died.  I don't have much time to check in on one site, let alone two, but both seem friendly enough.  I'm sure there are cliques on both, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sure it would have been nice if the whole GGF crowd could have stuck together.  It would have been nice if Rich had been able to keep updating GG.  It would have been nice if Joel never left or Bill didn't retire (move).  Time rolls on.

I'm just happy old GGFs have options to find some of what they enjoyed about GG.

Thankfully they have taken the system down for now, so i don't know who is blocked yet. I bookmarked your site, so when it goes back up, i can check. Of course then i won't be able to come back here to report  :roll:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: