http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you live - and what's so special about it?  (Read 3822 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2005, 05:13:33 PM »

I live in Amherst, Massachusetts, USA.

It's called the "Five College Area" because, within a fairly small area, there are - you guessed it - five colleges - UMASS, Amherst campus;  Hampshire College; Amherst College; Smith College; and, Mount Holyoke College.

Amherst is a very rural area - with lots of asparagus and cows - but we also have (due to the colleges, and the people they attract) tons of museums, ethnic restaurants, concert halls, and every style of pizza you ever would want!

Amherst residents love the summer - we like the activity of the students, but we love it when they leave and we get the town back.  It's quiet, peaceful, beautiful, relaxing, etc.  It's probably a lot like a beach town when the season is over - except for us, it's summer that's the best!

So, what's your town - and what's it like?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 05:46:02 PM »

Aside from time at college, I grew up and am currently residing at Camas, Washington.  And I love this area.

First off, the west coast rocks, especially the northwest.  It's rainy here, which after living here almost 23 years I really enjoy, and it makes everything so green and lush.  I look outside into the backyard and all I see is green grass, different shaded trees, and foilage.

The area is great too.  Camas is a smaller community, but it's still 15 minutes away from Portland.  We have a city, Vancouver, next to us that is bigger but doesn't have the small-town feel that Camas does.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 06:36:02 PM »

I live on top of s mountain about 15 miles SW of Fayetteville Arkansas in a little place called Hogeye. I'm at the end of a dirt road that's about a mile from the paved road.
It's country livin'. You can do just about anything you want here that doesn't involve dead humn beings. There's trees everywhere,mostly oaks but a lot of hickory and walnut too. There's tons of wild critters of all sorts that live in North American including Bald Eagles,Peregin Flacons,mountain lions,bears,elk,fox,mink and lots of the more common kind of beasties. Most of our "neighbors" have farm animals of one sort or another.In our case we have three goats that eat the weeds and grass of the back yard so I don't have to weedeat it.
There's a law in Arkansas that says every male of driving age must own a pickup truck.They will allow you to get away with an SUV sometimes however.
Many of the people about her have meth labs.I don't know if anybody buys meth around here because everyone who wants it makes their own. Pot used to be popular but planes and helecopters with special equipment were able to locate most of it.
Because of all the greenery it means there's lots of rain and lots of pollen which can play havoc with your sinus's.Temps are fairly mild with 100 degrees once a year in the summer (usually around 90) and lows as low as 5 below zero in the winter(but usually it doesn't get too much lower than the teens).
Wal Mart and Tyson Foods own NW Arkansas with both their founders and headquarters here.(The Waltons aren't too bad of people but Don Tyson is a major jerk).
The last few years there's been a major population boom as many manufacturing plants have moved here for tax breaks and cheap labor(imported legally and illelgally from Mexico).The cost of housing has skyrocketed with the average house costing $150,000 (new) and flat land going for around $5000 a acre. Housing and land was a third of that ten years ago.
The University of Arkansas is located in Fayetteville bringing in many of you strange yougsters.
I have to go now as the goats are butting at the door again.  :shock:

Ye Olde Farte
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 07:16:25 PM »

Wellington, New Zealand. Went to see Star Wars yesterday and Peter Jackson was sitting in the row in front of me.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 07:19:16 PM »

Plano, Texas

...and there's not a darn thing that sets this town apart, it's the completely stereotypical 'burbs. Full of soccer moms in sport utilities, houses too close together, yards too small and strip malls too common.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 08:12:01 PM »

San ANtonio TX

Home of the Alamo, Spurs, Sea World, and Fiesta Texas.  Its hot and humid here almost like the amazon.  Its a big town with a small town feeling.

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »

Rolla, Missouri- Small town of 15000 or so in south central Missouri, home to Univ. of Missouri Rolla, which is primarily engineering oriented. We also have a USGS mapping center, at least for a while longer.  Our main claim to fame is we are fairly close to the Ozark National Scenic Rivers, a couple of beautiful, spring fed, free flowing rivers that are ideal for a lazy float trip.  I've lived here 19  years, no plans to move now.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 10:40:20 PM »

I'm on the ouskirts of Pittsburgh, Pa.

It's a beautiful city with lots of hills and the 3 rivers.

The people are, for the most part, hard-working and friendly.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 11:19:26 PM »

I live in Texas.

Ride em' cowboy.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 11:29:45 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"
Wellington, New Zealand. Went to see Star Wars yesterday and Peter Jackson was sitting in the row in front of me.
That's pretty sweet.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 02:33:14 AM »

Lindenhurst, IL

I'm so close to the Wisconsin border that the wife and I sometimes drive into Kenosha for lunch. I live about 15 minutes from Six Flags Great America, which would be great if I liked roller-coasters. I live 10 minutes from Gurnee Mills, which would be great if I liked walking around a big-ass outlet mall with all of Lake County's white trash. The area where I live was formerly surrounded by fields and is now surrounded by housing developments and retail shopping. Lindenhurst is growing by leaps and bounds, and I doubt that I'll be able to recognize the place in five years. By then, I'll be in Atlanta or Nashville, God willing.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 05:08:22 AM »

Phoenix, AZ.

I moved here because this is where my baby niece lives, which makes it the best place on earth  Cool

I like the warm winters, and don't mind the blistering summers (we're in the middle of a record breaking 110+ heat wave right now).  I like the lack of that daylight savings time nonsense.  I came here from Albuquerque and, even though Phoenix is something like 6 time bigger, it doesn't feel bigger. Traffic sure flows better here than Albuquerque.  If I gave a damn about sports I'd be happy, because apparently we have a bunch of teams here.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 07:21:03 AM »

Ames, IA

Misc. Facts about Ames:
First land-grant university (Iowa State University).
Space food gets designed at ISU.
One of the most popular kinds of roses, Buck roses, were designed and are sold from here.
Ames Lab made the radioactive materials for The Bomb.
The national center for animal disease control is here as well, so we get all the animal parts for testing.
First university-offered course in forestry in America was at ISU .
Most important reason is, of course, that I live here  biggrin

Other than history and research, though, this place is extremely boring.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 07:27:20 AM »

Grand Rapids, MI

Well, it used to be about perfect here.  Not too big, not too small, woods all around the outskirts.

But now the economy has tanked, all the factories are closing up shop and moving to Mexico, India, or China, lots of unemployed, violent crime has skyrocketed in the last 5 years, and development has become so rampant and unchecked, every bit of forest is being hacked down for big houses it seems few can afford.
An 82 year old grandmother  got raped in her house just last week near the zoo,  :cry: and armed bank robbeires which were once never heard of here, are as common as mosquitos.

If I could, I'd move up North.  Cadillac, Ludington, Travese City, or Mackinaw.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 12:45:17 PM »

Chandler, Arizona.

We're close enough to Phoenix to feel the effects of the giant city, but far enough away that it still feels rural in spots.

Our big draw in this state is the 'giant hole in the ground', AKA the Grand Canyon. It's not exactly close by, but it's still close enough that one can visit there and drive back in the same day assuming you leave early enough.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 01:12:17 PM »

Miami FL - I wish I could tell you stuff about Miami, but I'm too damn scared to leave my house.  I never should've left the country.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »

San Antonio, Texas

Wouldn't live any place else (and I've lived in a bunch of different places)

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 03:35:34 PM »

Woodbridge, New Jersey :|

<sound of crickets chirping>

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 04:19:12 PM »

I live in Nagoya, Japan.

It is located in central Japan and is Japan's 5th largest city.

It is quite famous for it's castle.

Also, chicken wings.

And, the Central League defending champion Chunichi Dragons.

Nagoya has more Pachinko machines per capita than any other city in Japan.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 08:22:34 PM »

Slackerjoe, are the pachinko parlors fun?  My Dad brought a pachinko machine back from Japan (he was stationed there in the Air Force), and we loved playing with it as kids.  Of course we broke it frown
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 09:01:02 PM »

I live in Sterling Heights, MI.  Near Detroit.  Locally its known as Sterile Whites for the abundace of older white people here.  I dont think there is really anyting special about sterling heights.  Its a nice middle class area for the most part.  Near one of the larger malls.  Lots of shopping, and not to far from the Selfridge Air National Guard Base.  Which I learned the other day was a major launch point for interceptors to catch bombers if they were to come across the polar region.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 09:45:48 PM »

slackerjoe, dude, hook me up with the latest Ultraman PS2 game, and a couple Godzilla collectible figures  :wink:

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 10:36:40 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
Slackerjoe, are the pachinko parlors fun?  My Dad brought a pachinko machine back from Japan (he was stationed there in the Air Force), and we loved playing with it as kids.  Of course we broke it frown

Was I one of those kids? because i swear I have the same exact story biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »

Quincy, IL.  It's a Mississippi river town of about 45,000.  It's about 20 minutes from Hannibal, MO which is the birthplace of Mark Twain.

Small town, great schools, very low crime.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 11:10:16 PM »

Quote from: "Jag"

Was I one of those kids? because i swear I have the same exact story biggrin

Hehe, really?  So how did you break yours?  My sister was flicking the plunger too fast, and then one of our rowdy cousins jammed it bad.  Then we bent some pins trying to unjam it.  If I had the money I'd buy one for the house.  That'd be an awesome (with full lights and sound) "toy" to have for company to play with!
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 12:37:42 AM »

Personally I can't stand pachinko, becuase the parlors are obnoxiously loud and full of cigarette smoke. Whenever I see parents dragging their little kids or babies into one of those places I want to smack them (the parents, not the kids).  Also I don't like throwing my money away, but many Japanese are addicted to it.

The machines themselves are very cool, with the current generation of machines having combined video displays in the center of the machine, and of course the "flicking mechniasm" is totally automated now (just turn the dial to the trajectory you want and hold it there).

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 12:42:46 PM »

I live in Ft. Worth TX (you know...the part that people forget when they mention Dallas/Ft. Worth ) smile  Remarkable?  I'm starting to think that Ft. Worth is just a giant bedroom community to support Dallas. IT's why I live between the two.

On the upside, I get to watch them build the V-22. smile  Up close.   But only because I work at Bell. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 01:21:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
I live in Ft. Worth TX (you know...the part that people forget when they mention Dallas/Ft. Worth ) smile  Remarkable?  I'm starting to think that Ft. Worth is just a giant bedroom community to support Dallas. IT's why I live between the two.

On the upside, I get to watch them build the V-22. smile  Up close.   But only because I work at Bell. smile

Heh.  I passed a billboard for Bell yesterday that said something along the lines of, "Have your career take flight with us."  Above the text was a big picture of the V-22.  Given my perception of the Osprey program, it seemed a bit of a mixed message, there.  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2005, 02:52:23 PM »

I live in Columbia, Maryland.  What makes it special is that it's a 60's planned community, so it lacks soul in any shape or form.  What it DOES have is lots of the chain stores, and an incredibly high property value (I rent, of course).  Woot.

I live in Ft. Worth TX (you know...the part that people forget when they mention Dallas/Ft. Worth ) smile  

Hey!  I know Fort Worth.  Visit Billy Bob's often?
RashG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »

Helsinki, Finland. It is a beautiful city with great old buildings and suprisingly few people for a capital city.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 03:22:38 PM »

Quote from: "Eightball"

I live in Ft. Worth TX (you know...the part that people forget when they mention Dallas/Ft. Worth ) smile  

Hey!  I know Fort Worth.  Visit Billy Bob's often?

Mmm..Billy Bobs.  known about it for years...Never been.  Too much smoking.  Besides, I'm a computer nut and anime fan.  Why would I go to a bar? smile  (Mmmm.sterotypes. smile )

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 09:32:15 PM »

Quote from: "RashG"
Helsinki, Finland. It is a beautiful city with great old buildings and suprisingly few people for a capital city.

I've heard Finland is a wonderful place to live now the communism is gone there.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 09:42:50 PM »

I live in two places:

Chesapeake, VA, which is very close to Norfolk which more people are familiar with.  That's where my wife, house, and cat  are and where I will be returning to sometime in the next several months.  Home of the world's largest naval base which, being in the Navy, is actually only a small part of why I live there.  The large part is that both my wife and I grew up there and love the area.

San Diego, CA.  Where I'm currently stationed and have an apartment.  Beautiful yet expensive but I'm looking forward to going back to Chesapeake ASAP.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 10:12:52 PM »

This is where we live. smile

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 10:41:56 PM »

Simon, that is BEAUTIFUL!!! Though,  how many sunny days a year do you get?
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 11:38:18 PM »

It's 71 degrees and sunny right now. biggrin

I'm not sure on the exact number but I'm guessing it's probably about half and half. The average monthly rainfall in the Winter is up to 8 inches and closer to 1-2 in the summer. We do get less rainfall than other places though because we're in a rain shadow from the mountains, and whenever it does rain it's pretty much guaranteed to not last more than a couple of hours up to maybe a few days. Usually we just get showers or a drizzle.

By the way, if you click the link in my signature you can see a lot more of where I live.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 12:23:48 AM »

You do get Canucks shopping there though. slywink
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 12:33:58 AM »

I recently lived in Stanwood, Wa (hour south of Bellingham) and now I live in New Orleans and Rochester, NY.  I'm splitting my time.

Best part about Rochester:

Best part about New Orleans:  I'm sure you can guess it. biggrin
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 12:52:40 AM »

I live in a suburb of the Twin Cities up here in the Great White North (Minnesota).  I've lived in the metro area all my life and have spent almost 3 years in my current location.  The city I live in has over 60,000 people in it and I believe it is one of the top ten largest cities in Minnesota.

I guess my claim to fame would be that the Mall of America is about 2 miles away...yet I rarely go to it.  I love where I live because all the major shopping malls/retail stores are not too far away so I don't have to drive nearly as much to get somewhere as I used to where I lived before.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 01:54:57 AM »

I guess my claim to fame would be that the Mall of America is about 2 miles away.

AgtFox - how can you say that when you are surrounded by some of the best ice-fishing anywhere? Malls, ptah!

hmmm, how do they spell spitting anyway?  Ptah didn't seem to quite do it!:?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: