http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 12:50:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did your online name come from?  (Read 3727 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2005, 02:29:50 AM »

As I get to know more people on the site, I get more interested in certain things.  One of them is where/what your Profile Name came from.  If you feel like sharing, please do.

I suppose I will start.  My name actually came from my xbox live name, which is also Lockdown.  That name came from one of my favorite abilities in one of my favorite games, StarCraft.

See the link for reference.

Lockdown

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 02:31:01 AM »

Mine's boring as hell.

Last name.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:41:26 AM »

Okay, if you want the full history:

Soon after David Bowie released The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders of Mars, Marc Bolan and T.Rex released a tongue-in-cheek nod to it, Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow. I like T.Rex and adopted "Zinc Alloy" for a while. When I was living in New York my band always came up with new stage names for everyone each gig. The guitarist one day wrote something referring to "Zinc Kiwi", given I'm from New Zealand, and the name stuck.

You asked.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:49:55 AM »

A long, long, long time ago, there was this PC game called Wing Commander. When the game first booted up, it asked for a callsign.

I put in the name "Destructor", and the rest is history.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:52:54 AM »

Well my other two names were pretty normal. Titan was always taken by someone and BOK is usually too short to a allowable nick so I just used my third favorite name and the one I use in most everything these days. It comes from Hercules and Xena where its spelled Dahak. The evil mono god that wanted to destroy everything. To me the name looked like it would be pronounced Duh Hack so I respelled it to better fit its pronounciation Day Hawk...Daehawk

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 02:56:52 AM »

Erm...well, you see...its my name!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 03:00:08 AM »

CrayolaSmoker and I were in a car heading somewhere. The conversation initially was based on Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice, then brought in varieties of milk. Hey, you had to be there.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 03:00:10 AM »

Goes back to my favorite game, Ascendancy. Game got me into pc gaming in a huge way. Used to play it over and over and over never getting bored of it. So I decided to adopt it as my online moniker.

Ascendent
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 03:01:30 AM »

http://www.gramparsons.com/

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 03:03:25 AM »

First online name I stuck with was Bad_Airplane. A friend of a friend made it up as a band name but I dont think they ever used it. After 9/11 I wanted a different name because I didn't want people to think I was referring to it. I was listening to Melvins "Ozma/Gluey Porch Treatments" a lot at the time so went with the title of one of the songs - Creepy_Smell. It just sounded like a better name than some of the other titles.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 03:21:53 AM »

when i first started playing Quake online almost nine years ago, i needed an in-game name.  i just happened to have my Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream disc in the CD player, and the song 'Disarm' was playing.  i thought "hmm...that could be an interesting gaming name," so i typed it in and have been using it as my online persona ever since.  it's actually turned out to work pretty well because it's not overly popular...don't run into it being  used by someone else as much as i expected Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 03:38:26 AM »

X-Files

Xbox Live: AgtFox
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 03:38:46 AM »

Hoo Boy, here we go:

1 - I have a muscle disorder, Mitochondrial Myopathy, often called "Mito"

2 - When I was young, I greatly admired the Athenian general, Pericles

3 - I wanted to join a forum - and didn't want to be MasterChief9Million, or have every name I tried rejected

4 - One day, I used "Mitocles" on a game save, a teen walked by, and said "What's Mitt-TOK-culls?" - so I changed it to "My" to get it started right at least

5 - I found that very few people of the younger generation have been steeped in the Classical Age, hence - the added pronunciation guide, lol - no offense intended to the rest of you scholars!

Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 03:59:26 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
CrayolaSmoker and I were in a car heading somewhere. The conversation initially was based on Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice, then brought in varieties of milk. Hey, you had to be there.

I don't remember much of the conversation, just that his rapper name was Whiteboy Skim and mine was Heavy Cream.

As far as the nick CrayolaSmoker, the story goes something like this:

Back when I tried college for the first time, I went on a camping trip to Lake Murray, Oklahoma with IVCF. Being young and dumb, I was "making a statement" by carrying around a rolled up dollar bill that I used as a surrogate cigarette. At one point, this cute girl came up to me and asks why I'm smoking a dollar bill. Recalling an old comedy routine I replied, "Would you rather I smoke crayolas?"

"No. It stains your teeth," she shot back.

I was stunned.  Another 18-year-old knew the Smothers Brothers?  And thus began the first conversation I ever had with my wife.

A couple years ago, when trying to figure out a good URL for my personal web site, I recalled the story and registered www.smokingcrayolas.net.  I've been using CrayolaSmoker almost exclusively ever since (abandoning GrafxGnu, which I'd used for almost a decade).

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 03:59:38 AM »

First initials of my names and the year of my birth.

Ye Olde Farte
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 04:32:09 AM »

I lurked around GG for a long while before deciding to join. I'd never had an online or gaming name before, and so my mind went blank when I had to come up with one. As I stared about my desk, my eyes came to a set of headphones for a diskman that were lying beside my monitor. In my mind, "headphones" quickly became "the phones", which became "da phones", which became "dafones". It's that stupid, and it's stuck for the past four or five years.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 05:00:40 AM »

My gaming hobby flared up alongside with my 80s metal phase. Ozzy Osbourne was one of my favorites at the time and one of my favorite songs of his was Mr. Crowley. Well I was trying to decide a handle for the original Tribes game when this song came into rotation. So I put two and two together and its stuck ever since.

It was only later I found out the song was about a satanist who partook regualry in ritual orgies. Not a bad association so I kept it.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 05:41:04 AM »

Crayola Smoker's story is my favorite so far smile

As for me, many years ago I was creating a character for the game Autoduel. I envisioned a guy who was so good with his vehicle it was like they were a blend of man and machine, and people called him "Cyborg". With such an unusual first name, I needed a plain last name. Cyborg Smith? Nah.  Cyborg Jones?  Yeah, that's it.

That name stuck with me for some reason and I used it in a lot of games and in the early days of internet/BBS stuff.  However it was too long, two words, and inappropriate in a lot of settings such as fantasy RPG. So I eventually shortened it to Cyjon. Considering it's origin, I suppose it should be pronounced "sigh-joan" but I say "sigh-john".

As I mentioned on OO recently, I found out years later that Cyjon is actually a surname among Polish Jews (a variation on the word Zion). I occasionally get hits on my site from Polish IP addresses searching "Cyjon" and I even recently got an email from a guy named Cyjon wondering if we were related.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 05:55:10 AM »

Two of my lower teeth protrude over my upper lip to well above my nose.  I have one eye in the center of my forehead.  I like to smash things.  I am two feet tall.

Actually, Ogre has been my handle for online games for... good lord, just about 12 years.  It started with Netrek, where it was simply a pun on the word "ogger".  But I liked it, so it stuck.  The "tiny" was added when I made a character that only flew scouts (the smallest ship).  Then it started getting added whenever "Ogre" was already taken (in contexts where names can be taken) or when the mood struck me.

It's all lower case because it's tinier that way.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 06:34:36 AM »

Once I decided to register a username for GoneGold, we were learning about evolution and whatnot in school.  Plus, people said I looked like a monkey.  And the "missing link" was a monkey-man...or something.  I believe.

I think it comes across as a bit elitest...like I think I'm needed to fill the void, or something.  So I don't really like it all that much.  I go by different nick's everywhere (shortened to TML for UT2k4, addybojangles IRL and in nearly everything else).

So in short, I kind of look like a monkey.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:58 AM »

One of my friends mudded and made a character named after me....

Named him Semaj...

about a year later he gave me the character and I ended up becoming semi legendary on that mud for pkilling damn near everything that moved without ever dying...  and a few other sordrid affairs... lol...

So it's stuck

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 12:19:11 PM »

Ever since my days of computer gaming, born with Wing Commander, I have always had the word "star" in my callsign in some form.  Hence, Star for the first part.  My technique/ability to suddenly turn my starfighter in games like Wing Commander to avoid incoming missles and turn back on my enemy I term as shifting.  Hence, Starshifter.  It's an homage to the best set of games I have ever played:  the Wing Commander series!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 12:30:19 PM »

I couldn't think of anything, so for some reason I thought of algebra and taking something to the nth degree or the "Nth Power".  N is the first letter in my name, so I went with it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 01:12:10 PM »

Well, originally, I used Spectre when I was exploring theFt. Worth (817 area code) BBS scene.  What can I say, it was my favorite tank game on the Mac. smile   When I started my own Renegade BBS named "The Matrix" (I was on a Gibson reading binge, and I finally comprehended Neuromancer and Burning Chrome), I felt that Spectre was too simple, and most of the RPG names I had didn't work.  Then I hit upon Dreamshadow.  It was a self inspired moment.  It's a shame it's longer than my real name.   Most people just use Tom. smile  I've had that one since I was thirteen.  Not about to change it....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 01:22:53 PM »

c is for cooper, o is for obnoxious... the rest is a drunken college haze.

coop + supersonic = coopasonic.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 01:24:57 PM »

The greatest franchise in the history of the NHL.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 01:29:28 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
The greatest franchise in the history of the NHL.

Very questionable.  Very, very questionable.  Sporadically winning a few cups over a few billion years does not a great franchise make.  Now, let's look at some REAL dynasty's:

Montreal Canadiens
New York Islanders
Edmonton Oilers

Hmmmm.  Each winning at least four cups IN A ROW!!! :wink:

Devil - You have my permission to change your handle from Devil to Islander.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
c is for cooper, o is for obnoxious... the rest is a drunken college haze.

coop + supersonic = coopasonic.

Yes, but coop + Sonic = a well fed coop.  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »

My first nickname was Odyn.  I chose it for IRC use back in highschool some 10 years or so ago.  It was based from my favorite video game character.  Odin from Phantasy Star.  I just changed the "i" to a "y" because I thought I was being original.  :roll:  I still use it today for naming RPG characters.

By the time I got interested in forums I felt a change was needed.  So between my time spent in the military, a bumper sticker, and the results of my recent dietary endeavors (or lack there of as the case may be).  I give you, an ArmyOfOne.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 01:44:57 PM »

Hmmm....well..."Knightshade" came from the deadly toxic plant Nightshade but I wanted the double meaning with the "Knight" part.  On top of that I'm Ultima Dragon #13 so the addition of Dragon was a no brainer. Thus, Knightshade Dragon.  (I get called KS, KSD, or Knight all the time though)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 01:58:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Well, originally, I used Spectre when I was exploring theFt. Worth (817 area code) BBS scene.  What can I say, it was my favorite tank game on the Mac. smile

That was a very cool game.  I thought I was the only person who played it.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 02:02:39 PM »

Bulletpig comes from my high school days of hair bands.  Some friends and I had front row seats to a concert and the BulletBoys were an opening act.  We didn't care for them before the show but after seeing them live they were cool as hell.

Anyway I saw them on MTV (when they were playing music still) and during that interview the bass player always referred to themselves as the Bulletpigs.  I thought that name was really cool and since I was one of the few people that actually liked that band my friends started calling me Bulletpig.  So when this Internet thing hit and I needed a name this just fit.

The great thing is that I have yet to have a problem obtaining the name during online games, forums, etc.  Hell I even named my side web design business Bulletpig Productions.

I also use Mad Hatter sometimes for things because that was name of our band in high school.  The problem with Mad hatter though is that it is much more commonly used.  I think there is even someone here that uses that name.

Pig
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »

Very questionable. Very, very questionable. Sporadically winning a few cups over a few billion years does not a great franchise make. Now, let's look at some REAL dynasty's:

Montreal Canadiens
New York Islanders
Edmonton Oilers

Hmmmm. Each winning at least four cups IN A ROW!!!  

In a row? That's easy! Try taking a year off here and there and win them in between.

I'm counting the '05 Cup that they would have won if there was a season too!

The New Dynasty!  :twisted:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »

'tis my initials, not very original, but useful. Started using it in the early pac-man/space invaders coin-op days. 3 spaces for 3 initials.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 06:53:16 PM »

Doopri1 is my profile name because when i first registered for forums here, i put in Doopri but when i entered my email address i forgot the .mail - hence i could never get the registration thing and there is a phantom Doopri - i had to add the damned 1 frown

Doopri is my live tag and comes from a custom halo game we made on the original blood gultch, all vehicles rocket launchers only - we called it Doopri Scoo (pronounced like dupe as in start of duplicate - ree - scu like scuba without a ba)

i dont know where the name came from, prob from bein entirely too blazed - but man did ya hafta doopri scoo round that map to stay alive in those conditions
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 07:18:06 PM »

It isn't too hard to change your username if you want.  I can do it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2005, 07:43:11 PM »

I`m a HUGE phish fan. "Me and Harpua..." It`s a phish song, simple as that.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2005, 08:35:30 PM »

The first part of my name, Fireball, comes from my summer a staff member at Boy Scout camp. Apparently, I developed something of a reputation for having a temper, and thus was renamed "Fireball."

The next fall, when I first signed onto AOL, I adopted that as my nom de Net, as FireballKM -- my nickname and my initials.

When I went to college, I joined a fraternity. My scroll number for my House was Alpha Phi 1244. Being all "Go Teke!" at the time, I dropped my initials and put my scroll number at the end, and thus Fireball1244 has been my most-used nick for, well, everything, since about 1997.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2005, 09:33:55 PM »

I used to play in a band with a dude who is 6'2" or so and, being shorter than 6'2" and Chinese, he'd call me Little Dragon (damn racist slywink).

When I got an Integra in the mid-90s, I thought it'd be cool to have a personal plate. You get three choices. At the time, I was big into the X-Files, so these were what I chose:

1. SPOOKY (Fox Mulder's nickname)
2. TRSTNO1 (the X-Files tagline)
3. LILDRGN

Guess what stuck? I use it on my forum sites and it still is on my car.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2005, 10:25:28 PM »

First name, last name initial.  Booooorrrrriiiiinnnnnggggg.  I am no good at coming up with clever stuff like that.  Actually bugs me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: