http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When will the price of gasoline change your habits?  (Read 5618 times)
Kratz
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »

Now that it's starting to (slowly) warm up, I'm going to be biking to work a lot.  It'll be good for my gut too.

Also, there's no way we're touring in the summer this year... that's where the gas prices really start to get murderous.  It cost us like $450 to get back from Chicago last month. Ouch.
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on April 25, 2008, 04:59:19 PM

I recently (six months ago) purchased a new car with mpg in mind (went from about 15 to 38).

Am considering a new job within biking distance of our home.  Compare that to a daily 47.7 mile commute...

[current job] 47.7 * 5 * 50 = 11925 mi/year (commute + incidentals)
[consideration] 150 mi/year (running around that'd normally be done during the commute)

11925 - 150 = 11775 mi / 38 mpg * $3.75/gal = $1162 difference per year.

So it's costing me about $100/month (or ~$35 per paycheck) to commute to my current job vs. taking one within biking distance.  That's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

It's not just the cost of the commute. Would you rather not be driving that distance each day? I hate driving, no matter how little it costs me.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »

The price of gas hasn't changed much for me other than I buy less fun things like games.  I drive a Jeep Cherokee that gets about 17 mpg, work is about a 40 mile round trip commute, but I only make it every other week.  While a new more efficient vehicle would be nice, my Jeep is paid off.  I wouldn't save enough in gas to cover a new car payment.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »

Damn price of gas drove me to build a still so I could make ethanol.  Unfortunately, after getting about 100 gallons of the stuff I realized my car won't run on ethanol.  I got so damn frustrated that I just tried shoving ears of corn into the gas tank.  Now I've got to explain to my mechanic why there's 12 bushels jammed into my toyota.  wouldn't be so bad if i hadn't just taken the stupid car in for repairs after my impromptu experiment with using hydrogen...which i now realize you can't get from any old circus bought balloon that floats. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 25, 2008, 04:56:38 PM

Yeah my airport is only 30 mins away.  And if I do that (or go to my actual corp office, which is an hour away), I get to expense that mileage anyway.

gellar

Yep, same here, though I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote the post.  Life is good.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 05:36:30 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 25, 2008, 05:04:07 PM

Quote from: The Meal on April 25, 2008, 04:59:19 PM

So it's costing me about $100/month (or ~$35 per paycheck) to commute to my current job vs. taking one within biking distance.  That's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

It's not just the cost of the commute. Would you rather not be driving that distance each day? I hate driving, no matter how little it costs me.

I actually enjoy the commute (though don't appreciate the time-loss).  The move to the new vehicle was done partially for mpg reasons, but also partially for butt-in-seat enjoyment.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 25, 2008, 04:28:20 PM

Shutting off my engine at some stop lights

You use extra gas to start the engine up again, but even if we take that out of the equation the best number I could find on the internets says that the average car burns .15 gallons per hour when idling.  If your stop light lasts 5 whole minutes, that's .0125 gallons, or about 6 cents worth if gas was $5/gallon.  If you spend 30 minutes idling every day all year, that'd add up to $130 a year.

I guess that's a non-zero amount to save each year, but is it worth losing your power steering, power brakes, and ability to immediately hit the gas in the case of an emergency?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 05:43:52 PM »

I read somewhere that UPS had remapped their routes so that their drivers only took right turns, which would explain why I never get anything from them since their people are driving in circles. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 25, 2008, 05:38:55 PM

You use extra gas to start the engine up again, but even if we take that out of the equation the best number I could find on the internets says that the average car burns .15 gallons per hour when idling.  If your stop light lasts 5 whole minutes, that's .0125 gallons, or about 6 cents worth if gas was $5/gallon.  If you spend 30 minutes idling every day all year, that'd add up to $130 a year.

I guess that's a non-zero amount to save each year, but is it worth losing your power steering, power brakes, and ability to immediately hit the gas in the case of an emergency?

I'm sandwiched in between cars and going nowhere. I can count the times I've needed to move in an emergency when stopped at a light in my 31 years of driving on a finger and thumb-less persons hand. Turning off my engine may save me a little $, but it's the big picture too. If more people did it, we save tons of gasoline and pollute less. But getting any sizable portion of the population in America to do it is completely futile. People just don't care. I do.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »

My commute isn't too bad (17 miles each way), but Mrs. Gratch has to drive a lot for her job (probably 60-80 miles/day, on average).  Her company recently changed their policy so instead of getting paid mileage from home to the store (she works at a different store every day), they now only get paid for anything over 20 miles.  Even with the ridiculous increase in gas prices, her company hasn't increased the mileage reimbursement amount by a penny in over a year.  Fuckers.

I find I have a lot less money for cool shit now that it's all going into our goddamn gas tanks.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 25, 2008, 05:43:52 PM

I read somewhere that UPS had remapped their routes so that their drivers only took right turns, which would explain why I never get anything from them since their people are driving in circles. slywink

Years ago UPS also implemented a policy that states no matter how short of a stop a driver makes, he MUST turn off his engine. It saves them millions a year in fuel costs, and that policy was put in place back when gasoline was less than $1.50 a gallon.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 25, 2008, 05:44:20 PM

I'm sandwiched in between cars and going nowhere. I can count the times I've needed to move in an emergency when stopped at a light in my 31 years of driving on a finger and thumb-less persons hand. Turning off my engine may save me a little $, but it's the big picture too. If more people did it, we save tons of gasoline and pollute less. But getting any sizable portion of the population in America to do it is completely futile. People just don't care. I do.

No.  It is less safe to have your engine shut off.  It probably isn't going to save much gas and IANAM but it will probably shorten the lifespan of certain parts of your car due to cranking it so much more.
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »

We eat out a little less or more fast food and less "more expensive" restaurants. We cut out unnecessary trips into town.
I'm paying about $100 more a month for gas than "normal" for 2 cars.

Roll Tide!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 05:52:04 PM »

Quote from: Austin on April 25, 2008, 05:47:34 PM

No.  It is less safe to have your engine shut off.  It probably isn't going to save much gas and IANAM but it will probably shorten the lifespan of certain parts of your car due to cranking it so much more.

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, and the consensus is that if you're stopped for more than 10 seconds, it's better to turn off your engine. Did you know NYC has had an idling law for five years? Not that anyone cares.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 25, 2008, 05:52:04 PM

Quote from: Austin on April 25, 2008, 05:47:34 PM

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, and the consensus is that if you're stopped for more than 10 seconds, it's better to turn off your engine. Did you know NYC has had an idling law for five years? Not that anyone cares.

On a quick scan on Google I've seen people say everything from 7 seconds to 30 seconds to a minute.  Open loop vs closed loop and all sorts of vehicle dependent things.  I hope and pray that a shutdown for 7 seconds doesn't take off.  I miss enough greens due to people not paying attention, now add in a line of people forgetting to start their car first.  Of course I guess I could buy stock in Big Battery.

Oh and, no it hasn't really changed our habits.  I still have a 19 miles drive to work and back and my wife still huals the kids to preschool etc...  I guess we have had to budget more for it but it's been shuffling things around a bit.  We mention the gas costs for long trips but we don't base our decision to go on those mentionings.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:00:27 PM by Austin » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »

I can count the times I've needed my seatbelt and driver's side airbag on that same hand, but I'm still very glad to have them.

But let's take safety out of the equation and just do it for mother earth.

If my math is right, if you drive a 50mpg car just 10 miles each way to work, assuming that .15gal/h figure for idling you would have to spend 160 minutes idling your car at stoplights to equal the gas savings of spending one day carpooling, biking to work, taking public transportation, or working from home.

edit: Ok, the Prius was a bad example since they automatically turn off the engine at stops. slywink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:19:47 PM by wonderpug » Logged
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2008, 06:21:11 PM »

I'm probably changing my driving habits this summer. Not only because of the projected increase of gas to 4 bucks a pop this summer, but because I've a developing parking shortage situation going on. Once I finish this class I'm taking this semester (which has me driving straight to it after work twice a week), I'm going to take the Light Rail 3-4 times a week this summer. That'll save me on gas costs and parking hassle.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »

My last job I was able to ride a bike to, my current job is too far a ride to do without having showers available when I get here.  MPG and decent storage capacity were my two priorities when buying a new car last year and my Pontiac Vibe handles both very well.  I get 26 MPG at worst and 35 MPG at best, and with as long a commute as I have the amount I'm saving in gas over my old van is almost equal to my monthly payments.

The cost of the gas doesn't bother me too much because if I wasn't spending it on that it'd be something else I need even less.  Really, commuting for 45 minutes to an hour in rush our traffic each way is a MUCH bigger motivator for me to move closer to work than I already live.  My time and sanity are worth a lot more to me than another $3 off my gas tank.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »

My wife drives an SUV to work and is paying about $50 a week to fill that sucker up. She's finally noting that its a lot of money. Much to her reluctance she has asked to drive my car (Chevy Cavalier) to work instead. I was all over that deal. But instead of me commuting with her SUV I have somehow convinced her that I should purchase a Vespa GTS (70mpg) and commute with that.

I'm love'n the rise in gas prices.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »

I'm driving a paid off 2002 Saturn that gets 30mgp city and pushes toward 40mpg when more highway travel is involved.  The car also has yet to hit 70,000 miles on it, so no need to replace it anytime soon.  At $35 a fill-up, gas can go a lot higher before it really impacts me. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »

I work at home, and only need to drive about 5 miles a day to pick up and deliver packages. Add in discretionary trips, and I burn about 10-12 gallons a month. So I'm pretty insensitive to price.

My wife works at home 3-4 days a week and commutes a 50-mile round trip 1-2 days per week. She burns around 25 gallons per month. Again, an extra 50 cents per gallon doesnt make much difference.

Our unnecessary driving peaks in August when we take both of our cars to the Berkshires -- hers because we need the cargo capacity, and mine because it's fun to drive. I'd say we burn 20 unnecessary gallons that week. If gasoline gets crazy expensive, we could theoretically leave the fun car home and just take the Lesboru. It's hard to imagine that really happening, though. Driving the Miata on mountain two-lanes is one of the highlights of the vacation...and we like having the option of one of us making a daytrip back to Boston if necessary for work. Other than that, we're still pretty casual about unnecessary driving because the distances involved are so short. Virtually everything we want or need is within a 5-mile radius of home. During the summer I frequently walk or ride my bike on errands, just for pleasure and the exercise. 

She is going to replace both her job and her car in the next six months, though. Since she might very well end up commuting five days a week again, we will buy a more-efficient vehicle, although that won't be our overriding consideration.

Bottom line is that gas prices would really have to skyrocket to change our current habits -- I'm talking at least $5 -- but our changing habits are probably going to change this equation before long.

Food price inflation is a much bigger problem for our budget.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »

** Perspective Check **

You guys have no idea what real diesel (lets call it by its proper name smile ) actually is

6 months ago it was 95p a litre its now 1.18ish a litre and still rising rapidly.

Putting that in your figures. 4.54 litres in a gallon and 2$ in he £ so.

From about $8.50 to a shade under $11 a gallon in 6 months. Outrageous prices.

In terms of to fill them up, my friend had a 5 series BMW - he put in 160$ worth of fuel. My car will easily take 140$

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »

I work from home and can walk to lunch..  Realistically the price of gas has little bearing on my daily activity, but I find myself driving my more efficient car (about 28 MPG and ULEV) these days just because psychologically I'd rather spend more than less to fill it up, and I'd rather conserve than waste. 

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2008, 12:23:52 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 26, 2006, 09:30:41 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X
Quote from: hepcat
damn price of gas has already changed my usual routine...

...killings are down in my neighborhood by 75 percent!

Tongue
Drive-by bike killings may rise... AS I'M INVADING WITH MY RAT PATROL GANG!

Yeah, it was almost a joke.

Can't you PEOPLE BE SERIOUS??? I mean, come ON. Driveby shootings are down ... sheesh. Yeah, RIGHT.

It's not like the cost of bullets has gone up.

not to mention, people doing drivebys will just steal gas if it gets too high..
l
As for changing my driving habits, I have.... I drive a LOT more now...

I just got a promotion and have to go to 12 different locations throughout the week.

I drive either a:
92 sentra
01 sportage
05 H2
I do however get paid mileage and even if I drove the H2, would have enough to pay for the gas (although it would kill the extra for maintenance)

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2008, 12:26:45 AM »

Quote from: Tals on April 25, 2008, 07:57:00 PM

** Perspective Check **

You guys have no idea what real diesel (lets call it by its proper name smile ) actually is

6 months ago it was 95p a litre its now 1.18ish a litre and still rising rapidly.

In terms of to fill them up, my friend had a 5 series BMW - he put in 160$ worth of fuel. My car will easily take 140$

You realize that by the time gas is $10/gal in the US you will be paying like $30, right?    icon_biggrin

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2008, 02:42:28 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 25, 2008, 07:29:36 PM

My wife drives an SUV to work and is paying about $50 a week to fill that sucker up. She's finally noting that its a lot of money. Much to her reluctance she has asked to drive my car (Chevy Cavalier) to work instead. I was all over that deal. But instead of me commuting with her SUV I have somehow convinced her that I should purchase a Vespa GTS (70mpg) and commute with that.

I'm love'n the rise in gas prices.

My wife was not thrilled at all when I imposed the car switch a couple years ago. She loved her pretty, loaded van, and I actually enjoyed my ancient (1990) Mazda 626. Just a couple days ago she drove the van for the first time in about a month and said she hated it. She's gotten used to the small car and loves the visibility and having something that is easy to park. I miss driving my Mazda because I also like a small car, but I don't mind driving the van because I only drive it 25-35 miles a week to/from work.

Looking forward to an electric car one of these days....

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2008, 07:09:49 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 26, 2008, 12:26:45 AM

Quote from: Tals on April 25, 2008, 07:57:00 PM

** Perspective Check **

You realize that by the time gas is $10/gal in the US you will be paying like $30, right?    icon_biggrin

lol yeah, i', not sure at what time it becomes economically impossible. At the moment our mileage as a family has reduced so we're not feeling the effect that much. But others must be.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »

Gas prices have soared out of control. It used to cost me $20 to fill up my tank, now it's costing over $40. I do a LOT of driving (just drove from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta and I'm going back in a few days) I don't think I can take as many road trips anymore. When Bush took office gas was around $1.00 a gallon. Here we are 8 years later and gas has skyrocketed to record highs under his administration. The price of everything, except our salaries, have gone up.

At least in the UK even though their gas prices are worse, there's a strike and protests going on about the fuel costs.. what's going on here in the US? People keep handing over the big bucks for these insane gas prices like nothing has changed. I usually strke up a conversation with whoever's next to me at the pump (usually ends up being an older dude) and I'll say gas prices have climbed out of control. He'll agree and then I'll say I remember when gas was $1.19 a gallon, feeling pretty old about it. Then he'll say "I remember when gas was 26 cents a gallon!" and it makes me feel a little younger.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 27, 2008, 01:51:21 PM

Then he'll say "I remember when gas was 26 cents a gallon!" and it makes me feel a little younger.

24.9 cents per gallon the first time I bought it. I remember because I got change back from my quarter when I filled my minibike's 0.7 gallon gas tank.  icon_lol

Our family used to go for Sunday drives -- just drive around for the pleasure of it. There was a whole lot less traffic then, too. I imagine Sunday drives went away about the time a gallon of gas hit a buck. I wonder if the derogative "Sunday driver" has passed away, too.

Now go ahead and feel really young. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »

I've taken to setting up roadblocks to stop unguarded gasoline and food convoys and also ambushing lone drivers who stop to see why my helicopter's parked by the side of the road, seemingly abandoned.
-- The Gyro Captain

p.s. I got a recipe for snake. Delicious. Fricassee of reptile. You are what you eat.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on April 27, 2008, 03:50:13 PM

I've taken to setting up roadblocks to stop unguarded gasoline and food convoys and also ambushing lone drivers who stop to see why my helicopter's parked by the side of the road, seemingly abandoned.
-- The Gyro Captain

p.s. I got a recipe for snake. Delicious. Fricassee of reptile. You are what you eat.

icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 27, 2008, 01:51:21 PM

At least in the UK even though their gas prices are worse, there's a strike and protests going on about the fuel costs.. what's going on here in the US? People keep handing over the big bucks for these insane gas prices like nothing has changed. I usually strke up a conversation with whoever's next to me at the pump (usually ends up being an older dude) and I'll say gas prices have climbed out of control. He'll agree and then I'll say I remember when gas was $1.19 a gallon, feeling pretty old about it. Then he'll say "I remember when gas was 26 cents a gallon!" and it makes me feel a little younger.

I think you are misinformed as to the reason for the strike and we have zero protests occuring. The reason for the strike is down to pensions and zero todo with anything oil related - although it will cause the prices to go up even further here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7366367.stm

Tals

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

We don't go to our friends on the other side of the river nearly as much. Both of our vehicles get from 25 - 28 mpg highway, so it's not terrible, but I do miss my sentra with over 30 mpg.

What did change was the use of a Fuel Card with a rebate, first 60 days we get 10%, after that 5% - that will help immensely.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on April 27, 2008, 05:11:49 PM

We don't go to our friends on the other side of the river nearly as much. Both of our vehicles get from 25 - 28 mpg highway, so it's not terrible, but I do miss my sentra with over 30 mpg.

What did change was the use of a Fuel Card with a rebate, first 60 days we get 10%, after that 5% - that will help immensely.

See maybe that is why you guys feel it more than us. My worst car is 45mpg, my other car hits almost 60mpg - so some good does come about where prices of fuel become unbearable.

Tals

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 27, 2008, 06:26:18 PM

See maybe that is why you guys feel it more than us. My worst car is 45mpg, my other car hits almost 60mpg - so some good does come about where prices of fuel become unbearable.

I'm guessing you're not in the USA. What kind of cars do you have?

What cars in the USA get 60mpg? None. That's part of our problem.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »

Seat Alhambra (same as a Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan) - people carrier gets around 44mpg - so I exagerated 1mpg smile

Honda Civic - small/medium car gets 60mpg on a good run but always over 50mpg

Both diesel of course

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »

Diesels! That certainly helps. Other countries have had diesel small cars for many years, but not the USA (we've had a few, but they've never stayed around). I remember riding in a very nice small diesel sedan in Israel back in 1998. The owner said the government gave out incentives to buy diesel cars, so they were very popular.

I'm wondering what's going to happen in the next year or so with the advent of many high MPG diesel cars slated to hit the USA right as diesel prices have soared past all other gas prices. Will the higher price nullify buying the high MPG diesel? Who knows...

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »

I think it depends on the mileage you do. The higher the mileage the offset kicks in. bear in mind diesels tend to be more expensive to purchase initially as well. I think the equation over here was you had todo around 18K miles a year to see the benefit. Although if your cars are seeing less than 30 then it doesn't take too much to see the gain by almost doubling that.

Tals

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2008, 02:37:23 AM »

How do you like the look of this?

Saw this in someone's Yosemite pictures.  Prices are jacked up for the tourists of course, but damn....

(HBZ)
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:15 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 27, 2008, 07:33:07 PM

Diesels! That certainly helps. Other countries have had diesel small cars for many years, but not the USA (we've had a few, but they've never stayed around). I remember riding in a very nice small diesel sedan in Israel back in 1998. The owner said the government gave out incentives to buy diesel cars, so they were very popular.

I'm wondering what's going to happen in the next year or so with the advent of many high MPG diesel cars slated to hit the USA right as diesel prices have soared past all other gas prices. Will the higher price nullify buying the high MPG diesel? Who knows...

Our emission restrictions make it difficult to sell diesel cars here, Even as we get more low sulfur fuel, it can be hard for european manufacturers to qualify.  Unfortunately, you have to pay a premium for a diesel engine, and a premium for diesel gas, so you're doubly screwed.  Of course, you can always go B100 but it screws your warranty.  My current diesel wishlist includes the V6 TDI Touareg which is about to debut in the US (albeit with less torque and hp because of accomodations made for emissions).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: