http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel of Time beginning to the end.  (Read 2874 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »

Book 13 is done and man was it good. So many things get resolved that it's hard to keep track of them all. Everything is now in place for the last battle.

Here are my hopes

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm still hoping the Seanchan get what is coming to them, Rand could ruin their entire society by proving to the masses that the Sul-Dame can channel. I also hope Rand takes the time to go back and kick Taim's ass. Finally I hope Perrin lives through all of this, the prophecy at the end of part 13 made it seem like he would die prior to the last battle.

Also, I'm curious to finally see the reveal about the prior ages, hints have been given that the society was highly advanced, so how advanced were they? I want to know dammit.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »

I just started up book 4 again (xmas was bizzy). 20 min of reading.

At the part where bubbles of evil hit Tear - Rand just did this:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »

finally got back to this with book 3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2013, 01:40:53 AM »

I haven't updated my progress here in a while, but I finished book six last week and started seven a couple days ago. I'm a little over half way through #7 already thanks to holiday traveling, and will be venturing into new territory soon. I picked up book eight when it was first published but never got started on it all those years ago.

I am still enjoying the series and looked forward to starting each new book...will find out soon if that interest holds up through what so many people claim is a low point over the next couple books...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2013, 05:03:09 AM »

Low point is relative though - it may not be the best of the series, but it isn't bad - just slow.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 31, 2013, 01:40:53 AM

I haven't updated my progress here in a while, but I finished book six last week and started seven a couple days ago. I'm a little over half way through #7 already thanks to holiday traveling, and will be venturing into new territory soon. I picked up book eight when it was first published but never got started on it all those years ago.

I am still enjoying the series and looked forward to starting each new book...will find out soon if that interest holds up through what so many people claim is a low point over the next couple books...

pretty much the same.  I think I started reading 8 but never got through it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »

Read faster people!!! icon_biggrin
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »

I finished up the final book last night. To sum it up I thought it was fantastic. How a person can write 900 pages of almost nonstop battle scenes and manage to make it interesting the entire time is beyond me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While the Wheel of Time is no were near as bloody as other works, it did get messy at the end, Egwyn dead, 3 of the 4 generals, Over 50% of the Aes Sedai, all of the forsaken except Moghadein.

Which reminds me, I liked it when I thought Moghadein got killed by cannon balls, I wish he would have left it that way. Instead those dirty Seanchan got her. Which of course reminds me that Rand never did get around to straightening them out, I thought Mat was going to do it when he sent Aurthur Hawkwing to talk to Tuon, but we never see that conversation or hear how it went. Too bad

Still the book was a great wrap up to what turned out to be a really outstanding fantasy series. I particularly like that Rand was allowed to live and move on to what we assume is a normal life.

I know this isn't going to happen, but I would really like to see a story about the Ail taking on the Seanchan and beating the shit out of them.

My final thoughts are that if anyone is stuck in the middle parts of this series I implore you to read on. Get past book 10 and finish the series because the last act is awesome.

Now to decide what to read next, I haven't read anything else by Sanderson, so maybe I will check out the mystborn series, any thoughts?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

I have found Sanderson to be one of the better new fantasy writers out there.  Great choice by Jordans estate to grab him for the series wrap up.  I can highly recommend Sanderson's Way of Kings.  Its the first in an epic series ( I believe its planned for ten books ) It starts off a bit scattered as there are a number of important characters in various areas of the world that hes drawing together. Once it gets going though, its a fantastic read.  Book two is due out in March I believe.  The Mistborn series is very good as well, I think you'll enjoy it. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Zaxxon

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »

I'm into book 11, here... Slow and steady.
disarm

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »

I'm about halfway through book seven now. I made it to the the end of seven years ago and purchased book eight as soon as it was released, but I never read it. I've really enjoyed my reread so far and am looking forward to entering new territory soon.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 09, 2014, 09:51:41 PM

I'm about halfway through book seven now. I made it to the the end of seven years ago and purchased book eight as soon as it was released, but I never read it. I've really enjoyed my reread so far and am looking forward to entering new territory soon.

If you go into books 9 and 10 thinking they will suck you should be ok. It's not that they suck, it's just that they really could have been 1 book. After 10 it's all good.

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2014, 03:24:44 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 09, 2014, 03:22:40 PM

I finished up the final book last night. To sum it up I thought it was fantastic. How a person can write 900 pages of almost nonstop battle scenes and manage to make it interesting the entire time is beyond me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While the Wheel of Time is no were near as bloody as other works, it did get messy at the end, Egwyn dead, 3 of the 4 generals, Over 50% of the Aes Sedai, all of the forsaken except Moghadein.

Which reminds me, I liked it when I thought Moghadein got killed by cannon balls, I wish he would have left it that way. Instead those dirty Seanchan got her. Which of course reminds me that Rand never did get around to straightening them out, I thought Mat was going to do it when he sent Aurthur Hawkwing to talk to Tuon, but we never see that conversation or hear how it went. Too bad

Still the book was a great wrap up to what turned out to be a really outstanding fantasy series. I particularly like that Rand was allowed to live and move on to what we assume is a normal life.

I know this isn't going to happen, but I would really like to see a story about the Ail taking on the Seanchan and beating the shit out of them.

My final thoughts are that if anyone is stuck in the middle parts of this series I implore you to read on. Get past book 10 and finish the series because the last act is awesome.

Now to decide what to read next, I haven't read anything else by Sanderson, so maybe I will check out the mystborn series, any thoughts?

Did you read New Spring?  I started it after finishing the series and am having trouble getting through it.  I like the story but

Spoiler for Hiden:
I find myself getting so sad.  It's a prequel so like half the people you meet are going to end up dead.  I find it easier to read now, about 5 months after I finished the series.  It's weird - those characters have been in my life for 20 years - longer than I've known my wife.  Having the series end that way, while very cool, was also kind of rough.  smile
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

Quote from: stessier on January 10, 2014, 03:24:44 PM

Quote from: Scraper on January 09, 2014, 03:22:40 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Did you read New Spring?  I started it after finishing the series and am having trouble getting through it.  I like the story but

Spoiler for Hiden:
I find myself getting so sad.  It's a prequel so like half the people you meet are going to end up dead.  I find it easier to read now, about 5 months after I finished the series.  It's weird - those characters have been in my life for 20 years - longer than I've known my wife.  Having the series end that way, while very cool, was also kind of rough.  smile

No I didn't read it yet. I'm debating it, but I knew it would be a downer so I haven't bought it yet.

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 10, 2014, 04:37:14 PM

No I didn't read it yet. I'm debating it, but I knew it would be a downer so I haven't bought it yet.

To be clear, New Spring is not.  It's actually an interesting look at what went on before.  I really wish they would finish the planned trilogy.  I'd say it's more jarring jumping back to 20 years before EotW.  Definitely read it at some point.  smile
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »

After a drop in my available reading time recently, I finally finished Book 9 a few days ago...was a pretty uneventful addition to the series with the exception of one major scene at the very end, but Jordan was a good enough writer that it for the most part never really felt like a slog to get through. I'll be starting Crossroads of Twilight soon (the remaining supposed low point in the series) and am still enjoying it overall. My original goal was to finish by the end of this year...with life getting in the way of reading a bit more recently, l'll see how it goes...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: