http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel of Time beginning to the end.  (Read 2396 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »

I know there are a bunch of WoT threads out there, but I couldn't find one specifically about starting to read the series now that it is complete.

Back in January I started the series all over from Book 1. In the early 90s I read books 1-3 then decided to stop until it was done. At the time I was a teenager and I found the books to be a bit too long and detailed. Now that I'm in my 30s I decided to give it another crack.

So far I have managed to read one book per month, and I just wrapped up book 6 last night. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The first 4 books were excellent I don't feel like they drug on at all. The plot developed, Rand came into his own, things happened. 5-6 were also good, but I can see the complaint that the books start to move too slow.

Seriously as of the end of book 6 Rand has been gearing up to Kill Samael for over 2000 pages, and it appears like we will have to read at least 1000 more pages before he even confronts the guy.

Yes the skirt smoothing and braid pulling is abundant, but it doesn't bother me. I feel like the characters are advancing enough that I can over look those things.

So going into books 7-9 I know I have to slog to get to the good stuff at the end. But reading them all back to back seems to help. I can keep track of the characters and try to anticipate what will happen next. I'll let you know what I think of book 7 at the end of the month.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:15:16 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »

Are you familiar with Martin or Abercrombie?

Is WoT similiar?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 02, 2013, 06:11:38 PM

Is WoT similiar?

WoT is no where near as bloody as Martin (or at least isn't in the first 8 books).  Not sure if I'd say it's similar to Abercrombie, but I've only read one of his books. 

ATB, if you haven't read them but like those two you might want to check out The Black Company series.  the link goes to a collection of the first 3 books, and there are 3 more collections of the remaining 7 books.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

I've recently began my push to finish WoT after making it through the first seven books roughly 15 years ago. I was waiting for book 8 at that time, picked up the hardcover when it was released, and never got around to reading it. I eventually decided to just put it all off until the series was complete.

Fast forward to the present day, and I've started again, determined to make it to the end. I just recently started book 2 and hope to finish sometime early next year. I'm confident that I can read a book a month, but I will probably squeeze a few other things in between...will see how it goes...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

Is WoT similiar?

I have read all 5 Fire and Ice novels. WoT is kind of like a mix between Martin and Tolkien. In that WoT is very detail oriented, with a ton of characters, side stories, politics etc, But it's not as serious or as adult as Martin is and it has more of a fantasy feel than Martin's work.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2013, 06:22:02 PM

Is WoT similiar?

WoT is no where near as bloody as Martin (or at least isn't in the first 8 books).  Not sure if I'd say it's similar to Abercrombie, but I've only read one of his books. 

ATB, if you haven't read them but like those two you might want to check out The Black Company series.  the link goes to a collection of the first 3 books, and there are 3 more collections of the remaining 7 books.

I feel like I spoke to you about that series at some point. It's on my get to list...but thanks again for the link.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 02, 2013, 07:04:31 PM

Is WoT similiar?

I have read all 5 Fire and Ice novels. WoT is kind of like a mix between Martin and Tolkien. In that WoT is very detail oriented, with a ton of characters, side stories, politics etc, But it's not as serious or as adult as Martin is and it has more of a fantasy feel than Martin's work.

WoT has deep roots in societies being created, then characters fitting in rather than the other way around. It's refreshing, though I was very tired of braid-pulling when listening to the audio-book version. Reading it doesn't seem so painful. IIRC I made it to book 9, then waited. I am about to restart book 1.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »

I think I will read that Black Company series after WoT. It will have to wait until next year.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »

I finished book 7 on Sunday, so I'm a little bit ahead of schedule. I know books 7-9 are supposed to be boring, but I liked book 7. Sure the story didn't advance all that much but it did set a lot of things in motion.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rand thinks he killed Samael, but I doubt it. He didn't see the actual death or a body. So my guess is he will be back. One thing that bothers me about Jordan is that he can be very vague about important events as they are happening. The entire last chapter with Rand's battle against Samael was vague and I had to read it very slowly to try and figure out exactly what was happening, and even then I'm still not sure I understand all of it.

The same thing is true with the battle in Book 2 where Rand was fighting one of the Forsaken in the sky. I didn't realize at all while I was reading it that Rand was fighting one of the forsaken. I don't think Jordan even tells you that until the next book.

Along the same lines what the hell happened at the end of book one with the white and black lines Rand used? Where those just his novice description of weaving or was it something else?

Anyway it seems like reading them all back to back helps keep the story moving. It really just seems like one super long book that I'm in the middle of. So  I can't fault book 7 for setting the stage and not really doing anything else.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »

I just finished Book 8, so I'm almost through what many consider to be the dull parts of the story. Still I thought it was an enjoyable read. The first half of the book was pretty dull, but the second half picked things up and kept right on going.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Most of the second half dealt with Rand going after the Seanchan and I found that part to be really interesting. Rand was really struggling to hang on and look strong, but most of the time he barely managed to do so. Also the way that last battle with the Seanchan ended will have repercussions through the rest of the story. Rand can't even trust himself.

Then he comes back to Cairhien only to be betrayed by some of his Ashamen. Was Taim the person behind that attack or not, it wasn't clear, but if I had to guess I would say he was. I would also say that Logain's brief appearance with the Ashamen may be leading up to Logain being Rand's savior with the Ashamen.

Anyway it's on to book 9 and I'm 11 days ahead of schedule.

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »

I started reading in June and have been able to manage about 1 book a week, so I'm a bit ahead (just started book 11).  I, too, started reading in the 90s but I made it all the way to book 9 the first time before deciding to wait until the series was complete before reading again. 

I have to say, they are even better than I remember and 1-8 were quite enjoyable (I'll withhold my judgement of other books until you get there).  I vaguely remember being disappointed with 7 & 8 at the time, but I think it was because I knew I had to wait 2+ years for the next one.  Being able to put one down and immediately jump into the next one has made a huge difference.  It is a lot easier to keep track of people now and the story really flows well when read that way (imo). 

Quote from: Scraper on July 23, 2013, 01:43:12 PM

I finished book 7 on Sunday, so I'm a little bit ahead of schedule. I know books 7-9 are supposed to be boring, but I liked book 7. Sure the story didn't advance all that much but it did set a lot of things in motion.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rand thinks he killed Samael, but I doubt it. He didn't see the actual death or a body. So my guess is he will be back. One thing that bothers me about Jordan is that he can be very vague about important events as they are happening. The entire last chapter with Rand's battle against Samael was vague and I had to read it very slowly to try and figure out exactly what was happening, and even then I'm still not sure I understand all of it.

The same thing is true with the battle in Book 2 where Rand was fighting one of the Forsaken in the sky. I didn't realize at all while I was reading it that Rand was fighting one of the forsaken. I don't think Jordan even tells you that until the next book.

Along the same lines what the hell happened at the end of book one with the white and black lines Rand used? Where those just his novice description of weaving or was it something else?

My opinion -

Spoiler for Hiden:
Jordan always tries to tell the story from a certain viewpoint in each chapter.  So from Rand's viewpoint, there was no way to know who he was fighting in Falme.  Heck - he thought it was the Dark One himself.  You're right, it isn't until the next book that we learn it is Ishmael and even then it is through supposition rather than an outright declaration.  I think it is a useful mechanism, too, as it makes me feel closer to the characters and also builds suspense.  I mean, a lot of the stuff in the books wouldn't be as interesting if there was no fog of war.

As for the white and black lines - the dark line was the connection to the Dark One.  If you remember when Rand captured Asmodean, he severed that dark line and Asmodean was cut off from the Dark One's protection - which means he was vulnerable to the taint on sadin and also that all the other Chosen knew we was cut off (as well as the Dark One himself), just another reason he was willing to help Rand.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

Sorry, can't wait - Knife of Dreams (Book 11) spoiler -

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got to the part where they finally read the letter Moraine left for Thom.  Nothing all that surprising as clues had been left up to this point and more or less our-righted by Lanfear herself, but still so cool.  I look forward to learning more about the Snakes and Foxes.

I also want to learn more about Noal and Olver.  It seems almost like Olver is Gaidal Cain reborn, but the timing for him leaving Tel'arah'rhiod isn't right unless you can be reborn into someone who is not a baby.  That would be cool though.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »

Not really a spoiler (unless I am right smile ) -more of a guess based on info through book 11.

Spoiler for Hiden:
So I figured Vandene is the Dark friend who killed her sister - thus why she hasn't found the killer yet.  I just read the part where Elayne held off an attack on Camelyn and the Lt. brought her 10k more soldiers.  As she is walking through the palace, they see Vandene and note she only wears her sister's clothes - and perfume.  That is when it hit me.   Adeleas swapped places with Vandene.  If true, I was right in that she is the Dark Friend who killed her sister...just wrong in which sister is actually dead.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 03:41:26 AM »

Stessier if you want a simple right or wrong answer to your theory...

Spoiler for Hiden:
wrong!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »

I'm not quite ready yet, but it's good to know it's there for when I finally can't wait and cave.  biggrin
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 10:31:49 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 25, 2013, 03:41:26 AM

Stessier if you want a simple right or wrong answer to your theory...

Spoiler for Hiden:
wrong!

Full spoilers - Book 11

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just got there - doh!  Another reason I stink at forum Werewolf games.  Good for her, though, taking avenging her sister on the way out.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »

Aug 26 - Book 11 finished!  
Aug 26 - Aug 29 -  Book 12 finished! - I swear this book is a faster read than the Jordan ones...
Aug 29 - Sept 2 - Book 13 finished!
Sept 2 - Final Book (1%)

Knife of Dreams was very good.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
So who the heck is Taim?  Early on I thought he might be Demandred, but at one point Taim tells Rand that he has to hang on to make it to Tarmon Gai'don.  Clearly he's a Darkfriend though.

I thought the point where Rand lost his hand was a little too brisk.  Jordan never seemed to mind describing stuff but that whole thing was like 3 pages long.

I'm very interested to see how the next few books read.  I've never read anything by Sanderson before.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:32:32 PM by stessier » Logged
coldsteel
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »

Quote from: stessier on August 26, 2013, 01:57:43 PM

I've never read anything by Sanderson before.

Speaking of Sanderson, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend "The Way of Kings". One of the best I've ever read in this genre.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »

You know, recommending book 1 of a planned 10-book arc after someone finishes the 15-volume monstrosity that is WoT is just mean.  Tongue

If you want to read Sanderson, start with Warbreaker, then try Mistborn: The Final Empire.  It starts a trilogy, but he's going the Douglas Adams / Piers Anthony route and is expanding it to at least five titles.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »

Quote from: coldsteel on August 26, 2013, 05:15:48 PM

Speaking of Sanderson, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend "The Way of Kings". One of the best I've ever read in this genre.

I have to agree, The Way of Kings was excellent.  It starts off a bit confusing as there are several individual storylines going on but by the end pf the book you can see how hes drawing them together.  Looking forwards to the rest of the series with hopes that Sanderson can maintain his rather prolific writing standards. 

I have recently started the final book in The Wheel of Time.  So far its been a very good read.  Sanderson is doing a great job of finishing what Jordan started. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:13 AM »

Book 12 spoilers - 46% in

Spoiler for Hiden:
Whoa!  True Power in the house!  So we will get to see what would have happened had Luke Skywalker agreed to join the Emperor...or something.  On the one hand, I'm surprised it has taken this long to happen.  On the other hand, I am terrified and have to keep reminding myself that the series will likely have a happy ending.  I guess that is the sign of either a weak mind or good writing/storytelling.  smile
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

Book 12 - Finished.

Wow.  Just wow.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Verin needs her own book/series.  I have so many questions about that!
Cadsuane needs her own book/series.
I need more about the Seachan.

There are only 2 books left...not nearly enough time!  frown 
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »

10% into book 13.  After the end of 12, how is it possible it is still getting better???  I'm think I'm going to self combust if this keeps up.   drool
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »

I've been making a similar trek through the series (started in January) after having read through 7 or 8 when they first came out.  Just finished book 7 today and am 8% into book 8.  Looking forward to finally getting to new (to me) stuff--although much of the re-read seemed new since it's been so long...
Kraegor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:17 AM »

Is WoT similiar?

Familiar with oranges and apples?  Are peaches similar?

In tone and storytelling style those 3 authors are strongly divergent.

Abercrombie - Swift. Tends to stick to the action and he doesn't waste much time. Likes to paint everything gray. Story on the whole is straightforward but pretends to be convoluted.  Kinda like a swirly straw.

Martin is a slow burn. Tends to be dark and brooding.  Likes to paint everything red. Who knows where the hell this is headed? (i have not read dance with dragons yet)

Jordan is slow but his storytelling style is fresh and earthy.  It's an epic tale.  You know who the good/bad guys are for the most part and it's about friends.

Of the 3, Abercrombie is the easiest to read, Jordan is the most fun and Martin is trying to kill you.

I finished WoT last week.  I had never heard of Sanderson, prior to Gathering Storm.  Sanderson did a superb job of adopting Jordan's voice.  So much so that one would think the final 3 books were ghost written  ninja (too soon?)

Excellent series. Memorable characters and I have always felt connected the story.  The only book that dragged for me was Winter's Heart.  On my list of favorite series I rank it #2.

#1 would be Malazan.

p.s.  FIRST POST!!!!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:32:58 AM by Kraegor » Logged
Kraegor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:18 AM »

Quote from: coldsteel on August 26, 2013, 05:15:48 PM

Agreed, a solid series.  Sanderson's growth as a writer has been fun to track.  I read Gathering Storm first, but i then went back in order from Elantris and up and you can really see how he is learning to experiment with world building and story progression.  The timing for his getting chosen to write WoT was very good.  He was just hitting his stride when he started WoT.
Zaxxon

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 04:43:01 AM »

I haven't finished WoT yet, but with that caveat I concur with Kraegor's characterization of Abercrombie vs Jordan vs Martin.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »

Quote from: Kraegor on August 30, 2013, 04:31:17 AM

Excellent series. Memorable characters and I have always felt connected the story.  The only book that dragged for me was Winter's Heart.  On my list of favorite series I rank it #2.

#1 would be Malazan.

I'll have to check that out when I finish.  Thanks!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

Ive had a really problem getting into the mazalan series.  I finished the first book but the second book throws any semblance of continuity out the window and its made it very difficult to get into it.

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

You've sparked my interest!

I may start Wheel of Time this year. I've read and finished seemingly dozens of fantasy and sci-fi series over the years but I never seriously considered WOT. I think back when I was in high school, I first saw an old hardback of The Eye of the World and the cover seemed rather (no offense) goofy with the giant black Knight riding next to the tiny fellow on a white pony. Ahh, the cliche may be true, but a cover can be a useful quick guide if you've limited time and interest.

(I'm reminded that recently I almost passed on an interesting sci-fi series (Wool) because the book's simplistic cover - with the two "O"s in Wool looking like the Cookie Monster's eyes - and its self-published Kindle origin left no favorable impression. But I did download a sample and I liked it. Went on to read the entire series concluding with Dust. I noticed over time apparently someone decided more professional covers would help a little known series catch the eye of the non-cognoscenti.)

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on August 30, 2013, 03:28:39 PM

You've sparked my interest!

I may start Wheel of Time this year. I've read and finished seemingly dozens of fantasy and sci-fi series over the years but I never seriously considered WOT. I think back when I was in high school, I first saw an old hardback of The Eye of the World and the cover seemed rather (no offense) goofy with the giant black Knight riding next to the tiny fellow on a white pony. Ahh, the cliche may be true, but a cover can be a useful quick guide if you've limited time and interest.

That's a woman on the white horse.  And he's big, but not really a giant - the woman is just on the small side.  smile
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

Book 13 - mini spoiler (21% in)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got to Mat's letter to Elayne.  The thing had me LOLing and then I go to the pps where Thom was laughing at him while reading over his shoulder and I just lost it.   icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
Kraegor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 04:32:09 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 30, 2013, 02:11:26 PM

Ive had a really problem getting into the mazalan series.  I finished the first book but the second book throws any semblance of continuity out the window and its made it very difficult to get into it.

ROFL!  Lack of continuity, that's a good one.   Erickson has a certain flair.   

There are numerous characters.  And the cast grows with each book.  Gardens of the Moon: The first time I read it I only understood every other paragraph because characters were throwing out these nonsense words that I had never heard of before.  Soletaken? wha?  Why are nobles being slaughtered? Purge? huh?

His writing style is enigmatic.  He often alludes to something he doesn't bother to explain until 4 books later.  And sometimes he doesn't explain some things ever.  He leaves it up to you to discern by following all the oblique references thrown out by the characters.  I am reading forge of darkness now and half the characters are speaking in prose.  Freakin' elves! slywink 

Maintaining continuity?  No that is not a problem Erickson has.  The man is an archaelogist/anthropologist.  If he understands one thing, it's how to build on the bones of the past.

I urge you to continue the second book.  Yes it starts slowly, unlike Gardens of the Moon which began in battle.  In truth most of the malazan books are a slow start burn.  But once the dominoes start to fall, it becomes one heck of a ride.   Deadhouse Gates is exceptional (albeit not best book in the series, but Erickson sets a pretty high standard, imo).  As you come to learn more lore and find out just how deep this story is, you will learn to appreciate all the characters more.  Because of how heavily layered the Malazan series is, some concepts don't start to make sense until you get to House of Chains.

At least that's how it was for me.

Although it is fair to warn folks that the Malazan series is not for beginners.  It's very complex and there is a lot going on.  I would not recommend it for casual readers.

Oh and now that I think on it I recall that I had a similar reaction as yours when I read Deadhouse Gates the first time. If I were to guess you meant...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Where is Whiskeyjack and Paran? Wtf?!?!  Who are all these new characters?  Why should I care about this? 

Memories of Ice is where most of the old gang is.  Memories of Ice happens along the same timeline as Deadhouse Gate.  Which should help give you some idea of the breadth of this particular story.  Two huge ass storylines running in tandem.

The thing about Deadhouse Gates is that as usual Erickson just drops you into the middle of chaos and expects you to sink or swim on your own.  Although he tells the story from in the trenches, the tale itself is not about a few central characters.  Although, of course, there are titans who rattle the foundations.   Deadhouse Gates is how Erickson establishes the sheer scope of the Malazan series because by the end you will be attached to a whole new cast of characters and you will see that this is about more than the Bridgeburners.  (This is why I find Erickson's quoted praise for The Black Company so telling, since he chose to use that same dynamic for how he writes his books) 

WoT is a good contrast.  WoT gives you a set of core characters and you ride with those characters through the entire 14 book series with a central viewpoint.  And you can easily stay in tune with what is happening.  WoT is an excellent intro-to-fantasy book for the 15+ age bracket.

Erickson is much more dense.  He sets undercurrents all over the place.  Gardens of the Moon easily qualifies as the kiddie pool.  It's the simplest and most concise book in the series.  The books that follow Gardens of the Moon each add more depth and breadth until you are no longer sitting in a pool but swimming in an ocean. 

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:29:38 AM by Kraegor » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 05:41:26 AM »

I like Erickson, but I'm wondering how many more characters will change their name during the series.  I've been reading House of Chains (didn't care for book one of the novel but it's gotten better), and I think there are 5 people who are currently going by new names so far.  It's not bad now, but since I tend to read a few other books in between volumes (to avoid burnout) I'm beginning to wonder if I'll remember that so and so used to be whatshisname and that chick is now that other chick.  I imagine he'll be a good writer and remind us though, or else I'll have to keep a flowchart smile

I also had the same reaction to Deadhouse Gates as well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kraegor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 05:46:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2013, 05:41:26 AM

didn't care for book one of the novel

I thought the same my first time around.  My opinion has changed drastically.  Especially after subsequent re-reads of the entire series. 

It's kind of interesting to me, now that I think on it, that I tended to have to slog though the first few chapters of each new book.  Not because it was bad writing or storytelling, but because I once again had to learn about a whole new set of characters in completely different circumstances than what I was expecting.  And that aspect of things is work!

But Erickson invariably starts to tie in all the various threads somewhere around page 400 or so (HAH!) and then I can settle in and enjoy the rest of the ride.  Now that I can look at the entire series as a whole and see how all the characters fit in, I find re-reads to be quite enjoyable.  I always discover new references and allusions like little easter eggs that show how much foreshadowing Erickson is doing.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:07:53 AM by Kraegor » Logged
Kraegor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2013, 05:41:26 AM

I imagine he'll be a good writer and remind us though, or else I'll have to keep a flowchart smile

'Course there's a flowchart.  It's the cast of characters list!  But like most documentation... it's outdated...

Are you saying you don't know who Surly is?  <gasp!> slywink

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »

At 90% in Book 13, so I went to buy Memory of Light and to my surprise, it is down to $8.50 for the Kindle edition - woo-hoo!  When I started in June, it was over $12.  Yay!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 12:20:38 AM »

Im just over half way through the last book.  Excellent and very fast paced.  Theres more going on here than in the middle 5 books combined! The one thing i heard was that Sanderson was following Jordans notes, plots and summaries to a tee.  It good to see everything falling into place according to Jordans vision.  Sanderson has done a great job in emulating Jordans voice.  Big  thumbsup so far.

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »

11% into Memories of Light.  I can see I'm going to get zero sleep this week until I'm done.  Grrr....  biggrin
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:16 AM »

i want to re-read. I need time to do so, and a VERY comfortable chair.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: