http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:35:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the hell Games Workshop?  (Read 1415 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »

Came across this today in the Mobileread forums:
http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593
In mid-December, Games Workshop told Amazon that I’d infringed on the  trademark they’ve claimed for the term “space marine” by titling my  original fiction novel Spots the Space Marine. In response, Amazon blocked the e-book from sale.....
In their last email to me, Games Workshop stated that they believe that  their recent entrée into the e-book market gives them the common law  trademark for the term “space marine” in all formats. If they choose to  proceed on that belief, science fiction will lose a term that’s been a  part of its canon since its inception. Space marines were around long  before Games Workshop. But if GW has their way, in the future, no one  will be able to use the term “space marine” without it referring to the  space marines of the Warhammer 40K universe.

Seriously, WTF Games Workshop? Talk about bullies. I'm pretty sure that "space marine" was a word long before they came along. I know these guys are pretty protective of their IP but this is over the line." The author is just some small, self-published person as well. We're not talking about some huge corporation.  Perhaps Games Workshop should stop picking on the little guys and go sue someone that can afford to fight it like Blizzard.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »

I'll repeat what I said on Twitter yesterday when I first came across this piece of news: I can't wait to see Games Workshop go after id Software and Bethesda over their use of space marines in the Doom games.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:31 PM »

WTF...   saywhat

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »

Wouldn't worry, the EFF has taken his case pro bono.

Also, this really only just a case of him not having enough money to fight it, which is a sad case in the legal system.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »

They pick on the little guy for just that reason.  He can't afford it, so they win.  And thus set precedent.  And the more they do that, the harder it gets when they finally do go after the big guys.

Doesn't make it any less slimy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »

If I was the author I would just FIND and REPLACE all instances of "marine" and put "cadet" in there.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 08, 2013, 07:23:53 PM

If I was the author I would just FIND and REPLACE all instances of "marine" and put "cadet" in there.

What the hell is a space marine anyway? It doesn't make sense. There's no water in space!

Everyone can just change to "colonial marines".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 08, 2013, 08:45:24 PM

What the hell is a space marine anyway? It doesn't make sense. There's no water in space!

You could use the same argument against space ships, space navies, admirals, captains, and other such tropes from science fiction.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 08, 2013, 08:48:42 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 08, 2013, 08:45:24 PM

You could use the same argument against space ships, space navies, admirals, captains, and other such tropes from science fiction.

"Ship" can be extended to mean travels through space or water. The word "Marine" specifically implies water. But mostly it was a joke.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »

Actually, ship is water - the extension of ship is the same one that marine would use.

Unless all the "marines" were blue. Then they could be either space [aqua,ultra] marines. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 08, 2013, 01:27:55 PM

Wouldn't worry, the EFF has taken his case pro bono.

thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:39:54 AM »

They've been doing this for years.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 08, 2013, 10:38:38 PM

Actually, ship is water - the extension of ship is the same one that marine would use.

Unless all the "marines" were blue. Then they could be either space [aqua,ultra] marines. Tongue

The word "ship" does not, at its root, mean water.  Unlike "marine," which I think was what Teggy was saying.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 09, 2013, 05:04:50 AM

The word "ship" does not, at its root, mean water.  Unlike "marine," which I think was what Teggy was saying.

ORLY? slywink

Regardless of whether it's been more universally adopted, as TiLT pointed out, it is all the same thing. Even "shipping" is derived from the act of placing a product onboard a water vessel for the purposes of transporting it.

Unless you're looking at urban dictionary - then all bets are off. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 09, 2013, 07:08:26 PM

The word "ship" does not, at its root, mean water.  Unlike "marine," which I think was what Teggy was saying.

ORLY? slywink

Regardless of whether it's been more universally adopted, as TiLT pointed out, it is all the same thing. Even "shipping" is derived from the act of placing a product onboard a water vessel for the purposes of transporting it.

Yes, really

Marine literally means "of the sea" and is from the Latin root "mare" meaning sea.  Ship does not mean sea.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »

I think the Marines should sue Games Workshop slywink

Because I can,
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 08, 2013, 12:46:37 PM

Came across this today in the Mobileread forums:
http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593
In mid-December, Games Workshop told Amazon that I’d infringed on the  trademark they’ve claimed for the term “space marine” by titling my  original fiction novel Spots the Space Marine. In response, Amazon blocked the e-book from sale.....
In their last email to me, Games Workshop stated that they believe that  their recent entrée into the e-book market gives them the common law  trademark for the term “space marine” in all formats. If they choose to  proceed on that belief, science fiction will lose a term that’s been a  part of its canon since its inception. Space marines were around long  before Games Workshop. But if GW has their way, in the future, no one  will be able to use the term “space marine” without it referring to the  space marines of the Warhammer 40K universe.

Seriously, WTF Games Workshop? Talk about bullies. I'm pretty sure that "space marine" was a word long before they came along. I know these guys are pretty protective of their IP but this is over the line." The author is just some small, self-published person as well. We're not talking about some huge corporation.  Perhaps Games Workshop should stop picking on the little guys and go sue someone that can afford to fight it like Blizzard.

I could never figure out why Games Workshop didn't sue Blizzard.  Wacraft and Starcraft are obviousley "heavily influenced" by Warhammer and 40K.   Heck the new starcraft trailer looks like it could be a 40k movie about  Tyranids vs Space Marines.  ( I hope I don't get sued for using the SM word. )  Games Workshop has made some interesting business decisions like prohibiting online sales of there product from sites other than their official store.  I guess nothing from them would really suprise me. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »

They actually tried to sue Blizzard, but by the time they did, Blizzard had become too powerful off the success of Starcraft and Warcraft. They were able to mount a successful case against GW.

And as similar as the Blizzard stuff is, I think they still did plenty of changes to make Starcraft its own thing. GW never had a leg to stand on.

Let's face it, if GW could sue Blizzard successfully, then the Heinlein estate could just as easily sue GW for using powered armor and intelligent alien insectoids.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »

Fortunately this story has a happy ending- the book is back up on Amazon and GW is officially a "Trademark Bully".
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/trademark-bully-thwarted-spots-space-marine-back-online

I've heard comments that the book is actually pretty good too! It reads a bit like a script from a movie than an actual novel.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »

Wow, that wrapped up infinitely faster than I would have anticipated.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 09, 2013, 07:17:36 PM

The word "ship" does not, at its root, mean water.  Unlike "marine," which I think was what Teggy was saying.

ORLY? slywink

Yes, really.  

Marine literally means "of the sea" and is from the Latin root "mare" meaning sea.  Ship does not mean sea.

Point missed, Bullwinkle.

Spaceship, as in "space ship" is [apply concept of space][established nautical vessel known as SHIP].

Cars are not called ground-ships, and all terms "ship"ping stem originally from transporting cargo on .... WATER.

Whatever. Moving on.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:49:28 PM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 10, 2013, 10:59:21 AM

Fortunately this story has a happy ending- the book is back up on Amazon and GW is officially a "Trademark Bully".
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/trademark-bully-thwarted-spots-space-marine-back-online

thumbsup

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

And that guy just got a ton more free advertising for a book none of us would have heard of otherwise.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 10, 2013, 06:57:43 PM

And that gal just got a ton more free advertising for a book none of us would have heard of otherwise.

FTFY biggrin

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 10, 2013, 05:47:30 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 09, 2013, 07:17:36 PM

ORLY? slywink

Yes, really.  

Marine literally means "of the sea" and is from the Latin root "mare" meaning sea.  Ship does not mean sea.

Point missed, Bullwinkle.

Spaceship, as in "space ship" is [apply concept of space][established nautical vessel known as SHIP].

Cars are not called ground-ships, and all terms "ship"ping stem originally from transporting cargo on .... WATER.

Whatever. Moving on.

Thank you for conceding that you missed the point.  I do not see any other possible way to interpret what you wrote.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 01:48:26 AM »

From now on I'm calling my car my "landship."

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 03:26:14 AM »

I thought R&P was cutthroat.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 11, 2013, 01:48:26 AM

From now on I'm calling my car my "landship."

thumbsup

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 11, 2013, 03:26:14 AM

I thought R&P was cutthroat.

STFU n00b!

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 04:47:27 AM »

ORLY? slywink

Lol. Urban dictionary. My friend. My wife is less thrilled with it after I showed her the meaning of cleveland steamer on it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: