http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What robot genre needs ILM's special effects treatment next?  (Read 3372 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »

So while it seems like the Transformers movie itself is a love it or hate it affair, I think most people can agree that holy shit those were some damn impressive looking giant robots.  So if it were up to us, what giant machine franchise should get the next live action ILM treatment?

BattleTech/MechWarrior - Someone mentioned this in another thread.  The opening fight in Transformers was almost a 1:1 match for the BattleTech style, and the backstory to the franchise leaves a lot of room for a movie adaptation that could have a wider appeal than just the videogame/tabletop fans.  I think this one has actually been on and off the production table for a number of years, but perhaps Transformers' success will help rekindle interest in the project.  Con: Robot Jox.

Macross/Robotech - This would be my top choice.  If I had my own billions of dollars to toss around I would just take the original storyline and split it into three movie adaptations.  I just want to see Veritechs and Zentraedi fighting it out in city streets.  Con: @#$% intellectual property fights means this'll never happen.  Best we can hope for is a Macross adaptation that has redesigns for all the mecha.

M.A.S.K. - Well, 80s cartoon remakes are all the rage, so I guess it's not out of the question.  It would be neat to see the vehicle transformations, but, uh...  Con: It would suck.

Gundam - Dunno, not familiar with the franchise.

Voltron - This one's already happening!  I'll form the head!

What're your votes, am I missing any big ones?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »

shouldn't there be an actual poll?  icon_wink

How about Tranzor Z?  A whole new generation of kiddies can be introduced to his support robot, the female one that shot out her boobs as missiles!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2007, 02:13:48 PM

shouldn't there be an actual poll?  icon_wink

Need all the nominations first!  The poll would be a legally binding document that would most likely determine what project ILM next gets signed to, so we can't just go about this willy nilly.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »

John Steakley's ARMOR needs to be a 3-part movie now. It should be the epic movie that Starship Troopers completely failed to be.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »

I heard rumors about a year or so ago regarding a live-action Dragonball Z.  At the time I thought it would be really bad... but then I saw Shaolin Soccer and Kung-Fu Hustle.  If Stephen Chow did it, it would be awesome.

Also, it would be nice if somebody would actually do a GOOD presentation of Dune.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »

Quote from: javahead on July 09, 2007, 02:33:41 PM

John Steakley's ARMOR needs to be a 3-part movie now. It should be the epic movie that Starship Troopers completely failed to be.

I don't think there was enough book for a 3 part movie adaptation.  2 maybe, but from what I remember (it's been years since I read it and I like Vampire$ much more) they could probably do it in 2 1/2 hours.

Because I can,
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »

Well the book was 3 major chapters...each could easily be fleshed into a full movie with lots of detail. Jack Crow gets his own flick in the middle there...in my mind anyway. slywink

Dune might be just too big to put effectively on screen for some time to come, but I'd like to see them try. Are there robots in Dune?

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »

Robotech would get my vote.  Could be reworked into an excellent two hour movie (speaking of which I think that's what the "Do You Remember Love" feature did but I haven't watched it yet).

Gundam would have lots of potential too- it's a more "realistic" take on the genre and with a properly developed first act would go a long way on making giant fighting robots more palatable for general audiences. 
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »

Well, no, not really any giant robots in Dune, but there are big machines (Ornithopters, Harvesters, etc, not to mention the Guild space ships and the Sandworms).

I think a live action Voltron could be cool, but I'd be really concerned about it being dumbed down for a kiddie audience.  Robotech would probably be too long, since the story could easily fill several movies.  The only series which has done that well is probably Harry Potter.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 03:08:48 PM

Gundam would have lots of potential too- it's a more "realistic" take on the genre and with a properly developed first act would go a long way on making giant fighting robots more palatable for general audiences. 

Gundam is considered a more realistic take on the genre?  I saw the brightly colored robots and dismissed the series as being too, well, kiddie.  I might just have to give it a try.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 03:35:18 PM »

Gundam Wing was good, but it seems to have been a departure into realism, rather than the norm for the series.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 09, 2007, 03:21:02 PM

Gundam is considered a more realistic take on the genre?  I saw the brightly colored robots and dismissed the series as being too, well, kiddie.  I might just have to give it a try.

There are tons of different Gundam lines so it depends on which one you watch.  But the original Gundam series (0079 and Zeta Gundam) take an approach where they have to worry about things like heat management, ammo, etc and the engagements tend to be smaller scale.  They also treat the characters fairly realistically playing up the toll that relying on a single piece of equipment too much can take (the Gundam pilot suffering from lack of sleep, "celebrity" status isolating him from the group) and of course they suffer casualties frequently too.

I don't want to play it up too much- the robots are still in primary colors, they have laser swords, and most of the traditional anime trappings but despite the very dated animation (late 70s/early 80s) I think the original series holds up pretty well.  Zeta Gundam (mid-80s) is good too but goes on too long for it's own good.

The newer series (Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing) are much more traditional anime.   
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »

It's certainly all the rage in Japan.  I walked through a big toy store in Osaka and they must've had two entire isles dedicated to Gundam toys and models, as well as an 8-foot model of the main robot.

And back to the topic, I'm guessing I'm going to be on my own with this one, but I'd love to see Short Circuit 3 done with modern effects. smile  There were a number of scenes in Transformers where Bumblebee's facial expressions reminded me of Johnny 5.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »

Wow, I almost forgot all about that movie.  Not that I'm implying it as a bad thing.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 09, 2007, 03:43:46 PM

I'm guessing I'm going to be on my own with this one, but I'd love to see Short Circuit 3 done with modern effects. smile  There were a number of scenes in Transformers where Bumblebee's facial expressions reminded me of Johnny 5.
Gads NO! You've completely undone all my years of forget-Guttenberg therapy! It'll be months before I sleep again...
Besides, I might argue that I, Robot was Short Circuit 3

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2007, 02:13:48 PM

How about Tranzor Z?
Heck yeah
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 04:22:27 PM »

Quote from: javahead on July 09, 2007, 04:19:11 PM

Gads NO! You've completely undone all my years of forget-Guttenberg therapy! It'll be months before I sleep again...

I felt that way too but he was awesome in Veronica Mars Season 2.

Come to think of it, Veronica Mars with giant robots and ILM special effects would be teh awesome!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »

I would personally love to see a Mechwarrior movie, to see a Madcat, or a Vulture, Highlander or an Atlas in it's full glory would be awesome.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »

What was that one really bad giant robot film?  The only notable thing about it was how terrible it was, had giant robots fighting proxy wars between nations or something.

Oh, I know what would be great: a true to the book Starship Troopers.  They were called Mobile Infantry for a reason!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 04:31:40 PM »

Robot Jox?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »

how about a Go-Bot movie?  icon_wink

Because I can,
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 04:58:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2007, 04:33:16 PM

how about a Go-Bot movie?  icon_wink

Go-Bots are the K-Mart verision of Transformers.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »

I think Robotech would be the definitive choice but I agree that the rights issues would need to be worked out and that's likely to take a while. Voltron is currently in the pipeline so we'll see what happens there soon enough.

Personally, I just want a "Transformers" sequel right now. icon_biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 06:14:15 PM »

G I G A N T O R!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 06:54:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 04:31:40 PM

Robot Jox?

I think that was it.  Sweet Zombie Jesus, that movie was terrible.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »

Well, Weta is already doing Evangelion...

SHOGUN WARRIORS!!!!!!  YESSSSSS!!!!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »

They're making Evangelion into a live action movie? Gah is all I have to say to that.

Macross Zero has the fight scenes as 3D, not ILM quality but they look pretty cool.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »

A part of me wants to say that the Iron Giant movie would be cool to see live action, but the animated version was so wonderful I don't see how a live action version would be anything but a disappointment.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 08:48:09 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 09, 2007, 08:44:27 PM

They're making Evangelion into a live action movie? Gah is all I have to say to that.

I think the Evangelion project died a while back. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 09, 2007, 04:23:09 PM

I would personally love to see a Mechwarrior movie, to see a Madcat, or a Vulture, Highlander or an Atlas in it's full glory would be awesome.

Agreed. Or at least, howabout the current license holder actually go and make a new 'Mech game like the classic games from the 90s?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »

Mechwarrior.  I love the universe more than just about any other Sci-fi property out there.

Voltron??  I seem to remember liking the vehicle version sooo much better than the lions version.  Although I haven't seen the former recently, and CN is showing the lion version early mornings lately. 

Pikachu, I Blame you!
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 10:03:33 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on July 09, 2007, 09:53:23 PM

Mechwarrior.  I love the universe more than just about any other Sci-fi property out there.

Voltron??  I seem to remember liking the vehicle version sooo much better than the lions version.  Although I haven't seen the former recently, and CN is showing the lion version early mornings lately. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  Inner Sphere vs. the evil clans!  I see clan medical facilities being infiltrated and robbed for clan tech.  I see the Draconis Combine leading a full scale assault on a clan base with Warhammers and Atlas'...pardon my drool.

EDIT: Actually, and I know I'm going to upset the purists, being one myself.  The story of the Butlerian Jihad and the machine wars (Dune prequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson for the uninitiated) could be done with dramatic success.  It may not have been written by the master, but the story was good, and cymeks would just be awesome.  I did enjoy the books, though I consider them "in the style of" Dune.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:07:05 PM by WarPig » Logged

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »

Voltron??  I seem to remember liking the vehicle version sooo much better than the lions version. 
Really? Honestly, I don't remember much, but the vehicle series always seemed like an also-ran to the lions. Then again, I was all of 9 at the time smile  I'll have to Tivo those CN episodes though... thanks for the heads up.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »

It's not a giant robot story (unless you count the Goliaths) but I'd love to see ILM's effects in...

"Starcraft" by James Cameron.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »

Voltron??  I seem to remember liking the vehicle version sooo much better than the lions version.

dude, I remember that college is the time to experiment with drugs and everything, but you really need to lay off the crack, mmmmKay?  Tongue

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 01:55:35 AM »

Mechwarrior. They could do a wonderful trilogy from that story universe.

Heavy Gear.

Terra Nova. The power suits and team based story.

Earth Siege

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 02:00:49 AM »

Quote from: Orgull on July 09, 2007, 11:26:22 PM

It's not a giant robot story (unless you count the Goliaths) but I'd love to see ILM's effects in...

Dude, I just shat my pants. eek

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 04:26:15 AM »

Megas XLR

icon_biggrin

(HBZ)
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 04:11:36 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 10, 2007, 02:00:49 AM

Ha ha ha!

You said "shat". That word always cracks me up.

(It would be pretty awesome though, wouldn't it?)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on July 10, 2007, 04:11:36 PM

Quote from: Farscry on July 10, 2007, 02:00:49 AM

Ha ha ha!

You said "shat". That word always cracks me up.

(It would be pretty awesome though, wouldn't it?)

he could make it a 3 hour epic starring Leonardo DiCaprio!

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: