http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:19:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a good chainsaw brand? or lawn and garden power tools  (Read 1320 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:38:27 PM »

The only one I know of as good right now is Echo. I just got an Echo weedeater and will be buying a Cub Cadet mower tomorrow. But I need a chainsaw with all these trees falling on us all the time.

I used to have a little electric one. It was semi ok until i snagged a wire fence with it and had to return it. they were out that time and I didn't get a new chainsaw. So now I can get one. I dont need a big one. just a small one. I dont want super expensive..which i'm afraid Echo may be. I have not looked at ANY yet. But I want one that will start without me having to remove the air filter, priming the carb, cranking for 30 pulls....I had to do that in the olden days. Hence the weedeater having a pull assist starter and the mower will have electric start hehe.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:06:13 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

Stihl makes some badass machines.

Here are the percentages preferred and ranked by brand of saw through October, 2001:
Husqvarna - 41%; Stihl - 40%; Jonsered - 7%; Echo - 4%; All others - 8%

I've never heard of Husqvarna, but I'm familiar with Stihl and they seem to do well both commercial and private use.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »

Hey, someone hit the Daehawk button again slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »

Husqvarna and Stihl are both badass. The Coke and Pepsi of chainsaws. To me the most important part of any chainsaw is the power, without a strong enough motor even the sharpest blade won't cut as good.

They are expensive though, so if you want non-expensive one you could try Homelite. I have a Homelite and it's price to performance ratio is pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:48:41 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »

And just to stay on topic, my dad had a Stihl chainsaw for many years.

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »

Just make sure whatever brand you buy has the attachment so it fits on your arm in case of zombie invasion.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »

Stihl is by far the best chainsaw brand out there in my opinion.  My dad just bought a new Stihl and gave me his 15 year old Stihl which still runs great.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »

Homelite XL

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 13, 2010, 05:54:07 PM

Stihl is by far the best chainsaw brand out there in my opinion.  My dad just bought a new Stihl and gave me his 15 year old Stihl which still runs great.

I'll second that - from my brother. He's an arborist - Husqies are powerful, but when they break down (or even just to use) they are really hard to work on.

Stihl is fantastic (and preferred) but the problem is that a decent saw is going to run you $400 - 1000. Go with a MS361 for general purpose. There are climbing saws and bucking saws - MS290 is also a good pick.

An MS361 should come with a 20-26" bar, but can be changed out as necessary.

Regardless of the saw you buy, you need to break the motor in (which means you're going to use up a full tank of gas in just starting and stopping the saw to break in the motor).

You should talk to a proper dealer about breaking them in - this is critical to getting the motor working for you or you'll have a crappy experience. (you don't just buy a new car and take it out to the drag strip).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 13, 2010, 05:38:27 PM

I want one that will start without me having to remove the air filter, priming the carb, cranking for 30 pulls...

I totally understand-when someone comes knocking at your door you need some self-defence that will start up quickly biggrin
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:06 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 13, 2010, 11:05:26 PM

I want one that will start without me having to remove the air filter, priming the carb, cranking for 30 pulls...

I totally understand-when someone comes knocking at your door you need some self-defence that will start up quickly biggrin

why won't you think of the dog!?!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 13, 2010, 11:10:06 PM

Quote from: Canuck on April 13, 2010, 11:05:26 PM

why won't you think of the dog!?!

icon_lol

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:29 PM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:28 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 13, 2010, 06:52:39 PM

(you don't just buy a new car and take it out to the drag strip).

Oops.

-Cota
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:44 AM »

My father, when retired, for a hobby spent a decade as an obsessive chainsawer, so I have lotsa (mostly unwanted) experience. He always bought cheap junk, then broke it & complained. I started out getting him something 'better,' and while I found I like Husky, as already stated, breakable & parts are a bit of a pain. Then turned to Stihl & have not looked back. Stihl has a good Dealer network, and they have parts & such (and you will need a dealer & parts now & again if you do anything beyond pure basic once-a-month stuff).

I highly recommend this model which I have & use:  Stihl MS 180C.  Absolute lightest saw w/ most power I could find - sensational power-weight ratio. Easy start (think that's the 'c' thing). Quick change (finger tighten gadgetry, no need to unbolt to retighten chain). A homeowner saw, so price is waaay better than their professional line pricing (uh, think it is still sub $200, or at least therabouts). 14" bar, and while that might seem a bit 'small,' if you're not planning on lumberjacking an entire forest, it is plenty large enough. As I said, the high power to low weight ratio makes this little guy a real winner.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »

Looks like Stihl needs to be looked into. Thanks for the input so far. Lucky me. I have a Stihl  Elite dealer just around the corner from me sorta.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:55:20 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »

You know, this is a really informative thread. On a completely unrelated note, could someone recommend a good hockey mask? How about a good large capacity freezer? No reason, just curious.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 14, 2010, 12:47:42 PM

You know, this is a really informative thread. On a completely unrelated note, could someone recommend a good hockey mask? How about a good large capacity freezer? No reason, just curious.

CCM makes a really good freezer. I can never decide between whirlpool and Westinghouse for my hockey equipment.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 14, 2010, 01:25:03 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 14, 2010, 12:47:42 PM

CCM makes a really good freezer. I can never decide between whirlpool and Westinghouse for my hockey equipment.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

I'm expanding the thread topic smile Wasn't room for hockey masks though . smile

Today I picked up a big double wheeled wheel barrel and a Cub Cadet electric start self propelled mower. I realized when I got home it would not mow itself though frown Seriously I have not mowed my own yard in 4 years. My tools all broke down and I had no money to fix them or buy more. Plus I have some bad health to boot. So our neighbor had been mowing it for us. Just the front and no trimming. Well I'm now on disability so I have medications to help with the health problems and a doctor to visit..yay. Plus I now have spare cash. So I decided that it might be good for me health wise to try to do some stuff I have not been able to do well in over 10 years.

I used to push mow our entire yard before my health got to me. I still can't do what I did but I can get to a little at a time now. So far I've gotten a Echo weedwhacker,CubCadet push mower, and wheelbarrel. Now I need a chainsaw and a few other odds and ends. Should pick up a new toilet soon and sink for the bathroom. Then I am going to redo that wonderful 1950's green floor in the kitchen. Already have hot water in there again after 3 years. smile We're moving on up. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: