http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:13:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to 94.9 Zeta??!  (Read 2618 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:20:56 PM »

I realize this is a far shot since we are all over the country, but here in South Florida (Miami area) we had a rock station called 94.9 ZETA, which was also broadcasted over other parts of the country as well as around the world. It's been around for ages and is the only real alternative/rock station in Miami. Now it's been replaced by Mega 94.9 "Latino and Proud" spanish station. (As if there weren't enough spanish stations in Miami already.)
Going to the site, 949zeta.com brings up the mega 94.9. Just turned on my radio and there it was playing spanish music.
WTF happened?!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 12:05:56 AM »

google is your friend:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/10881574.htm?1c

It was out with Pearl Jam and in with Tego Calderón at WZTA 94.9 FM on Friday when Clear Channel Communications abruptly flipped its Zeta alternative rock station to a Hispanic urban format.

Rebranded as ''Mega, Latino and proud,'' the station started pumping out a funky mix of reggaeton, Spanish hip-hop and dance tunes aimed at the bilingual 18-to-34 crowd.

The switch is part of Clear Channel's strategy announced last September to aggressively expand its portfolio in the booming Spanish-language radio market. The San Antonio-based radio giant said it would convert up to 25 stations to Hispanic formats across the country. Counting South Florida, it's done seven so far.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 12:40:19 AM »

Google is my enemy. That article needs registration anyway.

Checking yahoo news I found what I was looking for:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-211zetamega,0,6408020.story

Rock n' roll died Friday on Zeta 4. Simultaneously, a new "Spanglish" format was born.

I hadn't realized Zeta had been around for 30 years (Since I'm 23 myself) and is now being replaced by a foreign language station.
This really gets to me.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 01:02:14 AM »

That's nothing. You should have seen what I went through when KMET turned into The Wave.

Any So Cal rock radio people know what I'm talking about.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 01:04:37 AM »

same thing happened here in Houston.  same damn name even.

Not that I cared TOO much for the station it replaced (radio is currently a wasteland of mediocrity), but I liked it a lot better than the one that supplanted it.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 01:49:51 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Google is my enemy. That article needs registration anyway.

Wierd, I didn't register and could read it from that link. I wonder fi the pop-up blocker interfered?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 02:56:56 AM »

that kind of crap happens here in california all the time. i cant name how many cool stations turned into latin overnight. i hate it. there are enough of them already!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 09:15:39 AM »

the current trend up here in seattle is to turn decent rock stations (ok, not that decent but the about as good as radio gets anymore) into a mindless mix of 80's, 90's and the same boring shit you hear from the last few years.  

Fuck, if I wanted to listen to crappy 80's radio I'd turn it to the 80's station!  Just because your market was waning when you played the same 10 songs every hour doesn't mean that you need to play the same songs that were popular 15 years ago.  They say that "we now play deeper tracks on the albums that you want to hear", but it just means "we now play more OLD Pearl Jam and Sublime that you didn't need to hear again".  

Radio is the suck, and I don't know why they can't realize that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 10:12:35 AM »

SAme thing happened in Dallas a year or so back, when 97.1 the Eagle (hard rock for at least 15 years) suddenly became 'Sunny 97.1', which was, you guessed it, the mix of 80s and 90s.

The good news was that a new station opened soon after, 100.3 JACK FM.  First station I've ever heard of with NO DJs.  None.  And they play a huge eclectic list of music including a lot of 80s stuff you don't hear anymore.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 06:41:47 PM »

Sirius Satellite Radio is your friend. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 07:45:59 PM »

Same exact thing happened with WHFS in DC.  Big flare up over it for a while, but that's just how it goes.  They always do it abruptly so that the DJ's don't have a chance to badmouth the parent company on the air.  Sucks, big time.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 08:54:54 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
the current trend up here in seattle is to turn decent rock stations (ok, not that decent but the about as good as radio gets anymore) into a mindless mix of 80's, 90's and the same boring shit you hear from the last few years.  

Fuck, if I wanted to listen to crappy 80's radio I'd turn it to the 80's station!  Just because your market was waning when you played the same 10 songs every hour doesn't mean that you need to play the same songs that were popular 15 years ago.  They say that "we now play deeper tracks on the albums that you want to hear", but it just means "we now play more OLD Pearl Jam and Sublime that you didn't need to hear again".  

Radio is the suck, and I don't know why they can't realize that.

"The End"  just sucks now.  all that "original alternative" crap just stinks to high heaven.  i think it's funny that all the could come up with was just simply what kroq does.  there are no really good stations left on the airs up here.  even kisw has worn out its welcome.  if they fired that unfunny jackass "the ricker"  i might just listen to the station again.  but then i realize that all they play is metallica, ozzy and the occasional van halen.  

bah.  screw radio, i'd rather listen to clear music on cd than all that crap

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 04:41:24 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
SAme thing happened in Dallas a year or so back, when 97.1 the Eagle (hard rock for at least 15 years) suddenly became 'Sunny 97.1', which was, you guessed it, the mix of 80s and 90s.

The good news was that a new station opened soon after, 100.3 JACK FM.  First station I've ever heard of with NO DJs.  None.  And they play a huge eclectic list of music including a lot of 80s stuff you don't hear anymore.

I refer to Sunny 97.1 as the middle-aged make-out music channel.  Jack is ok, and they do play a lot of stuff you normally wouldn't hear.  But they also play an equal amount of crappy (and I mean really bad) songs that should've remained in the trash can.  It truly is a mix and not a station I can just leave on.

I just got XM Radio.  Local talk radio is the only reason to tune in to regular radio now.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 04:57:31 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I just got XM Radio.  Local talk radio is the only reason to tune in to regular radio now.

And commercials, if you like that sort of thing. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 07:14:15 PM »

The loss of Zeta sucked, it finally pushed me to the point of going sat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: