http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:29:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What book/book series do you wish you could read again for the first time?  (Read 971 times)
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »

Walking through Barnes & Noble, I saw a display of Harry Potter books, and I was thinking that I would love to experience that series for the first time again. I reread it every few years, but it obviously isn't the same as reading it new. I could say the same thing about Lord of the Rings, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, The Stand, etc., but at that moment, I just wanted to get lost in the Harry Potter universe again.

So what about y'all smelly pirate hookers?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »

Excited for this thread. Hope to get some good recommendations.

LOTR comes to mind especially The Two Towers.

I'd also add the first 3 books of Song of Ice and Fire.

Top two:

The River Why: An amazing under-recognized American classic by David James Duncan. It is a true masterwork.

Number One:  Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. I read it again about every 3 years and it still makes me shake my head in wonder at the artistry of Steinbeck.

Honorable Mention: The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Sparse and brilliant.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.  Hands down my all time favorite book series.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »

Harry Potter and LOTR are definites

The Dark Tower is another,infact i really should read these again with the Wind through the keyhole inserted in the order to see the difference

The good thing is that my memory,while kickass for movies is dogshit for books,so if i read The Stand now(which i know is in my top 5 books of all time),i probably won't remember that much when reading a certain part in that book,infact i would most probably remember the scene from the mini series that i have on DVD,rather than when i read it in the past...right now thinking of the Stand i just think of Rob Lowe or Molly Ringwold or the guy who played Flagg saying "pleased to meet you,hope you guess my name" outside the jail cell

Sherlock Holmes,Three Musketeers...all my favourite books would probably make this list

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »

Question re: The Stand.

Never read it. Not a huge SK fan. But I really enjoyed the miniseries with Sinise...20 years ago?

Still worth the read if I kinda already know what happens?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:20:21 PM »

I've actually never read either Harry Potter or the Dark Tower series.  Never bothered with any of the Potter films either...that entire phenomenon passed my by.

Probably should get around to those someday.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »

Yeah, The Harry Potter series is a must. The first two books are more...basic, due to the intended audience being younger, but they are still good reads, and contain important plot points that crop up in later books. Prisoner of Azkhaban is where it starts getting more mature and a little darker, and the last 4 book continue that progression quite nicely. Rowling could have done with some tighter editing, as a couple of books, especially Order of the Phoenix, are a little bloated, but there isn't a bad book in the bunch.

Re: The Stand, if you don't like Stephen King, you may have some issues with the book, because it is quintessential King, with all of his quirks. Nevertheless, there is so much that the miniseries glossed over, or outright cut, that is worth checking out.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 28, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

I've actually never read either Harry Potter or the Dark Tower series.  Never bothered with any of the Potter films either...that entire phenomenon passed my by.

Probably should get around to those someday.

The first book is enjoyable but notably aimed just for children and you will read through it in a couple of hours,if that....but as the series goes on,it gets a lot darker and aimed more at young adults than children(but it seemed all ages got into it)...they are very fun books though,and certain characters you will be swearing at the pages over(especially if thinking of certain asshole teachers you had at school paranoid )

The films are just as fun,but unfortunately quite a lot gets cut,but everybody is perfectly cast,if you don't mind an all British cast....Warner Bros,Summer Blockbuster and John Williams soundtrack..can't go wrong icon_biggrin

Dark Tower books are unique really,they mix a Clint Eastwood western with Sci Fi and Horror(not including Westworld Tongue)and have very memorable characters and situations...i mean if i said "Blaine is a pain" to everyone else,they know exactly what i mean(one of the best parts of the series IMO)

God,i loved the riddles just like how i loved the riddles in The Hobbit

also note,that The Dark Tower,somehow makes its way into a lot of other Stephen King books,from The Talisman/Dark House to even The Stand and 'Salem's Lot and Vice Versa just small things,but they make me smile when i come across them

Quote from: ATB on May 28, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

Never read it. Not a huge SK fan. But I really enjoyed the miniseries with Sinise...20 years ago?

its in my top 5,all i can say is Yes it's still worth a read..its a big book though(i have the updated version),maybe even for Stephen King,LOL

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »

Dragonlance Chronicles

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »

or maybe the Lord of the Rings, but then again it took me forever to get into the first book of that series...

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 28, 2013, 08:50:10 PM

The first book is enjoyable but notably aimed just for children and you will read through it in a couple of hours,if that....but as the series goes on,it gets a lot darker and aimed more at young adults than children(but it seemed all ages got into it)

Honestly, this is why I avoided it in the first place.  I've always had this big mental block of "this is for kids", but I suppose I should just set that aside and give it a shot.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »

I'd like to be able to read the Honor Harrington series by David Weber for the first time.

I enjoy the space opera'ish setting and the character development that happens throughout the series.  Haven't read the last couple of books though, heard less than stellar things.

Also would enjoy reading the War God's Own series fresh. Also by David Weber.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »

The Stand is generally the favorite book of King fans. It's not my favorite, but I do think it's very good. I've alwys disliked the ending a lot. I also recommend the original version over the unabridged version. There's a reason long winded authors need editors.

I love the Dark Tower but the ending and the added meta-fiction added to the final two books were very disappointing for me. I need to check out the wind in the keyhole, which may warrant a whole series reread....

The Harry Potter books are awesome. While the first two books are lighter and slightly more youth oriented, I just love them. I love the potter universe and the introduction to it is just wonderful. Plus, the potter series has a great, very satisfying ending.

Now that it is mercifully complete, it's easy to recommend the Wheel of Time. Great ending.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »

Eh, if you're going to tackle the Wheel of Time series, read the unabridged version of The Stand. At that point, filler is no obstacle for you.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:10 AM »

The Children's War by JN Stroyar so I can feel THAT feeling again. You know, the crushing feeling of leaving characters you feel like you've known your entire life.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »

John Varley's, Titan, Wizard, Demon trilogy. Only just started getting in to sci-fi when I read this one and it just blew me away. Unfortunately all the other books I read from him have fallen way short of that series.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 28, 2013, 09:43:40 PM

Dragonlance Chronicles

This was my first thought, actually.  I discovered them in 7th grade and read them voraciously. I had never heard of Tolkien or LOTR or any of that stuff so I was completely mesmerized by the 'originality' and scope.

The reason I didn't put it, though, was that I tried to re-read them as an adult  just found the writing appallingly bad.

But I guess the thread is read again for the first time slywink.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 01:13:24 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on May 29, 2013, 12:09:28 AM

Eh, if you're going to tackle the Wheel of Time series, read the unabridged version of The Stand. At that point, filler is no obstacle for you.

1200 pages is the uncut version right?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 01:36:39 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 29, 2013, 01:13:24 AM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on May 29, 2013, 12:09:28 AM

1200 pages is the uncut version right?

Yeah, and while there is some bloat, it really fleshes out certain characters and scenes. I feel like it's worth the bloat, but YMMV.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 02:23:24 AM »

Tarzan of the Apes
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 03:10:27 AM »

Theres a bunch of stuff that I wish I could do that for.  The first that comes to mind is The Foundation Trilogy by Issac Asimov.   Another series I devoured as a kid was The Lensman series by E.E. "Doc" Smith.  Its pure space opera from the golden age of sci-fi.

Regarding ATB's question re: The Stand.   YES! READ IT!  It is imho King at his absolute best.  I really enjoyed the mini series but it didnt come close to doing the book justice.  It is one of my all time favorites.  Also, if you like books of that genre, do yourself a favor and grab Swan Song, by Robert Mc Cammon  ( Also check out Boys Life, also by McCammon, its fantastic! )

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
GGIronSkull
Gaming Trend Reader

Up the Irons!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 05:39:41 AM »

Besides all the great books mentioned above, I would have to add these few choices as well.

The Black Company by Glen Cook.

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling.

If you could put all 12 billion pages into one book...then the Malazan books

Same with the Dresden files.

One that I found as a freebie on amazon that I actually liked was by Michael Hicks:    In her name: Redemption.  

EDIT:  almost forgot "To Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust.
Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg was much like the Dragonlance chronicles as a kid in Jr. High.   Great then, but almost painful to read now.

Computer-A-Thon:   C.A.T.

3 days of sleep deprivation, Thai Food, and trash talking, all centered around making the network gods smile upon us so that we may smoke, frag, hack, kerplode, and otherwise beat upon your friends in a basement in Idaho.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »

For me, the number one answer to this question would have to be "A Prayer for Owen Meany".
I'd also like to be able to reread all the Calvin and Hobbes comics for the first time.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »

Having had a collection upwards of 15,000 books i can admit to never reading any of the Harry Potter stuff. Watched the films and never really like them.

My redos are not actually high literature but more basic.

My favourite book series is Liege Killer by Christopher Hinz, first book is my fav and features a character called Reemul.

David Gemmell, love his books, Waylander the Slayer and Druss the Legend.

Anne Rice - the first 5 vampire books especially The Vampire Lestat

Enid Blyton - The Magic Kingdom and Faraway Tree - These bring back so many happy childhood memories that being able to recapture them would be amazing.

Brian Lumley - Necroscope - Great vampires and Harry Keogh as someone who can talk to the dead is a superb hero. This series started my penchant for all things vampiric outside the current twilight type of crap. Vampires as violent, scary, evil, intelligent is how it should be and Necroscope is all this.

George R Martin - Fevre Dreams - Vampires on the Mississippi River in the 1800's.

King - Salem's Lot, Stand and IT ( which gave me nightmares for a week as a kid)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:29:24 AM by Reemul » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »

if you didn't like the films of Harry Potter chances are you probably won't like the books either as although they cut a lot out to fit that 2 and a half hour time frame,everything else is pretty spot on

Your Enid Blyton mention made me think of the books i read as a kid,and Judy Blume Tales of a fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge would love to read for the first time,but admittedly i would still need to be a kid to appreciate them all over again(i have the newer Fudge books as well but not as good IMO...although i was in my 30s when i read them,LOL)

Dan Brown-Angels and Demons and DeVinci Code...but before all the bullshit/fame started

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »

Reemul - David Gemmel is awesome, nice recommendation. So sad that he died before completing the last series.

I'd love to restart the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson.  I remember after reading the first book, I had no idea what was going on. Then, the journey as you read more books and slowly the world, its characters and pantheon so to speak, unfolds and you suddenly understand what was going on. The epic scope of all 10 books, is somehing I haven't seen matched in any other series, and the fact that the smallest details that made little sense in the early books, are NOT forgotten, but expanded and explained upon in the later series, shows very good craftmansship from Steve Erikson.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 28, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

I'd say there's enough differences and stuff that didn't make it in to be worth it.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on May 29, 2013, 09:24:59 AM

Brian Lumley - Necroscope - Great vampires and Harry Keogh as someone who can talk to the dead is a superb hero. This series started my penchant for all things vampiric outside the current twilight type of crap. Vampires as violent, scary, evil, intelligent is how it should be and Necroscope is all this.

Dear goodness, this +1000. The first five books, anyways (the original series).

I`d also put forth that the Belgariad (David Eddings) would be nice to be a fresh read - if you have older kids, it`s a great family book to read together.

I`d love to read the Adept series completely fresh, as well as the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

The other one that springs to mind is the Videssos Cycle (Misplaced Legion series). Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:28:23 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »

Wolves on the Border - Robert N. Charrette - One of the best battletech novels. Set up the rivalry between the Draconis Combine and The Wolf's Dragoons.

Heir to the Dragon - Robert N. Charrette - Again one of the best Battletech novel.   This novel made me a fan of the Draconis Combine

Never Deal with a Dragon  - Robert N. Charrette - This was best book in this series with some profound world changing events occuring

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

This is still fresh in my mind, but I wish I could read the first 2 books of Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles again for the first time.  Both Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear were fun to read.

As has already been said, the first 3 books of A Song of Ice and Fire were excellent.

I wish I could read Ender's Game again for the first time.  I loved that book in high school.  

Like some have already said, The Stand was such a good novel, especially at that time in my life.  I know this is going to sound like marketing hyperbole, but when I was reading The Stand, I felt like I was in that world, on that same grueling journey.  It took me a long time to finish in high school, but it was so good.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett was another novel that made me feel like I was in that world with those characters.  That book was a great escape for me during a tough semester in college.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:19:54 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 03:20:02 AM »

Ooh Pillars of the Earth was great.
I'm going to have to check out that necro book.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 04:53:40 AM »

Think it was said above...the adept series by piers anthony.

I was about 10 when I read the first couple.  I wonder what old me would think of them?  smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »

Silmarillion...Lord of The Rings.....The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

I would say the Bible...but I read that frequently and I'm always finding something new and exciting in it....

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 31, 2013, 02:00:37 PM

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Tell me more.  Never heard of this.  Also, not sure I'd want to read one book about him.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 31, 2013, 03:06:06 PM

Quote from: Arclight on May 31, 2013, 02:00:37 PM

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Tell me more.  Never heard of this.  Also, not sure I'd want to read one book about him.

I have this in the 'Tales From A Perilous Realm' from Tolkien,it includes The Adventures of Tom Bombadil,Leaf by Niggle,Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham.......only 175 pages in all

I have read them all,but honestly can't remember any,LOL

its in a 3 pack case with The Hobbit and Roverandom all paperbacks

EDIT: Just flicked through 'Tom Bombadil',and should've known...its all one big poem/lyric/whatever...which i think is how he was in Lord of the Rings,IIRC

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:00:13 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

I don't think reading Harry Potter for the first time now would be as fun. A lot of the fun was the fact that everyone was reading it at the same time and wondering what was going to happen. It's like that comic where the person plays Portal 5 years after it was released.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 31, 2013, 04:03:15 PM

I don't think reading Harry Potter for the first time now would be as fun. A lot of the fun was the fact that everyone was reading it at the same time and wondering what was going to happen.

good point.  you'd have to time travel back to the times they were released for the proper effect.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »

I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers, and I didn't really care what others were thinking about Harry Potter, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 02:10:01 AM »

Quote from: gangeli on May 31, 2013, 04:53:40 AM

Think it was said above...the adept series by piers anthony.

I was about 10 when I read the first couple.  I wonder what old me would think of them?  smile

Spoiler for Hiden:

Naked serfs.....mmmmmmmm.  The same thing my teenage self thought.  Tongue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »

Asimov's Foundation Trilogy for sure, followed by The Lord of the Rings trilogy and thirdly the Dragon Below Trilogy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: