http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your pet peeves?  (Read 2730 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2005, 04:38:24 AM »

Once again on break at work and one of my biggest pet peeves is currently happening so I thought I would pose a question to everyone - what are all of your pet peeves?

First and foremost, I dislike the loud chewing/eating person.  Well, I don't dislike the PERSON but I dislike the act.  Why do I have to hear your lip smackums from across the room?  Simmer down now, simmer down!

Going along with this is the loud breathing person.  Now, it's OK if you have a stuffy nose and such.  But if I hear general wheezie-ness from you for an extended period of time my head wants to explode.

And then we have the open-mouth for no particular reason person.  He/she could be just driving.  Or sitting somewhere, enjoying a view.  Or reading.  Perhaps standing in a line.  Or playing games.  But why oh why do people have to just have their mouths open for an extended time?  I have a friend of mine who does this from time to time when we play games.  He is a open-mouth for no particular reason and play with your tongue on the inside lip person.  He is special in this regard.

I suppose that's about all I can think of at the moment.  I have more, believe you me, but it's hard to think with all of the lip smackums going on . . .

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 05:00:40 AM »

People that are late.  I knew a Brazillian girl that was ALWAYS late.  Everybody thought it was hilarious that she was always late whenever we were doing stuff.  Everybody except me.  If she was doing it on purpose then I'd be pissed, but I think it's just a cultural thing.

I'm always early, which might put some people off, but at least I can wait out in the car or something.  If you know you are always late then plan ahead and tell me 4:15, not 4.  My grandparents were always late but at least they were old!

No excuse for loud eaters.  Slobs.
Some people are just mouth-breathers.  Might be a medical reason.  I'd suspect loud breathing has to be because there just doesn't seem to be any reason for it.  Thankfully I don't know anybody with the mouth agape problem.

Post-padders.

Now I'm just going to have to stew in my own juices while I rage.  My blood pressure, I can feel it rising.  Seriously, this whole lateness thing is a fucking psychosis.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 05:36:57 AM »

People who stop to merge into traffic.
 :evil:

People who use the word "so" in this fashion:
That is so not cool.

among other things...

warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 05:59:45 AM »

Opinionated middle-aged overweight women who corner you and then never stop talking.

This seems to happen at work quite a bit.  It's very weird.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 09:06:05 AM »

I love my wife dearly but, for god's sake woman,shut up once in awhile! And now I'm in trouble.  :shock:

Ye Olde Farte
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
I love my wife dearly but, for god's sake woman,shut up once in awhile! And now I'm in trouble.  :shock:

Oh man! Exactly. Nail on the head there.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 03:52:03 PM »

First and foremost, I dislike the loud chewing/eating person. Well, I don't dislike the PERSON but I dislike the act. Why do I have to hear your lip smackums from across the room? Simmer down now, simmer down!

DITTO! I have a friend who is VERY FUCKING LOUD when he eats. I tell him all the time, CLOSE YOU FUCKING MOUTH! I don't want your food on my plate after it has been chewed to slime. Then he has this habit of continuing to chew and smack his chops and tongue around in a very loud manner LONG AFTER HE HAS EATEN!

Oh my god, everyone tells him that it is annoying yet he continually does it. He blames it on his childhood. He grew up around 6 kids and they would all rush to the table to eat dinner as fast as possible or you would starve for the night. His parents obviously did not teach simple table manners and he is the result of the absence of these teachings.

God damn, NOW I AM PISSED.

:evil:  :x

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 07:56:34 PM »

Lol, good read. My answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE :twisted: !!!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 08:41:13 PM »

Pet peeves? If I to pinpoint a few, ooh, I'd go with...

Long Loud Repeated Yawners - Okay, look.. I know I work the nightshift, and if you gotta yawn, then yawn. But don't make a friggin' theatrical presentation of it every 3 minutes. YaaaaAAAAAaaaAAOOAAOOOAAAOOOAAAwwWWWaaaWWWwaaahhnngggghhhaannn. I GET IT.

Nail Clippers - Back in my travel-by-bus days... I've got no problem with people clipping their nails, but um, how about NOT doing it right next to me, when we're on a public bus filled with people, I'm trapped on the window seat, and am therefore forced to physically dodge the incoming projectile nailbits so that they don't puncture my eyes?

"Screen" Cellphoners in the movies - You're in a movie. There's a reason why the lights are out. This might not be the best time to do some funky-ass text messaging with your buddies, and thereby casting a sixteen-foot beam of light towards anyone sitting behind you from your spiffy new flatscreen cellphone. We get it. It's neat. Now stop.

Audible Gum Chewers - Hey, I like gum. I chew it too. I just chew it with my mouth closed. So, just pretend that you're still eating, so as to not do it with your mouth open. Having to listen to loud chnk-chnk-chnk-chnk noices while you talk is... distracting.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »

Furries

Just Hiro will do.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »

some of mine:

People who ask me questions when they already know that answers.  I don't know if they are testing me or just want reassurance, and frankly I don't care.

People who look at my food when I'm eating.  Related to that, people asking me about my eating habits while I'm eating "So, why don't you like catsup on your french fries?".

People who call me then ask me to hang on while they deal with something 'real quick', such as another call.

People who swing out a bit left before they make a right turn while driving.  I don't know why they do that but if you are making a right turn, there is no reason it should impact me as I drive by you on the left.

People who take kids to R rated movies.

People who make empty threats.  You know the type "if he doesn't stop doing... I'm gonna kick his ass".  Uh, either kick his ass or don't, but I don't want to hear you talk about it.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 09:48:54 PM »

I don't like people who start topics on pet peeves.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 09:50:03 PM »

Sheesh.  I've never seen so many petty peeves.  You all must be loads of fun to hang out with.  :-P
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »

Furries are most certainly not petty, sir.

Just Hiro will do.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 09:56:44 PM »

People who sneeze extremely loudly.  I can stop myself from sneezing 90% of the time, and when I can't, I can usually muffle it.  Don't tell me you can't help it.

Grown adults that go to concerts and revert back to their teen years. My past three concert experiences have been practically ruined by people older than me who insist on getting ridiculously drunk, then having absolutely no respect for the people around them.  Stay out of my personal space - I got here three hours early to get a good seat - you can "party" further back like everyone else who arrived after me;  Don't be flicking your cigarette ashes on my blanket - it's not your personal ashtray; Stop that piercing whistling after every song - it's not impressing anyone.  I swear, last night I thought I was about to be the first person to start a fistfight at a James Taylor concert smile

Oh, one more - the widespread misspelling of the word "ridiculous"
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 10:22:07 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
I don't like people who start topics on pet peeves.

I have a pet peeve with smart asses.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 10:48:56 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

One of these days you are going to have to expand on your absolute hatred of furries.   smile

A couple pet peeves of mine:

Using the words gay or retarded as an adjective to describe things that are considered to be "uncool."

"Not to interrupt, but..."

Being greeted by the Electronics Dept. as "guy."  Hey guy...

Oh and pet peeves almost by definition are petty.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 11:12:59 PM »

Quote from: "Enough"

One of these days you are going to have to expand on your absolute hatred of furries.   smile

"There was this one time, at cos-play camp..."  :twisted:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »

"Not to interrupt, but..."

Along those same lines, ANY disclaimer:

"I hope you won't be offended, but...."
"Don't take this the wrong way, but...."
"Not to be mean, but...."
"I'm not racist, but..."

Crap like that.   If they're gonna say, they might as well just spit it out without qualification.  It's not like those people are fooling anyone about their motives, regardless of those disclaimers.

Sort of like when you go to someone'e home and they say "Sorry about the mess..."

What the HELL is that supposed to mean?  Am I supposed to think "Hmm, their home is normally very clean, too bad I couldn't visit at one of those times."  
OR
"They are telling me that, yes, they know the house is a mess. And they have decided to leave it that way instead of clean it."
OR
"Let's just pretend I care about how clean you think my home is."
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 11:43:03 PM »

God, I hate loud eaters. I have a friend I don't eat with because they smack, and their mouths hang open and its sick. I can't eat while watching that. Sick, sick, sick.

Slow drivers drive me nuts. Get out of my way. Jesus.

People who talk slowly or take forever to get to the point .... not my favorite people. My time is too valuable to listen to you stammer. Just spit it out.

Coffee. I hate coffee. The stench of that noxious beverage immediately removes my appetite. Coffee is bad. There will never be a coffee maker in any home in which I live.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 12:00:19 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
People who sneeze extremely loudly.  I can stop myself from sneezing 90% of the time, and when I can't, I can usually muffle it.  Don't tell me you can't help it.

I can't help it. And I do sneeze loud. Asshole slywink

But seriously. I've been able to stop myself from sneezing maybe twice in my entire life. I can do the hold the finger under the nose, try and hold my breath, etc, etc... none of it works.

It still sounds like a small explosive device was set off everytime I sneeze.

Can't help it.

On to the pet peeves:

I'm going to echo people who stop to merge into traffic. Good lord people.

This next one is a full on rant:
Elderly drivers who probably shouldn't be driving anymore: They drive at least 10 or 15mph below the speed limit, it takes them 10 minutes to park and get out of the way, they come to a complete stop before making any turns, and in many situations they can't see well enough to judge distance. I live a fairly short distance from a retirement home, and I see them run into concrete poles in parking lots, bump other cars, back into flower beds, and the list goes on. God help you if you leave your house around noon on a sunday around here. They're out by the thousands, and it's impossible to go anywhere that has stoplights or frequent stop-signs.

I'm not saying it to be mean, and I know some elderly people are good drivers, or maybe better drivers than myself. I understand that. What I do think is that we need a system where drivers have to re-take their drivers test after a reasonable number of years. The older you get, the more often you should have to re-take your test.
end rant

People who throw their cigarette butts out the windows of their moving cars on the interstate. Especially the ones who throw them directly into cars driving next to them. One day someone's going to throw a cigarette into my car. I have no idea what I may or may not do if it happens. Not only are you littering, but you're throwing a burning object at someone else's personal property.

And you know what really grinds my gears?

Women that don't know what they want.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 12:00:27 AM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
Coffee. I hate coffee. The stench of that noxious beverage immediately removes my appetite. Coffee is bad. There will never be a coffee maker in any home in which I live.

I like the smell of coffee even though I don't drink it (the beans, that is).  I also like the smell of cigarette tobacco (unlit) but I don't like the smoke...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 12:13:17 AM »

A woman that smells like cigerettes and coffee = my kind of girl.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 03:27:41 AM »

Just about everything mentioned in here.
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 07:17:29 AM »

My pet rock is named Peeves

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 07:33:48 AM »

As far as mouth breathing goes?  Yeah, the other poster was right, sometimes it's medical.

I can't breath through my nose about 90% of the time due to extreme sinusitis.  I get sinus attacks whenever the weather changes, and I get allergies on top of that.  I also have a deviated septum, or so I'm told.  The way around it -may- be to have my nose surgically broken and fixed, but I don't know that it'll work and can't afford it anyway.  

What I deal with:  Beyond having a bad case of dry mouth almost all the time and needing to drink nearly constantly to keep from dehydrating, my lips crack at night, I wake up with a serious case of morning mouth and my teeth and tongue get pretty damn gummy at that time.  

But y'know what?  I'll take every bit of it over what our petty little society thinks is 'hip' or 'cool' or 'popular'.  biggrin
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 04:35:25 PM »

People who do not define acronyms when using them for the first time.  It happens alot here at Console Gold (CG).

For example, it took me forever to figure out what the heck MOH stood for!  (Medal of Honor).

Define it the first time and then you can use it liberally!

biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 08:00:51 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
People who do not define acronyms when using them for the first time.

biggrin

Similarly, a messageboard peeve of mine is when people reference other posts or threads as if anyone reading their current post has also read the previous ones and knows what they are talking about.

If you are gonna reference another thread or post then do it as if NO ONE else has read them yet, and provide either a link to what you are referencing or a brief summary of it.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 08:43:04 PM »

I have a rant somewhere, maybe I did it in Gone Gold.  To say it's an "absolute hatred" is a severe understatement.  I don't want my kids to go to the same schools as furries.  I want seperate (but equal) bathroom and drinking fountains for furries.

A furry-themed Ask SuperHiro! is inevitable, I just need to find the right pieces.  It'll probably be a 30 page epic.

Just Hiro will do.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 09:24:08 PM »

I just can't stand the "The world is my personal ashtray" mentality.  I used to smoke...and every car I've been in has an ASHTRAY, so USE IT!  Every morning its the same smacktards flicking their ciggs out the window and onto the highway.  

Peeve #2 is the damned yap yap yap yap in the movie theater.  I can deal with Mr. Cellphone texting his buddies, but the constant yammer of the idiots around me drives me insane.  I just can't go to a movie on a Friday or Saturday night.  The only option is matinee some other day or my head asplode.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »

Talking in theaters I can deal with, to me that's part of being around people- they talk.

What gets my goat is stupid unnecessary stuff like having my seat kicked, or worse, someone behind me thinking they can put their feet up on the back of my seat.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 10:21:44 PM »

feet up on the back of my seat.

Uhm...that = me taking a foot home with me.  It was in my space...its mine now.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2005, 12:31:25 PM »

What really grinds my gears is when I cannot find the droids I am looking for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: