http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 09:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your favourite series of films?  (Read 1210 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

I don't know if its because The Dark Knight films have come to a close or whether it's because i have just bought the Back to the Future Trilogy on Blu-Ray icon_cool But what are your favourite series of films?,have you thought about it before,have you chosen your favourite before?

I know a few series of films have been quite spoilt by certain sequels(Or prequels),whether it be Star Wars,Indiana Jones,Matrix or The Godfather to name a few that have had controversial chapters,but maybe without or with those black sheep chapters they still stand head and shoulders above others and still considered your favourite series or maybe its a series of films that have no weak spot(i can name one or two,IMO anyway)

maybe you think some chapters/sequels/prequels have been hard done by and they don't spoil your choices like it seemingly does for everyone else ..for example i still quite enjoyed The Godfather III unlike seemingly most people,

So,what are they?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »

The Lord of the Rings trilogy...in my opinion, perfect in just about every way.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »

Resident Evil by far. I hope they keep putting them until Milla is too old to do them anymore.

By the way you spelled "favorite" wrong.  icon_wink

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »

Quote from: disarm on July 28, 2012, 01:08:09 AM

The Lord of the Rings trilogy...in my opinion, perfect in just about every way.

I have to go with this one.... for now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:35:49 AM »

Yeah, it's between LotR and the Dark Knight trilogy. Both series were just brilliantly executed in all phases.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

I think the Avengers movies are up there for me. Throughout high school I would talk with my friend about how awesome it would be if they signed actors to their characters instead of just one film series. I've enjoyed each of the movies so far, and hope that they can continue to put out great movies.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

The recent Dark Knight series is of course a personal favorite, but I'm going to have to be the first to also mention the Harry Potter series.  While not without its faults, the films as a whole did an amazing job of bringing to life a beloved book franchise.  It is no small feat to translate such popular written content to an accurate portrayal on film, and when considering the look of the set pieces, the authenticity of characters, and matching the emotional impact felt from the original texts, the series filmmakers exceeded all of my personal expectations.  The Harry Potter series is not only a favorite film collection, but a true achievement in the translation from text to big screen.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 28, 2012, 01:21:40 AM

Resident Evil by far. I hope they keep putting them until Milla is too old to do them anymore.

By the way you spelled "favorite" wrong.  icon_wink

I'm more than a little shocked that Resident Evil got mentioned before the original Star Wars trilogy.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 29, 2012, 08:57:03 PM

By the way you spelled "favorite" wrong.  icon_wink

I'm more than a little shocked that Resident Evil got mentioned before the original Star Wars trilogy.

Probably because while considering the original triology, one cannot ignore the prequel abominations, inevitably damaging the series as a whole.

For me the same can be said about the Godfather series.  The first two films are cinematic achievements of few equals (if any), but III was so bad as to take the series as a whole off of my list.  If I could ignore III then The Godfather would be an easy choice, but if I cannot ignore III, then the same stipulation applies to the Star Wars series.

The Indiana Jones series might also succumb to this reasoning, with the original trilogy being loved by many, but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap having unfortunately tainted the collection as a whole.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:05:10 PM by PeteRock » Logged

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2012, 09:02:56 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 29, 2012, 08:57:03 PM

By the way you spelled "favorite" wrong.  icon_wink

Probably because while considering the original triology, one cannot ignore the prequel abominations, inevitably damaging the series as a whole.

For me the same can be said about the Godfather series.  The first two films are cinematic achievements of few equals (if any), but III was so bad as to take the series as a whole off of my list.  If I could ignore III then The Godfather would be an easy choice, but if I cannot ignore III, then the same stipulation applies to the Star Wars series.

The Indiana Jones series might also succumb to this reasoning, with the original trilogy being loved by many, but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap having unfortunately tainted the collection as a whole.

Well, I would argue that there is a clean delineation between Star Wars OT and the prequels, which have diminished my appreciation of the OT in absolutely no way.

And again, someone brought up Resident Evil... disgust

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 29, 2012, 09:19:50 PM

Well, I would argue that there is a clean delineation between Star Wars OT and the prequels, which have diminished my appreciation of the OT in absolutely no way.

In that case, Return of the Jedi does diminish my appreciation of the OT, so even ignoring the added installments, RotJ is too flawed for me to include Star Wars in my list of top series.

And again, someone brought up Resident Evil... disgust

I found the claim to be so outlandish that I assumed it to be a joke.  It wasn't?   icon_eek

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »

As a whole Id have to go with LOTR.  The fact is that most good series have a clunker in them.  The Indiana Jones series, for example.  I didnt dislike Indy 4, like so many did but it certainly pales in comparison to Raiders ( one of the best movies ever made ).  Same thing with StarWars.  I didnt dislike the prequel trilogy with the vehemence that so many have but they do bring the series down as a whole.    LOTR is the rare exception where all of the movies are excellent.
 Oh and Resident Evil?!  Yeah I like Milla but there has been way too much crap in that series (and Im talking Uwe Boll level of crap)  Considering I dont dislike Indy 4, thats saying a lot.   Of course one mans poison is another mans pleasure so  thumbsup for enjoying the RE movies as much as you do, Corruptrelic

Ill give honorable mention to Bond, who has persevered through ( counting the unreleased Skyfall ) 23 movies.  Now thats longevity!  While not all of them have been great and the best years for Bond were decades ago with Connery, I havent seen a Bond movie that I found unwatchable and the vast majority were pretty darn entertaining.  I have liked Daniel Craig's turn as Bond but I think its time that they allow Bond to enjoy being a spy once again.  I understand the first two Craig movies were an origin reboot story and a dark one at that but I do miss the fun factor in the earlier Bonds.  Anyway, while Bond may not be my favorite movie series, I consider it the greatest of all time.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »

As a Philadelphian, I am ashamed to have forgotten my absolute favorite series of all time: Rocky.   icon_redface

Not sure how that happened.  Probably too fixated on recent offerings.

I also really enjoy the Die Hard series. 

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »

Alien. All of them. YES ALL OF THEM.

Oh and I like 2001 and 2010 a lot too.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on July 29, 2012, 10:50:23 PM

Alien. All of them. YES ALL OF THEM. (yes, even the Alien vs. Predator movies.)

Oh and I like 2001 and 2010 a lot too.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 11:47:42 PM »

I don't think you can pick just one.  The Star Wars OT.  Alien/Aliens.  The Nolan Batman ones.  LotR.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:47 PM »

yeah i thought LOTR would get a lot of votes,i wonder what they would of been like had they been filmed spearately.....some films have the same feel when filmed together,like matrix 2 and 3 disgust

I just wanna put the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western Trilogy out there,all 3 are fantastic films

I'm interested in seeing the new Bourne film,and seeing if that can at least be on par with the Matt Damon trilogy which i enjoyed

Bond is a good answer,they seem to keep with the times so they don't get dull(apart from when its time to replace the actor....seriously i loved A View To A Kill but Roger Moore staring me out was starting to scare me)

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »

The Godfather series

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 12:04:52 AM »

Assuming you can't just ignore movies in a series because you don't like them, I think for now I'd have to also say the Avengers series.  It's also quite a few movies without any of them completely shitting it up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »

if we can pick more than one then I'll also add that I'm also quite fond of all the Rambo flicks.  Star Wars gets honorable mention , it would have gotten more if they had gone with Wookies over Ewoks biggrin

Because I can,
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »

It's so hard to pick with so any favorites including Die Hard, Lethal Weapon (it was long before Mel revealed what a douche-waffle he is), Godfather, and Indiana Jones. Oh, special mention for Chan-wook Park's revenge trilogy. - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, and Oldboy. I just marathoned these three over the weekend.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 03:42:14 AM »

My favorite series is the Back to the Future trilogy.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 04:50:03 AM »

The Thin Man series of films from the 30s and 40's. There  were 6 all told and not a bad 1 amongst them and 3 were critically acclaimed in their day. IMO William Powell and Myrna Loy still stand as the best Husband & Wife protagonists in any film series.

After that I'd go with the Harry Potter movies. Everyone of them was good, some outstanding, and they did justice to the source material novels. As well, there's really no other long-running film series where we got to see the cast grow up into adulthood.

My third runner up would be the Zaitochi Blind Swordsman series of films from 1962-72. There were 16 films in that series and only a couple of them that weren't really good. Besides, a blind, gambling masseur that has a lethal blade concealed in his walking cane is just way too cool a protagonist!  slywink thumbsup
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:51:55 AM by kronovan » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 05:21:38 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 30, 2012, 03:42:14 AM

My favorite series is the Back to the Future trilogy.

Did you forget Back to the Future 2 is in there? 

In every series there always seems to be at least one sub-par entry. I would have said Indy until Indy 4 came out. I think all the Evil Dead movies are solid in their own way. Haven't seen the third Dark Night yet, but it has a good shot. All 3 Toy Story movies are good.

I'll say though, for consistent entertainment value, if a Bond movie is on, there's a good chance I'll watch it, even the ones that aren't that great, and there's a ton of them.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »

The first three Indiana Jones movies......the fourth doesn't count.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

I can and will pretend the Star Wars prequels don't exist.  In fact, I just started watching my untouched versions of the trilogy again.  That's right.  Not the original trilogy: the trilogy.  The three Star Wars movies there are.  They get my vote.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »

Definitely the Star Wars OT for me.  I can ignore the prequels, and thought ROTJ was great, if not quite up to par with ANH and ESB.

Rocky is also up there for me, though 4 and 5 definitely marred the series somewhat.  5 was just junk.  The summer after 4 hit the theaters, it was on HBO nonstop, and I pretty much watched it every time it was on.  But in retrospect it doesn't hold up compared to the first three - it wasn't much more than an extended length music video, turned Rocky into a cartoon character, and was too much a product of it's time.  Thankfully Sly managed to redeem himself with Rocky Balboa.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »

Bond, Jack Ryan series, Evil Dead.

I enjoyed Spider Man 1,2 AND 3 (sans 3 scenes)

Xmen series (with exception given to X3:Last Stand, and Xmen:Wolverines horrid destruction of Deadpool).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »

Also, it *is* favourite. It just isn't American. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 30, 2012, 04:05:44 PM

In fact, I just started watching my untouched versions of the trilogy again.  That's right.  Not the original trilogy: the trilogy.  The three Star Wars movies there are.

you fool! George Lucas just dispatched a team of ninjas to your location to switch them out with his 'final for the time being' versions.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 30, 2012, 04:08:12 PM

Definitely the Star Wars OT for me.  I can ignore the prequels, and thought ROTJ was great, if not quite up to par with ANH and ESB.

Rocky is also up there for me, though 4 and 5 definitely marred the series somewhat.  5 was just junk.  The summer after 4 hit the theaters, it was on HBO nonstop, and I pretty much watched it every time it was on.  But in retrospect it doesn't hold up compared to the first three - it wasn't much more than an extended length music video, turned Rocky into a cartoon character, and was too much a product of it's time.  Thankfully Sly managed to redeem himself with Rocky Balboa.

how can you not like 4?  are you a commie? Tongue

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 30, 2012, 12:52:45 AM

It's so hard to pick with so any favorites including Die Hard, Lethal Weapon (it was long before Mel revealed what a douche-waffle he is), Godfather, and Indiana Jones. Oh, special mention for Chan-wook Park's revenge trilogy. - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, and Oldboy. I just marathoned these three over the weekend.

damn,i have Mr .Vengeance which is really cool,i was aware of Lady Vengeance but not Oldboy being part of the series,i will have to pick them up

Mad Max icon_biggrin...although i guess we could be in disagreement here,while i am guessing you guys will think the first one doesn't fit,its the third one for me that is the weak point...although still watchable

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 29, 2012, 11:55:47 PM

I just wanna put the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western Trilogy out there,all 3 are fantastic films

I didn't think I had a favorite series until you mentioned those. John Ford's Cavalry trilogy is up there, too. What can I say? I'm a sucker for John Wayne movies.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter and LOTR and Star Wars and Star Trek movies when they came out, but I don't have any desire to see them again.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 03:04:55 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 31, 2012, 02:18:23 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 29, 2012, 11:55:47 PM

I didn't think I had a favorite series until you mentioned those. John Ford's Cavalry trilogy is up there, too. What can I say? I'm a sucker for John Wayne movies.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter and LOTR and Star Wars and Star Trek movies when they came out, but I don't have any desire to see them again.

I hadnt thought about "The Man with No Name" Trilogy, as those movies are collectively known but thats definitely one of my favorite movies series.  Hell, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is IMHO one of the best movies ever and the ending is as classic as it gets.   thumbsup for that suggestion. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 12:27:53 AM »

Bond, James Bond.  Hands down.  The series is now 50 years old.  Then probably Star Wars 4-6, the rest never happened.  Die Hard and Lethal Weapon are two other series that kept the flame bright.  The Godfather would probably win if there hadn't been a third.

I'm going to say that LotR doesn't weather well for me.  I really can't bear re-watching it much.  There really isn't a good villain, and there's no love interest.  Sauron doesn't have any lines, and doesn't act, Saruman is ok, but is essentially a bit part.  The Nazghul and the Balrog are cool, but really don't matter much.  The themes are kind of blah.

But Bond, Bond runs the gamut.  You've got great villains, love interests, humor, the best stunts and the epitome of cool.  You've got sword fights, gun fights, laser fights.  Car chases, ski chases, underwater missiles, etc. You've got Jaws, Oddjob and Agent Triple X.  Bond defines multiple genres.

I will also throw an honorable mention towards The Naked Gun series.  Agent Frank Drebin remained funny despite how dreadful most comedy sequels are.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on August 01, 2012, 12:27:53 AM

Bond, James Bond.  Hands down.  The series is now 50 years old. 

the series popped to mind, but it is too hit and miss for me.  Loved the Connery ones and the one with Lazenby, haven't found a Roger Moore one I'm overly fond of yet, Dalton started off good but didn't last, same with Brosnan who had a good start but kind of limped to the finish line and finally we have Craig who is doing great.  that said, I do have Bond 50 preordered.

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »

Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Once Upon A Time In China (Jet Li)
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2012, 08:53:05 PM

The Harry Potter series is not only a favorite film collection, but a true achievement in the translation from text to big screen.

I'm one of the few people I know that never read the Harry Potter books. Seemingly all of my friends have read the series and are huge fans. Due to the sheer number of my friends who read the series, I always found myself going to the Harry Potter movies (sometimes even midnight premieres). And I have to say that the movies do almost nothing for me. It's one of those odd things where I can see why people would love it, but I just can't get excited about it. I don't know if that's because I never read the books, or if Harry Potter is just one of those things that's massively popular that I just don't "get".

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 11:17:21 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on August 03, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2012, 08:53:05 PM

The Harry Potter series is not only a favorite film collection, but a true achievement in the translation from text to big screen.

I'm one of the few people I know that never read the Harry Potter books. Seemingly all of my friends have read the series and are huge fans. Due to the sheer number of my friends who read the series, I always found myself going to the Harry Potter movies (sometimes even midnight premieres). And I have to say that the movies do almost nothing for me. It's one of those odd things where I can see why people would love it, but I just can't get excited about it. I don't know if that's because I never read the books, or if Harry Potter is just one of those things that's massively popular that I just don't "get".

No, the movies are very disjointed.  There are maybe 2 good ones, and the rest are extremely mediocre.  There just is not a good way to get enough necessary material into a movie and have it be a decent length and coherent to someone who hasn't read the books.  It really needed/needs to be a series, with probably one season per book, with the first few being shorter seasons, if the tale is ever to be done true justice.

PS  Go read the first book.  It's quick and good. 

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:58 AM »

Once Upon A Time In China
Police Story
Iron Monkey / Fong Sai Huk series

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: