http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 02:19:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your 2 or 3 must-finish games?  (Read 1711 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2005, 06:09:31 PM »

(I posted this here since it's neither PC nor console specific...)

I got to thinking that of all the games I've started or are halfway through there are a couple that I just really need to finish.  Games that people say are so good, maybe even classics.  But for some reason I have not finished them.

My top two are:

Tron 2.0 for PC - I started this over the summer and have loved it.  I'm about halfway through.  It's by Monolith and they are one of my favorite developers.  The game has a great visual style and is a lot of fun.  And now FEAR is coming out by the same developers.  I will finish this.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for GBA - I've also been playing this one all summer and I'm about halfway through as well.  I love RPG's as a rule but this one has been so funny, so cleverly written that I've been caught giggling out loud.  The sequel is coming out later this fall for the DS.  I will finish this one also.

I'm giving myself a month to finish the two of them.  That seems reasonable right?

What are your top two or three must-finish games?  Could you finish them in a month or two?  Will you?  Who's with me???
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:21:12 PM »

The one game I vowed to finish and did a few weeks ago was Atelier Iris.   Now I'm currently in the middle of Dungeon Siege II, so I'd like to finish that.  
Going back a ways, I had never finished Red Dead Revolver, but had some decent time put into it and I know I'm not too far from the end.  That could be next, but with the slew of games coming out, that could very well be left on the giant pile known as backlog.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 07:26:56 PM »

Great topic Warning. Off the top of my head, I am going to go with:

Jade Empire: This is more a must restart and finish since it was so long since I played that I want to restart to experience the whole thing, but it is very high on my list to play and finish.

Psychonauts: I have only played this briefly on PC and for a few hours on XBox, but its fantastic and I really want to experience the whole thing.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »

I have to beat Doom III.  I played it and then let it sit for way too long.  I think I will try and tackle a large portion of it tonight.  Not the best game ever, but fun enough for me to enjoy if I give it the time.  I just keep being lazy and doing crap instead.

Only other Possible game is Prince of Persia: WW but I doubt that will ever happen LOL. :lol:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 08:38:56 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
I have to beat Doom III.  I played it and then let it sit for way too long.  I think I will try and tackle a large portion of it tonight.  Not the best game ever, but fun enough for me to enjoy if I give it the time.  I just keep being lazy and doing crap instead.

Only other Possible game is Prince of Persia: WW but I doubt that will ever happen LOL. :lol:

I played a couple hours the other day. Wow, I hated it. Just hated it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 11:47:58 PM »

Man, lets see:
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

Beyond Good and Evil

Burnout Revenge

I have a load of PS2 games that I am no where even close to finishing that I would like to at least play a little bit more.[/b]

O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 11:58:06 PM »

Right now I'm almost at the end of Killer 7, so that's the first one.

In the near future, probably FFX. And I want to play and finish Fahrenheit and FEAR, when it comes out. I don't know if I'll manage, though. I'll find out soon enough.

My smile still stays on.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 01:27:22 AM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"

Here do this......turn out all the lights in your house.  Walk from the basement to the 2nd floor.  Meanwhile, have your cat jump out at you every 3 seconds.  There....you just finished D3.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 01:36:19 AM »

Working on Metal Gear Solid 2 currently and MGS3 after that.  I think I'm somewhat like 1/3rd through both.

And Killzone as well.

Oh, and Killer 7 one day.  One day...

TheMissingLink on PSN
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 01:59:06 AM »

Need to finish GTA: San Andreas at some point.  I'm not holding my breath on being able to buy repair parts for my PC anytime soon, though, so it's gonna be awhile.

The plus is that by the time that happens, I should also be able to afford Half-Life 2 and finally play that.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 03:42:19 AM »

Need to finish up FFX.  Was so spellbound by it then started playing several other games (such as Radiata Stories, etc.).  I'm at the part right after the Calm Lands, so I'm not far off!

That and Riviera: The Promised Land.  During the summer when I was working, I would play it during my breaks.  Now that I'm at school (last semester, yippee), I don't have those convienant breaks.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 05:25:46 AM »

I have to beat Doom III. I played it and then let it sit for way too long. I think I will try and tackle a large portion of it tonight. Not the best game ever, but fun enough for me to enjoy if I give it the time. I just keep being lazy and doing crap instead.

This looks to be the most oft-quoted ... um... quote in this thread!  I loved Doom 3 - maybe just because I never played Doom at all before, it was fresh for me.  It kept making me jump out of my skin, but what the heck - that's why I bought it!  

The only problem is - I got as far as the boss-before-the-boss (or close) - I can't kill the boss that's guarding the weapon that kills the final boss.  Have tried a zillion times, just can't quite do it.  Then, as usual... I got onto another game and forgot I never finished it. Probably the Deadlocked beta which completely ruled my life for hours on end.

Does anyone know whether there is sufficient gameplay between that section and the ending to make it worth my while to try again?  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 05:30:02 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I have to beat Doom III. I played it and then let it sit for way too long. I think I will try and tackle a large portion of it tonight. Not the best game ever, but fun enough for me to enjoy if I give it the time. I just keep being lazy and doing crap instead.

This looks to be the most oft-quoted ... um... quote in this thread!  I loved Doom 3 - maybe just because I never played Doom at all before, it was fresh for me.  It kept making me jump out of my skin, but what the heck - that's why I bought it!  

The only problem is - I got as far as the boss-before-the-boss (or close) - I can't kill the boss that's guarding the weapon that kills the final boss.  Have tried a zillion times, just can't quite do it.  Then, as usual... I got onto another game and forgot I never finished it. Probably the Deadlocked beta which completely ruled my life for hours on end.

Does anyone know whether there is sufficient gameplay between that section and the ending to make it worth my while to try again?  :?

Avatar so cute. Brain exploding.  wasted
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 06:03:15 AM »

Avatar so cute. Brain exploding.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 01:34:07 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Need to finish GTA: San Andreas at some point.  I'm not holding my breath on being able to buy repair parts for my PC anytime soon, though, so it's gonna be awhile.

What the hell happened to your rig, man?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 04:01:57 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I played a couple hours the other day. Wow, I hated it. Just hated it.

Its been a bit freakier than other games I have played and for that I enjoy playing it late at night.  It isn't the most inventive and gets a bit repetive but that brief shock when a demon jumps out from behind somewhere is cool.  And I have little money for other games right now.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »

I have to say both Fallouts. For some reason if I start playing the first Fallout I have to finish it then Im compelled to play and finish the second one too. Ive got to where I try to avoid thinking about Fallout at all now because I know Ill have to finish two games.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 09:52:26 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

What the hell happened to your rig, man?

Not sure how, but the BIOS got hosed (wasn't a virus).  In trying to fix that, the CPU got fried.  At least, that's the best I can surmise from the smocking wreckage that used to be my kick-ass rig.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 10:42:06 PM »

I would love to say POP WW but there is one of the biggest bugs in gaming history in that game that does not allow you to play your last save.  I reached that point and now I cannot finish.  The only way I can finish is to sit and play the last 8 hours straight and there is no way in hell I can do that.    I love and hate that game for that.  I read on some other forums that you can start over with a new profile and that sometimes fixes it.  Start Over!!!!!   Ah, hell no!  I just gave up on it and cursed it to the grave.

So, what to finish?   Nothing out there interesting enough to make me want to.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 03:29:48 AM »

A week later and I just finished Tron 2.0!  Awesome game!  Monolith definitely knows their stuff.  I never liked the Tron movie when it came out years ago but I loved this game.

Now onward to Mario & Luigi!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 03:54:22 AM »

I have yet to finish Riddick on my PC, I did play all the way through the Xbox version way back when, but the PC version is so superior it's not even funny.

I'm still only on the second deck of cards in Mercenaries, which I've had since it came out. I never beat Mechassault 2 because I got to some ridiculous boss fight and kept dying on it.

I have like 3 races left on Midnight Club 3 before I've done 100% of everything there is to do in the game. And I'm 60 percent done with both career and arcade mode in Forza Motorsports.

Two weeks ago my Forza percentage was at 40 percent, but I've been playing a lot of that.

I want/need to finish all those games, but don't see myself making it. There's too many new ones coming out. I spent 3 hours with Day of Defeat: Source today, recently picked up Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for the Xbox, and I plan to grab Sniper Elite and/or X-Men Legends II sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Combine all that with the 360 launch being so close and I'm screwed.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Sunderer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 05:42:37 PM »

PONG

Just can't seem to beat that computer.

"At this moment, you mean everything."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 07:08:19 PM »

Update:
Right now it is these three:
Chaos campaign in Winter Assault
Fable (PC)
Burnout Revenge
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »

Now playing: Tiger Woods 2006 (XBox)/Burnout Legends (XBox)/Dawn of War: Winter Assault (PC)/Chronicles of Riddick (PC)/World of Warcraft (PC)

So you're playing Burnout: Legends on your Xbox, eh?  That's an emulator that I'd like to see - LOL.  I have to agree with you on Burnout: Revenge as far as a game I need to finish - so close I can taste it.  

<mmmmm.....plasticky>

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 07:35:56 PM »

Quote from: "Tustin1"
Now playing: Tiger Woods 2006 (XBox)/Burnout Legends (XBox)/Dawn of War: Winter Assault (PC)/Chronicles of Riddick (PC)/World of Warcraft (PC)

So you're playing Burnout: Legends on your Xbox, eh?  That's an emulator that I'd like to see - LOL.  I have to agree with you on Burnout: Revenge as far as a game I need to finish - so close I can taste it.  

<mmmmm.....plasticky>

Oh shoot, forgot that, ok time to correct the signature smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »

I don't have any MUST FINISH games, as that makes me think a game is so good it is beckoning me on to complete it...but I'm in the middle of several

Fable (XBOX)- Really enjoyed it so far, but I'm ready to be done with it.  It's far too easy.

Jade Empire (XBOX)- Because every dime I spend on a game is measured and I made the mistake of pre-ordering this and almost paying full price for it I have to finish it.  I'm very near the end but would rather sit down to tea with Crowley than play this game.

Mercenaries (XBOX)- Started this a while ago, but knew that it would be something I play in fits and spurts as it's so repetitive.  Not a knock, but that's the way it is.

Disciples 2 (PC)- First PC game I've played in almost 3 years.  My favorite PC game of all time gets another play through and I now own all of the expansions...so this one is gonna take a while. W00t!
Peoux
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 08:42:12 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Jade Empire (XBOX)- Because every dime I spend on a game is measured and I made the mistake of pre-ordering this and almost paying full price for it I have to finish it.  I'm very near the end but would rather sit down to tea with Crowley than play this game.

Whoa, that bad? I got some stern comments from my wife after basically having done exactly that - bought it the first day it was in the stores, then forgot to even try it because of certain other games that kept holding my attention. She was not going to forgive me the purchase either, until I convinced her it was "supposed to be great". She decided to test my claim, and sat down to try it out - then proceeded to get so hooked that she played it all the way through in a matter of days. So while I still haven't even tried it, she certainly enjoyed it :-)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »

Resident Evil 4.  Played a good chunk earlier this year (approx 10 hours) but I just wasn't into it- Not the game's fault just wasn't in the proper frame of mind for it (this is pretty common for me).  With Fall upon us and Halloween coming soon I'm definitely feel myself getting into the mood for it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 11:16:46 PM »

Well knock Winter Assault off my list smile Lets replace it with..Riddick for PC.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2005, 01:17:56 AM »

Well knock Winter Assault off my list smile Lets replace it with..Riddick for PC.

Cool, in two or three days you can update us again.  Riddick was pretty short (for me) but a fun ride while it lasted!  Then again, it might have been short because I was really enjoying it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2005, 01:20:28 AM »

You MUST finish Riddick!  It won't take you long and the game basically rocks the whole way through.

Especially the romp with the mecha-suit that they added to the PC version.

Ugh.  Don't make me reinstall this game!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2005, 01:31:02 AM »

Well I did finish it on XBox-and I very much enjoyed it other than the fact that I thought some of the optional quests were kind of meh and required too much backtracking. The aiming was a little off on XBox too-either way its one I definately will get to soon.

Don't reinstall it, get something new smile Like the Dawn of War expansion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: