http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:38:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you asking for for Christmas?  (Read 2596 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:14:27 PM »

So this thought hadn't even occurred to me -- but I was advised that I should start working on a Christmas list...

I always have problems with this -- I'm fortunate enough that if I want something that is in the range of what someone would give for a gift (a DVD, CD, book or game), I typically just go out and get it.

But anyhow, this made me think.  What are some things on everyone's Christmas (or holiday) list?  One can only receive so many shirts and sweaters!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »

I am never good at this.  Usually I end up just saying socks and underwear.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:19:14 PM »

GOOD topic, I have been working on Xmas lists to send off to relatives for nearly 3 weeks, and I am running out of ideas.  So I would love to hear peoples ideas.

This is what I got so far to send off for the relatives as gift ideas for my family.. I would love to hear any ideas.

My 7 year old son:
Black Belts Karate Home Studio DVD ($20-$25)
Furreal Friends Jungle Cat (Lion)
Jaag Wolf Pillow ($14)
Toy Wood Swords/Shields
Cranium Mega Fort  ($50) – ToysRUs exclusive item (NOT the super fort)
Walk the Dogs Game ($32)
Lego System Bulk Ultimate House Building Set ($24)

My wife (yeah, she is tough to buy for)
Genuine Bristle Back Brush ($5-$10)

My 12 year old son:

Flingsock ($7-$10)
BladeRunner 2 Helicopter ($50ish)
Tumblin-Dice ($50-60)
Lincoln Logs COMMEMORATIVE EDITION TIN ($29)
EA Strategy Collection ($25-$30)
Razor Scooter ($29-39, Red or Green only please)
Lord of the Rings: Confrontation Deluxe Edition ($25)
Battle Lore ($40-50)

Kobra (Me):
Bausack Sac Noir ($50-60)
9/11 Synthetic Terror: Made in USA, Third Edition (Paperback) ($12.21)
Kingdom of Heaven 4 Disc Directors Cut ($25 from Amazon)
Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles ($60-70 range, also available at Amazon and other places)
Braun KSM2-BLK Aromatic Coffee Grinder, Black ($20)
Simotech Disc Repair System ($99)

I am considering removing KOH and Civ Chronicles from my list, I am "Ho Hum" about them.. Usually my Xmas list for relatives is filled with frivelous nonsense I would never buy myself, which makes Xmas fun for me, as I get stuff I would never spend my own money on.  icon_cool  But this year is a challenge, I simply don't need anything!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:29:53 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »

I would like a new car.  Who's buyin'?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 05:22:03 PM »

My already purchased Wii and games are for Christmas, so they go under the tree, not to be played until Dec 24th (we open presents on Christmas Eve).

In addition I'm actually asking for long sleeve shirts and sweaters (need them for work!). 

I also grabbed a catalog/circular from Gamestop and circled all of the games in there that I want.  My wife will then broker out games to friends and family members depending on how much they are looking to spend.  I did the same with a Barnes and Noble catalog as well. 

Also asking for Battlestar Galactica Season 2.5 and maybe Smallville Season 5.

As a present to both of us, my wife and I expect to receive Season 5 of Alias from my in-laws.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 05:33:54 PM »

There's only one thing on my list this year.  A second Sony 400-disc DVD changer.

I currently have one 400-disc changer and an Escient Fireball to organize my collection, but my existing changer has already reached capacity, so I'll be adding a second to continue housing my ever-growing DVD collection.  The silver unit on the top left shelf is the existing 400-disc changer, with the Escient Fireball alongside, and you can see an open space to the right of the Escient just waiting for the second 400-disc changer (I knew a second would be an inevitability, so I planned ahead when positioning my components).  Then I should be set for a while before having to add a third.  The Fireball can handle up to three 400-disc changers, but it's going to be a while before I fill that second changer. 

I may get some other odds and ends for Christmas, but this is the only item on my list that is a must-have. 

While in Pittsburgh for the Thanksgiving holiday my wife and I are going to handle our Christmas shopping for friends and relatives so that this year we don't have to ship anything or carry anything with us onto the plane.  We made the list yesterday, so our mission is set, and our shopping trip should be clean, precise, and efficient, leaving me plenty of time to fire down excessive amounts of Yuengling with my father-in-law for the rest of the Thanksgiving break.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »

Pete, thanks for reminding me!  I got this grand scheme to buy a 1-2TB Array, and transfer movies that get Tivo'd from one of the 2 Tivo units onto it, and build a gigantic library of ready to play movies.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11164673&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

I figure I could fit 500-900 movies on that puppy for an instant library at the cost of only .50 cents a movie (for the HD space)  But good luck finding a relative to spend $449 on me, and even slimmer luck finding one with a Costco account..   Not to mention I would be all ready for the Peer-to-Peer stuff being released next year on Tivo.   thumbsup

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 05:48:07 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2006, 05:33:54 PM

There's only one thing on my list this year.  A second Sony 400-disc DVD changer.

I currently have one 400-disc changer and an Escient Fireball to organize my collection, but my existing changer has already reached capacity, so I'll be adding a second to continue housing my ever-growing DVD collection.  The silver unit on the top left shelf is the existing 400-disc changer, with the Escient Fireball alongside, and you can see an open space to the right of the Escient just waiting for the second 400-disc changer (I knew a second would be an inevitability, so I planned ahead when positioning my components).  Then I should be set for a while before having to add a third.  The Fireball can handle up to three 400-disc changers, but it's going to be a while before I fill that second changer. 

I may get some other odds and ends for Christmas, but this is the only item on my list that is a must-have. 

While in Pittsburgh for the Thanksgiving holiday my wife and I are going to handle our Christmas shopping for friends and relatives so that this year we don't have to ship anything or carry anything with us onto the plane.  We made the list yesterday, so our mission is set, and our shopping trip should be clean, precise, and efficient, leaving me plenty of time to fire down excessive amounts of Yuengling with my father-in-law for the rest of the Thanksgiving break.   

Very nice setup Pete, except for that Eagles faceplate.  What part of Pittsburgh will you be in, that is my neck of the woods...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:55:01 PM by Arkon » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 05:48:07 PM

Very nice setup Pete.

Thanks!  It has taken a lot of time to amass and develop, but we are very pleased with the end result.  We absolutely love the Fireball and associated DVD changers as we now no longer have shelving needs for so many DVDs, our living room looks very clean and organized without hundreds of DVDs on walls of shelves, and browsing movies is a breeze because everything is organized electronically.   

What part of Pittsburgh will you be in, that is my neck of the woods...

My wife's family lives in Aliquippa.  We'll be staying with my wife's parents for the week, getting our Primanti's fix, stopping by Quaker Steak while out shopping, and drinking as much Yuengling as I can get my hands on as you can't get the stuff in Arizona. 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 06:00:57 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2006, 05:56:51 PM

Very nice setup Pete.

Thanks!  It has taken a lot of time to amass and develop, but we are very pleased with the end result.  We absolutely love the Fireball and associated DVD changers as we now no longer have shelving needs for so many DVDs, our living room looks very clean and organized without hundreds of DVDs on walls of shelves, and browsing movies is a breeze because everything is organized electronically.   

My wife's family lives in Aliquippa.  We'll be staying with my wife's parents for the week, getting our Primanti's fix, stopping by Quaker Steak while out shopping, and drinking as much Yuengling as I can get my hands on as you can't get the stuff in Arizona. 

I live in Imperial, about 10 minutes from Aliquippa.  So you will be hitting up the Robinson area for Quaker Steak and Primantis... ah the life heh.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 06:04:05 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 06:00:57 PM

Very nice setup Pete.

I live in Imperial, about 10 minutes from Aliquippa.  So you will be hitting up the Robinson area for Quaker Steak and Primantis... ah the life heh.

Yep, plenty of shopping in Robinson, especially for Quaker Steak, and I'm not sure where we usually go for Primantis.  They seem to be popping up everywhere in the suburbs, but I know there's one nearby and I think that's where we're headed immediately after we land this evening. 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2006, 06:04:05 PM

Very nice setup Pete.

Yep, plenty of shopping in Robinson, especially for Quaker Steak, and I'm not sure where we usually go for Primantis.  They seem to be popping up everywhere in the suburbs, but I know there's one nearby and I think that's where we're headed immediately after we land this evening. 

There is a Primantis not far from the Quaker Steak, within about 5 or 6 miles.  If you head through Robinson towards Crafton, it is just past the on ramps for 79 if that makes any sense heh.  (Pittsburgh roads are horrible to navigate)
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 06:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 06:14:19 PM

Very nice setup Pete.

There is a Primantis not far from the Quaker Steak, within about 5 or 6 miles.  If you head through Robinson towards Crafton, it is just past the on ramps for 79 if that makes any sense heh.  (Pittsburgh roads are horrible to navigate)

Crafton sounds familiar.  That's most likely where we usually go (unless we're dan-tan, then we go to the original).  I'm from the Philly area, so I don't know Pittsburgh that well, but my wife grew up there are can easily find our way to the nearest Primanti's.  Man, I'm really looking forward to that sammich, accompanied by an ice cold Lager.  Althought the cold weather I could do without (it's sunny and 75 degrees here in Phoenix). 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 06:22:42 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2006, 06:17:08 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 06:14:19 PM

Very nice setup Pete.

Crafton sounds familiar.  That's most likely where we usually go (unless we're dan-tan, then we go to the original).  I'm from the Philly area, so I don't know Pittsburgh that well, but my wife grew up there are can easily find our way to the nearest Primanti's.  Man, I'm really looking forward to that sammich, accompanied by an ice cold Lager.  Althought the cold weather I could do without (it's sunny and 75 degrees here in Phoenix). 

Bah it is easily 40 degrees today, not cold at all!

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 06:31:12 PM »

For Christmas I won't be getting much in the way of material objects.  My parents are taking my sister and I (I am 21 she is 23) on a ski trip out to Colorado.  We will be going to West Denver and planning where we want to ski at from there.  Pretty darn good gift if you ask me.  5 days on the slopes.......ah.....but wait.....NO XBOX!!!! eek

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 06:40:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 06:22:42 PM

Ugh.  Next you're going to tell me that it's not even that overcast, as it's only been two weeks since you last saw sunlight.  I'm still wearing shorts and taking my dog to the park to go swimming, leaving the windows open at night and enjoying lunch at outdoor cafes. 

I might freeze to death. 

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 06:43:01 PM »

I want this:

Indoor Micro Mosquito RC Helicopter

warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »

I want this: link

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 06:52:08 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2006, 05:33:54 PM

leaving me plenty of time to fire down excessive amounts of Yuengling with my father-in-law for the rest of the Thanksgiving break.   

crybaby

My list at the moment is basically games, but I will expand with some stuff from thinkgeek.com if I get around to it.

360 games:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Just Cause
Need for Speed Carbon

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on DS

The Tick Vs Season One on DVD
Queensryche: Operation Livecrime (has been listed for 3 years now, relative never get to it)

That's all I have at the moment... thinkgeek has a USB Rocket Launcher that I'm liking. Also, the Albert Einstein action figure is high on my list.

I will invariably get a couple polo shirts. I expect the rest to go to my son who'll be enjoying his first christmas at 7 months.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »

I already got my Christmas present.   I finally got surround sound installed and a new Denon AV receiver.   

The only things on the list are a couple of 360 games (COD3, R6:Vegas) and some shirts.   

- shaggy

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 07:25:08 PM »

I'm taking my wife and my mom on a vacation to SoCal.  We are going to spend a week doing Disneyland (twice), San Diego Wild Animal Kingdom, Universal Studios, and Sea World.  It should be a good break from reality for a lil while and it'll be our Christmas to eachother.  That said....I need to get crackin on getting a gift for the wifey.  I can never follow the rules...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 07:44:57 PM »

Booked and paid for
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:51:59 PM by LoneStarSpur » Logged

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:42 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 20, 2006, 06:40:02 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 06:22:42 PM

Ugh.  Next you're going to tell me that it's not even that overcast, as it's only been two weeks since you last saw sunlight.  I'm still wearing shorts and taking my dog to the park to go swimming, leaving the windows open at night and enjoying lunch at outdoor cafes. 

I might freeze to death. 

I am still wearing shorts as well.  It has only rained 5 of the last 6 days I think...

icon_lol
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »

An external HD and a few new work shirts, and I'll be happy.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 12:25:52 AM »

Wii

This helicopter:  http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/833d/

I thought I was the only one that wanted an RC helicopter...hee

And finally the Lego Star Destroyer:

Pieces: 1367
Includes Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, Imperial Officer, two Stormtroopers, two Emperor's Royal Guards, Imperial Astromech Droid, and Mouse Droid minifigures.
Top lifts off and sides swing open to reveal all of the inner workings of the ship!
Imperial Star Destroyer measures over 23" (58cm) long!

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 12:39:28 AM »

My only "toy" on my Christmas list is a Wacom 4x5 tablet. Have a couple books, cd's (No Thanks! The '70s Punk Rebellion [Box Set] my most wanted) and a couple dvd's on the list.

We aren't traveling to the parents this year so small items are on the list.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 12:42:34 AM »

I looked at this.  100 bucks!  Yipes!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 01:32:42 AM »

I never ask for anything unless it's a gift certificate or cash.  It seems like whenever I would specifically ask for something, it wouldn't be the right item and I'd either end up not using it or returning it.  It's much easier on both ends with gift certificates. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »

Sheesh so many people getting helicopters - my son included.  Have you guys looked at this one?

http://www.buy.com/prod/radio-control-bladerunner-2-indoor-helicopter/q/loc/20269/202925958.html?dcaid=17379

Supposed to be the best indoor helicopter made. I found some videos of it around the net, it looks superb.  The little spotlight on the front looks funny.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4431724646148351040&q=bladerunner+2+helicopter&hl=en

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 02:16:21 AM »

Funnily enough I was just thinking of starting this very topic last night because I've been trying to make a list for my family and such but have trouble as always.  It doesn't help that even though I always list games I want in all price ranges I have gotten only one game in the last 10 years (Giants), so this year I'm not even bothering to add those to the list.  So far I can only come up with a few books and DVDs:

Dr Katz, Professional Therapist Season 2 DVD
Little Miss Sunshine DVD
Mr Show - The Complete 4th Season DVD
Invader Zim - Doom Doom Doom (Vol 1)

(books...)
Broken Angels - Richard K. Morgan
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami
A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami
A Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin
any book by Raymond Chandler

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 02:22:35 AM »

Same trouble here Engine, which is why my lists tend to turn out eclectic, I try to make stuff varied and unique, a departure from what people normally buy.   Some relatives normally buy some shit like "Golf Monopoly", and frankly, I don't want that stuff in my house and it will just be donated to the salvation army.  Like really one night I am going to go "Hey guys, lets turn off this great PC game, and go play Golf Monopoly!  Woot!".   disgust

Sadly, a *LOT* of my relatives haven't discovered the internet yet, so when you send them URL's, they don't understand, and ask "What can I buy at Walmart?".  So I have to make a seperate "Walmart friendly" list for those folks. All in all, I start this process in October, and I don't finish until this week, but this year is proving more challenging than previous.   thumbsdown

I don't care to own DVD's, I have too many books to read already, so tossing a bunch of books and movies on a list doesn't work well for me.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 06:03:25 AM »

So far I listed a bunch of geek stuff (Okami, Entourage S2 DVDs, Juliana Hatfield CD, Some Girls CD, digital watch) and some cold weather gear (knit cap and gloves). Not sure what else. Keep the suggestions coming!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 06:39:48 AM »

I already got my Christmans present to myself- my new HDTV.  I doubt I'll see any other presents this year, but I'm planning on giving the puppies one hell of a X-Mas.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 21, 2006, 01:39:29 AM

Sheesh so many people getting helicopters - my son included.  Have you guys looked at this one?

http://www.buy.com/prod/radio-control-bladerunner-2-indoor-helicopter/q/loc/20269/202925958.html?dcaid=17379

Supposed to be the best indoor helicopter made. I found some videos of it around the net, it looks superb.  The little spotlight on the front looks funny.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4431724646148351040&q=bladerunner+2+helicopter&hl=en

This may be better than the Radio Shack one. It's called an 'indoor flying RC' that alone is enough to buy it!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 04:54:17 PM »

Man i was expecting cool lists from people to steal ideas for my list that has to be completed tonight.  Nothing much has been posted.  icon_neutral

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 05:43:53 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 21, 2006, 04:54:17 PM

Man i was expecting cool lists from people to steal ideas for my list that has to be completed tonight.  Nothing much has been posted.  icon_neutral

What, socks and underwear wasn't cool enough for you?

ninja2
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 05:57:12 PM »

Gamers are hard to buy for.  Other than games (and socks) we usually don't have a huge list of stuff we want. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »

My two front teeth.

and all the other ones that are missing.

Ye Olde Farte
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 07:47:03 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 21, 2006, 05:57:12 PM

Gamers are hard to buy for.  Other than games (and socks) we usually don't have a huge list of stuff we want. smile

I have to agree with this.  There is nothing I want.  I told my sister to get me band of brothers on DVD and my GF I told her just to get me a few Kangols

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 11:07:41 PM »

My problem is that everything I would REALLY like are so freaking expensive (ie-HDTV to use with 360, new pc monitor, etc etc).

So, I usually say a gift card to the game store or give them one or two games to pick up if they want. They all just hate only buying me that because they think I am not getting much.  Hard to convince a non-gamer that a game to a gamer is just about all that really matters.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: