http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the oldest shirt that you still wear?  (Read 1321 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:23 PM »

2nd place would be a rev 2 Gonegold new releases site shirt- the one with the CD logo on the left breast and larger in the back (I have a rev 1 with the original coat of arms design, but it's never been worn). Dark blue and made of heavy duty stuff.

1st would be a Steven Curtis Chapman 'Heaven in the Real world' concert shirt I got in early 1994.  Has no holes to speak of, you can read all of the concert dates and it's amazingly soft and comfortable.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »

I got a shirt from the 1999 Tibetan Freedom Concert (RFK stadium, Wash DC) that I still wear from time to time. It's beginning to fall apart, but I wear to work on stuff around the apt.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »

The Beatles Let it Be T-Shirt that i wear for bed Tongue...i bought it back in 1994,and its now holey as hell(as in holes...not religious)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »

My Newegg shirt that I got for free back in 2001 for buying a DVD+r drive and a 512MB stick of RAM.  I use it to go to the gym nowadays since it's old and beat up.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »

I have a Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses concert shirt that I got in the summer of 88 that I still wear every once in a while.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »

I don't think I have any shirts dating before 2004 or 2005 since I went through my closet at the beginning of spring and tossed pretty much everything, and those would be some Hawaiian shirts.  since my winter clothes were already stored away I may have a sweater that still fits me that I got back before I graduated HS in 92.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:34:29 PM »

"My parents were at The Last Supper and all they got me was this lousy t-shirt"

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:44:09 PM »

I have an old MXPX shirt I got back in 2000 that I still wear on occasion.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »

The Beatles Let it Be T-Shirt that i wear for bed Tongue...i bought it back in 1994,and its now holey as hell(as in holes...not religious)

I have a Sgt. Pepper shirt from the same year, and yes, it is full of holes and I only wear it to bed. Shirt brothers!!!

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »

I have a couple t shirts that I got around 94 that I still keep around, even though they are holy as hell... a Jesus Lizard one, an Atomic 61 one, and a BB Rash one... all great bands.  I had to finally just take the sleeves off, but I still throw them on to paint or do yard work, etc.  I recently did a brutal closet clean/goodwill session on my clothes, but I couldn't bring myself to do away with those 3.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 08, 2010, 02:51:37 PM

I have a Sgt. Pepper shirt from the same year, and yes, it is full of holes and I only wear it to bed. Shirt brothers!!!

LOL, icon_lol thumbsup

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »

I have a doctors scrub shirt from when my youngest was born......17+ years ago. I wear it in the evening after I take my shower before going to bed......
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:16:43 PM »

I have a NFL shirt that says "Property of Houston Football" from early 2000.  It doesn't mention the name "Texans" because the name had not yet been determined.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:26 PM »

I have 2 Penn and Teller shirts when they came to Reno back in 90something. I still wear them. Along with a Crown RoadDog shirt. Although I just got some new ones of those from my Dad so I will add them.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »

I've finally started weaning out most of my old band t-shirts from highschool (1994-1997) that hadn't already completely fallen apart.  I still have a Metallica shirt that has paint splatter on it because I wore it to help paint a house and refinish a basement that should probably get tossed but it doesn't have any holes in it so it's a laundry day shirt still.  I still have a Gamits shirt from back then that's in pretty decent shape.  I have a lot of shirts from 1999-2004 that are still in great shape because I'm not (read: I gained a lot of weight several years ago and they don't currently fit me).
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »

I just threw away my BlackMage shirt from 2002. I have a Wind River hoodie that is as old as dirt that I still wear around campfires and such. 1991, IIRC.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »

I have a Quake 2 tshirt that my sister gave to me about 2 years after the game was out. Simple Q2 logo with the id logo on the back near the neck.

Was wearing it one day at the mall and some young kid walks by and says 'sick shirt' - made me feel pretty cool for an old guy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »

T-shirt I got when I was in Boy Scouts with our camp logo on it.  Got it in 86 or 87.  It has a couple of small holes so it's something I'll only wear around the house.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »

After I got out of the Navy in '84 my friend bought me a cool shirt to upgrade my exclusively t-shirt wardrobe.  She has good taste and I still wear it to this day. 
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »

I have nothing more than 3 years old.  When I grad schooled it I took pride in dressing like a slob.   When I got a job I had to upgrade to business casual.   I start telecommuting full time in a week and I am looking forward to pitching the Polos and stocking up on T-shirts. 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »

Fun thread.

I haven't bought any new clothes since 2005, so all of my shirts are at least that old. The oldest is a blue collar work shirt with my name over the pocket that came with a janitorial job in 1976. It's too tight now to button up -- I was a skinny teenager then -- but I can wear it as a smock when I'm painting or something. It is indestructible.

As far as shirts that I still wear in regular rotation, I have a Lords of the Realm II T shirt from 1996. I have a Star Trek TOS shirt that coincided with the Star Trek: Federation Science exhibit from 1992. I was friends with the apparel buyer in the museum gift shop, and I still have a few of the many sample T shirts that she gave me. Those could go back as far as 1986.

I guess 1992 is as far back as I can go with certainty, but I'm quite sure that I have other clothes from the 1980s. Most of my dress shirts were bought during the Reagan administration. I only wear a dress shirt maybe once a year so they are all still in good condition.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 01:11:46 AM »

I'd say my RATT t-shirt I got at a 1987 concert. It has cig burn holes in it  and the neck and arms are ripped off. It's also kinda rotten now. Can't wash it. but  I have worn it around the house within the last 2 years.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 08, 2010, 05:29:52 PM

I just threw away my BlackMage shirt from 2002. I have a Wind River hoodie that is as old as dirt that I still wear around campfires and such. 1991, IIRC.

if we're including outerwear I have a leather trench from the early 90's that's just starting to fall apart.  time to butcher some more cows!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 04:28:18 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 09, 2010, 12:50:28 AM

Fun thread.

Agreed.

I used to hold onto T-shirts, even shirts I would never wear, until my wife decided to start periodically purging old T-shirts she and I would just pack away into the backs of drawers that were either torn, stained with paint, too small, or just outdated.  Right now the oldest shirt I have is one I received as a gift from the owner of my favorite tattoo studio back in Philly with "Another Tattooed Victim from Everlasting Art" printed across the back.  That shirt is from 1999.  I occasionally wear it to the gym, around the house while doing messy chores/painting/cleaning, or to the pool or boating when I don't want to get sunscreen all over shirts I like to wear with more regularity.  All other old shirts have been tossed away, especially sweatshirts as they're rarely needed in Arizona.  Actually, they haven't been tossed away, but donated to Goodwill. 

I love the feel of a worn, soft T-shirt, but most have been purchased that way for convenience and so that the white ones are actually white and all others are presentable and in good condition.  Being a full-time student once again, T-shirts and plaid shorts are my primary items of clothing, but I see no reason why feeling comfortable has to be synonomous with "slovenly" or "sloppy."  And once shirts start to reach that level of wear when they cease to be "vintage" and start to look bad, then it's time to move on.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »

Plaid shorts ... wow.  Just tell me they're not the "patchwork" ones and I won't have to re-assess my opinion of your style.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 09, 2010, 05:03:41 PM

Plaid shorts ... wow.  Just tell me they're not the "patchwork" ones and I won't have to re-assess my opinion of your style.

Course not.

But to simply rule out plaid in general ignores current fashion trends.  Still, the "patchwork" nonsense is awful.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »

Plaid is decent in general, certainly a bolder choice than I normally go with for shorts.  But I'm glad we agree on the nonsense that is the patchwork option. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »

To my GF's great regret, I still wear my old "Skinners" T-shirt Brad Wardell shipped me for my help in playtesting Galciv 1 way back... Non-it guys always thinks it some sort of nudist club I'm a member off :-D

A new one
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »

I just purged most of my old stuff, but I have a classic 2 button Ralph Lauren suit jacket that I've had for a few years and should remain relatively timeless, and a couple of shirts that I bought right when menswear started getting a little more fitted - say 4-5 years ago.

I also have the requisite ratty old t shirts that see gym duty.

My wife, OTOH, has a closet full of vintage dresses from the 50s and 60s that get work constantly.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 09, 2010, 05:19:49 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 09, 2010, 05:03:41 PM

Course not.

But to simply rule out plaid in general ignores current fashion trends.  Still, the "patchwork" nonsense is awful.

Nah.  It's looks fine with a plain v-neck t.  But seersucker is where it's at this year slywink

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »

oldest i still wear regularly is a Social Distortion tour shirt from '89 - the black has faded to a weird purply-tinge, but it's still good.

ones i wear occasionally: Alice Cooper "Welcome To My Nightmare" '87, The Damned "Phantasmagoria" album release from '85 and The Police "Synchronicity Tour" '83 (i think - is also a 'small' size, so the times i wear it are few). there are some Cure and Depeche Mode ones from the late '80s, but they're either really worn or too tiny.

oh wait! i just remembered the Pac-Man shirt i won at a 4th of July carnival game. that's from '81, i think. it's extremely fragile and i don't dare wash it, so i don't wear it anymore.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 12:08:48 AM »

An old Philadelphia Flyers t-shirt with the sleeves torn off. It was my brother's when he was still in High School.

He's 36 now.

I usually wear it when I workout or do any yard work. It's still in good shape really, it's just really thin.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 12:12:50 AM »

I have more shirts kicking around from high school days than I should admit, hah.  But the ultimate prize has to go to the pair of NB high tops I got for basketball in 8th grade, hiked to the top of Long's Peak and mowed countless yards in... that I still have and occasionally wear.  And I am 40.   icon_redface

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 02:39:08 AM »

Have a mudhoney t from 93 piece of cake tour. Don't wear it much now (did until year agoish) as it now has a few holes around the screen print. Also have a Dans Comp t (bicycle mail order co) from 94 that is in good shape except its off white as I wore it in the local lakes a bit too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: