http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's The Coolest Thing You've Ever Won?  (Read 956 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »

Like a contest or door prize, etc.  Games of skill too I guess.

My life is replete with non-wins or close calls.

When I was a kid I had the winning ticket to a door prize at a comic book convention but didn't realize it until they called the next number. I was crushed.

I won some stickers at my school, but my stupid cousin destroyed them.

I won some bum lottery tickets on a radio show for predicting a Bills win over the Raiders in the playoffs when I was in college.

But my first real legit oh my gosh win was  last week: we won a VIP package to a local performing arts center: 2 tickets, VIP suite access with wine and fancy stuff and VIP parking passes for answering a survey from the time we saw Seinfeld Live.

I was quite excited.

How'z about j00!?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »

I once won a "Find the Hidden Midget" contest for the now defunct PC gaming mag PC Accelerator. I ended up getting all kinds of game related swag from it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

I won a comedy contest one time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »

Last year at a golf tournament I won a $100 gift certificate for Flemings.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »

The first thing I ever won was a spelling bee in elementary school. The prize was a copy of the Disney picture-book version of The Sword In the Stone. It was my first encounter with Arthurian legend and I loved that book so much that I still remember it 50 years later. (And, teachers take note, it made me so proud of my mad spelling skilz that I became an excellent speller for the rest of my life. Unfortunately all the kids who didn't win dropped out and became junkies.)

The nicest thing I ever won was an iPod Touch at a whiskey tasting a little over a year ago. It was a random drawing; you had to have pre-entered online and you had to be present to win. Since there were only a dozen people there I liked my odds.

Back in the Good Old Days, before the economy went to hell, companies used to throw lavish holiday parties with generous prizes. My wife won a cruise (which was the second-place prize, if you can believe that). Neither of us are the cruise type so we were less than enthused until she found out she could use the cash equivalent for any travel. We ended up taking 2 weeks in Italy -- one of our best vacations ever.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »

My mom had her hip replaced so we got her a powerchair (the kind that helps you sit up).  The manager said we should put in for their midnight giveaway.  We did, knowing we'd never win. Well...we won.  We got a $5000 dollar Tempurpedic cooling bed (kinda awesome here in AZ) that we also gave to my mom.   Free bed FTW.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »

Beer fridge is the coolest thing I've won.

Best thing I've won? Dunno. I win lots of little things at socials, silent auctions, etc. Once won a 27" LCD tv (about 7 years ago so it was "cool", even though it was a lame mfgr - Emerson IIRC) but I didn't need it, so I took it into a store that I knew sold Emersons to see if I could get store credit. The guy said no, he'd give me cash instead of a cash card (as it was unopened) - and handed me $450, returning the set to stock. I later found out it was purchased at another store for significantly less (~250 IIRC).

I guess it means I won the same thing twice. Tongue 

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »

Christ all the things you guys have won are a million times better than the things i have won,even Ironrods Sword in the Stone book sounds better(i love that film)

-Mass Effect Hoodie,while its decent enough the velcro at the zip folds over part of the hoodie and attaches itself to the N7 logo therefore hooking on and 'unthreading' the logo..i have since cut off that velcro patch,bad design if you ask me

-Hunted:The Demon's Forge Video Game for the PS3,I really didn't like the game,and unfortunately it was a promotional copy,so i could not trade it in  Tongue

I did win Stand By Me on Blu-Ray,however it was 3 months later when i realised i had won when i found the Facebook message they were asking for my details...so,okay,i didn't win that,they gave it to someone else

I think that is all i have won in my life,i can't think of anything else

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »

The right to purchase Superbowl tickets at face value.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »

Went to Vegas when I turned 21, and walked away from a Blackjack table up the $300-400 I wanted to win in order to buy the new video game console that had just been released.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 19, 2013, 04:20:35 PM

I won a comedy contest one time.

icon_lol thumbsup
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

Oh, I won a Famous Players gold card - free movies for a year. It was 1998-1999, IIRC. Won it from much music (Canada's MTV back then) for answering the question: Name a movie which has "gold" in the title, but isn't a bond film.

Ule's Gold was taken (so it was just after that movie was released), so I got it with Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold. Mmmm, Sharon Stone being oiled up was pretty memorable for a 14yr old version of me.  drool

Unfortunately, I saw Deep Blue Sea with that (free tickets). I was going to demand my money back DESPITE the fact that it was free. biggrin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:36:54 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 12:24:08 AM »

I won my first Xbox 360 from a Mountain Dew promotion. (winner every 10 minutes).  It came with a box full of T-shirts, hats, and swag.  Unfortunately getting my 360 a month before they were officially released somehow managed to screw up my xbox live membership (started active account before they HAD to be tied to a @Live ID) and after my initial year was up I had to completely restart over with a new Xbox live ID...  but it was a very cool prize.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »

I just won this cool lifestraw from entering into a 'caption this' contest on facebook. Now I don't have to worry about getting sick from a water source after the zombie apocalypse smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:22 AM »

Quote from: raydude on February 20, 2013, 01:59:27 AM

I just won this cool lifestraw from entering into a 'caption this' contest on facebook. Now I don't have to worry about getting sick from a water source after the zombie apocalypse smile

I said earlier that I'm a pretty good speller, but the word "diarrhea" has always tripped me up. And now you just hit me with "diarrhoea."

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 04:14:26 AM »

Back in the day when Activision was releasing "Heavy Gear 2" they had a contest where they were giving away an autographed "gold master" disk of the game and a bunch of other swag that I don't recall.  I won.  icon_cool

God knows where that disk is now...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »

I won this poster by being one of the first people to enter in on a contest for when Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven came out. Basically like 15 minutes in a code shows up and you mail it off:

(not my picture of it)

Now, take a good close look at it. Tell me exactly where everyone is in relation to each other. Depth included. Who is looking at what, where, why, and how?

Slightly better quality pic in here based off of the title screen (but smaller)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Still a cool poster. Still have mine up to this day. I just never think of the logistics of it as it gives me a headache. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

I won a big glass pig filled with smarties for coming closest guessing how many were inside.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:29 AM »

I won a Razor gaming mouse from GamingTrend!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »

My original Xbox 360 from every 60  seconds. It was a Mountain Dew Contest

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »

A weekend stay here http://www.pavilionsandpools.com/.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »

I won a copy of the first Dungeon Siege a week or two before it came out.  It was a special "Gold Release" press of the disk signed by Chris Taylor.  Even cooler the entire dev team was playing multiplayer a bunch that dead week.  Got to play a game with CT for a while.

It was a kinda funny contest.  They were randomly turning on a signup form on a bunch of fan sites.  Each site let the first 5 or 10 people win and the rest went into a random winner pool.  The inventive CS student I was, I wrote a quick script to poll the sites for updates and sound an alarm.  Got like 2nd or 3rd on the 2nd site to go live.

Second best was pizza for a year.

So a local cheap pizza chain (Pizza Guys) dropped and empty box on my steps with a note that said "bring this in on Saturday for a free pizza!"  They were having a summer party and did this to a bunch of people that ordered often.  Well I bring it in to get my pizza the next day and they let me know I get a spin at the wheel.  I spin it and win pizza for a year (1 per month, any size, any toppings).  We got pretty creative with massive toppings combos over the next year.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »

A golden N64 controller (not actual gold, mind) from coming in second place for the fastest completion of a course in Mario Kart 64.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »

Wow you guys won some awesome prizes, kudos to you all. I've never won anything, but I'm not dead so that is a great prize in the grand scheme of things.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »

And the award for the 24th post goes to...

...damn, can never get these envelopes open...

...I forgot my glasses.  Is it Antecedent?  Can someone make this out?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 04:44:13 AM »

Few different things that I've won.

In junior high - I once won a raffle and got a $100 bill which they gave to me at lunch. Unfortunately someone else stole it from me before the end of the day and the school had called my father to tell him that I had won the money. So when he came to pick me up after school and we discovered it had been stolen - I got a beating and was grounded for two weeks.

In the mid-90's i entered a contest on AOL (I know... the shame...) for the movie Hackers (with a young angelina jolie). Apparently not enough people entered, so with my one entry they sent me 3 copies of the movie on VHS and two posters.

Back in the late 90's I won a brand new palm pilot 5 from the tucows website, along with a bunch of fun little desk toys.

During the first year that American idol was on the air, I entered a ford contest during the show and won a high end VCR.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 05:07:49 AM »

When I was a kid I lived overseas in West Berlin, and was forced to wait an extra year to see Empire Strikes Back (in English). The nearby youth center ran an essay contest to win 2 tickets to see it the day it came out and I entered and won. Saw the very first matinee they played at the theater, turned around and used my second ticket and saw it again biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »

A long time ago, I won an IGN contest.  I had forgotten that I had entered, but they sent me a copy of Majesty.  Considering that I hadn't heard of the game at the time and now rate it as one of my all time favorites, I'd put that prize much higher than the monetary value.

I once won a closest to the pin contest in a golf tournament.  True, it was for the highest handicap category, but I did win a golf bag.  Given my overall lack of athletic accomplishments, I'm pretty proud of that.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:49 AM »

Me winning a guitar that is one of only twenty in the world. My "gift from God".  eek
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »

Yay! I win the thread!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »

But sadly the best you can ever hope for is a win by default. slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 24, 2013, 05:07:49 AM

When I was a kid I lived overseas in West Berlin, and was forced to wait an extra year to see Empire Strikes Back (in English). The nearby youth center ran an essay contest to win 2 tickets to see it the day it came out and I entered and won. Saw the very first matinee they played at the theater, turned around and used my second ticket and saw it again biggrin

So when the big reveal hit in the second showing, were you watching the screen or other people's faces?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 28, 2013, 04:51:52 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 24, 2013, 05:07:49 AM

So when the big reveal hit in the second showing, were you watching the screen or other people's faces?

Actually, I was in denial until Jedi- I was convinced Vader was just fucking with Luke and it totally wasn't true.

So I was looking for proof I was right slywink

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 20, 2013, 06:44:49 AM

I won this poster by being one of the first people to enter in on a contest for when Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven came out. Basically like 15 minutes in a code shows up and you mail it off:

(not my picture of it)

Now, take a good close look at it. Tell me exactly where everyone is in relation to each other. Depth included. Who is looking at what, where, why, and how?

Slightly better quality pic in here based off of the title screen (but smaller)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Still a cool poster. Still have mine up to this day. I just never think of the logistics of it as it gives me a headache. biggrin

Can't tell you how many times my DnD party of Dragon, Death Knight, Mage and Dragon Knight had to fight a rampaging Archer and Barbarian.

Close call, my friend. That archer is a BITCH to kill.

PatrickRost
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

One Smug Pup

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

One time, at a college orientation walk-around, I won a DVD player in a Dance Contest.  Me and this girl got picked to go against each other for the DVD player, and they chose two people out of the crowd to be our "partner."  The girl got some nondescript male partner and I got this black girl.  And she was a dominator of the dance.  They hit the music and she just went into this sensual, like, tornado of dances and thrusts, and I just kind of jiggled around behind her in a rhythmic pulse.  She won that damn DVD player for me, but since I was the contestant I was the one that got it, and she didn't get anything.

I ended up selling it for $50 so that I could buy some cigarettes and food. 

Heard about Houston?  Heard about Detroit?  Heard about Pittsburgh P.A.?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 12:48:25 AM »

I like cigarettes and food.

PatrickRost
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

One Smug Pup

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 02, 2013, 12:48:25 AM

I like cigarettes and food.

Hell yeah.  Quality stuff.

Heard about Houston?  Heard about Detroit?  Heard about Pittsburgh P.A.?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 01:24:33 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 28, 2013, 09:49:54 PM

Can't tell you how many times my DnD party of Dragon, Death Knight, Mage and Dragon Knight had to fight a rampaging Archer and Barbarian.

Close call, my friend. That archer is a BITCH to kill.

*reads, looks at poster on wall* *reads again, looks again*

...wow, that just totally works. The question is solved!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: