http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 06:52:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Were you ever playing a video game when you heard really terrible news?  (Read 1167 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:03:06 PM »

The recent posts regarding family and friend's illnesses and deaths, got me to remembering something.  When I got the news that my father had died (not a surprise at least, he'd been just hanging on for a few months) - I was playing a video game.  Metallicorphan and I were duo'ing in Final Fantasy XI when my phone rang... I will never forget exactly what I was doing or where I was in the game.  Even months later, I'd get that tug on the heartstrings when I was crossing the bridge near where we were when I heard the news.

I'll also never forget someone who was very important to me during that period - someone I'd never met in real life.  Someone who was so supportive and sensitive (oh, yeah, he was, sorry if I'm ruining his reputation on GT!) If you've ever read the Metal and Myto show here, you know of whom I speak.

Thank you, Metal, from the bottom of my heart!   tear

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »

Oddly enough, yeah - December 92, I was playing Wolf3D in the middle of the night when my grandmother called to let us know my grandfather had died frown
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:31:30 AM »

Well, I was playing Black Hawk Down when I heard about the 9/11 stuff. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

I was playing Everquest when I heard about the 9/11 stuff. Ironically, I heard about it and got news updates through the in game chat.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:23 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 22, 2008, 07:03:06 PM

The recent posts regarding family and friend's illnesses and deaths, got me to remembering something.  When I got the news that my father had died (not a surprise at least, he'd been just hanging on for a few months) - I was playing a video game.  Metallicorphan and I were duo'ing in Final Fantasy XI when my phone rang... I will never forget exactly what I was doing or where I was in the game.  Even months later, I'd get that tug on the heartstrings when I was crossing the bridge near where we were when I heard the news.

I'll also never forget someone who was very important to me during that period - someone I'd never met in real life.  Someone who was so supportive and sensitive (oh, yeah, he was, sorry if I'm ruining his reputation on GT!) If you've ever read the Metal and Myto show here, you know of whom I speak.

Thank you, Metal, from the bottom of my heart!   tear

thats alright Mighty-O(and i dont think i have a rep on here,LOL),i certainly remember that night..when you went,because you were the gal to goto,i kept getting messages ingame 'wheres myto'(felt like thousands of people wanted to know where you were at that time),everyone in our linkshell was concerned

i dont think i have had any really bad news while playing a game....unfortunately it prolly will happen though at somepoint,i play that much,if i am not in work or asleep,then i am on a videogame

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 23, 2008, 02:41:03 PM

I was playing Everquest when I heard about the 9/11 stuff. Ironically, I heard about it and got news updates through the in game chat.
Same here!  eek

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »

I was playing Nintendo when my mom told me my grandfather passed away. It was a weird situation because I had never been very close to him, but at the same time it was the first person I knew that died. I remember that awkward few moments where I'm trying to decide if I should go back to my game since there's nothing I can do about the situation, or if that would be horribly callous of me.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:35:55 AM »

I was playing a game when I found out that my brother was at the hospital with a brain aneurysm. I *think* it was Mechwarrior 4 but I can't say for sure. Everything was kind of a blurr after that, although thankfully he did make a full recovery.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:11:49 AM »

Not a personal bad news but I was playing City of Heroes when Christopher Reeve died. I remember all the talk that day in game and people doing in game memorials and chats and this one guy that made a steel grey Superman look alike and stood standing in salute all day at Atlas Square like a statue.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:32 AM »

One time while it was just my mom and I (the rest of the family was in another country) I was playing Counter-Strike when a fire caught in the bathroom, my mom called the fire department and the whole debacle went on as I continued to play CS without ever looking away from the monitor. It's not that I didn't care, I was young and ignoring my mom for whatever reason so I continued to make my point of ignoring her by ignoring the fact that the there was a team of firefighters in my house.

Other than that, I'm sure I've heard terrible news while playing video games and just don't recall.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:43:17 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 23, 2008, 08:23:35 PM

I was playing Nintendo when my mom told me my grandfather passed away. It was a weird situation because I had never been very close to him, but at the same time it was the first person I knew that died. I remember that awkward few moments where I'm trying to decide if I should go back to my game since there's nothing I can do about the situation, or if that would be horribly callous of me.

I know exactly how you felt. Happened to me quite a few times (though not at the news of someone ding, though, or necessarily playing a game).

Quote from: Daehawk on September 24, 2008, 05:11:49 AM

Not a personal bad news but I was playing City of Heroes when Christopher Reeve died. I remember all the talk that day in game and people doing in game memorials and chats and this one guy that made a steel grey Superman look alike and stood standing in salute all day at Atlas Square like a statue.

That's just awesome (the statue salute, not Reeve's death).

I've never gotten terrible news while playing a game, at least not any that I recall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: