http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, my wife and I moved!  (Read 1678 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »

That is the good news, the bad news is I am feeling so overwhelmed.  Fencing was supposed to be delivered by 8:00 AM on saturday.  Lowes arrives at 2:30.  In getting the fencing off the truck they damage the road, then they get halfway into the yard and the fencing fell off the front of the forks, damaging half the panels.  In the end I don't get fencing finished until 9 PM roughly last night.  On top of that we had to pull paneling and drop ceilings down in the basement at the suggestion of the home inspector.  When we pull the paneling down we find that the previous owner had the concrete block wall, that was plastered and painted, then attached 2x4 as firring strips, then he put a thick plastic sheeting up, then finally the panelling.  The plastic trapped all the moisture which is what caused the water damage and mold.  So on Friday we pull all that down, and had to remove 85% of the plaster as water had gotten underneath it.  Then we sprayed the walls with a bleach solution, pressure washed them and painted them with a triple coat of kills.  While at it we removed a wall that wasn't needed structuraly.  On saturday night I called my dad and told him I made the biggest mistake in my life thinking I was able to handle owning a home.  I am a nervous wreck and can barely walk at this point.  All I know is I sure hope this is worth it.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:21:19 PM »

Well, owning a home isn't the biggest mistake. Buying a fixer upper for your first home might be.

We did the same thing- though it sounds like yours is more of a fixer upper.  It consumed lots and lots and lots of nights and weekends. I learned a lot and it made me a very competent home repair guy.

But when we bought the house, we had the options to buy a brand new townhouse for about 25k more.  Wish we'd taken that from the perspective of time invested and money spent.

However, given what we were able to make selling it 5 years later, it turned out to be the right move from a financial perspective.

Buck up.  It's overwhelming, that's for sure. Just take it a project at a time.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:31:48 PM »

On top of that we had to pull paneling and drop ceilings down in the basement at the suggestion of the home inspector.

Why didnt the home inspector look above the panels when doing the inspection?  This should have been caught and you could have had the seller make the correction before purchasing the house.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 02:08:16 PM »

Quote from: drifter on May 14, 2007, 01:31:48 PM

On top of that we had to pull paneling and drop ceilings down in the basement at the suggestion of the home inspector.

Why didnt the home inspector look above the panels when doing the inspection?  This should have been caught and you could have had the seller make the correction before purchasing the house.

A home inspector does only a visual inspection.  I believe that they will not move anything during an inspection (not to look behind a washing machine, or move panels of a dropdown ceiling, despite how easy it would be). 

Arkon, it'll get easier.  Always headaches with a home unfortunately, but so long as there wasn't structural damage, it's recoverable.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:12:25 PM »

Just imagine; you could have bought a NEW home and had foundation cracks, etc...

At this point you are doing alright. Hang in there; once you start to tackle and win these issues you'll be a fully indoctrinated home owner and handyman.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »

Yeah at least here in PA inspectors aren't technically allowed to move anything.  Looking above the drop ceiling wouldn't have been possible anyways... they were butted up against the joices...had to literally tear it out.  And it was just really the combination of everything that go to me.  There really wasn't much mold, and if my wife wasn't pregnant the project could have waited.  But having that and then trying to deal with Lowes messing up the delivery, knowing the fence wouldn't get done on time just really got to me.  Overall it isn't a bad house, and isn't really what I would call a fixer upper.  Now that the fence and basement are done, we don't have anything else we HAVE to do anytime soon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »

Congrats on your new house Arkon!  You did remember to check to make sure it wasn't built on an ancient Indian burial ground, right?  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 02:21:26 PM

Congrats on your new house Arkon!  You did remember to check to make sure it wasn't built on an ancient Indian burial ground, right?  icon_biggrin

Dang I knew I forgot something, that must be it!

Hopefully I get my tractor in the next day or so as my 2 acres of yard is about 9 inches tall.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »

You need goats.

Ye Olde Farte
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »

Home Inspection varies from state to state.  It is supposed to be a non-intrusive inspection which means you can move things but they have to be put back or be meant to be moved; what they cannot do is anything that would cause damage like drill a small inspection hall to look inside a wall for suspected damage.

Just make a list of what you need to get fixed, prioritize it, and deal with the items one at a time.  Do not dwell on the whole list, just focus on the next task at hand.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »

It's really quite simple. You start from the foundation and work your way up!
I learned that from This Old House.

Ye Olde Farte
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 14, 2007, 03:01:54 PM

I was going to say he doesn't have a Norm to help, but then realized that Norm was from Yankee Workshop, not This Old House.

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2007, 03:04:40 PM

I was going to say he doesn't have a Norm to help, but then realized that Norm was from Yankee Workshop, not This Old House.

Sounds more like he could use a beer.  I bet Arkon would prefer this Norm:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 14, 2007, 03:42:01 PM

All that Norm does is sit around and get drunk.  I doubt he'd be much help.  And he'd probably bring Cliff too....

Because I can,
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 04:00:51 PM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Owning a house is a smart thing to do as it builds wealth.

Just remember that you don't need to do everything at once and it won't feel so daunting.
I know you can do this.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

The only thing I learned from This Old House was that if it was YOUR show you could swing a hammer twice during demolition of a kitchen, segway to a particular countertop choice and then walk back in and have all the new cabinets installed already and "lend a hand" to the crew ACTUALLY DOING the work.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 04:35:06 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 14, 2007, 03:42:01 PM

Alcohol... yuck no thanks.

And yeah I need to just take it 1 day at a time
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »

Which tractor did you get?

I have an acre and I love getting out on the lawn tractor.  I'm kind of disappointed we didn't have more land so I could get a bigger one. 

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 03:28:56 AM »

congrats on the new house, sorry it's a fixer upper, but it sounds like you are punching through it. One note, don't use Killz anymore, PM me if you are going to do anymore painting and I'll get you hooked up so that if you run into any other surprises along the way you can tackle them a lot easier than applying 3 coats of a second rate product. Now with that out of the way, I think you're off to a great start and you shouldn't stop while you have momentum. I've still got parts of my Kitchen to finish painting, and my half-bath is in shambles.

I love owning a home though, and the work I put into the yard, cut down a tree yesterday, is fun. Painted the entire house outside and in, fixed a lot stuff the previous owners were too lazy to work on. It's rewarding, and my home is worth easily 50% more than when I bought it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »

Don, not sure on the tractor, my father in law is buying us a tractor in exchange for letting them store a sailboat on the back of our property.

Tebunker, unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to shop around on paint, and just wanted something that was designed with mold in mind.  I went with the odorless kills, and didn't need three coats, I just decided to use all 3 gallons I bought so just kept reapplying until I was out.  In June I am looking to possibly do some painting in the house when my wife is gone for a week.  She is pregnant so right now can't be around paint fumes.

Last night was much better.  The dogs slept well as did my wife and I.  We did a bit of unpacking but not much else.  Things on my list to do:

1.Replace the kitchen sink drain, they have it hodge-podged together, it works but drains a bit slow due to using an undersized drain pipe.
2.Replace a bunch of older 2 prong outlets with up to date outlets.
3.Work on some wiring issues (workboxes that aren't covered)
4.Run all new phone lines in the house.  The box where the phone comes in is older than anything I have seen.  The phone line comes in to what looks like 2 porcelain transisters.
5.Go back and continue adjusting my fencing.
6.Reroute the oil lines for the furnace.  The previous owner buried them under the dirt floor of the integral garage.  Need to unbury them, and run new lines that follow the ceiling instead.

Once I get that done I will be a bit more comfortable.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

Well, just got my internet hooked up.  Have verizon DSL, and due to brick walls in various spots, running ethernet cable at this time is out of the question so I had to go wireless despite hating wireless.  So far the speeds aren't too bad.

Oh and the tractor is a 42" deck Troy Built.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 11:33:22 PM »

Well, If you don't want to wait until June there's this:

http://www3.sherwin.com/do_it_yourself/sherwin_williams_products/greensmart.jsp ; Harmony has no volatile organic chemicals and no smell/fumes. I would still recommend it or the Duration Home regardless, so you don't have to worry about anything like that.

I love home remodeling, and you are really tackling some cool things, I say that as I stare at the pile of Wainscoting I have been putting off in my half-bath...

Oh and now that you are wireless is there a Wii in the future slywink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 11:35:52 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 01:08:49 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 19, 2007, 11:33:22 PM

Well, If you don't want to wait until June there's this:

http://www3.sherwin.com/do_it_yourself/sherwin_williams_products/greensmart.jsp ; Harmony has no volatile organic chemicals and no smell/fumes. I would still recommend it or the Duration Home regardless, so you don't have to worry about anything like that.

I love home remodeling, and you are really tackling some cool things, I say that as I stare at the pile of Wainscoting I have been putting off in my half-bath...

Oh and now that you are wireless is there a Wii in the future slywink

Nah, my brother has one for his kids... I played for a few hours and haven't really had a desire to try it again at this point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: